kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,553 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Inqui said:

I got negged for saying Zuttah will probably be our starting C next year, but the FA class is truly depressing.

Joe Hawley
Cody Wallace
John Sullivan (or whatever's left of him)
AQ Shipley
Michael Person
Brian Schwenke
JC Tretter

That's not a list of people we could go after - that's the entire class. Assuming the Packers do what the Packers do every year and pay Tretter before he hits FA, that makes Shipley a genuine top five option. And we're not the only ones struggling at C so there won't be a lack of competition for those signatures.

What? you're not nostalgic of the AQ Shipley days?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Maryland said:

Regarding those folks who want us to address Center in FA, I don't really see any UFAs who would be an upgrade over Zuttah (maybe Wisinewski) and I don't see any impending cap casualties either. 

Free agent class is awful. We need to either roll with Urschel or Jensen preferably Urschel or draft Elflein from Ohio St. to play C 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Inqui said:

Yeah, when I say I expect Zuttah to stick around I don't say that because I love the guy's work (far from it) - it's because the other options actually look worse.

I agree that the draft is probably our best bet, but even then the options don't look too overwhelming (unlike WR, RB and OLB, which are far more talented groups) and as you say we have so many other needs (including two of those positions I mentioned where the class looks a lot better) that there's no guarantee that a C is the BPA at all.

Exactly I mean we went down the Gino/Shipley path already. But like you said no one else is better unless we draft one. Elflein in my opinion is the best option but again I'm a biased Buckeye fan but most experts have him 1st or 2nd C so maybe I'm not totally biased this time. 

Edited by Wildabeast88
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ALPHA said:

The next FA class for OL is not good and Yanda will be 33, we need an immediate impact from the draft.

That was part of this years draft I agree we need another G/C or both but in an ideal world Stanley and Lewis are starters for years to come obviously there are variables do we resign Wagner or does that kick Lewis to T. Are Urschel or Jensen starting caliber. I do agree we need at least 1 possibly 2 more interior linemen. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Maryland said:

Regarding those folks who want us to address Center in FA, I don't really see any UFAs who would be an upgrade over Zuttah (maybe Wisinewski) and I don't see any impending cap casualties either. 

Should've gotten Alex Mack when we had the chance :( how's he playing this year? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deflated Football said:

Should've gotten Alex Mack when we had the chance :( how's he playing this year? 

 

$9.5M for a Center?

No thanks. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deflated Football said:

Curious, what is Zuttah getting paid?

AAV is about $4M. Getting $3.5M this year.

Mack's AAV is $9M and is making $13.25M this year.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wishlist for 2017:

1.) Stephon Gilmore

2.) Alshon Jeffery 

Manuever some money Ozzie. No more bargain bin signings. You've been doing that for two years now and we still haven't gotten over .500, though I loved the Weddle and Wallace signing. We need explosion on both sides of the ball!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Deflated Football said:

If Steve Smith retires, would you guys take a chance and sign Alshon since his price tag should go down considerably? 

Not only has his production gone down, he also has several nagging injuries that carries him and now he got caught doing dope.   

Unless its a 'prove it' cheap deal, he can go take a risk with someone else.   We are not going to another season with another 'what ifs'  

If you are getting a guy, grab someone with a proven record like Mason/SSS/Boldin.  

Otherwise, we need to figure out how to develop young WRs that can build rapport w/ Joe Flacco.  Which is almost next to impossible.  But it must be done.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

AAV is about $4M. Getting $3.5M this year.

Mack's AAV is $9M and is making $13.25M this year.

 

So you'd rather keep an extremely mediocre and soft Zuttah because of his salary? We sorely need an upgrade. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

$9.5M for a Center?

No thanks. 

To be fair, he's been a rock for that offensive line and a major reason for the turnaround on that line.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Maryland said:

The Packers have Corey Linsley though, and he was their starter the last couple seasons. Maybe they just roll with him next season?

I'm not sure if Tretter is good or not. I no longer buy PFF, and I don't exactly notice guys play Center unless they're terrible or truly spectacular lol.

I'd take Tretter in a heartbeat.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ravenseconbeast said:

Not only has his production gone down, he also has several nagging injuries that carries him and now he got caught doing dope.   

Unless its a 'prove it' cheap deal, he can go take a risk with someone else.   We are not going to another season with another 'what ifs'  

If you are getting a guy, grab someone with a proven record like Mason/SSS/Boldin.  

Otherwise, we need to figure out how to develop young WRs that can build rapport w/ Joe Flacco.  Which is almost next to impossible.  But it must be done.  

To your last paragraph, you're right, it's next to impossible and it's never happened. He does so much better with the veterans. He has tunnel vision with them. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

To be fair, he's been a rock for that offensive line and a major reason for the turnaround on that line.

