• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,454 posts in this topic

I wanted Zach Brown last year when he left the Titans.

I feel like he is trying to cash in on being a young ILB coming off two pro bowl level years. He is 27 and is probably asking for 4yrs and some gtrd money. Not sure why he isnt getting it.

Not sure whats going on with Claiborne either. He is an above average corner under 30. I thought someone would have dumped a fat contract on him by now.

@BOLDnPurPnBlacK

As for Ryan Clady at RT...not so sure about that. There is the injury history going and I suppose if no other team offers him a lucrative enough contract to be a LT, he might be willing to move to RT on a short term deal just to prove he's healthy and is also now versatile enough to do that.

C: Nick Mangold's name has been uttered numerous times around here because he's really the best option out there in an extremely weak market.

G: Lang is being heavily pursued by the Seahawks, met with the Lions, and the Packers want to bring him back. To me that spells bidding war and too high a price tag.

WR: Floyd is a risk and the question becomes right player, right price. For the right price he's worth the risk in my opinion but first thing is first for him and he needs to make sure he's taking care of himself. If that is the case and he's handling it then I suppose he deserves another chance. I've had a few people I know get killed by drunk drivers so I consider DWI's and DUI's to be rather serious. Patterson is supposedly wanted back in Minnesota but he still wants to get paid. We need a bit more of a reliable weapon that he is and we do have other return options on the team.

ILB: Perhaps Brown's asking price is much higher than anyone wants to pay and that's why there's been no movement on him. Or perhaps his agents are waiting to see what Hightower gets to set the bar on his contract ask? Other than that I don't understand why the chatter is so quiet for him. A return to Buffalo doesn't seem likely. If Minter is good enough against the run we could do a rotational thing where on passing downs he gets replaced by a hybrid safety/backer like Levine or Onwusar?

OLB: Doom is an option for sure on a smaller contract, I don't think Ware is a good option for us because we need starter snaps and that applies to Freeny as well. I don't want to pay for a one year wonder like Walden, Datone Jones could be a nice rotational piece between OLB/DE like a Pernell McPhee, and out of all of the options I like Connor Barwin the best. I think Mario Williams if anything should be considered more of a 3-4 end than an OLB.

S: Byrd was a star in Buffalo before having two injury seasons in New Orleans before getting benched in his third. He still registers a lot of tackles. The knee injury is a torn meniscus and has been giving him fits with swelling since the original injury occurred. Since he wouldn't start for us maybe he can stay healthy for a full season and prolong his career this way. I like the idea of Webb coming back on a more team friendly deal and expressed that when news broke of his release.

DE: Don't like the idea of Hunt. He was getting coached up by Kevin Greene this last off season and we're not looking for more developmental talent here, we've already got that. I like Devin Taylor. Getting Odrick would be interesting. He visited the Pats and they passed on him before signing Guy. Odrick could come here to replace Guy? I also think if Mario Williams is going to continue his career it should come at this position. He would be guaranteed nothing but a chance to earn starter snaps based on how well he performs. He could be completely done, but if he has anything left in the tank he would be a great pick up assuming he would play well. Big risk there, that's why the salary would have to be almost peanuts.

CB: House or Claiborne with Claiborne being my first choice. Not interested in Carr because he's likely to get paid higher than his production. His numbers have really tailed off the last three seasons as a full time starter and now he's 31.

Here are the "official" deets on the Jefferson and Woodhead contracts via ProFootballRumors:

"Danny Woodhead, RB (Ravens): Three years, $8.8MM. $4.25MM guaranteed. $1.75MM cap number for 2017 (Twitter links via Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun). As Ian Rapoport of NFL.com observes (via Twitter), that represents a sizeable investment for a running back in this market. Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports tweets that Woodhead gets a $2.5MM signing bonus.

Tony Jefferson, S (Ravens): Four years, $34MM (max value of $37MM). $19MM guaranteed. $5.5MM cap number for 2017 (Twitter links via Zrebiec). La Canfora tweets that Jefferson gets a $10MM signing bonus."

I agree that we're paying Woodhead an awful lot after coming back from a couple of severe injuries and at age 32. It very well could be a 1 year $4.25 million deal. For about a million more we could have kept Juice.

