kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,450 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Quiet free agency  opening act!

lots of rumours flying around, but none of the major guys have signed - all that means is that either the deals havent been leaked yet or the top free agents are scheduled to talk to a lot of teams

1 hour ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I live near Philly now -no official source but.....

Apparently Kenny Britt is at Harrahs in AC right now. Many witnesses have seen him and an acquaintance of mine has said he told a curious Eagle fan that he has agreed to sign with Eagles. 

Could be bogus but i trust it. 

Look for him to sign in Philly. 

just seen a tweet from kenny britt's agent that he's visiting family anyway so has not signed with a team... might be trying to appease league officials but sounds pretty legit

2 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I live near Philly now -no official source but.....

Apparently Kenny Britt is at Harrahs in AC right now. Many witnesses have seen him and an acquaintance of mine has said he told a curious Eagle fan that he has agreed to sign with Eagles. 

Could be bogus but i trust it. 

Look for him to sign in Philly. 

I've wrapped my mind around the Ravens not signing him for some time. In fact I think like signing Marshall and selecting a guy like Copper Kupp in the draft or if the rumors of Pryor being on the Ravens radar is true i'd love that. But i'm still interested to see what Britt gets. I don't think he gets close to the 10M that some have said, but wouldn't be surprised at all. Also think it's a really good fit for him, he'll finally get to show his talent with a good QB. 

Another WR I want us to look at is Andre Holmes....extremely underrated and underused in Oakland with the talent there and a really good young player with size and potential. 

10 hours ago, redlobster said:

No way Pryor comes here if he is seriously trying to get $10-12 million a year.

Yeah, I'd be highly surprised as well.  I don't doubt they may have checked in, but that asking price seems way higher than I can imagine they'd go.

More likely, IMO, that "report" was a plant by his agent to try and get the Browns at ante up more.  After all, what better way than to threaten interest from a division rival, especially Baltimore.

4 hours ago, Ravensfan23 said:

Haha, how bout that? I'm not insane after all.

I'll say that I would prefer Reiff, I think. I remember loving him in college but I haven't watch a snap of his since he was drafted.

3 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

You don't fill a hole with another deadweight contract. That's addressing a hole by adding 2 bigger holes

Yeah you do. Ozzie's been doing it since 1996. Complimentary pieces -- which Fluker or Reiff would be -- are very often filled in FA. He'll be cheap. We probably have two holes on the offensive line. You think both are going to be filled by rookies? Signing free agents to fill holes is the reality we live in.

8 minutes ago, The Raven said:

I'll say that I would prefer Reiff, I think. I remember loving him in college but I haven't watch a snap of his since he was drafted.

Yeah you do. Ozzie's been doing it since 1996. Complimentary pieces -- which Fluker or Reiff would be -- are very often filled in FA. He'll be cheap. We probably have two holes on the offensive line. You think both are going to be filled by rookies? Signing free agents to fill holes is the reality we live in.

To be fair we filled two oline holes with rookies just this last year... I know a lot of people think zuttah's gone but I'm not sure he is unless we end up drafting a guy to be honest... I think, at least until after the draft, we are only going to be one lineman short (either left guard or right tackle) - zuttah isn't that expensive for an ok centre and there's no point adding needs before the draft

1 hour ago, rossihunter2 said:

To be fair we filled two oline holes with rookies just this last year... I know a lot of people think zuttah's gone but I'm not sure he is unless we end up drafting a guy to be honest... I think, at least until after the draft, we are only going to be one lineman short (either left guard or right tackle) - zuttah isn't that expensive for an ok centre and there's no point adding needs before the draft

Yeah, but that's not a regular occurrence by any means. Also, I'm still unsure of Alex Lewis going forward. Sure, he fills the hole, but I do think we could upgrade

As for Zuttah, I'm pretty sure Zuttah himself would be shocked if we kept him. Writing is on the wall.

