JoeyFlex5

2017 DB Thread

834 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, PurpleSnowman said:

What do you guys think about Budda Baker at 16? We are very thin at safety behind Weddle and Jefferson, and we currently do not have a single-high, center-field type safety on our roster. He showed his speed at the combine and from the tape I've watched he seems to have good hand and instincts on the back end. He may be the reason why Jones and King weren't reluctant to act on their instinct when it came to undercutting slant routes or playing press coverage since they had a good safety behind them who could cover and make up ground quickly. He also is a sure tackler and uses his body. I wouldn't mind picking him up with our first rounder and have him spend a year or two learning behind Weddle and coming in on passing downs with Jefferson playing as a nickel LB next to Mosely.    

i dont see the value for baker at 16 - he's my 24th player on the board (moved back a couple of spots after the jefferson signing) - he's an incredibly promising and exciting player but he's not a guaranteed playmaker which is what you want at 16 if you are picking a guy when your roster has a logjam at the position - i could see him progressing into a tyron mathieu type of role maybe or as a modern safety who plays both free and in the box - he's a very intriguing player who i really fell in love with watching the tape but i dont think he's the value pick at 16 and i dont think he falls close to the 2nd round pick

14 hours ago, ravensnation5220 said:

I just found out Cam Sutton is lil boosie's cousin....did not know that...lol 

Hopefully Sutton isn't as bad as Boosie's rapping ability (or lack thereof).

Bucky Brooks now has Chidobe Awuzie as the 3rd CB going off the board at 15. 

Am I missing something??

i mean I like him. Serious ball skills. But there's at least 6-7 CBs, probably 8 before I even discuss him being in the realm. 

15 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Bucky Brooks now has Chidobe Awuzie as the 3rd CB going off the board at 15. 

Am I missing something??

i mean I like him. Serious ball skills. But there's at least 6-7 CBs, probably 8 before I even discuss him being in the realm. 

Yes, you are. Bucky Brooks sucks.

15 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

I've seen another mock with awuzie in the top 15. Can't remember which one it was. Might have been CBS but I'm not totally sure. 

19 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

I've seen another mock with awuzie in the top 15. Can't remember which one it was. Might have been CBS but I'm not totally sure. 

CBS sounds about right

53 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

I know he sucks. He sucks imo though at understanding what directions teams will actually go and matching the prospects to teams. 

But he does have contacts in scouting circles.... and that's a bold move to suddenly jump him above 6-7 guys who are almost a unanimous consensus rated higher. 

Hes gotta be pulling it from somewhere or something he's hearing bc he never had him on the radar before. 

You don't just pull a 3rd round prospect and place him Top 15 without some basis. 

DJ Hayden popped up high in mocks out of no where... and it happened for reason. 

Artie Burns was one last year that was mid/late 2nd and suddenly was getting mocked 1st by some. 

Not saying it's got to have substance... but it's a crazy move to make without reason. He's also got Fabian Moreau in the 1st as the next CB taken, with Adoree Jackson rounding out the rd 1 CBs.  I've heard more and more about both those guys climbing up boards.... maybe scouts/FOs are higher on Awuzie than we suspect. 

All the better though, Bc that would mean we have a good shot at either Sid Jones, Humphrey or Wilson in the 2nd. 

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

1 minute ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I know he sucks. He sucks imo though at understanding what directions teams will actually go and matching the prospects to teams. 

But he does have contacts in scouting circles.... and that's a bold move to suddenly jump him above 6-7 guys who are almost a unanimous consensus rated higher. 

Hes gotta be pulling it from somewhere or something he's hearing bc he never had him on the radar before. 

You don't just pull a 3rd round prospect and place him Top 15 without some basis. 

DJ Hayden popped up high in mocks out of no where... and it happened for reason. 

Artie Burns was one last year that was mid/late 2nd and suddenly was getting mocked 1st by some. 

Not saying it's got to have substance... but it's a crazy move to make without reason. He's also got Fabian Moreau in the 1st as the next CB taken, with Adoree Jackson rounding out the rd 1 CBs.  I've heard more and more about both those guys climbing up boards.... maybe scouts/FOs are higher on Awuzie than we suspect. 

It wouldn't surprise me. He's extremely versatile. He can really do anything for your secondary and his tape is great. I think it's more of a surprise he's so high all of a sudden.

If he was mocked in the first round from the start nobody would have a problem with it

33 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

It wouldn't surprise me. He's extremely versatile. He can really do anything for your secondary and his tape is great. I think it's more of a surprise he's so high all of a sudden.

If he was mocked in the first round from the start nobody would have a problem with it

That's the crazy thing about the CB's this year. 

Its like no one has a consensus on where these guys are actually going to go... or how they stack up. 

And I imagine different teams are going to have the CBs ranked in vastly different orders. 

Lattimore and Jones seemed the safe top 2. Now with Jones' injury all bets are off. 

