kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,450 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Adreme said:

Let's also not forget everyone saw Oakland and Dallas last year and now wants to also have that full offensive line because shockingly it turns out that a great offensive line is more important than a great receiving group.

I highly doubt teams just figured out its important to build an oline because of Dallas and Oakland's OL

6 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

I highly doubt teams just figured out its important to build an oline because of Dallas and Oakland's OL

Not only that... their formula has been building the interior line. 

Both have decent RT's but if there's a weakness on either line it's at that position. 

Doug Free is solid but nothing special and same with Watson.

Id say interior OL play is more valued than ever, and both have shown that just adequate play at RT is necessary if you're very good on the interior.

I think Wagner sets the RT market but I don't think we see a jump like what KO did for guards. 

Wagners a pass blocking RT and I think most teams value run blocking as a dominant trait at that position.

Unless someone has a left handed QB and is looking for a premier blindside pass protector on the right I just can't see Wagner exceeding $8m per.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

7 hours ago, rmw10 said:

That's last year, not this year. This FA group at all positions is significantly weaker, which means those at the top of the class are getting paid. 

Ravensfan23 summed up my thoughts perfectly, as he usually does. If Wagner does indeed get a deal that places him as the highest paid RT outside of Lane Johnson, then I certainly believe that it isn't making him the highest paid by a high number. Maybe by a couple hundred thousand but blowing the lid off the market? I don't think that's going to happen, I don't think the demand for a strong pass protecting RT is strong enough, I don't really think there is a team who is going to just throw all their money at Wagner. I've seen the Panthers as an option but they operate much better than that, not even the Cleveland Browns wanted to throw money at Mitchell Swhartz who was the No.2 RT in all of Football. I could honestly envision getting something along the lines of 7M per year with gaurantees exceeding any RT not named Lane Johnson, but I don't see him in that 8M nor do I see him pushing 9M. 

35 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Of course not now figuring it out! However it could cause teams to place higher value on the offensive line including RT. Whereas RT usually rides in the back seat. He Could be riding shotgun this offseason. Hard to say if Wagner sets a new standard for RT only players. But the potential is definitely there. No different than impulse shopping. You see something somebody else has and you suddenly want it regardless of the price tag. Don't be surprised if Wagner gets $8-9 million/annually 

6 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Both have decent RT's but if there's a weakness on either line it's at that position. 

The interior of that line and Tyron Smith is/are special. I don't think that means that teams will follow their formula, before the OL they still have to make sure they have a quarterback, thats what both of those teams have, and guys that can play QB at a high level. Cleveland had an elite OL not too long ago and they were not good because they didn't have a QB. 

14 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Well, to be fair, the teams had both...

What a magic trick that is to have a great line and great skill players. 

14 hours ago, usmccharles said:

I do, actually. If you look around the league there was a definite trend for a couple years of getting away from the run game, ignoring the trenches, and just getting as much firepower as you can. In the passing age, I think some teams underestimated how vital a strong oline is. Oakland and Dallas reminded them of that, in my opinion.

14 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Which is brilliant if you ask me. A dominant NT or DT is more disruptive than a dominant edge guy on a more regular basis, and interior guys can't be helped by scheme. You can always -- and sometimes easily -- scheme help to both tackles on the same play via a TE/RB chip.

Also, with a strong interior, the QB doesn't have to worry so much about a collapsing pocket. That's what the Saints had in 09 with their guards, whose names escape me. Brees is short and needs a clean pocket. They had great guards with run of the mill tackles, and it worked. They even had a good run game when they needed it.

Edited by The Raven

The Patriots offered their first round pick for Cooks and it was rebuffed. NO wants a mid first rounder. 

Won't be a Raven.

2 hours ago, The Raven said:

I do, actually. If you look around the league there was a definite trend for a couple years of getting away from the run game, ignoring the trenches, and just getting as much firepower as you can. In the passing age, I think some teams underestimated how vital a strong oline is. Oakland and Dallas reminded them of that, in my opinion.

Which is brilliant if you ask me. A dominant NT or DT is more disruptive than a dominant edge guy on a more regular basis, and interior guys can't be helped by scheme. You can always -- and sometimes easily -- scheme help to both tackles on the same play via a TE/RB chip.

Also, with a strong interior, the QB doesn't have to worry so much about a collapsing pocket. That's what the Saints had in 09 with their guards, whose names escape me. Brees is short and needs a clean pocket. They had great guards with run of the mill tackles, and it worked. They even had a good run game when they needed it.

I agree. Interior OL is most important. 

Quickest way to derail a passing game is to put pressure right in his lap and not allow him to step up. Interior penetration kills run games too. 

I definitely think solving our Center woes is more crucial than whether or not we retain Wagner. Though in a perfect world I'd like to. 

1 hour ago, BmoreBird22 said:

The Patriots offered their first round pick for Cooks and it was rebuffed. NO wants a mid first rounder. 

Won't be a Raven.

That's crazy to me. 

Right when the season ended I mentioned Marshall, Cruz and Cooks as 3 non-FA WRs that would become available one way or another. 

All 3 have come to fruition.... but I don't see anything getting done for cooks if they won't even take 32. 

