• Announcements

    • Admin 3

      UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

      After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,482 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

What kind of money do you think he will command?

Hard to tell, but I think he is looking for long term deal. Probably more than we gave Sharece Wright. And I don't know if that's the route we want to take. Sure, he could be very good when completely healthy, but when was the last time he was 100% ? 

Could we bring back Jeraud Powers, who is familiar with our system? Would that be better option? Or Lardarius Webb? I would love to have Webby back, but who knows what it would take to make it happen.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Martin Maryland said:

Hard to tell, but I think he is looking for long term deal. Probably more than we gave Sharece Wright. And I don't know if that's the route we want to take. Sure, he could be very good when completely healthy, but when was the last time he was 100% ? 

Could we bring back Jeraud Powers, who is familiar with our system? Would that be better option? Or Lardarius Webb? I would love to have Webby back, but who knows what it would take to make it happen.

 

I don't think he would command that much, but the risk is dependent on the price

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, usmccharles said:

Do you even follow the Ravens on a regular basis or is this like your first week?

 just wonder with all the teams looking at players why we weren't this year. We have been pretty active this year where we  usually aren't.

Edited by Sunday QB
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sunday QB said:

 just wonder with all the teams looking at players why we weren't this year. We have been pretty active this year where we  usually aren't.

Do you recall us bringing in two new faces?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Do you recall us bringing in two new faces?

Ozzie said we aren't done making moves, so I wondering if we were bringing in players for visits, that's all. No big deal.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, from what I'm seeing on twitter, it looks like the Ravens are offering about $5M per year for Claiborne and he wants more like $7.5M per year. 

He may be a one year prove it guy.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$5M is way too rich for player missing in more games than he's playing.

$7.5M is outrageous, he is dreaming.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

$5M is way too rich for player missing in more games than he's playing.

$7.5M is outrageous, he is dreaming.

Doesn't look like he has a choice if he hasn't signed with someone else by now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

$5M is way too rich for player missing in more games than he's playing.

$7.5M is outrageous, he is dreaming.

He lucky getting 5 per year which it to rich but i get it . sounds like a 3 year deal there trying to get done with him 3 year 15 million. He needs to be drug tested if he thinks he's getting 7.5 per

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

$5M is way too rich for player missing in more games than he's playing.

$7.5M is outrageous, he is dreaming.

This offseason has been full of "you have to be kidding me!" contracts and (sadly?) paying Claibourne $7.5 million per year would be no where near the worst contract hand out, maybe not even top 10 worst.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Claiborne does realise a season is 16+ games long, right? $7.5m a year for him?:lol:

Edited by mc_red23
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mc_red23 said:

Claiborne does realise a season is 16+ games long, right? $7.5m a year for him?:lol:

lol I don't think any team's gonna pay that. I think he's waiting for more than what we're giving him but he'll probably settle here.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ravensnick said:

This offseason has been full of "you have to be kidding me!" contracts and (sadly?) paying Claibourne $7.5 million per year would be no where near the worst contract hand out, maybe not even top 10 worst.

Contracts like what?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, Martin Maryland said:

Here's the deal

Ravens get CB Malcolm Butler

Patsies get Ravens 1st rounder (#16) and the bag of properly inflated footballs.

dats what I'm talkin about

-4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Martin Maryland said:

Come On, I never implied Ozzie Newsome was terrible. On contrary I think we got the best of the best GM. 

And one his best deals came in 2010 Draft when he TRADED RAVENS 1ST ROUND PICK No.25 to Denver Broncos. 2 years later Ravens were Superbowl Champions. What? Ozzie traded out of the 1st round? Yes, he did,. 

First off, I never said trading down in a draft to accumulate more picks is a bad idea. That's grabbing more players on rookie deals not grabbing a 1 yr rental that we won't be willing to pay $13m/yr to. 

Totally different scenarios. 

And of the couple times we've traded out of a first time you've picked arguably the worst of the bunch. 

We traded back from pick 25 to I believe 43 and picked up an extra 3rd and 4th round pick. 

Those netted us Sergio Kindle, Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta. Only Pitta was integral in winning the SB and we could've selected him anyways. 