If you're looking for length/size and projecting traits... you could easily justify Humphrey, Wilson, White and Tabor in some order. 

If you value diversity, athleticism or ball production you can definitely argue guys like Moreau, Adoree and Awuzie ahead of some of the above. 

And that's not including Conley who's been projected first round a lot.

I think it was Mel Kiper who said even Kevin King had a 1st round grade from some teams.

And there's still Jourdan Lewis, Desmond King and Cordrea who some have been high on... and depending if you view some better at S or CB.

After Lattimore it's anywhere from like 8-13 guys that you could almost make an argument for in any order depending on scheme, what you value, what you've already got in your secondary, and how high you're willing to take a risk on Sidney or some of the more raw but extremely long/athletic/physical guys.

Might be all the reason I need to let everyone else go crazy trying to figure it out and panicking that "their guy" will be next off the board, while we let better players fall to us or take advantage of a trade back.... while still being able to land a guy that could have a 1st round grade for us in the 2nd or even 3rd. 

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

12 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

That's the crazy thing about the CB's this year. 

Its like no one has a consensus on where these guys are actually going to go... or how they stack up. 

And I imagine different teams are going to have the CBs ranked in vastly different orders. 

Lattimore and Jones seemed the safe top 2. Now with Jones' injury all bets are off. 

If you're looking for length/size and projecting traits... you could easily justify Humphrey, Wilson, White and Tabor in some order. 

If you value diversity, athleticism or ball production you can definitely argue guys like Moreau, Adoree and Awuzie ahead of some of the above. 

And that's not including Conley who's been projected first round a lot.

I think it was Mel Kiper who said even Kevin King had a 1st round grade from some teams.

And there's still Jourdan Lewis, Desmond King and Cordrea who some have been high on... and depending if you view some better at S or CB.

After Lattimore it's anywhere from like 8-13 guys that you could almost make an argument for in any order depending on scheme, what you value, what you've already got in your secondary, and how high you're willing to take a risk on Sidney or some of the more raw but extremely long/athletic/physical guys.

Might be all the reason I need to let everyone else go crazy trying to figure it out and panicking that "their guy" will be next off the board, while we let better players fall to us or take advantage of a trade back.... while still being able to land a guy that could have a 1st round grade for us in the 2nd or even 3rd. 

Ya. There's no way to say how these corners will go until draft day. I think there's like 15 or so guys it seems who could arguably be taken in the first 2 rounds. That's an astounding number for one position. And they can all go in any order really. It's all a matter of preference. If you ask me, my top guy has to be tredavious white just because of his experience(4 year starter) production at the highest level playing at lsu, character and durability. I have a feeling the ravens could see it the same way. But who knows lol. That's just what I look for. I try not to predict how good a player can be and see how good they already are. 

Another thing I've noticed being a repetitive message is Harbaugh saying that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Heard Harbaugh say it today as well as before and it's stuck with me. Not saying people can't change as we've seen Garrett Bolles change but because of what he's done recently i think you can take that and go with it

What's the deal with Witherspoon and Moreau? Their size intrigues me but I don't know much else...

30 minutes ago, January J said:

What's the deal with Witherspoon and Moreau? Their size intrigues me but I don't know much else...

Witherspoon can flat out cover. He's the picture perfect of the lengthy guy that deflects so many ball with his wingspan and his COD skills are still really nice. A bit raw but great upside.

2 hours ago, January J said:

They can both cover and a bit raw. I prefer moreau because he can tackle or at least tries to. Witherspoon might be a better cover guy but he can't tackle and doesn't even try to. That's a major turn off for me

Anyone got a report on Shaquill Griffin?

Just read about his story and his brother. Fascinating and refreshing kid. Turned down Miami bc of a promise he made his brother when they were little that he wouldn't accept any offer to play that wasn't extended to both of them (Shaquem's right hand was amputated at age 4).

Posted awesome numbers at the combine (4.38 40, 39ish vert, 11ft broad).

The other bro had 11.5 sacks coming out next year though. 

Love prospects with this kind of background/upbringing. Set his mind how it was going to play out and now it is. Took the harder road bc of his values and still overcame. 

The measurements check out. 

If the tape matches.... this smells like a Ravens mid round steal. 

1 hour ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Just read about his story and his brother. Fascinating and refreshing kid. Turned down Miami bc of a promise he made his brother when they were little that he wouldn't accept any offer to play that wasn't extended to both of them (Shaquem's right hand was amputated at age 4).

Love prospects with this kind of background/upbringing. Set his mind how it was going to play out and now it is. Took the harder road bc of his values and still overcame. 

When I was at UCF, they lived in the same building where my dorm was at. Both of them seemed like really cool guys from the number of times I've passed them from and to my room. That being said, I know nothing of his football ability. I can't stress enough how little I pay attention to prospects compared to the game itself (hence why I just lurk and read these draft threads to keep up lol). Of course I would love my fellow Knights to be Ravens like Aiken and Perriman.