Eagles only want to give up their 2nd plus some sweetener. And last I heard they were in the lead. 

I just hope he doesn't go to NE. He will kill there. 

19 hours ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Of course not now figuring it out! However it could cause teams to place higher value on the offensive line including RT. Whereas RT usually rides in the back seat. He Could be riding shotgun this offseason. Hard to say if Wagner sets a new standard for RT only players. But the potential is definitely there. No different than impulse shopping. You see something somebody else has and you suddenly want it regardless of the price tag. Don't be surprised if Wagner gets $8-9 million/annually 

And he'll not be worth every penny.

5 hours ago, The Raven said:

Totally agree bout interior linemen being worth more than RT where you're not only facing bigger guys to keep the pocket from collapsing but you're also asked to pull and trap and get to the 2nd level whereas an RT is mainly asked to keep the outside pressure off and can also get help from chipblocking. Wagner is worth no more than 7 mil annually and I think that's a little too high even tho I want to see him stay mainly cuz of continuity.

Edit: Sorry to repeat the chipblocking lol.

Edited by Willbacker

23 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Won't be a Raven.

To me this sounds like they don't really want to let Cooks good. If they were serious about finding a trade partner they would have taken that. They're just stalling and hoping to retain him.

In before the bring back Torrey Smith posts

Although I would be happy to have him back

2 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

In before the bring back Torrey Smith posts

Although I would be happy to have him back

Yeah, I badly miss all those PI calls

I actually wouldn't mind Torrey as the third or fourth option. Definitely better than Aiken, but he'll probably get paid more by another WR needy team

Per a Browns reporter... (can add full tweet link later)

"Source close to @TerrellePryor says @Browns aren't serious enough. Has interest from teams in div, including ravens, who are very interested"

Just now, rmw10 said:

"Source close to @TerrellePryor says @Browns aren't serious enough. Has interest from teams in div, including ravens, who are very interested"

That'd be pretty good signing, I think. Wonder if then Wallace stays.

As the official starter of the "Draft Torrey Smith 2011" bandwagon, I'm 100% on the bring back Torrey bandwagon! 

Edited by BALTIMOREFLACCO

I have some interest in ditching Wallace to bring Torrey back for the sole reason that Torrey is younger and maybe maybe cheaper. I think I'd still rather bring in Marshall and keep Wallace, though. 

Wallace, Marshall, Perriman, and Moore would be a hell of a group if those young guys take the steps forward I think they will.

I would love to have Torrey back but personnel wise it doesn't make much sense, he won't be cheap and Mike Wallace has basically the same skill set.

1 hour ago, rmw10 said:

Interesting as this article from earlier today names the Steelers as being in on him and not us

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/five-teams-identified-as-getting-a-head-start-on-terrelle-pryor/

Edited by sflegend89

Right player, right price - bring back Torrey.

He has old chemistry with Joe, they practically grew up together. See how bad Torrey wants it, he is still young. Look at him as a Derek Mason with speed, thats an original Raven. Hes gotta want it though, and that means taking Ozzies price. 

If Torrey comes back and Wallace leaves, I'll live with it. But I won't be happy. 

Edited by jboy19

1 hour ago, OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL said:

He has old chemistry with Joe, they practically grew up together. See how bad Torrey wants it, he is still young. Look at him as a Derek Mason with speed, thats an original Raven. Hes gotta want it though, and that means taking Ozzies price. 

Ummm no. While I like Torrey a lot, he doesn't have the heart that Mason had. IMO Torrey, was not even close to Mase's competitive nature.  

2 hours ago, Tank 92 said:

I would rather have Marshall. Flacco has never played with a real #1 WR, that prototype 6'4 ball winner type of WR. I think because of how Joe plays he would thrive with a guy like that at his disposal. I would be happy with Garcon or Pryor... but ideally I think Marshall makes the most sense. I think because of his age and below par season in 2016 you're getting a hell of a bang for your buck with Marshall. The Jets didn't put him in position to play to his potential, he can do that here.

So, I am one of the us that is hoping we could sign Brandon Marshall at a decent price but this sounds like bad news for us. 

"Man, I'm from Pittsburgh, and I'm a Steelers fan," he said. "You guys know how it is being a Steelers fan. It's in our blood."

Also from the same article: 

Despite Pittsburgh's immense depth at wide receiver, Steelers' GM Kevin Colbert has made it clear that the team wants a reliable No.2 receiver opposite Antonio Brown

Expressing his feelings for the Steelers and then signing with their rivals? Idk!!

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Brandon-Marshall-pleads-allegiance-to-Steelers-51631921

6 hours ago, OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL said:

Lmao. No he doesn't. He and Joe did not have the best chemistry. Honestly, Wallace and Joe have better chemistry. 

I hope we don't take Smith back. 

7 hours ago, OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL said:

I personally cannot look at Derrick Mason and Torrey Smith as similar in anyway... Although Mason also didn't always catch with his hands.. He actually caught the ball, he was a far better route runner, was physical, and clutch for the most part. I don't think any of those things could be said for a Smith and those are mostly basic traits for a receiver. Only way I'd be happy with Torrey coming back is if he took a small prove it type of contract and the FO still made atleast another move at the position.