• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
JoeyFlex5

2017 DB Thread

784 posts in this topic

Treston Decoud, Oregon State

Late round prospect I'm starting to really like. He oozes confidence and swagger. No one will have to convince him he can play at the NFL level and he'll be confident he can win a job. Trash talker of the highest order but not flashy or a show boater. 

Excellent at breaking on the ball in the air. Good ball skills. Also good at turning his head at the last second to locate and break up the deep ball. Often played on an island with the top WR so isn't afraid of a challenge. 

Great open field tackler. Whether against the run or screens/passes in the flat he closes in a hurry and wraps up. Doesn't look for the highlight reel hit... just gets the ball carrier down. Brings his body through the tackle. 

Looks like he plays best off the ball in zone coverage but does have the footwork and make up speed to play man. 

Was also a leader on his defense which I know we covet. 

I can see him being a contributor as the 3rd/4th CB early on with starter upside. 

Could be a great option late... may even be available in the 6th or as an UDFA. 

51 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

That's why I love him in a Cover 3 or Tampa 2. Helps keep the play in front of him more often than not.

This is true but we do play a lot of man as well. We use zone in certain situations like end of half or end of games. Although I think he's a very coachable kid and jimmy can help him along the way. 

Just now, ravensnation5220 said:

This is true but we do play a lot of man as well. We use zone in certain situations like end of half or end of games. Although I think he's a very coachable kid and jimmy can help him along the way. 

Trust me when I say they use quite a bit of zone for the entire game. It's really pretty stark how often they use it, but it's not an easy thing to differentiate because all zone will contain man concepts depending on the routes being run. 

But in any case, I like Humphrey a lot. I think he checks every box physically you want and Jimmy had the same issues of turning his head when he realized he couldn't win on his physical traits alone. I think Humphrey has a very high ceiling.

2 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Trust me when I say they use quite a bit of zone for the entire game. It's really pretty stark how often they use it, but it's not an easy thing to differentiate because all zone will contain man concepts depending on the routes being run. 

But in any case, I like Humphrey a lot. I think he checks every box physically you want and Jimmy had the same issues of turning his head when he realized he couldn't win on his physical traits alone. I think Humphrey has a very high ceiling.

(I know I stated this before, but I've watched some film since) I also like how he's not afraid of making a tackle, something I saw a lack of in Sidney Jones. Got the size and speed we need at an outside corner but needs to work on fluidity, I've seen him get burnt for not using his hips. I still think safety is an option in the future if need be.

Just now, purpletide said:

(I know I stated this before, but I've watched some film since) I also like how he's not afraid of making a tackle, something I saw a lack of in Sidney Jones. Got the size and speed we need at an outside corner but needs to work on fluidity, I've seen him get burnt for not using his hips. I still think safety is an option in the future if need be.

I think his hips get way too much flack. I think the biggest thing I saw is he's actually too quick to open his hips and commit, which might stem from his issues of failing to locate the ball. 

He doesn't backpedal or allow the player to commit before he just turns and runs. He just flips those hips and goes. I think once he gets his ball tracking down better, he'll get better in that regard.

I'm all in on marlon Humphrey if we go cb in the 1st. Although I still think we can get a solid on with our 2nd pick, and leave the 1st for a pass rusher / One of the 2 top WR. I really hope we don't reach for someone like tabor 

2 minutes ago, Davesta said:

I'm all in on marlon Humphrey if we go cb in the 1st. Although I still think we can get a solid on with our 2nd pick, and leave the 1st for a pass rusher / One of the 2 top WR. I really hope we don't reach for someone like tabor 

I haven't really looked into pass rushers past round 1, how far back do you think we can spare to go? As for a first round wr, I feel like we could sacrifice going second or third round to get a pass rusher earlier.

24 minutes ago, purpletide said:

I haven't really looked into pass rushers past round 1, how far back do you think we can spare to go? As for a first round wr, I feel like we could sacrifice going second or third round to get a pass rusher earlier.