7 hours ago, The Raven said:

Reiff is another story. Fluker has been garbage. I'd rather have Alex Lewis out there on a rookie deal 

13 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I never said anything about him wanting or not wanting to eventually play for the Steelers. But do they need an aging, high priced WR right now? No. They dont.

They've expressed a lot of interest in adding a number two.

3 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Reiff is another story. Fluker has been garbage. I'd rather have Alex Lewis out there on a rookie deal 

This is my point.  Don't pay to bring in more trash.  This team needs to look and try to figure out their "real" goals this season.  How far can this team really make it? When they come to a realistic conclusion start making moves.  No need to pay to bring in someone as a stop gap, when we have young talent to fill and see what we have if we don't think we're capable of a deep run.  As much as I've said start making cuts, Zuttah wouldn't be one of them due to the fact he still has starting potential on the current team.  A lot of the other guys to me are dead weight.  There's no way they can look at some of these contracts (Doom, Webb and especially Pitta) and say they are actually worth what they are making.  Suck it up and cut em now so we have the space later.  

3 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

They've expressed a lot of interest in adding a number two.

That's different than adding one of the top tier FA WR's.

I cant see them spending another $8m on the position, especially with Bryant likely coming back. I know theyd probably want a contingency plan but thatd be an expensive plan b.

Anyways the overall point was, the fact that Marshall was a Steelers fan growing up doesnt effect our chances of getting him. All other things equal between an offer from us and the Steelers, sure he'd go with them, but if he's a serious target of ours I cant see it coming down to that. And should we and some other team, say the Titans, make near identical offers I would bet good money that his Steeler fandom wouldnt play a part in that decision.

14 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

lots of rumours flying around, but none of the major guys have signed - all that means is that either the deals havent been leaked yet or the top free agents are scheduled to talk to a lot of teams

This doesnt pertain necessarily to all of FA, but Adam Schefter was on the morning sports talk radio show I listen to and apparently Brandin Cooks is the reason there's nothing being done with the FA WR's.

According to him thats the first domino to topple. Several of the teams that have the money and need to dictate the top of the WR market have set Cooks as their priority and therefore guys like Pryor, Alshon, Jackson, Garcon, Stills, etc... are all in a holding pattern to see what teams like the Titans, Philly, etc... will offer them if/when they cant get Cooks.

14 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

just seen a tweet from kenny britt's agent that he's visiting family anyway so has not signed with a team... might be trying to appease league officials but sounds pretty legit

Yea he's from Jersey... i think Bayonne or something like that, and went to Rutgers -- so there's obviously a very real possibility that's all it was.

It wasn't just his presence to made me feel confident in the rumor, but that several people (one i know personally) said that he confirmed he'd be signing with the Eagles. They're desperate for WR's and have been linked to almost every single one; but according to Howie Roseman they're doing things differently this year i.e. not spending huge in FA especially for older players. And honestly they need to add at least 2 WRs that can play, so signing Britt wouldnt preclude them from still being active in the market, especially for a speed guy that might come relatively cheap like Torrey Smith.

Them wanting a younger vet, with several years of prime football left ahead of him and that won't cost them a top-of-the-market price makes a lot of sense.

And then theres the fact that he just so happens to be in AC (believe hes from north Jersey, quite a distance from AC) which is prob closer to Philly than his home town several hours after the legal tampering period opens seems like there could very well be something to it.

Def not writing off the possibility that its completely innocent. But dont be surprised if this is one of the 1st confirmed deals to drop. Could also see the deal they offered (since nothing can be enforced til Thursday) being contingent on their inability to trade for Cooks. Lots of what ifs, but we'll see.

Another interesting tidbit I heard from Mike Garafolo yesterday, and Adam Schefter on the radio this morning....

Market prices for the top WR's are not expected to be quite as high as many were originally projecting.

Specifically cited Desean Jackson as unlikely to get the $12m/yr he was hoping. Pryor not expecting to get near the $14-15m/yr many were assuming. Garcon more likely to fall in the $8-9m/yr range, not surpassing $10m like he was asking. Britt most likely to cost in the $6-8m/yr range. Alshon might come in lower than or right around $10m/yr and below guys like Pryor, Desean, and maybe even Stills apparently (wont believe that til I see it) etc...

