usmccharles

ESPN-Merged

42 posts in this topic

This is insane to think about.  I myself haven't had cable in a really long time and don't remember the last time I tuned into ESPN outside of a football game. 

By Clay Travis http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-621-000-subscribers-worst-month-in-company-history-102916

Every champ gets knocked to the mat at some point. Sports broadcasting’s heavyweight champ is on the ropes and looking at a TKO if they don’t figure out something, fast.

In Nielsen’s projected November numbers, the media giant will lose 621K subscribers, their worst month on record. The projected loss is almost double ESPN’s turnover in past years, when they averaged around 300K a month. To put that number in monetary terms, ESPN will lose in the ballpark of $52M. These recent projections also come amidst the Titanic like 24% plunge in Monday Night Football ratings—once ESPN’s premier flagship broadcast. The numbers are staggering and represent an even greater trend – cord cutters giving cable the boot once and for all.

<snip>

ESPN pays a staggering $1.9B a year for the rights to Monday Night Football currently. This number is maintained by charging every single cable and satellite subscriber $21.50/yr just for Monday Night Football, whether they watch or not. A number that will only continue to climb. Will ESPN be able to maintain their rights to the NFL and Monday Night Football, while losing almost 30% of their subscriber base by the end of 2021? Can ESPN survive without the NFL? It’s really beginning to look like they’ve fumbled this away. 

<snip>

ESPN sits in a precarious position, a rapidly declining one. Their business model simply isn’t viable going forward and needs rapid and immediate change. ESPN could leave the cable/satellite game and go their own, but then they would lose the mega licensing deals they have with these companies. Furthermore, if ESPN chose to go that route, why would the leagues and networks not just handle distribution themselves, completely cutting out that middle man? ESPN would find itself without a carrier, without subscribers and without any revenue—adios Worldwide Leader in Sports.

On 11/1/2016 at 4:42 PM, Moderator 3 said:

Other than occasional live sports events, I haven't watched ESPN in months (maybe years).  

What had to be edited? 

Edit- never-mind, i see the note

Edited by usmccharles

I remember when ESPN was in it's infancy.  It was all random and bizarre sports like full contact pick up sticks and cross country bowling.  

I really like their World Cup coverage so I hope this isn't the case. Honestly MNF has probably lost value and wonder if it's even worth that price. NFL ratings have been pretty lousy and most of the prime time games this season have been trash. ESPN may want to look at other sports. 

Edited by Cville-Raven

Why don't ESPN stay out of televising Pro Sports games? Stick with College sports and minor league baseball like they did in the beginning ? And MNF should go back to ABC 

Edited by Steve0x

Hate espn. Good. Maybe fans can become better educated then instead of referencing their stupid statistics and what-not.

Good riddance. 

14 hours ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Hate espn. Good. Maybe fans can become better educated then instead of referencing their stupid statistics and what-not.

Good riddance. 

Yea, but that could be said for any sports show whatsoever on any station.  In that situation, the problem isnt the product, its the consumer.

I remembered I could watch sportscenter 3 hours straight. Believe it or not I think the internet is killing it cuz I get my sports news I need off the net or off the radio. Actually I hardly do TV anymore unless its a sportsgame,news or a good movie.

1 hour ago, Willbacker said:

I remembered I could watch sportscenter 3 hours straight. Believe it or not I think the internet is killing it cuz I get my sports news I need off the net or off the radio. Actually I hardly do TV anymore unless its a sportsgame,news or a good movie.

Haha that's literally the point of the article.  Point out how people are unsibscribing from cable.  

7 hours ago, usmccharles said:

Haha that's literally the point of the article.  Point out how people are unsibscribing from cable.  

Cable is just so expensive for the two hundred channels of complete crap.

It wouldn't surprise me.  I'm definitely one that gets my information and highlights from social media nowadays, and I don't see that changing.  No sense in waiting for ESPN to air the highlights of the game I want to see when a quick look on social media shows everything.  I even used to be an avid visitor of their website, but even that has diminished greatly.  I check out their app but that's about it now.

As stated above, I can't remember the last time I turned on ESPN to watch the highlights of the day.  I only tune in when there's a live sporting event going on, and most of that is on Fox, NBC, CBS, etc. now.

I think bad news for sports all around.   Most sports networks are supported by cable subscribers who never watch the channels.  For example I was reading how the Wizards averaged 25,000 viewers a game but they were getting paid 30 million a year for their broadcast rights.  Makes no sense at all.  Comcast  Sports is charging every cable and satellited subscriber in the DC/Baltimore Area $4.50 to have that channel in their bundle.  Sports have leeched off society for a while.  With taxpayer built stadiums.  Forcing people to pay for sports channels most cable subscribers dont' even realize exist.  

