kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

953 posts in this topic

On 2/14/2017 at 10:31 AM, Ravensfan23 said:

I think Wallace will be asked to re-work his deal in some way. However, if you can land a Britt or a Marshall I'd have no issue parting ways with him. Honestly i think right now I'd go hard after Robert Woods who's only 25 and is cut from the same mold as Dmase, Boldin and Sr as a strong possession WR who can make big plays and also physical in the run game. I think he could be a bargain FA with a huge impact because he's entering his prime. So if the Ravens upgrade the WR position in FA, I would have no issue seeing Wallace walk. I don't worry about having a 30+ year old veteran at WR because Flacco is a veteran. But if that 30+ WR is needed, I'd bring back Q for one year and allow him to retire here. 

Not sure how much money will be saved, but the guys I see cut are Doom, Pitta, Watson, Zuttah, Arrington, Lewis and Wright. I think Webb will be asked to restructure, take a pay cut or be released. I think those guys combine would free up like 20Mil give or take a couple million. 

So if i'm making the decisions, which i'm clearly not lol, I would make those cuts and rely on younger guys to step up. I have faith in the 4 young TEs we have and the CB position needs to be upgraded anyway. So Pitta, Watson, Arrington, Lewis and Wright shouldn't be hard to replace imo. I had the Ravens taking Dalvin Cook at 16, but now I have Derek Barnett being selected and immediately taking over for Doom. I just think the Ravens will place value on continuing to build the offensive and defensive lines. 

I don't see Wallace as a candidate for a re-do. He did outplay his deal and while I think he could decline next season, as an aging guy who can still contribute he might feel that he can make as much or even more if cut. 

I personally think Wallace is gone if an upgrade is brought in. I think the team will take a hard look at Kenny Britt because he fits the mold of a WR you want in a WCO. 

I think that $20M would be used for other avenues such as CB/OLB and maybe even extending players. I think Wallace getting cut would contribute to a pricey FA WR. 

34 minutes ago, Ravensfan23 said:

yes you could argue that and i agree but that's not the point.

Taking that same theory that Aiken saw increased snaps because he was the backup possession WR. Let's kinda look into the future by 5-6 months. Of course this is hypothetical, but let's say Brandon Marshall is a Raven. No way he's not the #1 guy who'll be relied upon to keep the offense moving steady. Wallace doesn't fit this role at all, which is why the Ravens feel they need a veteran possession guy. That means Wallace at best would be the #2 guy and basically have the same role as last year. Now you have Perriman who the Ravens are hoping can be a #1WR but at the very least a big play #2 type guy, which is exactly what Wallace was last year. So if Perriman remains healthy, who's snaps do you think he'll cut into? The veteran possession WR that's gonna probably be used a lot like Sr was, or Wallace who has basically the same role in the offense? I say Perriman cuts into Wallace's snaps and targets this year. 

So if that's the case, you have Wallace splitting reps as a #2 type WR. Are you paying 8Mil to a guy who isn't even a consistent starter? As talented as he is, Wallace could easily fall to the #3 WR and if a guy like Camp, who the Ravens still believe in for whatever reason, actually puts it together as a slot guy, that's another role that Wallace doesn't fill. That's doesn't even mention if a guy like Kupp is drafted and sees the filled as a rookie. So he could easily find himself going from a starter in 2016 to a #3 or #4 type WR in 2017  getting maybe 3-4 targets per game, just like Kamar Aiken. 

I think the best shot for Wallace to remain a huge part of this offense assuming everyone stays healthy and improves is for a guy like Robert Woods to be added. Woods has never been more than a #2 and I think with him, Wallace and Perriman the Ravens would employ more of a committee at WR than relying on the top 2 guys as much. But if a well established vet is added and Perriman progresses the way they want, I think Wallace's production suffers because of it and if the Ravens kind of forecast that, they very well might be asking Wallace to take a pay cut. 

People have been sleeping on the idea of Perriman becoming the starter and I don't know why. If Mike Wallace finish the season on a stronger note than I would like to believe that he stays but I think that his decline towards the end of the year opens the door for Perriman to step in and take that role. The team is and might have to rely on Perriman to step up and take over. Barring any injuries or step backs I anticipate that he will take over as the #2 reguardless if Wallace is here or not. If healthy and if his routes improves than I think he wins it, he can do what Wallace can as a deep threat and win inside position and play a more physical brand of the WCO. Not to mention he adds more as a potential Red-Zone threat and that's not what Wallace is to me. 

I think Wallace outperformed if deal and that's nice, but we're going to need someone to be physical from the outside while improving all other spots on the defensive end and the cap savings from letting go off Wallace would help that. 

10 minutes ago, PurpleCity5 said:

I don't see Wallace as a candidate for a re-do. He did outplay his deal and while I think he could decline next season, as an aging guy who can still contribute he might feel that he can make as much or even more if cut. 

I personally think Wallace is gone if an upgrade is brought in. I think the team will take a hard look at Kenny Britt because he fits the mold of a WR you want in a WCO. 

I think that $20M would be used for other avenues such as CB/OLB and maybe even extending players. I think Wallace getting cut would contribute to a pricey FA WR. 

That's my thought.  If we Bring in Marshall, Garcon I could see us cutting Wallace.  But Britt I don't know because I just don't know what to expect from him, I like the upside of him but having Britt and BP could be risky. 

7 minutes ago, PurpleCity5 said:

That's the biggest thing with Wallace, much like Boldin he has no reason to re-do his deal especially since he outperformed his contract last year. I think Wallace was brought in as insurance for Perriman last year. If Perriman was healthy from day 1 I felt the Ravens would have allowed him to sink or swim as the #2 WR in hopes that by seasons end they'd see #1 potential. Wallace outperformed that and has every right to feel like he deserves the 8Mil cap hit he carries in 17.

