• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
tubes102

Ravens to visit London 2017? Yes, Week 3

149 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, JO_75 said:

So nice of you two to buy everyone tickets and booking the travel of all of us on the forum. ?

You got all that from those few posts?

I don't mind us playing a game as visitors in London. I just wouldn't want the traditional early bye for teams that have played there have been required to take. It sure makes for a long second half of the season, especially if we are fortunate enough to make the playoffs.

The Colts are the first team to request not having an early bye this season. They came back and faced the Bears the following week and were able to win. Should we be selected, I would hope the Ravens consider requesting the same.

Report just came out saying that the NFL is ending the early morning football games in London. That was the ONLY good thing about playing in London. I hope we don't have to go there now.

5 hours ago, Cillmatic said:

Report just came out saying that the NFL is ending the early morning football games in London. That was the ONLY good thing about playing in London. I hope we don't have to go there now.

It wasn't working out for TV though.  9:30am was fine for the east coast crowd, but those on the west coast had football on at 6:30am and ratings were awful.

Edited by rmw10

1 minute ago, rmw10 said:

It wasn't working out for TV though.  9:30am was fine for the east coast crowd, but those on the west coast had football on at 6:30am and rating were awful.

Someone knows the pain like I do haha

Just now, trevorsteadman said:

Someone knows the pain like I do haha

Haha well I'm an east coast guy so no issues on my end, but I know some people over on the west coast and they never watched those games because it was 6:30 on a Sunday and who is up at that time?

1 hour ago, rmw10 said:

Haha well I'm an east coast guy so no issues on my end, but I know some people over on the west coast and they never watched those games because it was 6:30 on a Sunday and who is up at that time?

Yeah at least you know though haha.. Being a fan from Utah I'm not waking up at 7:30 unless the Ravens did play but I would rather sleep in till 11 :P

3 hours ago, Cillmatic said:

But I'm gonna miss watching 4 NFL games in a row :mellow:

my two cents:

as a raven from the uk there does seem to be a surprisingly large following here in the uk and i assume that as a team that isn't particularly accessible to overseas fans that this game could end up full of ravens fans which would obviously be great if the ravens could take over what is ostensibly a home game for the jags (if we do go next year)

the 9:30 thing is weird that they would go away from it because the reason they moved away from playing at 1 is all about making the games better and also makes the london game more of an event back in the US - it gets its own tv spot rather than competing with all the other 1pm games

and in terms of stadiums if the nfl has a choice id suggest to them quite strongly to go to twickenham more than once vs wembley just because of the different cultures around the sports those two stadiums host and the way noise is generated - wembley is enormous but is a soccer stadium which inherently is segregated and the fans are miles away from the field - historically watching england soccer games there is uninspiring as the atmosphere is normally hideous despite the enormous numbers of people in the stadium - it is a stadium not that conducive to great atmospheres whereas on the other hand twickenham is a stadium built for rugby, a game with not completely dissimilar rules to american football and with similar values including a mostly fan friendly environment, respect, and noise lots of it.

On 11/29/2016 at 6:37 PM, arnie_uk said:

It will be nice not to have to spend a small fortune this time to see the ravens.

Honestly, I feel bad for you to an extent because you always get the short straw.  You have to stay up very late or wake up very early, and yet you remain a Ravens fan.  I am sure that sucks even more when we lose.  I commend you for your love of the team.  I really have to say that you deserve props there, so I have no problem with you getting a game there.  I'm sure that would be awesome for you and, as you said, you don't have to spend an absurd amount of money, either.

13 hours ago, Tru11 said:

if ravens come i will be in the stadium in 1 or the other way.

Get a whole bunch of friends. We need Ravens fans in that stadium.

On 11/29/2016 at 5:55 PM, JO_75 said:

Apparently, the NFL will ditch the early 9:30am London games so if the Ravens do play the Jaguars next year in London, it won't be an early morning game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/29/report-nfl-will-ditch-early-morning-london-games/

Kinda neat though that the Ravens get to go London next year if this does end up happening.

Well, there goes the one reason I was looking forward to a London game. No offense to our U.K. brethren, but the travel can't help the teams. 

I understand the rationale concerning ditching the 9:30 start, but can't think of a slot it would do better.  Unless maybe they are thinking Saturday afternoon, but that would bump against NCAA games. Wouldn't think it could be any later than 3:30.

Edited by Tank 92

5 hours ago, Marcus_Aurelius said:

Definately agree with rossihunter2, all points are valid and Twickenham would be absolutely awesome. 

13 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

my two cents:

as a raven from the uk there does seem to be a surprisingly large following here in the uk and i assume that as a team that isn't particularly accessible to overseas fans that this game could end up full of ravens fans which would obviously be great if the ravens could take over what is ostensibly a home game for the jags (if we do go next year)

the 9:30 thing is weird that they would go away from it because the reason they moved away from playing at 1 is all about making the games better and also makes the london game more of an event back in the US - it gets its own tv spot rather than competing with all the other 1pm games

and in terms of stadiums if the nfl has a choice id suggest to them quite strongly to go to twickenham more than once vs wembley just because of the different cultures around the sports those two stadiums host and the way noise is generated - wembley is enormous but is a soccer stadium which inherently is segregated and the fans are miles away from the field - historically watching england soccer games there is uninspiring as the atmosphere is normally hideous despite the enormous numbers of people in the stadium - it is a stadium not that conducive to great atmospheres whereas on the other hand twickenham is a stadium built for rugby, a game with not completely dissimilar rules to american football and with similar values including a mostly fan friendly environment, respect, and noise lots of it.