We all knew Jefferson wasn't coming here for peanuts but the Browns offer was supposed to be higher, I am just wondering by how much more?

Here's an under the radar signing for the Ravens interior line if they decide to kick Alex Lewis out to RT:

Tim Lelito has played all over the line in his time with New Orleans from LG, C, RG, RT, and has lined up as a TE. He is known as a better run blocker than pass protector at this point. He's only 27 and I am not sure what his market looks like but he's not one of those sexy names attracting a lot of attention. Might be worth a kick of the tires and if he doesn't pan out as a starter he offers very versatile depth.

Just now, EdTheMythicalOne said:

Here's an under the radar signing for the Ravens interior line if they decide to kick Alex Lewis out to RT:

Tim Lelito has played all over the line in his time with New Orleans from LG, C, RG, RT, and has lined up as a TE. He is known as a better run blocker than pass protector at this point. He's only 27 and I am not sure what his market looks like but he's not one of those sexy names attracting a lot of attention. Might be worth a kick of the tires and if he doesn't pan out as a starter he offers very versatile depth.

I really like this option. Looking at the available free agents he could be a nice addition. The line needs starters and depth and Lelito could be both. 

13 hours ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

I don't want to derail the conversation but I don't like false comments being attributed to me.

First of all @RayRayRaven, there is no speculation about Ed Reed's time being up and him being a shell of himself when he went to Houston, got cut, and then was signed on by the Jets. There is no speculation about Bernard Pollard not doing much of anything after he left Baltimore.

red this far and it clear we wastin time with  u. lets get u in da draff contest wanna see hows u do

Edited by RayRayRaven

10 minutes ago, ravensdan said:

I really like this option. Looking at the available free agents he could be a nice addition. The line needs starters and depth and Lelito could be both. 

Supposedly his best position is at Guard. We've got a lot of bodies on the team right now for possible LG/RT positions but not a lot of them have starting experience or very good starting experience.

Ryan Jensen at times has looked decent when filling in and horrible other times. James Hurst was a disaster at LT and maybe he is a better RT, but I don't want to risk Joe's other knee. Urschel doesn't seem to be enough of a mauler for the ground game as we might need at any position. Of course we have Alex Lewis and it really depends on where he lines up. After that you've got some people a lot of others wouldn't be that familair with:

Jarell Broxton, Jared Pughsley, Stephane Nembot, De'Ondre Wesley, and Matt Skura.

8 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

red this far and it clear we wastin time with  u. lets get u in da draff contest wanna see hows u do

I would say it is only a waste of time if you can't read that, look up the stats for yourself, and then see what reality is. I mean I am not making this stuff up.

I am not a draft guru. I don't follow college football at all so I won't engage in an effort where I am ignorant. My opinions would carry very little weight. If the guys that do this for a living (mock draft guys) can't get it right almost ever, then what chance do I have?

4 minutes ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

I would say it is only a waste of time if you can't read that, look up the stats for yourself, and then see what reality is. I mean I am not making this stuff up.

I am not a draft guru. I don't follow college football at all so I won't engage in an effort where I am ignorant. My opinions would carry very little weight. If the guys that do this for a living (mock draft guys) can't get it right almost ever, then what chance do I have?

You understood that?

We need speed at RB and there is no mention of latavius murray or jamal charles... Look at how bad derek carr struggled when murray didn't play ..they lost games and why carr wants him back.. He broke the raiders losing streak in 2014 in his first start and in that same game broke a 90+ homerun td against a #1 kc Run defense that never allowed td or 100 yd rusher in 12 games and also a 30 yd td with only a few carries.. Murray helped changed the raiders franchise with carr and mack that night..derek carr knows how good he is... Charles is got at least two years left in the tank and is still a burner..forget injuries its the nfl unless ur darren mcfadden

Edited by Ravens559

Just now, lgcs27288 said:

You understood that?

ye kin drin da beer bud dahn ye dare bun di spliff...

I am fluent in a lot of slangs.