I would love to add Britt, but I feel like he'll start a bidding war and I don't think the Ravens will go too high on it. I think he's a perfect fit to what we wanna do and he'll be around longer than a guy like Marshall. Just not sure what his market value will be coming off that 1,000 yard season. 

I really don't think the Ravens see the Ravens attacking either position too heavy in FA honestly. Unless a cap casualty comes available I think those two position will be addressed in the draft. Rarely do you find top quality guys on the market at those positions and I don't think the Ravens want to risk getting burned by putting big money into either position unless it's a Dumervile like fluke that a guy comes available. I think the Ravens will look to lock up Wagner, Juice and Bwill, then prepare for any big contracts coming up in house. Weddle might be as big as it gets for a while in terms of outside Free Agents. 

1 hour ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Juice can carry the ball. Looked great doing it against the Steelers. Small sample size, but again, small sample size.. so you certainly cant write off his ability to carry, since we havent seen him do it much.

Great lead blocker, good pass protector. Good out of the back field, can line up in the slot. And probably would be successful carrying the ball. Also ST leader and contributor.

Pretty all-around FB imo. Wont cost too much to keep. Definitely worth while to me.

Yeah Idk if he's a great lead blocker by any stretch but his other abilities make him worth holding on to. Just wish we'd actually make better use of those skills. Why not send him downfield? Why are all his catches on flats and check downs? Use him on some routes, dammit. 

1 hour ago, Ravensfan23 said:

That's the biggest thing with Wallace, much like Boldin he has no reason to re-do his deal especially since he outperformed his contract last year. I think Wallace was brought in as insurance for Perriman last year. If Perriman was healthy from day 1 I felt the Ravens would have allowed him to sink or swim as the #2 WR in hopes that by seasons end they'd see #1 potential. Wallace outperformed that and has every right to feel like he deserves the 8Mil cap hit he carries in 17.

I would love to add Britt, but I feel like he'll start a bidding war and I don't think the Ravens will go too high on it. I think he's a perfect fit to what we wanna do and he'll be around longer than a guy like Marshall. Just not sure what his market value will be coming off that 1,000 yard season. 

I really don't think the Ravens see the Ravens attacking either position too heavy in FA honestly. Unless a cap casualty comes available I think those two position will be addressed in the draft. Rarely do you find top quality guys on the market at those positions and I don't think the Ravens want to risk getting burned by putting big money into either position unless it's a Dumervile like fluke that a guy comes available. I think the Ravens will look to lock up Wagner, Juice and Bwill, then prepare for any big contracts coming up in house. Weddle might be as big as it gets for a while in terms of outside Free Agents. 

I see that problem with Wallace but as you said and I very much agree with it, get an upgrade and you could/should release him if we manage to keep Williams/Wagner. 

I personally think Britt could rise in the open market but my theory for why it might not happen is that the team he currently plays for, the Rams doesn't have much desire to get into a bidding war with anyone else over him. Because of that, it's going to be a little difficult for teams to establish the value that they would have in Britt and where to go on from there. I also think the FO might have to force their hand into paying someone whether they like it or not, unlike past years they're not really getting the luxury of bringing in a WR cut from another team who has plenty left in the tank such as a Steve Smith Sr. He was honestly a no-brainer signing

Also, going back to Boldin, they gave up a 3rd and 4th round pick for a contract that Arizona badly wanted to get rid off and we took that cap hit for a great receiver. Going way back we picked up Derrick Mason as an unrestricted FA and while I don't know the full details of the contract, it may have been a bargain signing, but it surely wasn't cheap. If a guy is talented and can propel us to SB Champs and make this team better, than I wouldn't rule out making the sacrifice for a guy like Britt. 

My biggest problem though, is that 1,000 yards on a dreadful offense with one of the worst QB situations in the league on one of the worst teams is pretty impressive, I think some teams will take that into account and view Britt as someone much more capable in a real NFL offense. 

Out of all options, Marshall seems like a realistic one, I know about his chemistry issues but that doesn't mean the guy doesn't produces on the field. His red-zone abilities, possession WR capabilities and QB-WR chemistry that he tends to have with his guys could be put to great use here and I honestly think that if everything goes right, Brandon Marshall first time going to the playoffs might also be his first time winning a SB. 

Edited by PurpleCity5

1 hour ago, usmccharles said:

That's my thought.  If we Bring in Marshall, Garcon I could see us cutting Wallace.  But Britt I don't know because I just don't know what to expect from him, I like the upside of him but having Britt and BP could be risky. 

I'm fine with cutting Wallace if we bring in Marshall or Britt since they're capable of #1 receiver production, but in the case of Garcon, I don't know. He played in a very high volume passing offense and isn't what I would call a #1, I would probably hold out on cutting Wallace if we bring in Garcon. 

2 hours ago, PurpleCity5 said:

People have been sleeping on the idea of Perriman becoming the starter and I don't know why. If Mike Wallace finish the season on a stronger note than I would like to believe that he stays but I think that his decline towards the end of the year opens the door for Perriman to step in and take that role. The team is and might have to rely on Perriman to step up and take over. Barring any injuries or step backs I anticipate that he will take over as the #2 reguardless if Wallace is here or not. If healthy and if his routes improves than I think he wins it, he can do what Wallace can as a deep threat and win inside position and play a more physical brand of the WCO. Not to mention he adds more as a potential Red-Zone threat and that's not what Wallace is to me. 