It will all depend on how draft starts unfolding. I expect early run on either edge guys or corners but short of any big surprises, we should be able to get a good one in 2nd round.

2 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

It will all depend on how draft starts unfolding. I expect early run on either edge guys or corners but short of any big surprises, we should be able to get a good one in 2nd round.

OK. If that's the case, I see us going with a WR in the third, edge and CB most likely the bigger points to address.

OK. If that's the case, I see us going with a WR in the third, edge and CB most likely the bigger points to address.

There is virtually nothing left in O line free agency and we are short of RT, thin at center and guard position is becoming very important with Yanda's age. I'm almost sure one of the early picks would be offensive lineman.

4 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

There is virtually nothing left in O line free agency and we are short of RT, thin at center and guard position is becoming very important with Yanda's age. I'm almost sure one of the early picks would be offensive lineman.

Yeah, I forgot about O line entirely in this post. Kinda weak in this draft. I like Robinson switching to guard and Lamp is flexible but once you get to the later rounds and it starts to dwindle rapidly. I didn't account for comp pick, I'm pretty sure Claiborne is still available in FA, so that would make CB have a lot less value if we get him. I also don't see WR as more important than O line at this point as well as having many potential late round studs. But I like to talk about defense so I'm biased

1 hour ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I think his hips get way too much flack. I think the biggest thing I saw is he's actually too quick to open his hips and commit, which might stem from his issues of failing to locate the ball. 

He doesn't backpedal or allow the player to commit before he just turns and runs. He just flips those hips and goes. I think once he gets his ball tracking down better, he'll get better in that regard.

I think he's got all the tools to succeed. He just needs to refine his technique a little, idk how you fix his ball tracking ability but maybe we can limit those opportunities by giving him help over the top. Otherwise I think he has great hips and feet, he just needs to be more consistent with it. 

His physicality and football iq will keep him in the NFL for a long time. I also think he's gonna be great early in his career on special teams

1 hour ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I see a lot of jimmy in Humphrey. They look strikingly similar in length, build, physicality, athleticism, and they both have the same strengths and weaknesses coming out.

8 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

I think he's got all the tools to succeed. He just needs to refine his technique a little, idk how you fix his ball tracking ability but maybe we can limit those opportunities by giving him help over the top. Otherwise I think he has great hips and feet, he just needs to be more consistent with it. 

His physicality and football iq will keep him in the NFL for a long time. I also think he's gonna be great early in his career on special teams

I think you fix his ball tracking with confidence and better route recognition. If he were more patient and able to trust his speed and length more, he'd be in a better spot to simply turn his head around. That's the big issue I see.

I'm not sure if this has been covered recently, but is there any chance of drafting Peppers even after signing Jefferson? I've been a big fan of Peppers, more so off the field than on.  Just watched another video that I think shows a lot about his character, especially with what he has gone through. From what I have seen he is just such an exciting player that really can command and lead wherever he's put. Only one interception is what a lot of people tend to focus on but this guy is pretty exciting to watch.

5 minutes ago, KentuckyProud said:

I'm not sure if this has been covered recently, but is there any chance of drafting Peppers even after signing Jefferson? I've been a big fan of Peppers, more so off the field than on.  Just watched another video that I think shows a lot about his character, especially with what he has gone through. From what I have seen he is just such an exciting player that really can command and lead wherever he's put. Only one interception is what a lot of people tend to focus on but this guy is pretty exciting to watch.

You won't find too many people here who would want him at 16 (including me) but if he is there, Ozzie/Harbs would take him, I think.

9 minutes ago, KentuckyProud said:

I don't see it happening, but I'm nowhere near an expert. Not to make this entire thread about Humphrey, but as I said I think he could transition to safety when Weddle retires if need be pretty well (which Peppers would just be picked up to have a replacement for Weddle at least for now). That gives us a CB now and a safety in the future if our situation flips then. I like Peppers but I don't think he'll be BPA or a big need for such a valuable pick.