Not too sure that the atmospheres are that different tbh. I've been to Wembley 3 times for footie and my team has whipped up an awesome atmosphere (Crystal Palace - Playoff Final and the Semi and Final of the FA cup last season. I've sat in all 3 tiers at Wembley and only the upper tier feels too far away and is lacking in atmosphere; the lower bowl is fantastic though. Obviously England games are going to have a terrible atmosphere as we haven't exactly been given anything to write home about and also the teams we've faced in qualifying have been terrible. I've been to Twickenham too to watch England rugby Internationals and there are LONG periods of near silence. Lastly I've gone to two NFL games at Wembley and the atmosphere has been terrible not because of the Stadium but just because of the fans; there are fans from every team there so usually never get a great atmosphere as most of the crowd doesn't care if the Jags etc score (I didn't); I hate to say it but the Squeelers had a massive following inside Wembley for their game and the atmosphere was good.

If it is the Ravens that are coming to London then I can't wait, we seem to have a sneaky big following over here and Wembley will definitely be purple that day. However everything just points to the NFL going with the Seahawks - they fulfil the same criteria that the Ravens do i.e. never played in London PLUS, and this is the tipping point, they're scrapping the 1pm UK time slot so Pacific coast teams fans have a friendlier viewing time back in the States. 

Will Gavin of Gridiron magazine has basically confirmed this on twitter yesterday. 

For a team that gets very little media coverage here the Ravens have a large and loyal fan base and everyone is very excited by the prospect.

The atmosphere at Wembley games hasn't been great when the Jags have played because well, they are the Jags! Games tend to be done by the 3rd or 4th quarter and not much for the crowd of mainly neutrals to get excited by.

Twickenham will struggle to host a 6pm (UK time) kick off as it's in the middle of a residential area. England rugby games all kick off early as the lights are only used a certain amount of times a year and public transport tends to shut down. 

I run a twitter account for fans and have already spoken to NFL UK about getting a block booking of tickets to sit with any Ravens fans travelling over for the game, would be great to all be in together and make plenty of noise. 

I can't remember the last time I watched a London game. I live in California and I'm usually dead asleep, recovering from sort of substance and 9am is the earliest I wake up to see my Ravens, but I'm going to London if they do indeed play there next season!!! 

10000 is utter horse poo, a round trip fair from any major eastcoast airport to Heathrow is under 800 bucks, London is full of excellent hotels on the cheap, he'll you can even stay out of London and catch a train into London for the game, for an entire week including plane and game tickets you can easily do for under 2500 bucks with out being a cheapskate

15 hours ago, PurpleLDN said:

Not too sure that the atmospheres are that different tbh. I've been to Wembley 3 times for footie and my team has whipped up an awesome atmosphere (Crystal Palace - Playoff Final and the Semi and Final of the FA cup last season. I've sat in all 3 tiers at Wembley and only the upper tier feels too far away and is lacking in atmosphere; the lower bowl is fantastic though. Obviously England games are going to have a terrible atmosphere as we haven't exactly been given anything to write home about and also the teams we've faced in qualifying have been terrible. I've been to Twickenham too to watch England rugby Internationals and there are LONG periods of near silence. Lastly I've gone to two NFL games at Wembley and the atmosphere has been terrible not because of the Stadium but just because of the fans; there are fans from every team there so usually never get a great atmosphere as most of the crowd doesn't care if the Jags etc score (I didn't); I hate to say it but the Squeelers had a massive following inside Wembley for their game and the atmosphere was good.

im not saying it definitively but i was talking more about acoustics of the stadium build having an impact because obviously the fans will be the same in either london stadium (because what's a small trip across london for a game that is only ever played overseas)

4 hours ago, kiwi_raven said:

10000 is utter horse poo, a round trip fair from any major eastcoast airport to Heathrow is under 800 bucks, London is full of excellent hotels on the cheap, he'll you can even stay out of London and catch a train into London for the game, for an entire week including plane and game tickets you can easily do for under 2500 bucks with out being a cheapskate

im pretty sure airbnb normally has loads of rooms in big cities all over the uk as well

11 hours ago, tubes102 said:

Twickenham will struggle to host a 6pm (UK time) kick off as it's in the middle of a residential area. England rugby games all kick off early as the lights are only used a certain amount of times a year and public transport tends to shut down. 

I run a twitter account for fans and have already spoken to NFL UK about getting a block booking of tickets to sit with any Ravens fans travelling over for the game, would be great to all be in together and make plenty of noise. 

i cant see how the nfl wouldnt want to go back to twickenham though given how successful it was this year and how well the nfl media seemed to react to the game there - hopefully this means that the game is an early one - being honest it doesnt make much sense for the game not to be earlier because then itll just get swamped in the multitude of other games playing at the same time - there's no event of the london game outside of the one city which goes against goodell's whole expansion idea...

Just now seen the announcement that London will host four international series games in 2017.

Saints and Dolphins is confirmed already, the other three games are set to be announced next Tuesday at 1pm GMT 

Really hope it's ravens vs Jaguars, I live in Denmark. My brother is jags fan and of course i'm ravens fan,

ones in a lifetime experiences :)

Should play at Twickenham Stadium though, not Wembley.  Much better for spectators, closer to pitch, steeper stands, plus fits in with Rugby traditions also. 

10 minutes ago, Marcus_Aurelius said:

Should play at Twickenham Stadium though, not Wembley.  Much better for spectators, closer to pitch, steeper stands, plus fits in with Rugby traditions also. 

Wembley seats 8,000 more people. That's why its played there.

4 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Wembley seats 8,000 more people. That's why its played there.

they played once at twickenham this year and it seemed to be deemed a success - it will all come down to scheduling clashes of course but i imagine there will be at least one game at twickenham next year