4 minutes ago, Ravens559 said:

We need speed at RB and there is no mention of latavius murray or jamal charles... Look at how bad derek carr struggled when murray didn't play ..they lost games and why carr wants him back.. He broke the raiders losing streak in 2014 in his first start and in that same game broke a 90+ homerun td against a #1 kc Run defense that never allowed td or 100 yd rusher in 12 games and also a 30 yd td with only a few carries.. Murray helped changed the raiders franchise with carr and mack that night..derek carr knows how good he is...

bc price and J Charles injury history

5 minutes ago, Ravens559 said:

We need speed at RB and there is no mention of latavius murray or jamal charles... Look at how bad derek carr struggled when murray didn't play ..they lost games and why carr wants him back.. He broke the raiders losing streak in 2014 in his first start and in that same game broke a 90+ homerun td against a #1 kc Run defense that never allowed td or 100 yd rusher in 12 games and also a 30 yd td with only a few carries.. Murray helped changed the raiders franchise with carr and mack that night..derek carr knows how good he is...

I think it is price on both of those guys that have their names being absent around here. I haven't seen much run on those names, but I admittedly don't look on here every day and I don't scan back through thousands of posts.

Murray is a plodder overall and has averaged 4 yards a carry in his two seasons as the primary starter. Though he did pound the rock in for 12 TD's I find that pretty great especially for our offense that failed to do that in the ground game. His YPC number though is exactly the same as West's was last year. I kind of like the idea of adding him, but now you have to figure out where he fits in with West, Dixon, and Woodhead. I personally wouldn't mind letting West walk if it meant having Murray instead. I just don't know how high his market is right now.

As for Charles, he's a different story altogether. A big time home run hitter. Problem is he's 30 now and in 2015 he played 5 games and in 2016 he played only 3. Again, not sure what his money number is looking like but that is a big risk at this point to anoint this guy as your feature back. If healthy that would be sure fire thing, but then again he probably wouldn't still be on the market hunting for a job.

22 minutes ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

this is how far I read this time.

regards last nonsense. the F grade ours leaders got for not havin a trainsition plan has not much to do with how much farther ed and beranard took their carreers. it had to do with bringin a poorly draffed safety along. a guy that really needed help right off. not sayin bad draff elam wuld have turned it aroun but mayby he mighta got his head aroun his bad play with studs like reed and pollard givin advice. elam nevah was gonna grow hands ed. a guy got hands or he doan. you see ed, ya can't train hands up. you really cant. by the time a guy is 21 yrs ole he has hands or he doan. now i'll tel u some inside info ed, info that was loss on our leaders. you doan draff a safety or any corner than doan got hands. the reason being you draff guys that will help you pass the ball or you draff guys that will help you stop them from passin the ball. your leaders clear doan know that ed. cuz they draffed elam an signed jeffeerson, but now you do so we can discuss who is a good guy to draff.  welcum to the draff contest. I'll be watchin you. but bringin back up what you doan know bout past things is a waste of time and wont help u goin forwards. it will help me cuz I been there.  who will draff betta ed?

15 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

this is how far I read this time.

regards last nonsense. the F grade ours leaders got for not havin a trainsition plan has not much to do with how much farther ed and beranard took their carreers. it had to do with bringin a poorly draffed safety along. a guy that really needed help right off. not sayin bad draff elam wuld have turned it aroun but mayby he mighta got his head aroun his bad play with studs like reed and pollard givin advice. elam nevah was gonna grow hands ed. a guy got hands or he doan. you see ed, ya can't train hands up. you really cant. by the time a guy is 21 yrs ole he has hands or he doan. now i'll tel u some inside info ed, info that was loss on our leaders. you doan draff a safety or any corner than doan got hands. the reason being you draff guys that will help you pass the ball or you draff guys that will help you stop them from passin the ball. your leaders clear doan know that ed. cuz they draffed elam an signed jeffeerson, but now you do so we can discuss who is a good guy to draff.  welcum to the draff contest. I'll be watchin you. but bringin back up what you doan know bout past things is a waste of time and wont help u goin forwards. it will help me cuz I been there.  who will draff betta ed?

I am no longer having a conversation with you about Ed Reed or Bernard Pollard. I also never claimed that Matt Elam was a good pick, in fact I have been very vocal in the other direction. Just because Matt Elam wasn't a good pick doesn't mean that it wasn't time to let Reed and Pollard walk for very good reasons. You are making a very large leap accusing me of not knowing the past. It is you that is making some sort of revisionist history in regard to Reed and Pollard.