By trading back we missed an opportunity to draft Gronk who we were really high on and got taken by the Pats one pick ahead of us at 42 which would've made the one positive of trading out of the 1st (Pitta) completely irrelevant. Or maybe we'd have both. 

Couldve also grabbed Devin McCourty, Jerry Hughes or TJ Ward and had the safety issues solved that led to Elam/Brooks/Huff revolving door or got us the dominant pass rusher across from Suggs we've desperately needed. 

Thats all hypothetical though. And it's irrelevant bc this trade has nothing in common with your Butler proposal. 

Even if it did, this is a horrible example of a trade that "worked." Yea we won a SB 2 years later in spite of, not bc of this trade. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

First off, I never said trading down in a draft to accumulate more picks is a bad idea. That's grabbing more players on rookie deals not grabbing a 1 yr rental that we won't be willing to pay $13m/yr to. 

Totally different scenarios. 

And of the couple times we've traded out of a first time you've picked arguably the worst of the bunch. 

We traded back from pick 25 to I believe 43 and picked up an extra 3rd and 4th round pick. 

Those netted us Sergio Kindle, Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta. Only Pitta was integral in winning the SB and we could've selected him anyways. 

By trading back we missed an opportunity to draft Gronk who we were really high on and got taken by the Pats one pick ahead of us at 42 which would've made the one positive of trading out of the 1st (Pitta) completely irrelevant. Or maybe we'd have both. 

Couldve also grabbed Devin McCourty, Jerry Hughes or TJ Ward and had the safety issues solved that led to Elam/Brooks/Huff revolving door or got us the dominant pass rusher across from Suggs we've desperately needed. 

Thats all hypothetical though. And it's irrelevant bc this trade has nothing in common with your Butler proposal. 

Even if it did, this is a horrible example of a trade that "worked." Yea we won a SB 2 years later in spite of, not bc of this trade. 

Also the Broncos weren't coming off of a superbowl win

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't entirely get the infatuation with Claiborne. As Ravens fans we know more than anyone how frustrating injury prone players are. It's tough when during the offseason you plan on a certain guy filling a role for you and then the season starts and all of a sudden that player in basically never on the field. We deal with it on a yearly basis at CB as it is. Jimmy is depended on to be the #1 shutdown guy and then once gets banged up the entire unit basically crumbles. 

With Claiborne we aren't talking about a moderately injury prone player, we're talking about a guy who has played in just 22/48 games the last 3 years. Meaning he literally sits more games than he plays. When do we ever have good luck with injury prone players? The answer is never. I'll pass, he's talented when healthy but we need dependable guys. We're an injury carousel every year as it is. 

Edited by sflegend89
5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

So, from what I'm seeing on twitter, it looks like the Ravens are offering about $5M per year for Claiborne and he wants more like $7.5M per year. 

He may be a one year prove it guy.

He has to be. He better be. 

What team is going to multi -year a guy who has yet to play a full year?

Even if he comes here, I wager we take two corners we think capable of starting in short order. Ozzie is smarter than that. He knows this guy won't give us sixteen.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sflegend89 said:

I don't entirely get the infatuation with Claiborne. As Ravens fans we know more than anyone how frustrating injury prone players are. It's tough when during the offseason you plan on a certain guy filling a role for you and then the season starts and all of a sudden that player in basically never on the field. We deal with it on a yearly basis at CB as it is. Jimmy is depended on to be the #1 shutdown guy and then once gets banged up the entire unit basically crumbles. 

With Claiborne we aren't talking about a moderately injury prone player, we're talking about a guy who has played in just 22/48 games the last 3 years. Meaning he literally sits more games than he plays. When do we ever have good luck with injury prone players? The answer is never. I'll pass, he's talented when healthy but we need dependable guys. We're an injury carousel every year as it is. 

Bingo. Last year was his, " prove it " year. Seven games proves you didn't prove it.

Dirt cheap with my fingers crossed , taking two other corners in the draft for one year works.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sflegend89 said:

I don't entirely get the infatuation with Claiborne. As Ravens fans we know more than anyone how frustrating injury prone players are. It's tough when during the offseason you plan on a certain guy filling a role for you and then the season starts and all of a sudden that player in basically never on the field. We deal with it on a yearly basis at CB as it is. Jimmy is depended on to be the #1 shutdown guy and then once gets banged up the entire unit basically crumbles. 