Speaking of Perriman, I actually got to see him near my dorm like a month before the draft last year. Dude was in good spirits. Totally rooting for him as well. Sorry for going off a tangent, but yeah.

Fabian Moreau had surgery for a torn pectoral muscle. He is expected to be ready for training camp.

Edited by ALI624

Howard Wilson is the corner I really want the Ravens to grab in the late 3rd or 4th. I think after a year of being eased into the lineup he could become a starter for us. He just seems to have a ton of natural talent.

2 hours ago, RaineV1 said:

Howard Wilson is the corner I really want the Ravens to grab in the late 3rd or 4th. I think after a year of being eased into the lineup he could become a starter for us. He just seems to have a ton of natural talent.

Yeah he's really fun to watch.

7 hours ago, RaineV1 said:

I like him a lot too, but i didnt realize how thin he is. I think he's only like 175-180 lbs. At 6'1" he may have to bulk up a little to deal with bigger NFL WRs or hes gonna get bodied all day, and could deal with durability concerns.

I mean people talk about Sidney Jones light frame and having some concerns there about him playing on the outside, but Wilson's taller and lighter.

But i do agree, as a developmental guy theres a lot to like. And being in a NFL program he will probably be able to add 15 lbs no problem.

8 hours ago, RaineV1 said:

i like howard wilson but if i could pick a couple of corners id want us to pick up late 3rd or 4th id have to say akhello witherspoon or damontae kazee

I heard that Sidney Jones said he'll be ready to play in his rookie season. Not sure if that's a huge boost to how likely we are to take him though, I think we already factored in that he could recover for his first season, but we're not as desperate for someone that needs to be able to start instantly.

7 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I like him a lot too, but i didnt realize how thin he is. I think he's only like 175-180 lbs. At 6'1" he may have to bulk up a little to deal with bigger NFL WRs or hes gonna get bodied all day, and could deal with durability concerns.

I mean people talk about Sidney Jones light frame and having some concerns there about him playing on the outside, but Wilson's taller and lighter.

But i do agree, as a developmental guy theres a lot to like. And being in a NFL program he will probably be able to add 15 lbs no problem.

Yeah. He's coming out of college early so he's not as physically developed as a lot of other DBs. But he should be fine after some time in an NFL weight room.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:44 PM, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I really like the guy that played opposite him at UCF. DJ Killings is really underrated.

Tabor ran an unofficial 4.75 40 at his Pro day. 

Man, thats bad. Let the free fall commence (if it hadnt already). I mean, a year ago he was arguably the top or in the convo to be the top CB in the draft.

Now, hes clearly fallen out of top consideration and into a large, constantly moving 2nd group. With the personality/ego type stuff, his sometimes reckless jumping, sloppy technique/grabbiness..... and now this incredibly slow 40 time. Who knows where he could end up.

Late 3rd/4th round??? You could convince me to take a shot on him there.

22 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Tabor ran an unofficial 4.75 40 at his Pro day. 

Man, thats bad. Let the free fall commence (if it hadnt already). I mean, a year ago he was arguably the top or in the convo to be the top CB in the draft.

Now, hes clearly fallen out of top consideration and into a large, constantly moving 2nd group. With the personality/ego type stuff, his sometimes reckless jumping, sloppy technique/grabbiness..... and now this incredibly slow 40 time. Who knows where he could end up.

Late 3rd/4th round??? You could convince me to take a shot on him there.

i could take a chance in the late 3rd because he has some good instincts and tape - i nice amount of swagger as well - and he'll probably have a massive chip on his shoulder - but yeah i never really liked his tape enough for the first couple of rounds

Man, there's some criminally underrated gems who will fall to RD 3-4. 

Just finished to watch 2015 tapes of Marquez White (FSU). The guy has been constantly left on an island and I've counted a mere 1-2 passes a game going his way. He's a poor men's Q.Wilson in my eyes. Sure, not the fastest of the group but has a good punch to threaten WRs release and speed. Good body language read and routes awarness. Very solid player.

M.White, Witherspoon, Kazee, Elder (and later Hairston). There's so much talent at the position that double dipping is almost a must.

Bold Prediction: Desmond King is taken in the first round. He has been shut down in college and the myth that he is too slow for the NFL I don't think holds water. I really think he still looks like a top 5 cornerback on tape.

1 hour ago, Italian Raven said:

Man, there's some criminally underrated gems who will fall to RD 3-4. 

Just finished to watch 2015 tapes of Marquez White (FSU). The guy has been constantly left on an island and I've counted a mere 1-2 passes a game going his way. He's a poor men's Q.Wilson in my eyes. Sure, not the fastest of the group but has a good punch to threaten WRs release and speed. Good body language read and routes awarness. Very solid player.

M.White, Witherspoon, Kazee, Elder (and later Hairston). There's so much talent at the position that double dipping is almost a must.

I'm not sure about white. He's def not as big as Wilson but what worries me most is his lack of on ball production. Hardly ever gets his hands on passes