I think Wallace outperformed if deal and that's nice, but we're going to need someone to be physical from the outside while improving all other spots on the defensive end and the cap savings from letting go off Wallace would help that. 

I think Perriman will be a huge part of what the offense wants to do in 2017. His readiness is the question. Even last year Harbs was talking about how much they wanted to unleash Perriman and they wanted to see big plays out of him consistently but he just wasn't ready after missing training camp in back to back years. Well the gloves are off now. He'll be full throttle and the Ravens will run him like a thoroughbred. Yes he'll have to improve route running and become more physical but I think the offseason and training camp will solve that issue. I fully expect Perriman to have the same type of production Wallace had last year but more TDs. 

2 hours ago, usmccharles said:

I don't know what his market value will be, but I would like to see Robert Woods added to. I just love the fact that he's only 25 and he's a great route runner. I don't see him getting a big contract but you never know. If Marshall is added, which I see as likely, at 33 I'd still like to see a guy like Woods added as that possible long term chain mover for this offense. Perriman will be 24 and Woods 25, that might be a really nice tandem  for the next 5 years or so. 

1 hour ago, PurpleCity5 said:

I see that problem with Wallace but as you said and I very much agree with it, get an upgrade and you could/should release him if we manage to keep Williams/Wagner. 

I personally think Britt could rise in the open market but my theory for why it might not happen is that the team he currently plays for, the Rams doesn't have much desire to get into a bidding war with anyone else over him. Because of that, it's going to be a little difficult for teams to establish the value that they would have in Britt and where to go on from there. I also think the FO might have to force their hand into paying someone whether they like it or not, unlike past years they're not really getting the luxury of bringing in a WR cut from another team who has plenty left in the tank such as a Steve Smith Sr. He was honestly a no-brainer signing

Also, going back to Boldin, they gave up a 3rd and 4th round pick for a contract that Arizona badly wanted to get rid off and we took that cap hit for a great receiver. Going way back we picked up Derrick Mason as an unrestricted FA and while I don't know the full details of the contract, it may have been a bargain signing, but it surely wasn't cheap. If a guy is talented and can propel us to SB Champs and make this team better, than I wouldn't rule out making the sacrifice for a guy like Britt. 

My biggest problem though, is that 1,000 yards on a dreadful offense with one of the worst QB situations in the league on one of the worst teams is pretty impressive, I think some teams will take that into account and view Britt as someone much more capable in a real NFL offense. 

Out of all options, Marshall seems like a realistic one, I know about his chemistry issues but that doesn't mean the guy doesn't produces on the field. His red-zone abilities, possession WR capabilities and QB-WR chemistry that he tends to have with his guys could be put to great use here and I honestly think that if everything goes right, Brandon Marshall first time going to the playoffs might also be his first time winning a SB. 

Yea Britt will be tricky imo for the exact reasons you mentioned. I prefer Britt over Marshall because he'll be around longer and doesn't seem to be as problematic. With that being said I wouldn't have an issue with Marshall other than his age. So if Marshall is the guy, I'd like to see Woods added or a guy like Kupp drafted as a long term option. 

19 minutes ago, Ravensfan23 said:

I don't know what his market value will be, but I would like to see Robert Woods added to. I just love the fact that he's only 25 and he's a great route runner. I don't see him getting a big contract but you never know. If Marshall is added, which I see as likely, at 33 I'd still like to see a guy like Woods added as that possible long term chain mover for this offense. Perriman will be 24 and Woods 25, that might be a really nice tandem  for the next 5 years or so. 

Honestly Woods is name that I like that is falling under the radar.  I like the idea of him and BP being here together for a couple years.   Also,  Kendall Wright is a name I like.   Marshall  and Garcon are the top guys id like,  then Britt,  Woods,  Wright 

Wright is a bit of a wildcard. His best year was when he had Fitzpatrick throwing to him. He's never really had that well of a QB. Hasselbeck, Fitz, Mettenberger, Whitehurst, Locker. Maybe Mariota this year.

Kendall Wright can get that early separation our offense needs for moving the chains. He is a wildcard because he can get deep as well. Really makes the defensive backs have to cover all the turf. Then Kenny Britt could be the big fast physical West Coast receiver.

Im not sure ravens could swing Kenny Britt and Kendall Wright. But both could have very prominent roles in our offense. Michael Floyd could be a cheaper option to Britt with similar skills. A 6'3 220lb WR that can get fast separation with speed and late separation with physical play.

9 hours ago, lgcs27288 said:

Wright is a bit of a wildcard. His best year was when he had Fitzpatrick throwing to him. He's never really had that well of a QB. Hasselbeck, Fitz, Mettenberger, Whitehurst, Locker. Maybe Mariota this year.

Agree. Hard to gauge his value.

His production seemed to decline significantly once Mariota got there, which is a big red flag to me, and he was also benched multiple times over the last few years and struggled with consistency and effort.

Ultimately, I don't think he's the type of receiver we are looking for.

18 hours ago, Ravensfan23 said:

I think Perriman will be a huge part of what the offense wants to do in 2017. His readiness is the question. Even last year Harbs was talking about how much they wanted to unleash Perriman and they wanted to see big plays out of him consistently but he just wasn't ready after missing training camp in back to back years. Well the gloves are off now. He'll be full throttle and the Ravens will run him like a thoroughbred. Yes he'll have to improve route running and become more physical but I think the offseason and training camp will solve that issue. I fully expect Perriman to have the same type of production Wallace had last year but more TDs. 

