JoeyFlex5

2017 DB Thread

834 posts in this topic

lets get down to it. im not big on most of the first round cb's, i have a negative bias of bama corners, im not a huge fan of jalen tabor, im up and down on adoree jackson, however, i LOVE desmond king, pretty big fan of tre'davious white, king is a mid first prospect atm and white is late first-early second. IF we land in the top 10, adoree jackson is the only one i would take, i think all of the first round cb's aside from king will end up overdrafted. 

second round, i like sidney jones and quincy wilson, great value picks for both of them. 

as for safeties, i havent looked into malik hooker yet, but as much as i love jabrill peppers i think he represents a lot of what we dont need, we dont need another tweener who is just average in coverage and likely too small to play his college role in the NFL. i see desmond king as a very viable safety, i dont like marcus maye at all. 

proceed...

This was prior to this week's game, BUT... 

Quincy Wilson was targeted 20 times all season and let up only four receptions and had two interceptions. 

He's widely viewed as a top 10 pick at the moment, from what I can tell. 

Also, good chance Sidney Jones goes in the first. Playing excellent football for a top 5 team in the nation on a really good defense. Can't really get much higher than that.

15 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

This was prior to this week's game, BUT... 

Quincy Wilson was targeted 20 times all season and let up only four receptions and had two interceptions. 

Also, good chance Sidney Jones goes in the first. Playing excellent football for a top 5 team in the nation on a really good defense. Can't really get much higher than that.

i havent seen a single source stating quincy wilson was a top 10 prospect nor have i seen anything saying sidney jones was a first rounder

Just now, JoeyFlex5 said:

i havent seen a single source stating quincy wilson was a top 10 prospect nor have i seen anything saying sidney jones was a first rounder

How many sources are you currently looking at like 9 games into the CFB season?

7 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Whatever your sources, they're probably outdated at this point.  As of now, both Wilson and Jones should be 1st round prospects.  Wilson is the best CB on his team and they have Tabor.  Jones' hips are going to have scouts salivating.

2 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

Whatever your sources, they're probably outdated at this point.  As of now, both Wilson and Jones should be 1st round prospects.  Wilson is the best CB on his team and they have Tabor.  Jones' hips are going to have scouts salivating.

This is pretty much everything that I've been reading.

Wilson has been a shutdown corner for the entire season and Jones is probably the most fluid corner in the draft.

2 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Jabrill Peppers doesn't have a single turnover in three seasons... What...

Ya shocking right....you know he has ball skills so it's weird to see he has no picks. Maybe cause he's used around the line of scrimmage so often, he has a ton of tackles for loss

I'm a huge fan of Jamal Adams. He should be a top 10 pick. He can play in the box and has range to be a free safety. Very virsatile player. Good special teams player too

see a lot of talk on Quincy Wilson. I have to say this, if he runs well at the combine which I think he will he will no doubt be a top 15 pick. 6-1 215 running a 4.4 would be a dream for nfl GMs

15 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

I'm a huge fan of Jamal Adams. He should be a top 10 pick. He can play in the box and has range to be a free safety. Very virsatile player. Good special teams player too

see a lot of talk on Quincy Wilson. I have to say this, if he runs well at the combine which I think he will he will no doubt be a top 15 pick. 6-1 215 running a 4.4 would be a dream for nfl GMs

Jamal Adams is, from what I'm seeing, the second best safety behind Peppers, but I'd take Adams first.

5 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Jamal Adams is, from what I'm seeing, the second best safety behind Peppers, but I'd take Adams first.

Ya id take adams too. Hes proven more in coverage than peppers. I dont see peppers as a safety though. Hes a box player who can play slot. At least thats how michigan uses him. Either that or nobody tests peppers deep or in coverage at all lol. 

1 hour ago, ravensnation5220 said:

Ya id take adams too. Hes proven more in coverage than peppers. I dont see peppers as a safety though. Hes a box player who can play slot. At least thats how michigan uses him. Either that or nobody tests peppers deep or in coverage at all lol. 

Yeah, Peppers would be a hybrid player in the NFL. He'd probably play as a small OLB in a 4-3.

8 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Not to say you're wrong or anything, but "widely" is being pretty liberal with the term. I'm following the draft pretty darn closely and I haven't seen anything with him in the top 10 outside of Miller's top 50 - he may very well be there soon enough, but I'm just saying at the moment I'm not seeing him being talked about going that high by most. Usually I've seen him below Humphries and occasionally Tabor and/or Conley leap frogging him, and Adoree Jackson sort of being a wild card.

Edited by hn68wb4

I'm not a big fan of Hooker right now, I think he and Eddie Jackson compare well to each other and you can get Jackson a round or two later and he'd also fix our rotating door at returner.

I'm also a fan of Jamal Adams, I think he and Peppers are the top 2 safeties and really either one could go first.