If you want to speak about the draft then go to the 2017 Draft Thread and we can talk there. This thread is about Free Agents so why not go ahead and take a look at my posts about players we might want to sign and see what you think about that and get back to me.

3 minutes ago, FastEddie said:

Does anyone think Conor Barwin has anything left?

I do, but I don't think he's what we should be looking for. I'd like to see us find a long term answer in the first round of the draft.

5 minutes ago, FastEddie said:

Does anyone think Conor Barwin has anything left?

Purp and I both mention his name and both of us think he's a decent fit in an short term situation as he moves out from DE and back to OLB for us in our scheme which is where he had success before with the Eagles before they changed their system.

32 minutes ago, The Raven said:

I do, but I don't think he's what we should be looking for. I'd like to see us find a long term answer in the first round of the draft.

I've mentioned him for several months now, but I'm in agreement- at his age, he's not the long term answer the Ravens want. However, I do think he's a very upstanding character and could help mentor KC, Judon, and Smith.

5 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I've mentioned him for several months now, but I'm in agreement- at his age, he's not the long term answer the Ravens want. However, I do think he's a very upstanding character and could help mentor KC, Judon, and Smith.

If we didn't have Suggs in the picture, I'd be all for Barwin.

patterson is still available PR/KR, ozzie should scoop him up, we have a good ST coach, he can by our jacoby that can score on ST

19 hours ago, allblackraven said:

Still free agents:

LB: Dont'a Hightower, Zach Brown, Kevin Minter
OL: TJ Lang, Nick Mangold,  D.J. Fluker
Edge: DeMarcus Ware, Connor Barwin,  Erik Walden
DL: Jared Odrick, Mario Williams,  Chris Long
CB: Morris Claiborne

Still waiting for this bigger more physical O line we heard about:

Lang - Rumored to 3 teams, none of which are us

Fluker - Gone to the GIants (for a measly 1 year $3 M contract) 

Mangold is still in play, it would appear 

Do you think Darrelle Revis is done? his drop off last year was steep and he admitted to weight issues, but I think somewhere I read that he lost a bunch of weight already for next season. Just throwing that out there.

5 minutes ago, balfan23 said:

Still waiting for this bigger more physical O line we heard about:

Lang - Rumored to 3 teams, none of which are us

Fluker - Gone to the GIants (for a measly 1 year $3 M contract) 

Mangold is still in play, it would appear 

Lang is a Lion next 3 years

5 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

Do you think Darrelle Revis is done? his drop off last year was steep and he admitted to weight issues, but I think somewhere I read that he lost a bunch of weight already for next season. Just throwing that out there.

Yes

On 3/11/2017 at 10:26 AM, rmw10 said:

There's not too much quality left out there

Sebastian Vollmer (who might retire), DJ Fluker (who apparently wants to play G), Austin Pastor (better at G), and I guess Andre Smith at RT are the best names left.

C still has Nick Mangold, John Sullivan, and Joe Hawley although you'd be hard pressed to prove any of them are actually better than Zuttah at this point.  Mangold if healthy but that's a big question mark as well.

I would have thought Fluker would be a target for us ... not just because of the Bama thing. While we've lost an RT, my expectation is that we're going to move Lewis to RT and try to fill the guard slot via FA or draft. I'd have thought he'd be well worth bringing in. 1 year $3M is all he got paid by the Giants. Think we could have pulled that off. Perhaps he hasn't lived up to his college reputation, but man, who would he have to beat of for a starting job? Jensen? 

I am really anxious over this position group. Unless Roman is bringing a magic wand with him, that group is going to struggle badly if we don't bring in help. 

Yeah - there's a long way to go before camp, but limited options are dwindling. 

7 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

Lang is a Lion next 3 years

Thanks for the update. Based on what I'd heard already, though, I'd already written him off. 

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

I'd like to see the same but I just don't see it. Feels like we are going O line in 1st again.

14 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

I'd like to see the same but I just don't see it. Feels like we are going O line in 1st again.

I don't think so unless we're pulling a Travis Frederick type pick at center.

Edited by The Raven