I feel like Perriman just needs to refine those routes over the off-season. He doesn't have to be significantly great in that aspect he just has to improve due to his fantastic size-speed combination. He definitely has to improve selling those routes for sure and running sharper patterns, but Joe needs to be able to find him at the top of his routes because there are times in which he has missed him. I feel like if he can do that, then he'll enter the season as our #2 WR and maybe as our #1. I think he has to play more physical as well but he does a good job of winning inside position and boxing out CBs, I personally think that signals that he's not the finesse type of receiver that some believe him to be. 

On the topic of his routes, he played in a Pro-Style offense in UCF and you saw him run the full route tree and while they weren't great routes, a lot of them were not as bad as I thought they would be. They weren't that good but I thought they were somewhere between below average to average, nothing above that. I honestly think that a lot of his struggles in terms of his refinement comes from missing a lot of time. 

I personally think the Ravens are banking on his development big time whether we like it or not. Honestly, I'm happy we picked him, if it wasn't for the injuries I think we would've saw a much better Breshad Perriman, if given the opportunity this off-season I personally think the guy is going to be a beast once he improves on his routes, QB-WR chemistry and physicality. He said it himself, he finally knows what he has to work on now. 

So the tackle market just got a little more interesting.

Ryan Clady and Kelvin Beachum are both now on the market as the Jets and Jags respectively decided not to pick up their options.

Brandon Albert is expected to be released today so Tunsil can take over at LT.

Are any of them enticing names for RT? I know Albert fell off in 2016 at LT, but maybe a move to the right could help? I honestly dont know much about the seasons of Clady or Beachum.... so genuinely curious.

If they could present a far cheaper option than Wagner, is it worth exploring? 

18 hours ago, Ravensfan23 said:

Yea Britt will be tricky imo for the exact reasons you mentioned. I prefer Britt over Marshall because he'll be around longer and doesn't seem to be as problematic. With that being said I wouldn't have an issue with Marshall other than his age. So if Marshall is the guy, I'd like to see Woods added or a guy like Kupp drafted as a long term option. 

Britt's market might not be as great as he hopes it would be. I don't think in results in him making significantly less than what he expects, I think it's going to cost the Ravens some money, but not as much if the market doesn't view Britt as valuable as he thinks. 

I like Marshall, but he keeps bouncing around, I think that has plenty to do with his locker room issues, I wouldn't mind him and Woods, that would be a great combination but that seems pricey, I think an early draft pick is probably added in place of Woods. 

I dont get the Britt love. He's going to get paid like a legit #1, after just 1 season of performing like one. In how many years of his career has he shown this? I think he had 1 year early on, then lived off that "potential" for the next 3-4 years, and now busts out 2016 and everyones in love with his potential again.

Great, maybe hes turned the corner. But i think paying a 28 year old receiver whose been in the league 7 years with only 1 really productive season is a gamble.... especially when he's probably going to command ~$8-10m/yr.

You basically give him a deal hoping that his lone very good year (last year) will be his norm for the next 3-5 seasons, and that his previous 6 seasons were derailed by injury, bad situations or whatever. You need him to play up to his ceiling to even come close to getting value. And if he reverts to who hes been the majority of his career you're paying a #3-4 guy like a top receiver.

At least Marshall/Garcon have proven reliably productive. All things equal i prefer Marshall or Garcon. Honestly, even if we get outbid or dont go after either - i dont think id want Britt even as the consolation prize. I just think youre going to have to commit too much for the risk that he represents. Youre counting on too many variables to pay off in order for that deal to have value, and it could way too easily result in deciding between way over paying for a 4th receiver or eating a bunch of dead cap.

No thanks.

19 minutes ago, PurpleCity5 said:

I feel like Perriman just needs to refine those routes over the off-season. He doesn't have to be significantly great in that aspect he just has to improve due to his fantastic size-speed combination. He definitely has to improve selling those routes for sure and running sharper patterns, but Joe needs to be able to find him at the top of his routes because there are times in which he has missed him. I feel like if he can do that, then he'll enter the season as our #2 WR and maybe as our #1. I think he has to play more physical as well but he does a good job of winning inside position and boxing out CBs, I personally think that signals that he's not the finesse type of receiver that some believe him to be. 

On the topic of his routes, he played in a Pro-Style offense in UCF and you saw him run the full route tree and while they weren't great routes, a lot of them were not as bad as I thought they would be. They weren't that good but I thought they were somewhere between below average to average, nothing above that. I honestly think that a lot of his struggles in terms of his refinement comes from missing a lot of time. 

I personally think the Ravens are banking on his development big time whether we like it or not. Honestly, I'm happy we picked him, if it wasn't for the injuries I think we would've saw a much better Breshad Perriman, if given the opportunity this off-season I personally think the guy is going to be a beast once he improves on his routes, QB-WR chemistry and physicality. He said it himself, he finally knows what he has to work on now. 

Watching him last year I always felt like speed of the game was a big issue for him. Not necessarily from a things happening too fast standpoint but from a standpoint of him learning how to use his speed at the NFL level. I too didn't think his routes were as bad as some others and didn't think his hands were as poor as advertised. I thought he just struggled with he space and timing of the routes. I think i may have saw him run 1 clean slant route all season. Not because he wasn't physical enough but just because he never really used the fear of his speed against the DB. In college you can win with speed 100% of the time, but in the NFL you need technique to go along with it. If he can develop that technique this year to set up routes and keep DBs on their heels, he's gonna get a ton of space to work underneath and intermediate routes. 

So of the disconnect between he and Flacco was on Joe but I thought most of it was from a timing standpoint on his routes. The timing of routes is huge, especially in the WCO. If a slant calls for a 3 step drop and ball out, if the WR rounds off that slant, chances are the pass will be incomplete or the catch will be contested because the defender is sitting all over it. Your speed doesn't matter if you never make the defender move his feet. It's little things like that BP has to learn and he'll explode because of it. 

