kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,450 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, RaineV1 said:

I think that Cooks trade is good for both teams. The Saints get more picks in a stacked draft to help rebuild their team while send Cooks out of the conference. And Pats are loaded for another run in the near future.

It doesn't make much sense to me. 

NO reportedly turned down the Titans middle 1st rounder. 

Then BB calls and offers the 32nd pick and they accept??? Makes zero sense. 

I could understand maybe if they really wanted another mid round pick but they gave up their 4th to get the 3rd. Moves them up maybe 15-20 spots but it's not an extra pick. 

The Titans pick was a WAY better offer if that report was true. 

56 minutes ago, Tyler said:

That's not to say that they don't draft a Mike Williams or a Corey Davis in the first round to pair with him. Or if not the 1st, Zay Jones, Juju Smith-Schuster, and so on in other rounds. Signing a Jeffrey or a Pryor to a 1 year deal wouldn't make sense to me, honestly. Perriman has the measurables, draft a guy to pair with him and see if this team can actually DEVELOP a group of wide receivers for a change. 

I personally think that if Mike Williams or Cory Davis is there, then they become Ravens. I think the draft is an option but I feel like they really wanted a Vet here, just don't want to overpay guys they feel won't play at a high level. 

Right now, Perriman is the #1.

5 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Same people complaining "how could we let Wagner walk for $10m/yr" also saying "terrified to let anyone leave."

interesting........

and that report of us asking Orr to reconsider came from the same guy who reported just before that that the reason we were meeting him was to sign an extension. 

Believe what you want. They even said there was no way he could ever get medically cleared again. Why would they "beg him to reconsider" when their own doctors wouldn't clear him to play. 

I get your agenda is to smash to FO... but let's at least deal in facts or reality. 

Of course it has little choice on free agents.  You tell me. The reports were ravens asked him to reconsider. And I never before questioned our management. But 2 losing seasons in a row and not getting any better. Said we were building an elite offensive line.(which I applauded on here) And proceed by allowing established players to walk while investing in venerable run stuffers. 

And yes I believe Orr was asked to hang around. We have a history of asking players not to retire. That is facts and reality. In an offensive driven league we let our offensive lineman walk while overpaying a limited venerable dime a dozen NT. Same people applauding Osemele's exit because the money are agreeing with Brandon Williams. And our coach recently said a players mental state is 3 times more important than his talent level. Come on now

12 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

couple of years? not to sound like a troll but brady is changing everything - itll be just everyone else's luck that he decides to defy the sands of time and play well into his 40s

Garappolo looks really good. Even Josh McCown said he is the real deal

1 minute ago, PurpleHorseman said:

And yes I believe Orr was asked to hang around.

i truly doubt the front office would ask him to risk his future and his livelihood in that way given the nature of his injury problem - this wasnt a chris borland, eugene monroe retirement where they weighed the potential risk and reward and decided against staying in the league, orr had a pre-existing condition that they were surprised hadnt already become a problem but could potentially ruin the rest of his life

no one could morally encourage him to play knowing the facts however much we need/want him as a player, we wont risk his future or life

1 minute ago, PurpleHorseman said:

which has nothing to do with brady...

4 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

which has nothing to do with brady...

Yeah, the thing is it ain't Brady that makes that team go. That's what is scary for the coming years. 

20 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

And yes I believe Orr was asked to hang around. We have a history of asking players not to retire. That is facts and reality

Well then you're not being reasonable and are only fooling yourself. The FO could not convince him to stick around, it was out of their hands, with his spine issue he would have never passed a physical to be able to play regardless. There is no "convincing" him to stick around when he had no choice in the matter. That was just a BS report that you bought hook line and sinker.

There's a big difference between asking Smith to stick around for one more year and literally risking Orr's livelihood, if you can't understand the difference there then you clearly are not dealing in "facts and reality."

Edited by hn68wb4

16 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Even Josh McCown?!?!?!?!?! Well in that case ship everything out for him!!!

I fail to see how McCown's opinion matters in the slightest

7 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Of course it has little choice on free agents.  You tell me. The reports were ravens asked him to reconsider. And I never before questioned our management. But 2 losing seasons in a row and not getting any better. Said we were building an elite offensive line.(which I applauded on here) And proceed by allowing established players to walk while investing in venerable run stuffers. 

And yes I believe Orr was asked to hang around. We have a history of asking players not to retire. That is facts and reality. In an offensive driven league we let our offensive lineman walk while overpaying a limited venerable dime a dozen NT. Same people applauding Osemele's exit because the money are agreeing with Brandon Williams. And our coach recently said a players mental state is 3 times more important than his talent level. Come on now

I agree on Williams. I don't like it for that money but he's key to our D. It's whatever. 