Edited by purpletide

6 minutes ago, KentuckyProud said:

Of course we can still take him. I see no problem having 3 safeties who can play at a high level. Peppers can contribute on special teams as well. 

I mean the cardinals (tony Jeffersons old team) used 4 safeties regularly. It would definitely make our defense a lot faster. Peppers can also learn behind weddle while still contributing in some way. 

4 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

Of course we can still take him. I see no problem having 3 safeties who can play at a high level. Peppers can contribute on special teams as well. 

I mean the cardinals (tony Jeffersons old team) used 4 safeties regularly. It would definitely make our defense a lot faster. Peppers can also learn behind weddle while still contributing in some way. 

He's definitely got skills, no doubting that. I guess it really matters whether we go BPA or what we really need, but I look at it as we have O-line (especially after FAs run dry, and talent dwindles in later rounds), WR, edge, and CB to address in the draft. If we do pick him up, I have no doubt he'll be a contributor.

5 minutes ago, purpletide said:

He's definitely got skills, no doubting that. I guess it really matters whether we go BPA or what we really need, but I look at it as we have O-line (especially after FAs run dry, and talent dwindles in later rounds), WR, edge, and CB to address in the draft. If we do pick him up, I have no doubt he'll be a contributor.

Well that's why it all depends how our board looks. I'm sure peppers is up there but I don't think he'll be ahead of guys like Barnett or Corey Davis (their production trumps his) 

In a perfect world the bpa would match a major whole but that doesn't happen too often

5 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Treston Decoud, Oregon State

Late round prospect I'm starting to really like. He oozes confidence and swagger. No one will have to convince him he can play at the NFL level and he'll be confident he can win a job. Trash talker of the highest order but not flashy or a show boater. 

Excellent at breaking on the ball in the air. Good ball skills. Also good at turning his head at the last second to locate and break up the deep ball. Often played on an island with the top WR so isn't afraid of a challenge. 

Great open field tackler. Whether against the run or screens/passes in the flat he closes in a hurry and wraps up. Doesn't look for the highlight reel hit... just gets the ball carrier down. Brings his body through the tackle. 

Looks like he plays best off the ball in zone coverage but does have the footwork and make up speed to play man. 

Was also a leader on his defense which I know we covet. 

I can see him being a contributor as the 3rd/4th CB early on with starter upside. 

Could be a great option late... may even be available in the 6th or as an UDFA. 

Just watched a little bit - thanks for pointing him out - but not enough yet to really pass judgement

my initial impressions are not far different to yours, he's a very technical and effective tackler in the open field, understands zone concepts fairly well and breaks on the ball and breaks up catches consistently albeit I wish he caught a little better once he's done the hard work of finding the football - he's got intriguing size and length (anybody looked up speed?) side note of potential interest he often plays LCB which would translate well if he could win a starting job opposite jimmy who obviously is at his best when he's locking down one side of the field rather than following number 1s

ive never come across his name before but he has some interesting traits that bely where you suggest he'd go in the draft - is that the consensus that he's a definite late-round to undrafted player

as I say though, I need to watch more film to check on his performances in man coverage and just general coverage skills and maybe get a better idea for his play style

1 hour ago, rossihunter2 said:

Just watched a little bit - thanks for pointing him out - but not enough yet to really pass judgement

my initial impressions are not far different to yours, he's a very technical and effective tackler in the open field, understands zone concepts fairly well and breaks on the ball and breaks up catches consistently albeit I wish he caught a little better once he's done the hard work of finding the football - he's got intriguing size and length (anybody looked up speed?) side note of potential interest he often plays LCB which would translate well if he could win a starting job opposite jimmy who obviously is at his best when he's locking down one side of the field rather than following number 1s

ive never come across his name before but he has some interesting traits that bely where you suggest he'd go in the draft - is that the consensus that he's a definite late-round to undrafted player

as I say though, I need to watch more film to check on his performances in man coverage and just general coverage skills and maybe get a better idea for his play style

I honestly had heard nothing about him. 