Just think it is ridiculous how the Ravens get a free stadium yet make millions upon millions a year and pay Flacco what 25 million a year? If you can afford that salary you can afford to pay for you own stadium. 

Edited by atomicfront

9 hours ago, K-Dog said:

K-Dog i know why its expensive. I cant say it cause its against the rules here. But you get what im trying to say. I wonder if Mods will get me if i say it in spanish?

5 hours ago, K-Dog said:

Then why bother saying anything ?

Because they're other options than cable. Like Direct TV for example.

6 hours ago, Steve0x said:

Because they're other options than cable. Like Direct TV for example.

So say that instead . 

11 hours ago, K-Dog said:

Dumped cable. I use sling, but a part of the package is ESPN. Still gotta get the college basketball coverage and MNF. 

I do like SVP, but other than him, no on air personalities I really like. Back in the day, they were the bomb - but now ... meh. They are such a machine. Puppet masters pulling the strings on their on air personality. Toe the company line or you're gone. What did Colin Cowherd get fired for? Please. The ultimate in PR hyper-sensitivity. 

9 hours ago, balfan23 said:

Dumped cable. I use sling, but a part of the package is ESPN. Still gotta get the college basketball coverage and MNF. 

I do like SVP, but other than him, no on air personalities I really like. Back in the day, they were the bomb - but now ... meh. They are such a machine. Puppet masters pulling the strings on their on air personality. Toe the company line or you're gone. What did Colin Cowherd get fired for? Please. The ultimate in PR hyper-sensitivity. 

Collin is so much better on FS1.  But he was leaving anyways...

I haven't watched espn in years outside of live events at bars etc. 

I've never had cable and never will. I can't justify paying that much for a few channels I would actually watch but then still have to pay extra to watch the teams I'd want to watch

10 hours ago, codizzle said:

I haven't watched espn in years outside of live events at bars etc. 

I've never had cable and never will. I can't justify paying that much for a few channels I would actually watch but then still have to pay extra to watch the teams I'd want to watch

Yeah, I cancelled NZ's version of cable almost a year ago and haven't regretted it for a day. If I'm going to pay $100 a month for crap I have no interest in, I at least expect a passable online/mobile service for the stuff I do want to see. Numbers for that kind of service seem to be plummeting all around the world, and it's not surprising considering how outdated that model is and that the companies don't seem interested in adapting.

Edited by Inqui

Today, they are dead to me. Showing meaningless Pacers Bills game on one channel and OSU on the other, all while Alabama is at the Death Valley.

3 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

Today, they are dead to me. Showing meaningless Pacers Bills game on one channel and OSU on the other, all while Alabama is at the Death Valley.

ESPN has been dead to me since it pulled the pin on Grantland. 

On 11/3/2016 at 7:05 AM, K-Dog said:

Play station (of all things) has cable available for really reasonable prices with several channels you can only get (for me, at least) by subscribing to a bigger package, but the internet cost by itself would make it not worth it. 

19 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Play station (of all things) has cable available for really reasonable prices with several channels you can only get (for me, at least) by subscribing to a bigger package, but the internet cost by itself would make it not worth it. 

Someone at my work as a stream-smart.  Its a little box that lets you watch everything live or things that have already came on.  All football games, ufc events, all pay-per-view for just a one time charge of about 250.  Im thinking of picking one up..

On 11/1/2016 at 9:57 PM, Steve0x said:

Why don't ESPN stay out of televising Pro Sports games? Stick with College sports and minor league baseball like they did in the beginning ? And MNF should go back to ABC 

I agree, Steve - in fact, I miss the days when Aussie Rules was on the channel; this led me to become more of a fan for that sport, especially the Essendon Football Club.

NFL needs to go back to ABC. And Baseball should go back to NBC. ESPN hurting the Ratings of NFL and MLB. Cause not everyone can afford cable TV now. Its got pretty expensive. 

1 hour ago, Steve0x said:

NFL needs to go back to ABC. And Baseball should go back to NBC. ESPN hurting the Ratings of NFL and MLB. Cause not everyone can afford cable TV now. Its got pretty expensive. 

If I wanted to get ESPN, my cable bill would jump up $60 a month

11 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

If I wanted to get ESPN, my cable bill would jump up $60 a month

:o 

That is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised to see MNF moved to ABC next season or all together removed from ESPN and onto a new network. I could see FOX wanting to jump in and take over the MNF slot so FOX, NBC, CBS and NFL Network all own the rights to telecasting NFL games. Though if the NFL was smart they start looking into streaming games to catch those people who have cut the cord.