Wagner doesn't fit what they said they want to do with the line. They want to get bigger and get maulers. Wagner for as good as he was excelled in pass protection, leaves a lot to be desired as a run blocker and is more of a finesse guy. 

Let's say they grab Mangold. That beefs up the interior. Lots of size at G and C. Helps get the run game on track. 

Could grab a vet cut at RT that's a better run blocker for much cheaper and I'm happy. FA is a day old so you can't say we haven't addressed something. Plenty of time and the draft still to come. 

And in an offensive league you have to stop offenses. Period. 

Were a heck of a lot closer to having a team that can stop explosive offenses than we are to having a team that can win shoot outs with them.

So invest all in improving your offense that  still prob won't match up with the premier offenses while leaving big holes in your D..... or make a few key additions to a D that was best in the NFL most of the year, and can put the team in a position to win every game so long as the offense isn't terrible??

I personally think we're doing the right thing. They need to upgrade the OL. I agree. Paying way more for a guy that was a part of your underwhelming Ol last year doesn't improve it. Interior OL matters more. 

And you can disagree with the FO without going to the extremes of "they're clueless... no idea what they're doing or how to win!"

2 titles in 20 years. Less than 5 teams can claim that. 

Two losing seasons in a row?? Unless you have Tom Brady if you sustain winning for a long period you're going to have a down spot after. Won a SB and almost went back in '14 after one down year. 

They do know what they're doing. You can question moves. That's fine. I certainly do. But the extreme emotional overreactions and claiming they're clueless just looks silly when we've been a top 5 franchise since our inception. 

8 minutes ago, Tank 92 said:

Yeah, the thing is it ain't Brady that makes that team go. That's what is scary for the coming years. 

i meant it more in terms of its more likely brady longevity is so ridiculous that they cant even hold on to garropolo because brady is still the best in the league and knowing his superhuman self-care of his body will probably be an adonis for years to come

i feel like a jets fan waiting for his reign over the AFC east to end yet in my heart feeling like brady will be a quality patriot in perpetuity - when will this nightmare end? lol

and for the record i think garropolo is going to be a good qb and has shown as much in his limited outings (not anything like brock at all) but that it wont be for the pats unless brady picks up a career-ending injury next year which i suspect is unlikely and as much as i dislike him as a person i would never wish that on anyone

2 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

Well then you're not being reasonable and are only fooling yourself. The FO could not convince him to stick around, it was out of their hands, with his spine issue he would have never passed a physical to be able to play regardless. There is no "convincing" him to stick around when he had no choice in the matter. That was just a BS report that you bought hook line and sinker.

Before we knew the extent of it. Or grasped the details of his injury. All I'm saying is the guy said it. And we have a history of asking players not to retire. 

1 minute ago, rossihunter2 said:

i meant it more in terms of its more likely brady longevity is so ridiculous that they cant even hold on to garropolo because brady is still the best in the league and knowing his superhuman self-care of his body will probably be an adonis for years to come

i feel like a jets fan waiting for his reign over the AFC east to end yet in my heart feeling like brady will be a quality patriot in perpetuity - when will this nightmare end? lol

and for the record i think garropolo is going to be a good qb and has shown as much in his limited outings (not anything like brock at all) but that it wont be for the pats unless brady picks up a career-ending injury next year which i suspect is unlikely and as much as i dislike him as a person i would never wish that on anyone

lol....your opinion of Brady's talent and role with the pats is much different from mine. 

2 minutes ago, Tank 92 said:

lol....your opinion of Brady's talent and role with the pats is much different from mine. 

i mean i hate him - but he is without a doubt the best qb of all time and its not even close

And on the Harbs mental make up vs talent thing.... 

Hes right. Take two equally talented guys.... the one with the desire, intelligence, leadership, etc... 9/10 is going to be better. 

look how many top picks are out of the league or constantly suspended bc of their decision making. That's what he's talking about. 

It's about trusting the 5'9" CB from Temple can be a player bc what's in his head and heart. 

Its about paying SSS after hes cut by the team that drafted him bc of who he is as a person. It's why Stanley over Tunsil (which so far looks like the right move). Yanda over Grubbs. 

Yes it goes the other way sometimes too. Talent can overcome shortcomings. 

But hard work and mentality can over come talent deficiencies or measurables. Measureables and talent can't overcome idiot decisions off the field. 

8 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Before we knew the extent of it. Or grasped the details of his injury. All I'm saying is the guy said it. And we have a history of asking players not to retire. 

Again, there's a clear difference between asking an older player to stick around another year - something literally every team in the league does - and asking Orr to literally risk being paralyzed. Also, I don't believe Orr ever said that the team asked him to stay, that was a third party report of the situation, he never said that in his parting interview.