I think the Ravens are banking on him as well which is why I don't see them attacking the WR position as hard as some would like. I don't think they are gonna put any significant money into the position. I think we're more like to see guys like Marshall, Boldin or VJax added on 1-2 year deals than Britt or Gracon added on 3-4 years deal unless they come cheat like around 6Mil per. 

I dont get the Britt love. He's going to get paid like a legit #1, after just 1 season of performing like one. In how many years of his career has he shown this? I think he had 1 year early on, then lived off that "potential" for the next 3-4 years, and now busts out 2016 and everyones in love with his potential again.

Great, maybe hes turned the corner. But i think paying a 28 year old receiver whose been in the league 7 years with only 1 really productive season is a gamble.... especially when he's probably going to command ~$8-10m/yr.

You basically give him a deal hoping that his lone very good year (last year) will be his norm for the next 3-5 seasons, and that his previous 6 seasons were derailed by injury, bad situations or whatever. You need him to play up to his ceiling to even come close to getting value. And if he reverts to who hes been the majority of his career you're paying a #3-4 guy like a top receiver.

At least Marshall/Garcon have proven reliably productive. All things equal i prefer Marshall or Garcon. Honestly, even if we get outbid or dont go after either - i dont think id want Britt even as the consolation prize. I just think youre going to have to commit too much for the risk that he represents. Youre counting on too many variables to pay off in order for that deal to have value, and it could way too easily result in deciding between way over paying for a 4th receiver or eating a bunch of dead cap.

No thanks.

First off, getting paid like a legit #1 WR and the dollar amount of $7-$10 Mil per doesn't go together at all. Jeffery is likely to get somewhere between 15-17 Mil per and when guys like OBJ. AB, Evans etc hit the Market next year that number might shoot up to 19-20 Mil. That's legit #1 money. The Rams just gave Tavon Austin 10M per and Britt had outperformed him the last 3 years in the same crappy offense.

If Britt commands more than 8Mil per than I don't think he's on the Ravens radar.. But in terms of why the love because he fits what the Ravens are looking for and at 28 he'll offer a few more years to the table than a 33 year old Marshall(i'd love have him btw). I can promise you there isn't a talent evaluator inside the Ravens building who is going to run to NFL.com and look at his career numbers when they are asked to give a scouting report on him. That's what we fans do. What the Ravens will have do is go back, watch the field and take into account all the variables about his time in STL/LA and how well does he fit what the Ravens want to do. But going by NFL.com cause that's all i can do, the Rams offense has passed for a grand total of 5,756yds 25TDs in the LAST 2 SEASON. Well over those last 2 seasons Britt's numbers read 1,683yds and 8TDs. That's more than 30% of their entire passing game and that's good for any WR. So what could Britt do in a better offense with a better QB? It's risky but I think it's a conversation that the Ravens are having. 

Britt has been a steady producer for a terrible offense the last 3 years. The Ravens said they want a consistent chain mover who can make big plays when needed. Over the last 3 years, 72% of Britt's catches have gone for 1st downs, 25% went for 20+yds and 7% went for 40+yds with 11TDs . By comparison to Garcon only 57% catches went for first downs, 13% with for 20+ yds and 2% went for 40yds+ with 12TDs. Garcon has played in a good to great offense while Britt played in a offense that players called a high school offense. I'd say the Ravens would be smart to kick the tires on Britt. Not saying he's better than Garcon, but for my money, a lot can be said for a guy who can still produce in a poor offense. Britt 7-9Mil is a great deal imo.

2 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

So the tackle market just got a little more interesting.

Ryan Clady and Kelvin Beachum are both now on the market as the Jets and Jags respectively decided not to pick up their options.

Brandon Albert is expected to be released today so Tunsil can take over at LT.

Are any of them enticing names for RT? I know Albert fell off in 2016 at LT, but maybe a move to the right could help? I honestly dont know much about the seasons of Clady or Beachum.... so genuinely curious.

If they could present a far cheaper option than Wagner, is it worth exploring? 

Albert should at least be able to play guard at a high level. Gives us flexibility on the line if he can play RT and Guard. Maybe Yanda could even play center. Yanda and Albert manning the interior could make for a nice veteran combo. Albert could actually really help.

3 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Albert should at least be able to play guard at a high level. Gives us flexibility on the line if he can play RT and Guard. Maybe Yanda could even play center. Yanda and Albert manning the interior could make for a nice veteran combo. Albert could actually really help.

My thought process with Yanda is he has probably been the most dominate lineman since 2007 when drafted at RG. In my mind you leave him at RG unless another injury limits him to playing LG again. 

Just to go a bit deeper on the love for Britt. His numbers on the surface look below average. But when you compare his on field production to some of the games best, he actually measures up pretty well. Based on what the Ravens said they wanted. Veteran WR who can move the chains consistently, pick up key 1st downs and making game changing plays with the game on the line. Britt has done all of those things for a crappy offense. This is how Britt would measure up to other AFC North WRs. 

AJ Green: 349 Targets, 221recs 67% 1st downs, 21% went for 20+yds, 2% went for 40+yds with 20TDs

A. Brown: 528Targets, 371recs 62% 1st downs, 17% went for 20+ yds, 4% went for 40+yds with 35TDs

K. Britt: 267 Targets, 152recs 72% 1st downs, 26% went for 20+ yds, 7% went for 40+yds with 11TDs

Both Pit and Cincy passed the ball at a much higher volume than the Rams did. What could Britt do with more targets?

