• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,454 posts in this topic

The Ravens need Marshall. If we o kg sign one FA please let it be him. He would make the draft so much easier on us and we would be an OL away from being a balanced offense. 

1 hour ago, rmw10 said:

Oh without question.  I don't think it's as simple as just ignoring it, but it sounds like it may have even already been discussed.

Regardless, Marshall would definitely be a pickup that fits the mold of our previous WRs.  One of the rare times I'm actually on board with people rushing to sign someone that's cut.

Yeah he fits everything The Ravens like but It just that they would have to explain why Marshall is such a exception because of his past issues.  I don't know how they will but I guess it helps that there was no video of his past incidents and that he seems like a changed person since then.

Edited by jazz1988

25 minutes ago, jazz1988 said:

Yeah he fits everything The Ravens like but It just that they would have to explain why Marshall is such a exception because of his past issues.  I don't know how they will but I guess it helps that there was no video of his past incidents and that he seems like a changed person since then.

It will be interesting if we do end up going after him.  If he does sign here, I imagine that would be a major question at the introductory press conference.

NFL.com lists us at #1 on their list of potential landing spots. 

Obviously with how new the news is, nothing on their list was really based on sourced material... more or less pointed speculation, but we do tick "all the boxes" according to what Marshall said he's looking for, and Marshall ticks most of if not all the boxes we typically look for at WR.

I'm gonna go ahead and place a 65% chance on this happening. Not certain, but I think there's a better chance we sign him than we don't. 

17 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Obviously with how new the news is, nothing on their list was really based on sourced material... more or less pointed speculation, but we do tick "all the boxes" according to what Marshall said he's looking for, and Marshall ticks most of if not all the boxes we typically look for at WR.

I'm gonna go ahead and place a 65% chance on this happening. Not certain, but I think there's a better chance we sign him than we don't. 

John and Marshall have good relationship so I think we have higher chance to bring him in....

Marshall is the better pick among FA due to finances and team needs...

58 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

It reminds me of when SSr was cut.  It was just a foregone conclusion we were signing him by everyone. 

Marshall does make a lot of sense, still question if the Ravens are willing to deal with the character. He's not a bad person just different. Not that being different is bad but some times it can make people feel some type of way. Harbaugh does sound like the type of guy who would love to have Marshall, and never making the postseason mentally wears down on someone. 

Though I did read somewhere that Marshall wants to sign with NYG and that makes a lot of sense. He does Inside the NFL still I think ( Correct me if I'm wrong) and wouldn't want to relocate his family for what would be the 5th time in his career. 

I'd be willing to part ways with Williams if it meant bring in the safety from Arizona.

5 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Steve Smith Sr, said Marshall reached out to him about playing with Baltimore a couple days ago, so there is certainly interest there. I think the only question is numbers. What type of deal will Marshall command. I'm going higher than 65% because much like Sr, being able to be yourself in Baltimore will be a selling point for BMarsh over some other teams who might have a better shot at winning like the Pats. Sr said Marshall would be a great fit in Baltimore because he's a playmaker. Well that's exactly what the Ravens said they needed to compete with the likes of Steelers, Bengals and Pats consistently so go make it happen. 

2 hours ago, gtalk12 said:

I'd be willing to part ways with Williams if it meant bring in the safety from Arizona.

Everyone is talking about how deep and strong this draft class is at CB and S. I think the Ravens are more likely to save that big money if they can't sign Williams and stick with Webb at Safety while looking to attack the Safety position in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. If Williams isn't signed, I think that money is saved for guys like CJ and Timmy who will be next in line for nice deals.

1 hour ago, Ravensfan23 said:

Everyone is talking about how deep and strong this draft class is at CB and S. I think the Ravens are more likely to save that big money if they can't sign Williams and stick with Webb at Safety while looking to attack the Safety position in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. If Williams isn't signed, I think that money is saved for guys like CJ and Timmy who will be next in line for nice deals.

I'd rather lockup CJ and Timmy than Wagner and Williams. Their skill sets are better suited to our team's philosophy.

Edited by The Raven

54 minutes ago, The Raven said:

I'd rather lockup CJ and Timmy than Wagner and Williams. Their skill sets are better suited to our team's identity.

What  is our team's identity that you mention?

Edited by Somerset Ravens

1 minute ago, Somerset Ravens said:

What  is our team's identity that you mentioned?

Playmakers, which we lost over last few seasons

2 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

Playmakers, which we lost over last few seasons

I would accept Mosley as a playmaker but Timmy is worse at his position by far than either Williams or Wagner with Wagner being the best pass blocking RT in football which is a huge deal in the modern NFL and why he might just get the 10M that he wanted.