And if it happened before anyone knew the extent of it, then it's a complete non issue. Do you really think we are the only team that would try to convince a young player to stick around instead of retire if they have no real information about what they're reasoning is? be serious, the 49ers tried to convince Borland to stick around, Steelers tried to convince Jason Worilds not to retire, and so on. It may be a shock to you, but teams want to keep their best young players around and if information regarding their reasoning is inadequate then how can you seriously hold that against the FO? that makes no sense.

Edited by hn68wb4

8 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Can you detail the history for me?

is SSS all ya got? Bc if so all they asked him to do was not make an emotional decision bc of injury. Once u put it out there it's out there. 

They told him to wait and talk it over with his family. And by gosh -- they were right! He still wanted to play. 

Notice they haven't said anything about his retirement now other than in joking that he could always change his mind. Prob bc they can tell he's actually at peace with it. 

2 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I agree on Williams. I don't like it for that money but he's key to our D. It's whatever. 

Wagner doesn't fit what they said they want to do with the line. They want to get bigger and get maulers. Wagner for as good as he was excelled in pass protection, leaves a lot to be desired as a run blocker and is more of a finesse guy. 

Let's say they grab Mangold. That beefs up the interior. Lots of size at G and C. Helps get the run game on track. 

Could grab a vet cut at RT that's a better run blocker for much cheaper and I'm happy. FA is a day old so you can't say we haven't addressed something. Plenty of time and the draft still to come. 

And in an offensive league you have to stop offenses. Period. 

Were a heck of a lot closer to having a team that can stop explosive offenses than we are to having a team that can win shoot outs with them.

So invest all in improving your offense that  still prob won't match up with the premier offenses while leaving big holes in your D..... or make a few key additions to a D that was best in the NFL most of the year, and can put the team in a position to win every game so long as the offense isn't terrible??

I personally think we're doing the right thing. They need to upgrade the OL. I agree. Paying way more for a guy that was a part of your underwhelming Ol last year doesn't improve it. Interior OL matters more. 

And you can disagree with the FO without going to the extremes of "they're clueless... no idea what they're doing or how to win!"

2 titles in 20 years. Less than 5 teams can claim that. 

Two losing seasons in a row?? Unless you have Tom Brady if you sustain winning for a long period you're going to have a down spot after. Won a SB and almost went back in '14 after one down year. 

They do know what they're doing. You can question moves. That's fine. I certainly do. But the extreme emotional overreactions and claiming they're clueless just looks silly when we've been a top 5 franchise since our inception. 

I think we were pretty close to a team that can win shootouts. If we would have kept our offensive lineman together. Then the final cog is a receiver or2. The defense isn't even close to dominating. I don't like the Jefferson signing for most part. Hope he proves me wrong but I see him getting roasted without an elite rush. Ok we want an elite offensive line which I agree with making a priority. But their actions say it isn't a priority. Wagner was the best RT he ever put out there. NT's come a dime a dozen. DJ Jones is a guy to watch😉

We won in 2008-2012 with players drafted in the Billick era. And Ozzies previous regime of advisers and assistants. The last 8 drafts have left a lot to be desired. 

And the original poster I responded to was correct. We are to busy restructuring the contracts of Declining players. To focus on an elite offensive line. What is the point of keeping Pitta around at all?  Is management really that scared of him leaving? We should be trying to help one of our young guys step up. Like Williams/Boyle. 

10 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

i mean i hate him - but he is without a doubt the best qb of all time and its not even close

wowzer......  lmao!

31 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

I think we were pretty close to a team that can win shootouts. If we would have kept our offensive lineman together. Then the final cog is a receiver or2. The defense isn't even close to dominating. I don't like the Jefferson signing for most part. Hope he proves me wrong but I see him getting roasted without an elite rush. Ok we want an elite offensive line which I agree with making a priority. But their actions say it isn't a priority. Wagner was the best RT he ever put out there. NT's come a dime a dozen. DJ Jones is a guy to watch😉

We won in 2008-2012 with players drafted in the Billick era. And Ozzies previous regime of advisers and assistants. The last 8 drafts have left a lot to be desired. 

And the original poster I responded to was correct. We are to busy restructuring the contracts of Declining players. To focus on an elite offensive line. What is the point of keeping Pitta around at all?  Is management really that scared of him leaving? We should be trying to help one of our young guys step up. Like Williams/Boyle. 

Lol so do you think FA is handled by just Ozzie... and he's on the phone with his head down looking at just Pitta's contract trying to figure it out....

..... meanwhile has no clue what other signings are going on and is just letting FAs he wants go to other teams???

Report -- Pryor was going to sign with the Ravens... but when he called the line was busy and his text went un-noticed bc Newsome could only focus on one task at a time.

You have to consider that we didn't want Pryor. 

I wanted him. But there's a reason he had to settle for a 1 yr deal that requires incentives just to get to $8m. No one wanted him for real money. Same with Alshon. 