Now let's look at those same number and compare them to the #1 WR the Ravens have had the last 9 years under Harbs. 

D. Mason 08-10': 355 Targets 214recs 74% 1st downs, 14% went for 20+yds, 3% went for 40+ with 19TDs

A. Boldin 10'-12': 327 Targets 186recs, 70% 1st downs, 22% went for 20+yds, 1% went for 40+yds with 14TDs

Smith Sr 14,-16': 308 Targets 195recs, 57% 1st downs 20% went for 20+yds, 5% went for 40+yds with 14TDS

So even if you dropped Britt into the Ravens offense over the last 3 years, his numbers probably would have been on par if not exceeded what we've had as number #1 targets over the last 9 years. The Ravens have never targeted their #1 WR less than 100 times and by comparison Britt was only targeted 100+ times once with the Rams. That was 2016 when he put up 1,000 yards. Unless a bidding war starts for him, I think Britt would be a perfect fit for the Ravens. He gives you both possession and big play ability. 

3 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

No thanks.

Ravensfan23 summed up my thoughts but I don't consider $7-8M to be paid like a #1 WR. Mohammad Sanu, Marvin Jones, and Torrey Smith are all making this amount or at least close to it and these are your prototypical #2 WRs, so I wouldn't consider 8-10M as #1 WR money. 

Britt fits everything the Ravens want, they want to pick up 1st downs, they want to move the chains, they want to be more effective in the redzone and Britt can contribute in all areas. You brought up Marshall and Garcon and while I agree that Marshall is more talented, I don't think even his stressful offenses are as bad as Britt was. In Garcon's case he played in a high octane passing offense that ranked top 5 in passing yards last 2 seasons and a QB who is light-years better than anyone the Rams had(Yes, it was that bad for LA.) With that said, Britt preformed pretty damn well given the circumstances and I think he could be a stud with Ravens/Joe. 

20 hours ago, Ravensfan23 said:

First off, getting paid like a legit #1 WR and the dollar amount of $7-$10 Mil per doesn't go together at all. Jeffery is likely to get somewhere between 15-17 Mil per and when guys like OBJ. AB, Evans etc hit the Market next year that number might shoot up to 19-20 Mil. That's legit #1 money. The Rams just gave Tavon Austin 10M per and Britt had outperformed him the last 3 years in the same crappy offense.

If Britt commands more than 8Mil per than I don't think he's on the Ravens radar.. But in terms of why the love because he fits what the Ravens are looking for and at 28 he'll offer a few more years to the table than a 33 year old Marshall(i'd love have him btw). I can promise you there isn't a talent evaluator inside the Ravens building who is going to run to NFL.com and look at his career numbers when they are asked to give a scouting report on him. That's what we fans do. What the Ravens will have do is go back, watch the field and take into account all the variables about his time in STL/LA and how well does he fit what the Ravens want to do. But going by NFL.com cause that's all i can do, the Rams offense has passed for a grand total of 5,756yds 25TDs in the LAST 2 SEASON. Well over those last 2 seasons Britt's numbers read 1,683yds and 8TDs. That's more than 30% of their entire passing game and that's good for any WR. So what could Britt do in a better offense with a better QB? It's risky but I think it's a conversation that the Ravens are having. 

Britt has been a steady producer for a terrible offense the last 3 years. The Ravens said they want a consistent chain mover who can make big plays when needed. Over the last 3 years, 72% of Britt's catches have gone for 1st downs, 25% went for 20+yds and 7% went for 40+yds with 11TDs . By comparison to Garcon only 57% catches went for first downs, 13% with for 20+ yds and 2% went for 40yds+ with 12TDs. Garcon has played in a good to great offense while Britt played in a offense that players called a high school offense. I'd say the Ravens would be smart to kick the tires on Britt. Not saying he's better than Garcon, but for my money, a lot can be said for a guy who can still produce in a poor offense. Britt 7-9Mil is a great deal imo.

If those guys are getting in the upper teens in terms of average annual salary that only drives Britt's price up making it even worse in my opinion.

And aside from last year we're talking about a guy who's career highlights were a couple 700 yd seasons with some injury riddled stinkers in between. He's never really been a major red zone threat. And with his size he should be. He plays much smaller than he is.

I mean honestly -- I just look at him like i look at Kamar Aiken. On a bad offense surrounded with no talent both can put up a #1 WR like season. 1,000 yds, 5 TDs. But, put them in an offense with actual NFL caliber talent and they quickly fall down the pecking order.

So, why the love for Britt but no one pulling to resign Aiken at half the cost? Aiken has at least been durable....

The whole poor offense, no QB argument in favor of Britt kind of falls flat for me, because we saw Aiken with a bunch of nobodies and Ryan Mallet throwing him the ball put up similar numbers. And I guarantee no one would be happy if we paid him $7m/yr and considered cutting Wallace to do so.

And, btw, just bc the Rams paid Tavon $10m/yr doesnt make signing equally ok players to similar contracts a good idea. The Rams way of doing business isnt exactly working, so citing their contract offers as examples isnt a ringing endorsement.

And this whole "fit" thing... dont really get it either. Wallace doesnt fit, but Britt somehow does even though we havent seen him in the Ravens offense. We've seen Wallace and the results were pretty good.

And for as much as I hear 'but Wallace got most of his production early in the season." So did Britt. It happens. Defenses adjust and try to take away what youre doing well. Someone else has to step up, hence the need for a "complimentary" receiver, not all new receivers.

So, if we're talking about Marshall, Garcon, and Britt all likely being in a similar price range - i just dont get the desire for Britt over either the others. Both have been more consistent, more productive, and imo are better fits for what we do. 

