• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Nightman

Baltimore is awarded an Arena Football League Franchise

32 posts in this topic

Today Baltimore was awarded a Arena Football League team owned by Monumental Sports and Entertainment the same people who also own the Washington Valor.  They will play their home games at the Royal Farms Arena and start play in 2017.  That makes it 5 teams in the league, some last year folded like the LA Kiss a few other jumped to the new Indoor Football League which will be on FS1.   if its like the Washington Valor, they'll hire a coach before naming the team, but there will be natural regional rivalries with the Philadelphia Soul and the Valor

I don't know what will happen to the Baltimore Lighting minor league indoor football team, but I'd rather watch the sport at its highest level, instead.

Edited by Nightman

8 hours ago, Nightman said:

I think they will add one more team before the season starts and have 6 for the year.

http://www.baltimoreafl.com/

I didn't know how far the Arena League has fallen - however, I'm willing to give the Baltimore side a chance; with the proper marketing, plus decent scouting of talent, and a good team name, I think we've got a winner, here.

5 hours ago, Steve0x said:

Didn't Baltimore once had an indoor football team? I went to Baltimore Mariners championship game 

I0000xeSdIMmZ6V0.jpg

Baltimore also shared an Arena League team with Washington for one season as the Maryland Commandos, probably when Abe Pollen's Center Management group ran the Arena.  The season was split between Charm City and the Capital Centre.  Back then the Bullets played a game or two up there and the Skipjacks were the Caps AHL affiliate.

Later minor league indoor football was played by the Blackbirds who became the Mariners.  The Baltimore Lightening was supposed to start play this season, but they might want to move.

My suggestion for a head coach would be one of the assistants from the Philly Soul.

5 hours ago, Nightman said:

My suggestion for a head coach would be one of the assistants from the Philly Soul.

Mine would be Brian Billick

My suggestion for head coach - provided htey're still with us, and are okay with this - are Hugh Campbell and Ray Jauch.

18 hours ago, George70 said:

My suggestion for head coach - provided htey're still with us, and are okay with this - are Hugh Campbell and Ray Jauch.

Ray Jauch couldn't cut in the states, he was the first Coach of the USFL  Washington Federals and was fired after the first game of the 1984 season, would up coaching a High School team in Northern Virginia and then coach the Arena Football Chicago Bruisers in the first full season of the League.  Then he went back to Canada and coached the Saskatwan Rough Riders before retiring.

19 hours ago, Nightman said:

Ray Jauch couldn't cut in the states, he was the first Coach of the USFL  Washington Federals and was fired after the first game of the 1984 season, would up coaching a High School team in Northern Virginia and then coach the Arena Football Chicago Bruisers in the first full season of the League.  Then he went back to Canada and coached the Saskatwan Rough Riders before retiring.

Thanks for the heads up, Nightman.

As for the team name, will there be a "name the team" contest?  I certainly hope there will be.

3 hours ago, George70 said:

Thanks for the heads up, Nightman.

As for the team name, will there be a "name the team" contest?  I certainly hope there will be.

Ted Leonsis said in a an interview that a name will be chosen in 30 days, I expect to be as lame like the Washington Valor.  He also said there might be one more expansion to make an even 6, Ted said it might be in Newark at the Prudential Center, other rumors are St. Louis. 

On 11/15/2016 at 4:34 AM, Steve0x said:

Didn't Baltimore once had an indoor football team? I went to Baltimore Mariners championship game 

I0000xeSdIMmZ6V0.jpg

Yes, I had season tix their last season. That year, the Mariners set a league record for most points scored in a game, most scored in a season, largest victory margin in a game, and went undefeated. The team folded after the head of 1st Mariner Bank was investigated on several charges. I still have a football I caught and had the team sign after the Championship game. A lot of fun for the money, season tix that year was $59 !!

On 12/2/2016 at 5:15 PM, poescrows said:

Yes, I had season tix their last season. That year, the Mariners set a league record for most points scored in a game, most scored in a season, largest victory margin in a game, and went undefeated. The team folded after the head of 1st Mariner Bank was investigated on several charges. I still have a football I caught and had the team sign after the Championship game. A lot of fun for the money, season tix that year was $59 !!

Its a Baltimore team owned by a Washington Owner.

https://www.facebook.com/BaltimoreAFL/?fref=ts

The second Mariners team played 2 out 4 home games and played the rest of the season on the road due to poor attendance.  They won the title, but folded after the season.

1 hour ago, Nightman said:

Looks like they'll have a name by the 25th.

How bowl The BALTIMORE COLTS?  Now Jim Irsay is nothing like his dad ok? Jim Irsay wanted to make peace with us by planting a tree here remember|? Now This is a test..Im Sure he wouldn't try to sue us just like his dad did when we had the CFL colts Heres my idea for the logo 

ZILS8x9d_200x200.jpg

Official colors are Blue,Gold and white like the LA Rams uniforms are

So am I a traitor if I end up getting season tickets to the Valor? :P I'm over an hour drive from Royal Farms Arena vs a 20 min Metro ride or drive to Verizon Center. 

However, if I heard that Bisciotti owned the Baltimore team and was getting some staff in there...

Edited by theblackdog

On 1/3/2017 at 3:33 PM, Nightman said:

Looks like they'll have a name by the 25th.

I'll be watching and waiting with baited breath, Nightman.

The first game for the Baltimore team to be named later and the Washington Valor will be at the Verizon Center on April 7.  All the games for both teams will be broadcast on Monmumental Sports Net, a digital network that requires a subscription fee via Chromecast, Roku, Smart TVs and Smartphones.

Dumb name for them. At Least Jim Sperros tried to bring back the Colts from the dead and begin a new Colts tradition.

On 1/25/2017 at 4:16 PM, Steve0x said:

Dumb name for them. At Least Jim Sperros tried to bring back the Colts from the dead and begin a new Colts tradition.

He listed to longtime Baltimore Pro Football writer John Steadman who said "Unless you call the team Colts, nobody will take them seriously:.

On 1/25/2017 at 0:12 PM, Nightman said:

At a press conference today at the Royal Farms Arena the name of the team was annouced.  They are now known as the Baltimore Brigade.

http://www.baltimorebrigade.com/

I'm giving this team name a definite maybe.

Never could get into the AFL. The games seemed fun but I was never attached to any team or an outcome. Though I'll give The Baltimore Brigade a chance.

5 hours ago, Steve0x said:

Get Front Row seats,,Cause if the ball comes you can keep it

Didn't you say that should be banned in the NFL?

On 1/31/2017 at 2:01 AM, Steve0x said:

Get Front Row seats,,Cause if the ball comes you can keep it

That's a tradition in Arena Football, if you catch it, you can keep it.  This is not Baltimore's first time with the Arena game, they shared the Commados for one season with the Captial Centre as part of the deal when Abe Pollins Centre Management group ran the Baltimore Arena.  They were known that season as the Maryland Commandos.  Other perks were the Skipjacks became the Caps top affiliate and the Bullets returned for a few regular season games.

did anyone know laquan williams is playing wr for the brigade? thats interesting. 

might get some tix to see this. football during the offseason is worth a few bucks to me

10 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

did anyone know laquan williams is playing wr for the brigade? thats interesting. 

might get some tix to see this. football during the offseason is worth a few bucks to me

I heard they signed a former Raven, when calling about season tickets, I said "that might sell you a ticket or two".  They look like they're off to a good start despite starting 3 month later than the Valor.

Edited by Nightman