The excited fan in me would love to have either.

The rational, objective observer in me realizes that the guys who know best wanted nothing to do with them. Both had to settle and bet on themselves. And 1 year rentals aren't a solution.... Bc if they play well they're definitely banking huge deals -- it's why they took 1 year deals. 

So really the only possible real misstep is letting Wagner walk and not as of yet replacing him. And I certainly understand why they didn't. 

And Flacco, Ray Rice, Torrey, Pitta, KO, Birk, Boldin, Arthur Jones, Ellerbe, Kruger, Webb, Pollard, Cary Williams, Jacoby, etc... weren't Billick era players. 

Ray, Ed, Suggs, Ngata and Yanda were the only real contributors from the Billick era that contributed. And Ray/Ngata were really declining anyways. 

Plus you've been knocking our Front Office. It's largely the same FO as the "Billick era." So what does the coach matter??

and even on coaching... Harbs took Billicks 4-12 team to the AFCCG in his 1st year with a rookie QB and one of the best 5 year stretches in recent NFL history. If not for the Pats we were the most dominant team of that time. 

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Anyways.... Mangold and Claiborne and let's call it a day to get ready for the draft.

Then we can look for maybe some TC cuts for a vet RT to compete, maybe an ILB, WR and a guard. 

Otherwise it's build through the draft. If we could grab those 2 I'd call this a great offseason so far. With a great draft haul we'll be set up for another window of opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Lol so do you think FA is handled by just Ozzie... and he's on the phone with his head down looking at just Pitta's contract trying to figure it out....

..... meanwhile has no clue what other signings are going on and is just letting FAs he wants go to other teams???

Report -- Pryor was going to sign with the Ravens... but when he called the line was busy and his text went un-noticed bc Newsome could only focus on one task at a time.

You have to consider that we didn't want Pryor. 

I wanted him. But there's a reason he had to settle for a 1 yr deal that requires incentives just to get to $8m. No one wanted him for real money. Same with Alshon. 

The excited fan in me would love to have either.

The rational, objective observer in me realizes that the guys who know best wanted nothing to do with them. Both had to settle and bet on themselves. And 1 year rentals aren't a solution.... Bc if they play well they're definitely banking huge deals -- it's why they took 1 year deals. 

So really the only possible real misstep is letting Wagner walk and not as of yet replacing him. And I certainly understand why they didn't. 

That is what worries me. That we didn't want Pryor. The decision makers are consistently saying we like what we already have. And consistently wrong. And never learns. We liked Tandon Doss. We like the undrafted receivers to step up going into 2015 season. Proven time and again. No idea what a future No.1 Wideout looks like.  

Same song different dance every year. Half our fans every year now say dump Flacco. Half say he has no weapons or line. What is going to give? It isn't going to be Biscotti. I can promise you that.

9 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Anyways.... Mangold and Claiborne and let's call it a day to get ready for the draft.

Then we can look for maybe some TC cuts for a vet RT to compete, maybe an ILB, WR and a guard. 

Otherwise it's build through the draft. If we could grab those 2 I'd call this a great offseason so far. With a great draft haul we'll be set up for another window of opportunity. 

I like Claiborne. Not Mangold so much. My friends in Long Island said he declined and it was time for him to go. I like Kendall Wright as well. Very underrated receiver. Could end up better than Pryor or the Alshon.

Then let's focus on the offensive line and WR/TE in the draft.

1 hour ago, OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL said:

We never trade a 1st rd pick for a proven commodity

Not many teams do and The Ravens are not in right situation to do so right now.

We had a trade lined up and agreed to for TO. He turned it down. His personality wasn't an issue bc he had the mentality to get the job done on the field.  

And practicing hard/playing hard IS mentality. Effort isn't talent or a measurable trait type thing. It's a decision a player makes to push beyond what the next guy will do. 

Being cocky/confident without being an idiot off the field IS mentality. 

And where do you get "you can't assume every talented player has a bad mental makeup?"

If that's the conclusion you draw from him saying mental makeup is more important than I get why we can't agree.

That's a clear failure at critical thinking and understanding what words mean.

1 hour ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I could understand maybe if they really wanted another mid round pick but they gave up their 4th to get the 3rd. Moves them up maybe 15-20 spots but it's not an extra pick. 

The Saints may be interested in a  quarterback but don't want  real high pick in the first round. 

Since we all know Harbaugh loves good special team players it's interesting that cornerback Kayvon Websters hasn't garner any interest from  The Ravens so far. He was a stand out special teamer for The Broncos and is a former third rounder. Could be underrated  signing similar to Corey Graham back in 2012.

Edited by jazz1988

2 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

There's always the chance that that report was just bs. False rumors due tend to pop up around this time of year.