With Claiborne we aren't talking about a moderately injury prone player, we're talking about a guy who has played in just 22/48 games the last 3 years. Meaning he literally sits more games than he plays. When do we ever have good luck with injury prone players? The answer is never. I'll pass, he's talented when healthy but we need dependable guys. We're an injury carousel every year as it is. 

I don't think we're dependent on taking him, nor will we be dependent on him once he's ours if it works out that way. There's still no doubt in my mind that we grab an early CB with or without him (and probably a later one too), just so we're not relying on Jimmy staying healthy if/when Claiborne goes down. That way if he can't perform or he can't stay healthy we have a young, at the very least decent corner(s) that won't leave us as stranded as last year. I think we'll probably just give Claiborne a prove-it deal if he decides to go with Baltimore, no point in giving a medium/long term contract to someone that can't play one out. Worst case scenario Jimmy and Claiborne go down we're slightly better off than we were last year.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cillmatic said:

Contracts like what?

Robert Woods, Matt Kalil, Russell Okung, Mike Glennon (particularly because no other team offered him more than $10 million per year), Malcolm Smith, Juice, Marcus Cooper, Kenny Stills to name some terrible deals

Edited by ravensnick
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

First off, I never said trading down in a draft to accumulate more picks is a bad idea. That's grabbing more players on rookie deals not grabbing a 1 yr rental that we won't be willing to pay $13m/yr to. 

Totally different scenarios. 

And of the couple times we've traded out of a first time you've picked arguably the worst of the bunch. 

We traded back from pick 25 to I believe 43 and picked up an extra 3rd and 4th round pick. 

Those netted us Sergio Kindle, Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta. Only Pitta was integral in winning the SB and we could've selected him anyways. 

By trading back we missed an opportunity to draft Gronk who we were really high on and got taken by the Pats one pick ahead of us at 42 which would've made the one positive of trading out of the 1st (Pitta) completely irrelevant. Or maybe we'd have both. 

Couldve also grabbed Devin McCourty, Jerry Hughes or TJ Ward and had the safety issues solved that led to Elam/Brooks/Huff revolving door or got us the dominant pass rusher across from Suggs we've desperately needed. 

Thats all hypothetical though. And it's irrelevant bc this trade has nothing in common with your Butler proposal. 

Even if it did, this is a horrible example of a trade that "worked." Yea we won a SB 2 years later in spite of, not bc of this trade. 

You forget that Jerry Hughes flamed out of Indy, and that personally, Sergio Kindle was one of the best players I've seen play for the University of Texas. He was going to be a beast if he didn't get hurt like that. Broncos got Tebow out of that deal, so it ended up still being better for us, even if we only netted Pitta.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

First off, I never said trading down in a draft to accumulate more picks is a bad idea. That's grabbing more players on rookie deals not grabbing a 1 yr rental that we won't be willing to pay $13m/yr to. 

Totally different scenarios. 

And of the couple times we've traded out of a first time you've picked arguably the worst of the bunch. 

We traded back from pick 25 to I believe 43 and picked up an extra 3rd and 4th round pick. 

Those netted us Sergio Kindle, Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta. Only Pitta was integral in winning the SB and we could've selected him anyways. 

By trading back we missed an opportunity to draft Gronk who we were really high on and got taken by the Pats one pick ahead of us at 42 which would've made the one positive of trading out of the 1st (Pitta) completely irrelevant. Or maybe we'd have both. 

Couldve also grabbed Devin McCourty, Jerry Hughes or TJ Ward and had the safety issues solved that led to Elam/Brooks/Huff revolving door or got us the dominant pass rusher across from Suggs we've desperately needed. 

Thats all hypothetical though. And it's irrelevant bc this trade has nothing in common with your Butler proposal. 

Even if it did, this is a horrible example of a trade that "worked." Yea we won a SB 2 years later in spite of, not bc of this trade. 

I hear your point but tend to disagree a bit. Dickson was starter before Pitta took over and we were using both of them, which played to our advantage and they both made important catches in Superbowl.

