kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,555 posts in this topic

If we are looking at people that I want it's tony Jefferson from Arizona.

The cardinals have to retain Campbell, Floyd, and Chandler Jones, all of whom are better and more important to the team than Jefferson who's a damn good player himself. I think he'd be great for the safety corps going further. Shouldn't be too expensive either. Would happily pay that man $6 million a year. He belongs here

22 hours ago, Maryland said:

Regarding those folks who want us to address Center in FA, I don't really see any UFAs who would be an upgrade over Zuttah (maybe Wisinewski) and I don't see any impending cap casualties either. 

To me, I think it's best to go the Dallas route when building the offensive line. With Stanley and Lewis we got 2 OL positions locked down from this draft, taking a shot on someone like Quenton Nelson(Stanley's teammate) in the first round to lock down the Left Guard spot next to Stanley, while moving Lewis to RT if some team decides to overpay Wagner(which I think happens) even Ethan Pocic in the second round to take over at Center going forward. Either way, I think building the offensive line through the draft is the way to go.

18 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

BP and Moore are a draft pick,  I wouldn't call that bargain bin signings.  Jeffery isn't even injured  right now so Not sure what your talking about.  Going out  and singing big free agents isn't a recipe for winning,  it's a recipe for winning March which never translated.  Using Revis is a terrible example 

Using Revis is an excellent example because the Patriots were an established team who used a huge name to upgrade a position of weakness in a major way.

It's not like the Jags who try to plug every position with a free agent and have no chemistry or continuity on their team.

It'd be more like if Romo became available and the Broncos traded for him. 

Big difference is an established team that's just trying to patch a hole, not overhaul.

19 minutes ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

If we are looking at people that I want it's tony Jefferson from Arizona.

The cardinals have to retain Campbell, Floyd, and Chandler Jones, all of whom are better and more important to the team than Jefferson who's a damn good player himself. I think he'd be great for the safety corps going further. Shouldn't be too expensive either. Would happily pay that man $6 million a year. He belongs here

I'd be shocked to see them pay Floyd. They really have no reason to.

4 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I'd be shocked to see them pay Floyd. They really have no reason to.

If Fitzgerald retires then they have every reason too. But Arizona needs more than just that. 

Im pounding my first for Jefferson.

2 minutes ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

If Fitzgerald retires then they have every reason too. But Arizona needs more than just that. 

Im pounding my first for Jefferson.

I'm sure they like Nelson and Brown quite a bit and Floyd hasn't really shown to be a number one receiver. Could probably find an equal caliber or better receiver in the draft.

52 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

BP and Moore are a draft pick,  I wouldn't call that bargain bin signings.  Jeffery isn't even injured  right now so Not sure what your talking about.  Going out  and singing big free agents isn't a recipe for winning,  it's a recipe for winning March which never translated.  Using Revis is a terrible example 

I meant he's had multiple injury histories Plus the PED thing

I just had this thought while looking through upcoming FAs and I thought I'd float it by you guys. I'm not strongly advocating it, just thought it was an interesting idea.

I firmly believe that if we want to we should be more than capable of retaining both BWill and Wagner, mainly because I think people are way overestimating how much BWill will be getting, he'll get paid well enough but pass rushing ability is what really gets Dlinemen paid and BWill provides literally nothing in that department - but I digress.

What if we purposely let Wagner walk and move Lewis out to RT, as many of us assume is our plan with him anyway, and use the money to sign a vet LG like Ronald Leary. Last week having Yanda on the left side really helped out Stanley, I think bringing in a vet presence to partner with him over there long term would be a good move for him. That way we'd have a vet presence on both side of our line anchoring the two tackles of the future.

Not that I'm really pushing this idea, just a thought I had. I'm all for possibly going after Tretter though, he's good and young, would be a nice piece to have on our line moving forward.

No thanks to Jeffery. Why on earth would we want a guy with extensive injury history?

Hell yes to Gillmore. Though Buffalo never gets rid of him in all likelihood 

45 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

I just had this thought while looking through upcoming FAs and I thought I'd float it by you guys. I'm not strongly advocating it, just thought it was an interesting idea.

I firmly believe that if we want to we should be more than capable of retaining both BWill and Wagner, mainly because I think people are way overestimating how much BWill will be getting, he'll get paid well enough but pass rushing ability is what really gets Dlinemen paid and BWill provides literally nothing in that department - but I digress.

What if we purposely let Wagner walk and move Lewis out to RT, as many of us assume is our plan with him anyway, and use the money to sign a vet LG like Ronald Leary. Last week having Yanda on the left side really helped out Stanley, I think bringing in a vet presence to partner with him over there long term would be a good move for him. That way we'd have a vet presence on both side of our line anchoring the two tackles of the future.