I agree big homie 

Edited by Deflated Football
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

To be fair, he's been a rock for that offensive line and a major reason for the turnaround on that line.

Agreed. I'm just not paying $9M for an interior offensive lineman.

I doubt you'll see this FO do that anytime soon either.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Agreed. I'm just not paying $9M for an interior offensive lineman.

I doubt you'll see this FO do that anytime soon either.

No, I wouldn't expect it from the Ravens, either.

When Joe Thomas talked about not bringing back Mack, he talked about how some teams prioritize the outside first and build in and how some prioritize inside out. Falcons were the latter and it's working for them. I'd imagine the Ravens are the former. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Agreed. I'm just not paying $9M for an interior offensive lineman.

I doubt you'll see this FO do that anytime soon either.

They're too busy giving a 30 year old Pitta over 6 million a year after a fractured hip 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deflated Football said:

They're too busy giving a 30 year old Pitta over 6 million a year after a fractured hip 

Well that and trying to retain guys like Brandon Williams, Jernigan, Mosley, etc.

That becomes more difficult when you have double digit cap hits for a Center...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

No, I wouldn't expect it from the Ravens, either.

When Joe Thomas talked about not bringing back Mack, he talked about how some teams prioritize the outside first and build in and how some prioritize inside out. Falcons were the latter and it's working for them. I'd imagine the Ravens are the former. 

True, but part of that is because we're so good at drafting interior offensive lineman that we usually don't have to pay top dollar to them. We can if we are able to, but if not, we will just let them walk and draft a reasonable replacement.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Deflated Football said:

They're too busy giving a 30 year old Pitta over 6 million a year after a fractured hip 

You say that as if he just got paid rather than before the injuries, would you rather have had us cut him and carry an insane dead cap hit?

Edited by hn68wb4
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

You say that as if he just got paid rather than before the injuries, would you rather have had us cut him and carry an insane dead cap hit?

Was it an extension? I thought it was to retain him so he wouldn't be a free agent 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

True, but part of that is because we're so good at drafting interior offensive lineman that we usually don't have to pay top dollar to them. We can if we are able to, but if not, we will just let them walk and draft a reasonable replacement.

I'd be more willing to pay a good center in this free agent class because the best this class has to offer, as it stands, is Pat Elfein and he may go before the Ravens are up in round two. 

Not really sure what next year holds.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deflated Football said:

Was it an extension? I thought it was to retain him so he wouldn't be a free agent 

I meant over the past couple years since re-signing him

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Deflated Football said:

Was it an extension? I thought it was to retain him so he wouldn't be a free agent 

It was a brand new contract.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BmoreBird22 said:

No, I wouldn't expect it from the Ravens, either.

When Joe Thomas talked about not bringing back Mack, he talked about how some teams prioritize the outside first and build in and how some prioritize inside out. Falcons were the latter and it's working for them. I'd imagine the Ravens are the former. 

We certainly weren't always like that lol

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Deflated Football said:

My wishlist for 2017:

1.) Stephon Gilmore

2.) Alshon Jeffery 

Manuever some money Ozzie. No more bargain bin signings. You've been doing that for two years now and we still haven't gotten over .500, though I loved the Weddle and Wallace signing. We need explosion on both sides of the ball!

Yea,  let's go get a Injury prone wr that's going to command 10mill plus.  Sounds great.  Also, bargain bin signings such as Wallace,  Weddle,  ssr,  have seem to work pretty well 

 

I don't understand all these fans who want to go spend big money.  It hardly Ever works. It's just like the stock market.... You don't buy at high point, your Roi will never work out 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Yea,  let's go get a Injury prone wr that's going to command 10mill plus.  Sounds great.  Also, bargain bin signings such as Wallace,  Weddle,  ssr,  have seem to work pretty well 

 

I don't understand all these fans who want to go spend big money.  It hardly Ever works. It's just like the stock market.... You don't buy at high point, your Roi will never work out 

Hey buddy, I only said Alshon because he'll be coming off of a season ending injury so teams may shy away from giving him big money. I also said I loved the Weddle and Wallace signings. Steve Smith will probably retire. Have fun with BP (who's shown very little), an aging Mike Wallace and an unproven Chris Moore. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Deflated Football said:

Hey buddy, I only said Alshon because he'll be coming off of a season ending injury so teams may shy away from giving him big money. I also said I loved the Weddle and Wallace signings. Steve Smith will probably retire. Have fun with BP (who's shown very little), an aging Mike Wallace and an unproven Chris Moore. 

BP and Moore are a draft pick,  I wouldn't call that bargain bin signings.  Jeffery isn't even injured  right now so Not sure what your talking about.  Going out  and singing big free agents isn't a recipe for winning,  it's a recipe for winning March which never translated.  Using Revis is a terrible example 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now