If we're seriously gonna consider Britt, I'd rather just bring Aiken back at half the cost and give him more targets. maybe not quite the upside... but less volatile.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

5 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

If those guys are getting in the upper teens in terms of average annual salary that only drives Britt's price up making it even worse in my opinion.

And aside from last year we're talking about a guy who's career highlights were a couple 700 yd seasons with some injury riddled stinkers in between. He's never really been a major red zone threat. 

I mean honestly -- I just look at him like i look at Kamar Aiken. On a bad offense surrounded with no talent both can put up a #1 WR like season. 1,000 yds, 5 TDs. But, put them in an offense with actual NFL caliber talent and they quickly fall down the pecking order.

So, why the love for Britt but no one pulling to resign Aiken at half the cost? Aiken has at least been durable....

The whole poor offense, no QB argument in favor of Britt kind of falls flat for me, because we saw Aiken with a bunch of nobodies and Ryan Mallet throwing him the ball put up similar numbers. And I guarantee no one would be happy if we paid him $7m/yr and considered cutting Wallace to do so.

Bingo

18 hours ago, PurpleCity5 said:

Ravensfan23 summed up my thoughts but I don't consider $7-8M to be paid like a #1 WR. Mohammad Sanu, Marvin Jones, and Torrey Smith are all making this amount or at least close to it and these are your prototypical #2 WRs, so I wouldn't consider 8-10M as #1 WR money. 

Britt fits everything the Ravens want, they want to pick up 1st downs, they want to move the chains, they want to be more effective in the redzone and Britt can contribute in all areas. You brought up Marshall and Garcon and while I agree that Marshall is more talented, I don't think even his stressful offenses are as bad as Britt was. In Garcon's case he played in a high octane passing offense that ranked top 5 in passing yards last 2 seasons and a QB who is light-years better than anyone the Rams had(Yes, it was that bad for LA.) With that said, Britt preformed pretty damn well given the circumstances and I think he could be a stud with Ravens/Joe. 

Britts not good in the redzone. Hes big but doesnt play up to his size. Hes had a few seasons where he's caught a high % of 1st downs, but never had more than 50 because he's just not a volume catcher. THATS what we need imo. bc Wallace and Perriman arent guys that get separation every play. Garcon, Marshall both are better in the red zone, and on 3rd down.

If you want a go to guy in the Red Zone and on critical 3rd downs.... Britts not your guy.

And I wouldnt be surprised if Britt gets upwards of $10m. Guys like Tavon Austin and Jeremy Maclin did in recent years coming off similar seasons at a similar age.

Citing Torrey Smith doesnt help. Awful deal. And Id say they brought him in to be their #1, theyre just idiots. Boldin was declining and they had nothing else.

Sanu's a great weapon when you have the AJ Green/Julio Jones in place. He's a #2 to that. We have nothing close. 

And Marvin Jones was brought in to essentially become the 1B not #2. And he became the 1A quickly.

$8-10m is typically #1 WR money. There are just the dominant guys like the AJ Greens, Julio Jones, Dez's, etc... who make way more. 

Again.... Kamar Aiken in a horrible offense with Ryan Mallet throwing the ball put up 1,000 yds and 5 TDs.... the equivalent of Britts best ever season, with similar surrounding talent. Why not resign Aiken at a fraction of the cost, since that 2015 season was so telling of what his future holds?

Im just convinced Britt is a career 700 yd, 3-4 TD guy. That's not what this offense needs, because thats what we have. Hopefully Perriman becomes more, but i need a guy i can COUNT on to do it.... not a guy who at his absolute best ever did it one time.... when he was the only real weapon in the passing game and was the focus. once again, in that type situation even Kamar Aiken can put up those numbers - yet we all know thats not who he really is.

Maybe its bc for a long time everyones hoped Britt could turn the page, so we want to believe "hes finally doing it." I think its just a product of him being force fed the ball by a crappy QB in a crappy offense.

And bringing up Garcons highly productive offense isnt a knock, because he had Desean and arguably the best slot receiver in the NFL to share targets with, along with a pretty darn good TE. And he still got his, because hes a guy that gets open all the time. THATS what we need on this team. Guys that demand balls bc theyre open even when there are other quality target around.

Not guys who look good when no one else is around. Im tired of other teams shiny turds.

Not sure if it's been discussed, but how do people feel about Michael Floyd as a FA WR?   He's pretty much played as well as Garcon/Britt since he's been in the league minus a very down 2016 season, but that down season and other issues will keep him very cheap and under the radar and durability has not been one of his issues.

Admittedly, I've never actually watched him play.  Just going off stats and posing a discussion piece

And aside from last year we're talking about a guy who's career highlights were a couple 700 yd seasons with some injury riddled stinkers in between. He's never really been a major red zone threat. 

Really not trying to convince you Britt is the way to go, just showing way i'm showing love to the idea of getting Britt. If that makes sense. 

But I will say this. If we're just looking at basic stats then we'll always be able to twist them to support our personal narrative. Imo that whole only talent on a poor team narrative is thrown out the window because the Rams didn't force feed Britt. He's never had a high volume of targets. In 5 of 8 career years, Britt has surpassed 700+ yards with 15ypc and last season was the only time he's been targeted more than 84 times. I'd say he's a guy that actually maximizes his limited opportunities instead of a guy who's force feed in a poor offense. So now I think the Ravens or any other team will say, what can we get if we throw the ball his way 100+ times a season. 