Not that I'm really pushing this idea, just a thought I had. I'm all for possibly going after Tretter though, he's good and young, would be a nice piece to have on our line moving forward.

I think it sounds fine in theory, but if you're going to pay someone, it might as well be Wagner so we can keep some continuity.

2 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Using Revis is an excellent example because the Patriots were an established team who used a huge name to upgrade a position of weakness in a major way.

It's not like the Jags who try to plug every position with a free agent and have no chemistry or continuity on their team.

It'd be more like if Romo became available and the Broncos traded for him. 

Big difference is an established team that's just trying to patch a hole, not overhaul.

I disagree with it being a good example for our situation,  we aren't a shutdown corner away from a superbowl or a pass rusher away.  NE had a weak secondary... Mad perfect sense for them. 

Maybe there is a miss communication on our points.  

Who was the injured guy we got from Buffalo a few years ago?

Turned out to be a total dud.  I can't remember who that was.

12 minutes ago, K-Dog said:

Darius Byrd or something? 

19 minutes ago, K-Dog said:

Was it Lee Evans? 

1 hour ago, Somerset Ravens said:

Was it Lee Evans? 

That is who I was thinking of.

Wasn't a total dud, but didn't amount to much . Certainly played no small part in a major playoff loss . 

40 minutes ago, K-Dog said:

Wasn't a total dud, but didn't amount to much . Certainly played no small part in a major playoff loss . 

I don't blame the drop on Evans,  it was a good play by the CB.  It'd not like he cundiff'd it

On 11/23/2016 at 9:26 PM, kjbmore said:

everybody always so pessimistic about high priced free agents

what about denver - did they win a superbowl after they brought in ward, ware, talib, sanders,  what about the pats - pretty sure they won 1 the year they brought in revis?? is that money well spent or were they just throwing cash around for the sake of it, pretty sure the panthers would stump up the cash for norman if they had their time over

right now im pessimistic about our chances of drafting and developing enough talent to truly elevate this team beyond mediocre, our first 3 picks from the previous year arent making any contribution perriman, maxx, davis - MIA, this year one out of 3 giving us some help - so with that track record - im not holding my breathe to just start hitting it out of the park and get 3 or 4 starters in this next draft - where i actually need them - its nice we hit on some guys - a slot corner, dlineman, , tackle, maybe a half decent pass rusher - we havent added anything i would consider a difference maker from our last 2 drafts

im also pessimistic about signing castoffs,cheap guys, old guys and hoping they elevate their play and play above their salary ie - watson,hester, arrington, powers, lewis??

so with that in mind - id be open to seeing what ozzie could do with a bit of cash

can always dream, pretty much the point of the thread

Watson had a great year with the Saints last year. I don't think he belongs on that list 

2 hours ago, Jonah DeVito said:

Watson had a great year with the Saints last year. I don't think he belongs on that list 

guy was 35 - that's asking for trouble

13 hours ago, K-Dog said:

Evans looked so good in preseason as a deep threat. He and Joe really seemed to have a connection.

Then he gets injured...

2 hours ago, K-Dog said:

Steve Smith says Hi.

Sr was and is one of the best receivers in the game, BIG difference in a TE that honestly has only had "abi e average" years in less than 1/4 of his playing time, and the rest at mediocre. Watson is gone. 

I'm torn with the BWill problem.  Which is really an entire D problem. I've long wanted Pees gone, but do you bring in a 3-4 base guy, or a 4-3 base guy. Considering a large number of snaps are in the nickel it kinda makes sense to run a 4-3 base and we certainly have the horses for it. 

Next up is Wagner. It's pretty obvious we need to replace Zuttah in the offseason. As many complaints as Birk got in his later years he was still better. CAN we keep Wagner so we're only disrupting one part of the line? Is that wise? Looking forward, as long as Stanley plays up to par he's gonna get a good contract. Typically teams have 2-3 guys they pay really well and the other 2 are on cheap deals, and over the years things flex a bit. Yanda only has a couple years left. So do you go ahead and move Lewis, letting Wagner walk and try and fill the whole middle of the left side with FA or rookies? Maybe Urschel can take over at C and you only need to fill LG.  It you better get a better OL coach  

Than you have FS. Webb costs way too much for the production  bite the bullet. He'll never be worth his price tag, even taking a pay cut. And there's not much in FA. Top name, Berry and no way does KC let him go  This is one where it's gotta be the draft, and gotta be high so they can start right off when they have Weddle to learn from.