I agree about the safety issues, I myself was hoping we get McCourty and Pat's sbatched him out and then Gronk, yes, that sucked. 

As far as Butler proposal, I wouldn't offer him anything more than 1yr deal no more than 10 mil, but we both know Saints will trump that tomorow, so that's mute point.

It's interesting because he makes 3.6 mil playing for NE and we have folks on here talking about giving Claiborne 15mil/3yr. deal is not bad. Not bad, really? 

Look, I'm tired of loosing games in last 2 mins playing prevent defense which prevents us from winning. This team should be 12-4 team, but as long as we have leak on left side of our secondary, we be somewhere between 8-8 and 7-9.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because Claiborne wants $7.5 mil doesn't mean someone's going to pay that steep price for a talented, but injury prone corner. My guess is he realizes that sooner rather than later, and accepts the $5 mil from the Ravens. Unless of course, the jets pony up and make a desperate attempt to sign him.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Martin Maryland said:

I hear your point but tend to disagree a bit. Dickson was starter before Pitta took over and we were using both of them, which played to our advantage and they both made important catches in Superbowl.

I agree about the safety issues, I myself was hoping we get McCourty and Pat's sbatched him out and then Gronk, yes, that sucked. 

As far as Butler proposal, I wouldn't offer him anything more than 1yr deal no more than 10 mil, but we both know Saints will trump that tomorow, so that's mute point.

It's interesting because he makes 3.6 mil playing for NE and we have folks on here talking about giving Claiborne 15mil/3yr. deal is not bad. Not bad, really? 

Look, I'm tired of loosing games in last 2 mins playing prevent defense which prevents us from winning. This team should be 12-4 team, but as long as we have leak on left side of our secondary, we be somewhere between 8-8 and 7-9.

a 3yr/$15m deal for Claiborne wouldnt be actually $5m/yr.

You offer him 3 so you can move the money around and get him cheap in year 1 (prob like $2m, $3m max)... with an option to keep him on a reasonable $4-5m deal if he plays well and proves himself for year 2... with year 3 having no guaranteed money but a higher salary figure bc you know youre going to either a) extend him if he plays well or b ) cut him before year 3 if hes often injured or doesnt play well with no penalty whatsoever.

 

In that Claiborne deal he likely has less than $10m in cap charges over 2 full years if he plays well. 

To get Butler we'd have to offer more than the $3.6m tender and give up the pick. Or work out a trade separate to that where we take on just the $3.6m but still, youre not factoring in the value of the pick. $3.6m + the value of the pick is MUCH higher. thats 4-5 year of potentially elite talent on a cost effective deal you skip out on, just to get Butler for one year where youre prob not a serious SB contender anyways.... so why mortgage the future for him?

 

If a number of things go right, i do think we can get into the playoffs, and at that point we're a dangerous team. Anything can happen.

But its not like we're in a position where a very good CB2 is the only glaring piece thats keeping us from winning a SB. Is a guy like Butler could potentially be the one piece that puts us over the top and makes us odds on favorites to win a SB -- ok, then i could see some rationale to making a move like that.

But, with holes on the OL, needs in the secondary, a need for a young pass rusher, and more weapons on offense.... taking our biggest asset and wasting it on a 1 yr upgrade at CB makes no sense for me.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Claiborne is playing diva, with zero reasson to do so. At this point, I'd prefer we give him a pass.

So are we doing anything for the offense this year?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ravensdfan said:

Claiborne is playing diva, with zero reasson to do so. At this point, I'd prefer we give him a pass.

So are we doing anything for the offense this year?

Retained Marty, re-focusing on building the run game, brought in new OL coach and Greg Roman, cut Zuttah, picked up wallace's option, signed Woodhead.

Upgrade Center and i think we're ready to roll. 

 

Gotta think about this too -- we've recently invested top picks at WR, TE, and LT... with other picks at TE, WR, and G. I think they're expecting return on those investments now... Perriman to pick up the slack of SSS retiring, Maxx Williams/Boyle/Gillmore to give us vertical field stretching, and Camp, Moore or Reynolds to step up and give us a decent #3/4 WR.

Dixon once returning will be expected to shoulder the load at RB.