18 minutes ago, The Raven said:

I'd rather lockup CJ and Timmy than Wagner and Williams. Their skill sets are better suited to our team's identity.

I'd rather lock them all up lol. But if it came down to overpaying someone to stay, it'd be CJ for me. But guys like Wagner, Williams and Timmy are those borderline Pro Bowl players who could easily be among the best of their position if they hit their prime full speed.

If we can keep all 4 of those guys and they stay healthy, it'll go a long way to getting this team back to being a perennial Super Bowl contender. I think all those guys fit what the Ravens are about, both on the field and out in the community. What all of them on the field and they fit "Play Like a Raven" imo. 

3 minutes ago, Ravensfan23 said:

I'd rather lock them all up lol. But if it came down to overpaying someone to stay, it'd be CJ for me. But guys like Wagner, Williams and Timmy are those borderline Pro Bowl players who could easily be among the best of their position if they hit their prime full speed.

If we can keep all 4 of those guys and they stay healthy, it'll go a long way to getting this team back to being a perennial Super Bowl contender. I think all those guys fit what the Ravens are about, both on the field and out in the community. What all of them on the field and they fit "Play Like a Raven" imo. 

I think top to bottom here is CJ, Wagner/Williams(tie), and a distant fourth is Jernigan. I may be in the minority here, but for me Timmy is expendable. He's very streaky, sometimes disappearing for entire games, and often doesn't play very smart. Doesn't mean he couldn't turn out to be a monster, but his present value seems much, much lower than the other three. 

1 minute ago, Tank 92 said:

I think top to bottom here is CJ, Wagner/Williams(tie), and a distant fourth is Jernigan. I may be in the minority here, but for me Timmy is expendable. He's very streaky, sometimes disappearing for entire games, and often doesn't play very smart. Doesn't mean he couldn't turn out to be a monster, but his present value seems much, much lower than the other three. 

I have to agree.Timmy J is a good player  but is too inconsistent and I'm starting to think he may not be capable of being a every down player.

27 minutes ago, Tank 92 said:

I could agree with that. But Timmy is the exact guy we'd allow to walk because the market would overpay for him. Art Jones comes to mind. I actually think Timmy can and will turn into a monster, but i do agree that his value right now is lower than the others.

17 minutes ago, jazz1988 said:

I have to agree.Timmy J is a good player  but is too inconsistent and I'm starting to think he may not be capable of being a every down player.

I think he's capable of being a every down player and a really good one. But the inconsistency factor is an big deal and as a FSU fan it's not surprising to me. Timmy could be as great as he wants to be if he improves his conditioning imo. 

1 hour ago, jazz1988 said:

I dont get the displeasure with Timmy.  I know hes no Ngata, but i think hes holding is own and i think he will have a better year.  I think hes one of those guys we need to keep around that is just a guy who plays his role. 

12 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

I dont get the displeasure with Timmy.  I know hes no Ngata, but i think hes holding is own and i think he will have a better year.  I think hes one of those guys we need to keep around that is just a guy who plays his role. 

Timmy is an above average role player who's money when he's on fire. He's inconsistent mostly as a pass rusher, but when he turns it on he's practically unblockable.

As a run defender, he's great. Big reason why we are (normally) a very good run defense.

But he works best as the third pass rushing option. We have got to find another edge rusher.

1 minute ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Timmy is an above average role player who's money when he's on fire. He's inconsistent mostly as a pass rusher, but when he turns it on he's practically unblockable.

As a run defender, he's great. Big reason why we are (normally) a very good run defense.

But he works best as the third pass rushing option. We have got to find another edge rusher.

Yea if we can get someone to replace Suggs and Doom and try to keep Timmy and Bwill we be sitting good

As much as it hurts, I think we might have to come to terms with Wagner not being a Ravens come next year. From the sound of things there's a LOT of interest in him and I think it's a virtual guarantee that he'll be pushed over what we're willing to pay. We might be facing a similar offseason to last years. Losing our top guys but signing a couple good vets, it feels contrary to what we've always seen as Raven fans.

1 minute ago, hn68wb4 said:

As much as it hurts, I think we might have to come to terms with Wagner not being a Ravens come next year. From the sound of things there's a LOT of interest in him and I think it's a virtual guarantee that he'll be pushed over what we're willing to pay. We might be facing a similar offseason to last years. Losing our top guys but signing a couple good vets, it feels contrary to what we've always seen as Raven fans.