1 hour ago, terrynjulia03 said:

Sr was and is one of the best receivers in the game, BIG difference in a TE that honestly has only had "abi e average" years in less than 1/4 of his playing time, and the rest at mediocre. Watson is gone. 

Pretty much this.

one guy might be going to the hall the other had a couple good seasons

and then Steve still blew out his Achilles - prob cos he's old and we put so much on his plate

Given Gilmore & Maxx can't get healthy we prob should have grabbed somebody a bit younger, less likely to suffer injury.

we're over here signing grandpas, patriots sent a 4th to the Bears for Bennett 

We desperately need an OLB (though I know we have Judon), a Center, CB2, FS, DE (depending how Bronson looks next summer and if we retain Guy who I really like), WR (if Senior retires), and RT depending if we retain Wagner or not. My wishlist is as follows if we filled these needs strictly based on free agency... (except Center unless we trade for one because the market for them sucks in 2017) ...which of course won't happen:

1.) Nick Perry. Rotating him with Judon would be great, and if Sizz goes down, we have options. 

2.) Stephon Gilmore (shut up and take my money!)

3.) Tony Jefferson and switch Weddle back to FS. Webb is not the answer.   

4.) Terrelle Pryor. Please. Perfect fit for Flacco. Either him or Michael Floyd. 

I'd be thrilled if we even just signed one of those guys. No more bargain bin players Ozzie.   

Yes to Terrelle Pryor - exactly what Flacco needs

as much love as I have for Steve Smith, we can't throw jump balls his way like we did with Boldin 

I really want to see that type of receiver again

I thought that was more a shot at the Front Office and saying something had to be done because it wasn't good enough because he cared for those guys, the qbs that we're getting killed

i like it, he's speaking up, we need all the heart and fire we can get once Steve retires

i remember Steve smith taking a shot at anybody who wasn't pulling their weight, when we lost to go 0-3 last year - saying 'some of them just like being on the team'

Edited by Moderator 3
Language

5 hours ago, Deflated Football said:

We desperately need an OLB (though I know we have Judon), a Center, CB2, FS, DE (depending how Bronson looks next summer and if we retain Guy who I really like), WR (if Senior retires), and RT depending if we retain Wagner or not. My wishlist is as follows if we filled these needs strictly based on free agency... (except Center unless we trade for one because the market for them sucks in 2017) ...which of course won't happen:

1.) Nick Perry. Rotating him with Judon would be great, and if Sizz goes down, we have options. 

4.) Terrelle Pryor. Please. Perfect fit for Flacco. Either him or Michael Floyd. 

I'd be thrilled if we even just signed one of those guys. No more bargain bin players Ozzie.   

Let me address this. Center, yes. Zuttah sucks. CB2. No. More like more depth. Tavon has looked good on the outside. FS? If we can get Tony Jefferson, which I think is likely, then yes. God yes. DE? No.. I think Guy will be cheap, and Bronson is a guy I really like. Not to mention we also have Henry who could be an option. WR? It'd be more a luxury but I think we get a Garcon, and RTs are usually affordable so I think retaining Wagner is easy. 

Nick Perry would be a good player here. But I doubt the packers let him go. I doubt that Buffalo is going to let Gillmore go, as they have $20 million in cap next year and he's the only guy they could stand not to lose. I think Jefferson belongs here and is a good choice. And Calais Campbell and Chandler Jones are honestly more important to the team. Pryor? He looks good and all, but I wouldn't pay top dollar for him. Floyd on the other hand, I'd like. 

But we're not gonna spend much in FA. Most of the cap we open up will go to retaining our own guys. The past offseason might have shown a potential change in philosophy as we paid Wallace and Weddle a good amount of money. But those are two guys. One in which was cut. So if I'd pick anyone, it'd be Jefferson, it allows the secondary to stay young and he's a good in the box safety. 

What we are likely to do is pay both Williams and Wagner and keep Guy. Then go get like a Tony Jefferson or Michah Hyde both of those types tend to fly under the radar in spite of the fact that they are both very good players. Half the fanbase will go "what are you doing Ozzie? I am better"(or only one 32 year old if you know who I am talking about ;)). Then the FO will go sign another under the radar guy and go "why do we never get the stars". Or go get a Jabaal Sheard who's historically an above average player because the patriots have other guys they have to retain such as Harmon, Bennett, Vollmer, Hightower.

We are not likely to get a star. They don't usually leave teams. We got lucky that the Chargers are a pathetic organization. 

4 hours ago, Deflated Football said:

Obtaining 7 new assumable "starters" is a 2-3 year plan, at best. No chance in the world it could be achieved in a single offseason, regardless of cap space or draft picks.