 

I think C and maybe RT are the only spots where you could really question what are we doing. But we just made a bunch of cap clearing moves with no spend. So i imagine somethings coming. Theres a plan, we just have to be patient.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ravensdfan said:

Claiborne is playing diva, with zero reasson to do so. At this point, I'd prefer we give him a pass.

So are we doing anything for the offense this year?

Apparently we like having a middle-of-the-pack QB with a 24M cap hit and give him no help. Even the truly elite QB's like Brady and Rodgers who can make it happen with limited talent around them have had their weapons beefed up this offseason. 

This isn't a good offensive draft and an already poor unit has lost 3 of it's best players (Juice, Wagner, SSS)... We can put on the purple glasses all we want but the offense is going nowhere fast. It needed a major injection of talent and instead of signing a high end WR or OL we opt to blow a big contract on a Nose Tackle. I love Brandon Williams, he's an absolute stud... but the allocation of money is questionable at best

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Retained Marty, re-focusing on building the run game, brought in new OL coach and Greg Roman, cut Zuttah, picked up wallace's option, signed Woodhead.

Upgrade Center and i think we're ready to roll. 

 

I don't consider that unit anywhere near ready to roll, they were anemic last year and have only gotten worse thus far. Let's really break this down so far:

Pros:

Retained Marty: Is that really a distinct plus? Many wanted him gone. I'm willing to give him a chance with a full offseason to prepare and build but I think this is more of a question mark rather than a plus as of right now.

Greg Roman: This move I like. Going in the right direction of re-establishing a viable run game

Cut Zuttah: While his performance was underwhelming, he was a middle of the pack Center, could certainly have had worse. Is Urschel really an immediate upgrade if that's the direction we go, I'm not convinced of that. Could spend a mid-late round pick (Possibly on a Guard who could fill in there) but there but the apparent upgrade at that position remains to be seen right now.

Woodhead: Could be a sold contributor but he's 30+ coming off an ACL

 

Cons:

- Lost SSS, our best leader on offense, our ball winner in go-to situations, great blocker, brought tremendous fire and accountability to the unit

- Lost Wagner, one of the best RT's in football, that's a huge hole to fill

- Lost Juice, great lead blocker and pass catcher, super versatile, trending upwards in production

 

We still have more FA opportunities, we still have the draft. I'm willing to give this FO adequate time to make the type of moves that need to be made to actually improve this unit. But as of right now the cons outweigh the pros in terms of significance, the unit is far from ready to roll. They weren't ready to roll when they still had a future HOF'er, elite RT, and best FB in the league.

 

 

 

 

Edited by sflegend89
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sflegend89 said:

I don't consider that unit anywhere near ready to roll, they were anemic last year and have only gotten worse thus far. Let's really break this down so far:

Pros:

Retained Marty: Is that really a distinct plus? Many wanted him gone. I'm willing to give him a chance with a full offseason to prepare and build but I think this is more of a question mark rather than a plus as of right now.

Greg Roman: This move I like. Going in the right direction of re-establishing a viable run game

Cut Zuttah: While his performance was underwhelming, he was a middle of the pack Center, could certainly have had worse. Is Urschel really an immediate upgrade if that's the direction we go, I'm not convinced of that. Could spend a mid-late round pick (Possibly on a Guard who could fill in there) but there but the apparent upgrade at that position remains to be seen right now.

Woodhead: Could be a sold contributor but he's 30+ coming off an ACL

 

Cons:

- Lost SSS, our best leader on offense, our ball winner in go-to situations, great blocker, brought tremendous fire and accountability to the unit

- Lost Wagner, one of the best RT's in football, that's a huge hole to fill

- Lost Juice, great lead blocker and pass catcher, super versatile, trending upwards in production

 

We still have more FA opportunities, we still have the draft. I'm willing to give this FO adequate time to make the type of moves that need to be made to actually improve this unit. But as of right now with the cons outweigh the pros in terms of significance, the unit is far from ready to roll. They weren't ready to roll when they still had a future HOF'er, elite RT, and best FB in the league.

 

 

 

 

Keep in mind our lack of offensive identity last year. Hopefully (and it seems like) we're trying to go back to the run game, which many assume is the reason we cut Zuttah. It's still way too early to judge either way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now