While I'm on the subject of safeties, Donnie Miles from UNC has started to grow on me a bit

Edited by hn68wb4

@JoeyFlex5 Wilson is considered top15 and Jackson definitely isn't. He's more probably a second rounder. 

I don't see the hype with Hooker. I love Gareon Conley and the other other OSU CB (completely forgot his name sorry), Sidney Jones, Adoree Jackson, Desmond King and Jourdan Lewis. If one of them is there for our second round we probably must jump on him.

Late round gem at safety: Xavier Woods, absolute baller that no one knows. 

Justin evans is flying under the radar. I think hes a top 2 safety in this class with jamal adams. I dont classify peppers as a safety more of a hybrid linebacker. 

8 hours ago, ravensnation5220 said:

His much better fit would probably be a free safety because he's just not fluid in coverage in man situations. Let him play deep, roam, and use his instincts.

2 hours ago, hn68wb4 said:

Not to say you're wrong or anything, but "widely" is being pretty liberal with the term. I'm following the draft pretty darn closely and I haven't seen anything with him in the top 10 outside of Miller's top 50 - he may very well be there soon enough, but I'm just saying at the moment I'm not seeing him being talked about going that high by most. Usually I've seen him below Humphries and occasionally Tabor and/or Conley leap frogging him, and Adoree Jackson sort of being a wild card.

I say widely because that's apparently what scouts are telling Miller, so in the NFL world, the kid is getting a lot of love.

2 hours ago, Jacquouille said:

@JoeyFlex5 Wilson is considered top15 and Jackson definitely isn't. He's more probably a second rounder. 

I don't see the hype with Hooker. I love Gareon Conley and the other other OSU CB (completely forgot his name sorry), Sidney Jones, Adoree Jackson, Desmond King and Jourdan Lewis. If one of them is there for our second round we probably must jump on him.

Late round gem at safety: Xavier Woods, absolute baller that no one knows. 

I think Jourdan Lewis would be the most likely second round pick for the Ravens if they didn't pursue a corner first.

11 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I think Jourdan Lewis would be the most likely second round pick for the Ravens if they didn't pursue a corner first.

I hope so, if for nothing else to see certain individuals on this forum have their head explode because we took a CB under 6' - "height is the only thing that matters!!! we are terrible because we don't have enough tall CBs!!!"

1 hour ago, hn68wb4 said:

I hope so, if for nothing else to see certain individuals on this forum have their head explode because we took a CB under 6' - "height is the only thing that matters!!! we are terrible because we don't have enough tall CBs!!!"

I didn't even realize he was a short corner. He just knows how to play 

I like Malik Hooker as a 1st round FS and Fish Smithson as a 2nd-3rd rd FS. The Ravens need a young FS that can not only take away deep shots from other teams but also makes them pay for pushing the ball down field with ints. Both guys can cover well and tackle well. Two things the Ravens defense definitely need. 

Our secondary is playing great, but we definitely need to take advantage of this class. Even with some guys returning to school it should be a stacked CB and S class, which is rare for both. This defensive class in general could be 2011-esque. 

Young looking great on the outside is huge, but we need to continue to add young quality depth at corner. Webb is probably gone after the season too and we could use some more speed there.

4 hours ago, Cillmatic said:

Really think WR, OLB and O-line are bigger first round needs than CB 

Could agree, but BPA should be our focus. Although I do agree I find more value in the second round DBs.

4 hours ago, Cillmatic said:

The CB depth is abysmal, and although it may not be an immediate need, you're going to need a guy for the future at some point.  It's definitely fallen down a rung with Young's emergence, but CB should absolutely still be considered a need, with the propensity to need development at CB in a significant number of cases.

I still think CB is an option in the first. Yeah Tavon played great yesterday but it was against a clearly not 100% Roethisberger and how quickly we forget that he was abused against the Giants. He's a great slot guy and is a fantastic piece going forward but we need guys who can play consistently on the outside opposite Jimmy, and we need depth as well. This is such a deep class that we'd still be fools to let it pass us by the first couple rounds.

8 hours ago, Cillmatic said:

I can agree that CB isn't our biggest need but looking at that list - depending on where we pick of course, but let's assume 10-20 - no olinemen are currently worth going that high, and the WR class is a wild card that high, Williams is the only one likely to go that high. And as far as OLB goes, if Garrett, Allen, and Tim Williams are gone (they will be most likely) then the only guy I'd consider is Barnett and that'd depend on whether we're going 10-15 or 15-20. I think whether we're taking a CB in the first depends heavily on who's available obviously, I definitely think CB is still both a need and a possibility in the first.

4 hours ago, Jacquouille said:

Could agree, but BPA should be our focus. Although I do agree I find more value in the second round DBs.

With the way this class is shaping up, I can only see a first round DB or OLB, to be honest.