I typically like to learn about later prospects by doing those automated mocks like fanspeak... and then when on the clock looking at the available prospects in that range and researching those I'm not familiar with. 

According to CBS, NFL Mock, and Fanspeak -- all their big boards had him late. 6th-UDFA. 

Of course that could just be bc of unfamiliarity and therefore assuming he's near the back of the pack. 

But when I started watching his tape I saw a lot to like.... especially if he truly is in that late range. 

15 hours ago, allblackraven said:

Mangold and Ryan Clady that's about it. Mangold would be a definite upgrade over Zuttah but has injury concerns. Good thing about him though is he wouldn't cost us a compensatory pick. Ryan Clady is traditionally an LT but I'm sure he could switch over to replace the void left by Wagner. I'm hoping we come away with atleast one of the two and then draft another O lineman on top of that- maybe even double dip. Then we'll be in good shape. The first 4 picks we have  in the top 3 rounds really need to be :

Pass rusher; Corner ; O-line; WR

And not necessarily in that order.

2 hours ago, January J said:

Mangold and Ryan Clady that's about it. Mangold would be a definite upgrade over Zuttah but has injury concerns. Good thing about him though is he wouldn't cost us a compensatory pick. Ryan Clady is traditionally an LT but I'm sure he could switch over to replace the void left by Wagner. I'm hoping we come away with atleast one of the two and then draft another O lineman on top of that- maybe even double dip. Then we'll be in good shape. The first 4 picks we have  in the top 3 rounds really need to be :

Pass rusher; Corner ; O-line; WR

And not necessarily in that order.

Tim Lelito who plays swing guard, RT, and C.

On 13/03/2017 at 2:27 AM, KentuckyProud said:

He was my favourite 1st rounder but his skillset is just so reminiscent of Jefferson's, the fit isn't great now. I wouldn't bat an eye if we get him though, AZ did play with 3 or 4 safeties on the field.

6 minutes ago, Jacquouille said:

He was my favourite 1st rounder but his skillset is just so reminiscent of Jefferson's, the fit isn't great now. I wouldn't bat an eye if we get him though, AZ did play with 3 or 4 safeties on the field.

Before Webb got cut I would say no there probably was no chance.... But now that Webb is gone, the Ravens could still use Peppers as the #3 safety and have 3 safeties on the field. All built like strong safeties and would be able to drop them into coverage or down into the box and confuse defenses.

Ultimately though, I don't think the Ravens pick him unless he is there at 48, which I highly doubt.

Just now, trevorsteadman said:

Before Webb got cut I would say no there probably was no chance.... But now that Webb is gone, the Ravens could still use Peppers as the #3 safety and have 3 safeties on the field. All built like strong safeties and would be able to drop them into coverage or down into the box and confuse defenses.

Ultimately though, I don't think the Ravens pick him unless he is there at 48, which I highly doubt.

Lol if he's there at 48 I'm taking the first flight and running to the podium to announce his name lmao!

5 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

I think we're still possibly going to resign Webb. I didn't see a timetable given as to when, but it doesn't completely take Peppers out of the equation.

5 minutes ago, Jacquouille said:

Lol if he's there at 48 I'm taking the first flight and running to the podium to announce his name lmao!

Same.. While initially I never thought of there being a chance before, after his measures at the combine I think he scares people. But NFL executives need to learn size isn't everything. 

But it seems like more and more 1st round picks are high potential guys instead of high floor guys... I think that is a reason why there are so many busts in the 1st round. 

I think we're still possibly going to resign Webb. I didn't see a timetable given as to when, but it doesn't completely take Peppers out of the equation.

I agree I really want Webb back. Having 3 top 15 safeties makes me drool. And if Peppers was taken he could be used as a ILB more than SS. He may be small but I think he would be decent in coverage, Mosley basically is a one man running game stopper. Need more of a guy in coverage. I think that is why Orr had such a breakout year.