What's the difference between Britt and Aiken? Last year with the dreadful Rams offense. Britt was targeted 111, while Austin was targeted 106, Kendrick 87 and Quick 77 times. Despite only 5 more targets than Austin, Britt had 10 more catches and double the yardage. The Rams didn't force feed him he just took advantage of his opportunities. Aiken on the other hand was targeted 127 times in 2015. That year there wasn't another Ravens player targeted more than 73 times and that was Sr with only 6 1/2 games played. I'd say the Ravens force feed Aiken that year. But i will agree that Aiken should get more credit. However when the team makes it known they need to attack a possession type WR FA or the draft and that's exactly what you do, I'd say the Ravens, not the fans are the ones who don't think Aiken is the answer. 

Lastly back to the whole poor offense thing. Imo you can't just look at surface numbers as i've been saying. As i already mentioned, the Ravens basically had no one other than Aiken after Sr when down, while the Rams at least attempted to get other guys involved. Going back to 2015 with Aiken, after Sr went down, Aiken was targeted a total of 83 times in the final 8 games. That's 10.3 targets a game. Britt was only targeted 7 times a game. So again it's about Britt taking advantage of the opportunities despite being in a poor offense, while Aiken was force feed. The numbers in those 8 games. 

83 targets 50recs 611yds 3TDs. That means 66% of Aiken's production came when the Ravens force feed him the ball. That's why he disappeared when Sr returned and Wallace was added. The Ravens don't want someone they have to force feed the ball unless that guy is making game changing plays. I think Britt can be that guy but we'll see.  

40 minutes ago, Purple_City39 said:

Not sure if it's been discussed, but how do people feel about Michael Floyd as a FA WR?   He's pretty much played as well as Garcon/Britt since he's been in the league minus a very down 2016 season, but that down season and other issues will keep him very cheap and under the radar and durability has not been one of his issues.

Admittedly, I've never actually watched him play.  Just going off stats and posing a discussion piece

No. He's probably facing a suspension and they didn't even kick the tires on him when he was waived

1 hour ago, Ravensfan23 said:

Really not trying to convince you Britt is the way to go, just showing way i'm showing love to the idea of getting Britt. If that makes sense. 

But I will say this. If we're just looking at basic stats then we'll always be able to twist them to support our personal narrative. Imo that whole only talent on a poor team narrative is thrown out the window because the Rams didn't force feed Britt. He's never had a high volume of targets. In 5 of 8 career years, Britt has surpassed 700+ yards with 15ypc and last season was the only time he's been targeted more than 84 times. I'd say he's a guy that actually maximizes his limited opportunities instead of a guy who's force feed in a poor offense. So now I think the Ravens or any other team will say, what can we get if we throw the ball his way 100+ times a season. 

What's the difference between Britt and Aiken? Last year with the dreadful Rams offense. Britt was targeted 111, while Austin was targeted 106, Kendrick 87 and Quick 77 times. Despite only 5 more targets than Austin, Britt had 10 more catches and double the yardage. The Rams didn't force feed him he just took advantage of his opportunities. Aiken on the other hand was targeted 127 times in 2015. That year there wasn't another Ravens player targeted more than 73 times and that was Sr with only 6 1/2 games played. I'd say the Ravens force feed Aiken that year. But i will agree that Aiken should get more credit. However when the team makes it known they need to attack a possession type WR FA or the draft and that's exactly what you do, I'd say the Ravens, not the fans are the ones who don't think Aiken is the answer. 

Lastly back to the whole poor offense thing. Imo you can't just look at surface numbers as i've been saying. As i already mentioned, the Ravens basically had no one other than Aiken after Sr when down, while the Rams at least attempted to get other guys involved. Going back to 2015 with Aiken, after Sr went down, Aiken was targeted a total of 83 times in the final 8 games. That's 10.3 targets a game. Britt was only targeted 7 times a game. So again it's about Britt taking advantage of the opportunities despite being in a poor offense, while Aiken was force feed. The numbers in those 8 games. 

83 targets 50recs 611yds 3TDs. That means 66% of Aiken's production came when the Ravens force feed him the ball. That's why he disappeared when Sr returned and Wallace was added. The Ravens don't want someone they have to force feed the ball unless that guy is making game changing plays. I think Britt can be that guy but we'll see.  

Your calling one "force feeding" is somewhat semantics if theyre getting a similar volume of targets. Aiken has produced at the same clip his entire career. If you only give him 40 targets he'll catch 25 for 350 yds. If you give him 120 targets he'll catch 75 balls for 1,000. "force fed" only determines whether those targets came over a shorter number of games or not.

Give him equally 100+ targets over 16 games and he'll put up that #.

If the production is the same on a similar number of targets, theyre pretty equal. Whether another receiver on the same team got similar targets is pointless. If anything it makes Aikens feat MORE impressive bc he did it when the defense knew he was the only option. Britt did it with another guy getting an equal number of looks.

But in the end, all it says is that the Rams WRs were healthy a full season and starters, while the Ravens main WRs in 2015 got hurt and Aiken took over getting a bulk of targets over a condensed time.

My point is, we have guys thatll do a decent job getting targeted 100 times. I want a guy who commands the ball regardless of where he's been. Garcon and Marshall fit that mold. Whether alongside other very productive guys, or when they were the go to... they perform relatively the same.

Guys like AIken/Britt have in their 1 season of 100+ targets put up decent numbers.... but theyve both only done it once, and im not committing to a guy like that for anything other than peanuts.

I stand by it -- shelling out $8-10m to Britt is just like doing it for Aiken. If you force 100 targets his way he'll do pretty good. But, in a very good offense, neither will command 100 targets.

And thats what we should be striving for. A very good offense. Not more of the same.... banking on guys like Aiken, Torrey, Marlon Brown, etc... who've proven they can put up a good year when surrounded by JAG's.