Isnt this exactly what we always do?  Dont over pay and bring in cheap vets that get the job done.  Its worked a lot for us in the past

Just now, usmccharles said:

Isnt this exactly what we always do?  Dont over pay and bring in cheap vets that get the job done.  Its worked a lot for us in the past

I was more referring to the FA decisions, I wouldn't call Weddle or Wallace particularly cheap. Last year's decisions didn't seem alien to you? I don't think signing Weddle/Walllace/Watson was really on par with normal cheap guys, all three were pretty decent contracts for their positions

5 hours ago, Ravensfan23 said:

I could agree with that. But Timmy is the exact guy we'd allow to walk because the market would overpay for him. Art Jones comes to mind. I actually think Timmy can and will turn into a monster, but i do agree that his value right now is lower than the others.

I think he's capable of being a every down player and a really good one. But the inconsistency factor is an big deal and as a FSU fan it's not surprising to me. Timmy could be as great as he wants to be if he improves his conditioning imo. 

I just question if he is capable of being a every down player especially since he was in great shape last season but still wasn't consistent enough . He wasn't bad last year at all and maybe The Ravens new strength and conditioning coach can help him stay more consistent.

4 hours ago, usmccharles said:

He's a good player and has the ability to be better than that but if  his asking price is too high and the other defensive ends step up then I can see The Ravens letting him go especially if he continues to be inconsistent.

Edited by jazz1988

19 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

I think so too. Good chance we lose Wagner to an absurd offer from a team loaded with cap space but we make up for it by making a few nifty signings with the money we saved. Hopefully Brandon Marshall. We do draft OL after the 1st round pretty well, Alex Lewis, Wagner, Osemele all come to mind.

Edited by sflegend89

1 hour ago, Ravensfan23 said:

I like Timmy and initially I liked him over Brandon Williams but after seeing what happened this year, I have to honestly say the guy crashed in a really bad way towards the end of the year. He was arguably the worst DL on the field during that last four game stretch he managed just one tackle. If he was consistent and had a motor that was consistent as well than he would not only be a lock to stay here but a guy that might outplay himself here. 

I don't think its going to cost a lot of money to keep Jernigan here to be honest. We would have to pay up to keep him but I don't think we're going to have to break the bank for him to remain, personally I think he's a candidate for an extension but Mosley gets first priority. 

47 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

I don't think the offers Wagner is getting is that far away from us. I'll stay firm on the fact that he's not going to break the bank. When a guy like Mitchell Schwartz entered the FA market, he was looking for $8M-$10M per year and argued that he was blocking premiere pass rushers like Von Miller who rushed from the right side of the OL, no one budged and he got around 6.4M a year, now that did come with a signing bonus but his cap hit on a per year basis is no more than $8M per year. 

Teams are not going to overvalue RTs all of the sudden, if Wagner makes the move to LT than sure, he will get paid, but if not than I don't think he's going to leave. I could recall people thinking Eugene Monroe is a goner going into FA but what he wanted was just to test the market, he wasn't valued at the time and we kept him and what I initially thought was a steal. Different situation but its an example of guys not being valued as highly as we like to believe. 

Brandon Williams is a guy I'm having second thoughts on when it comes to remaining here, but why is he getting $20M more than Damon Harrison? He's not the better run stuffer and he doesn't offer much as a pass rusher. I think Williams value is taking on double teams and freeing the DE and OLB and even a blitzing MLB to a free run but that's one of the few things I could think of. I question the legitimacy of the 64M. 

Edited by PurpleCity5

32 minutes ago, PurpleCity5 said:

I don't think the offers Wagner is getting is that far away from us. I'll stay firm on the fact that he's not going to break the bank. When a guy like Mitchell Schwartz entered the FA market, he was looking for $8M-$10M per year and argued that he was blocking premiere pass rushers like Von Miller who rushed from the right side of the OL, no one budged and he got around 6.4M a year, now that did come with a signing bonus but his cap hit on a per year basis is no more than $8M per year. 

Teams are not going to overvalue RTs all of the sudden, if Wagner makes the move to LT than sure, he will get paid, but if not than I don't think he's going to leave. I could recall people thinking Eugene Monroe is a goner going into FA but what he wanted was just to test the market, he wasn't valued at the time and we kept him and what I initially thought was a steal. Different situation but its an example of guys not being valued as highly as we like to believe. 

Brandon Williams is a guy I'm having second thoughts on when it comes to remaining here, but why is he getting $20M more than Damon Harrison? He's not the better run stuffer and he doesn't offer much as a pass rusher. I think Williams value is taking on double teams and freeing the DE and OLB and even a blitzing MLB to a free run but that's one of the few things I could think of. I question the legitimacy of the 64M. 

The difference between this FA market and that one though is that there are hardly any other viable options in FA or the draft.  Wagner is the clear top option at RT and there's no one even close to his level.  Combined with the fact that the cap is continually rising and the FA class at all positions is pretty poor, and you have a recipe for Wagner getting a top of the line offer.