I mean at one point I heard Stills could fetch more than $10m/yr which was crazy to me. So, if these guys are right in what they're hearing its good news for us and our ability to land one of our top targets at WR.

And based on those numbers I'd expect a guy like Marshall to be relatively affordable. Somewhere in that $6-8m/yr range.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

NOOOOOOOOO. Giants just signed Brandon Marshall to 2 year deal, worth $12m total.

WHY DO WE NOT OFFER THAT. 

Maybe we did. Ugh, thats affordable and the guy i wanted.

Edit: rumors better be true that we're in on Pryor... or at least someone like Garcon, Alshon. We need a vet, productive WR.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

11 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

NOOOOOOOOO. Giants just signed Brandon Marshall to 2 year deal, worth $12m total.

Edit: rumors better be true that we're in on Pryor... or at least someone like Garcon, Alshon. We need a vet, productive WR.

I dont want garcon. Hes not as good as Boldin or SSR was. He's an okay reciever at this point.

Edited by Sami84

9 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I don't think we're serious contenders for Alshon or Pryor, each wants 10mil/year (minimum). Garcon might still be an option, but all the news I've seen about him has been that the Niners are making a serious run for him (via Rapoport)

WR I want most now is Britt, I feel that he will not only be the cheapest but skill wise is the best on the market, alongside the best fit, though I have my doubts.

4 minutes ago, jboy19 said:

I don't think we're serious contenders for Alshon or Pryor, each wants 10mil/year (minimum). Garcon might still be an option, but all the news I've seen about him has been that the Niners are making a serious run for him (via Rapoport)

Yeah, I'm sure no Pryor or Jeffries. Garcon makes sense and if their offer is competitive(if they even are making an offer) with SF maybe staying in the area could be a sell for the Ravens.

1 hour ago, redrum52 said:

This is my point.  Don't pay to bring in more trash.  This team needs to look and try to figure out their "real" goals this season.  How far can this team really make it? When they come to a realistic conclusion start making moves.  No need to pay to bring in someone as a stop gap, when we have young talent to fill and see what we have if we don't think we're capable of a deep run.  As much as I've said start making cuts, Zuttah wouldn't be one of them due to the fact he still has starting potential on the current team.  A lot of the other guys to me are dead weight.  There's no way they can look at some of these contracts (Doom, Webb and especially Pitta) and say they are actually worth what they are making.  Suck it up and cut em now so we have the space later.  

Agreed on all fronts, I seem to be one of few when I say cutting zuttah would be a huge mistake and way premature. You can't underestimate having a decent veteran center over a total unknown and his contract isn't burdensome. Pitta however... another story, I think a restructure for Webb and doom would be better than flat or cutting them, because they're too valuable to us in or current situation even though they're performing average on big numbers

24 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I think a lot of it had to do with not really having to move and staying in the NY area.  Probably most convenient move for him.  I'd assume he was offered more and took less to stay.

Hmm... This smells like we aren't going to grab one of the big names. Id bet we grab Kendall Wright 

1 minute ago, CalvinSmoke said:

Hmm... This smells like we aren't going to grab one of the big names. Id bet we grab Kendall Wright 

lol

20 minutes ago, redrum52 said:

I think a lot of it had to do with not really having to move and staying in the NY area.  Probably most convenient move for him.  I'd assume he was offered more and took less to stay.

Doing his NFL Network gig was probably a HUGE consideration, as well as not having to move his family.

That's one thing I won't truly understand with FA. Unless the money is absolutely lopsided, getting tens of millions still has the potential to set you up for life. So many of these guys just sign the biggest offer and don't do research on the city, schools, team, weather, etc. 

Why would you want to up and move your family for more money that won't make a huge life difference if you can stay in an organization you know that wanted you enough to draft you and an area you know? 

FA is just a really unfortunate situation for me.