Cillmatic

2017 WR prospect thread

507 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Say what?? Davis can win on multiple platforms that include every level. He runs sudden routes for early separation if needed. He can separate intermediate level and make a play on the ball if needed. And he has shown breakaway speed after the catch. He has speed to get deep and make plays on the ball if necessary. At 6'3 1/2 216lbs he runs sharp sudden routes like a 6'0 195lb receiver.

He is similar to Amari Cooper in precision. And can be a contested ball winner if necessary. He hasn't the amount of contested catches of mike Williams because he doesn't need to very often. He gets separation with suddenness and precision. He looked like a college boy playing with Highschool kids. He should be the No.2 catcher off the board behind Howard. We better find a legit young receiver/TE. Wallace is 31 and not known for precision to extend his production into his 30's.

And last couple drafts has sent bigger faster corn. erbacks and cover safety's. And this could be the best draft ever for the cornerback position. Multiple Top end No.2 and even NO.1 cornerbacks are going to come out of round3 and round4 in this draft. So the bar is being raised for receivers and TE's. Not to mention the NFL is moving toward smaller coverage linebackers and even big safety's being converted to linebackers that can cover Zones that receivers normally don't have to account for. 

I took some heat for throwing out the idea of trading our round1 pick for a tackle/guard I believe will be a top5 offensive lineman in the league. The most effective way to counter the better coverage is a dominating offensive line. Allowing the receivers backs and TE's to uncover. To spring the run game and make defenses respect it. Which will help the players doing the catching to have space to get open. I'm not saying we should trade that pick for an offensive lineman because of this being a weak draft for that position. But I do think it is important to place priority on the offensive line. And not only serviceable offensive lineman, but dominant offensive lineman that will allow run game,WR's TE's and receiving backs to do their best stuff.

His ability to get open deep is not on the same level as Mike Williams or John Ross. He's far better as an intermediate threat than a deep threat, and at the NFL level I don't see Davis outrunning DBs to the endzone. He'll get yards after the catch, but he isn't going to leave some safety in his dust. His style of play is much closer to someone like Eric Decker or even Boldin rather than Amari Cooper.

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

Corey Davis is my favorite receiver in the draft. Puzzling that DeCosta downplayed his selection a little.

If I'm guessing it's a pretty transparent omission.

Could be a smoke screen...

Or could very well be they dont see the traits actually transferring to a higher level of competition.

His refusal to run has always scared me. Anything in the 4.5-6 range would simply solidify his spot. Anything higher and he might leap Williams.

3 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Or could very well be they dont see the traits actually transferring to a higher level of competition.

His refusal to run has always scared me. Anything in the 4.5-6 range would simply solidify his spot. Anything higher and he might leap Williams.

i still dont understand the not running thing because he had an injury - why would he run if he's not fully fit yet or if there's potential to reaggravate?

6 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

i still dont understand the not running thing because he had an injury - why would he run if he's not fully fit yet or if there's potential to reaggravate?

The surgery was completed in January... i guess the timing of saying he wouldnt work out is what worries me. 

I guess it could be Perriman syndrome where 4 months after some minor ligament surgery you still cant move. But thats a concern in its own right.

1 minute ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

The surgery was completed in January... i guess the timing of saying he wouldnt work out is what worries me. 

I guess it could be Perriman syndrome where 4 months after some minor ligament surgery you still cant move. But thats a concern in its own right.

i guess maybe rather than saying why would he run i would say why should he run? he's pretty obviously one of the top 3 receivers, still got to interview with all the teams and maybe after the combine worked out that his stock was good enough so he decided he didnt need to run in order to cement himself in the top 20 considering that his range at that point was probably between 9 and 18 and it still probably is

1 hour ago, RaineV1 said:

His ability to get open deep is not on the same level as Mike Williams or John Ross. He's far better as an intermediate threat than a deep threat, and at the NFL level I don't see Davis outrunning DBs to the endzone. He'll get yards after the catch, but he isn't going to leave some safety in his dust. His style of play is much closer to someone like Eric Decker or even Boldin rather than Amari Cooper.

Eric Decker always faster than credited for. Better separation and contested catches than credited for sure. Shannon Sharp several yrs ago showed him inside the red zone creating separation at an elite level exploding out of breaks and making tough catches. Amari Cooper is more of a precision intermediate receiver than his rep implies. Davis shows breakaway speed on many occasions. It may be the mac but cornerbacks are running 4.5 range at least. And yet he pulls away.

The bar is being raised for WRs to compete. There are several cornerbacks safety's in this class that 10 yrs ago would be WR's. But NFL calls for defensive backs that can compete. The linebackers are faster and better equipped to guard TE's and running backs. Leaving the defensive backs to take out WR's. If our offense was struggling before. It is not getting any easier for the offense. Not to mention the edge rushers coming into the league. Would be cool for ravens to pick up one of an offensive lineman/WR as camp cut/trade. Then have a really good draft. Hit on a standout offensive lineman and WR/TE. Chiefs have a lot of young skill at WR. Maclin could be cut/traded. Only 28 and productive could increase with stronger armed better QB like Joe

Edited by PurpleHorseman

27 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

He looks at least that fast to me. It wouldn't surprise me to see him run 4.4

Could be a blessing so far as the ravens are concerned...the fact that he's unable to run.

1 hour ago, rossihunter2 said:

i guess maybe rather than saying why would he run i would say why should he run? he's pretty obviously one of the top 3 receivers, still got to interview with all the teams and maybe after the combine worked out that his stock was good enough so he decided he didnt need to run in order to cement himself in the top 20 considering that his range at that point was probably between 9 and 18 and it still probably is

Youre right. It would have the potential to really hurt him, and the potential positives are limited. Maybe move him a cpl spots up at best, and probably not even that.

Im just putting myself in the shoes of a team who has concerns about level of competition and whether or not the perceived play speed translates or is it trumped up in comparison to less athletic players..... maybe being a bit unnerved without the ability to test him.

1 hour ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Youre right. It would have the potential to really hurt him, and the potential positives are limited. Maybe move him a cpl spots up at best, and probably not even that.

Im just putting myself in the shoes of a team who has concerns about level of competition and whether or not the perceived play speed translates or is it trumped up in comparison to less athletic players..... maybe being a bit unnerved without the ability to test him.

Its the same way that mike Williams had no interest in running at the combine because he wasn't sure he'd run as fast as he'd like (but he trained especially for it at his pro-day) - as a team I'd want him to have run to see what his play speed would have been but it's not in his interest to because he doesn't gain much by running well but could lose a ton if he was too slow

39 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

Does anyone here see zay jones or juju as realistic options at 47?

i think there's a chance either of them or both of them could make it - im personally not sure id value zay jones enough that he'd be BPA for me at that spot but juju certainly would be under strong consideration for me at 47 - as a reference frame for what i mean, i have juju 36th on my board and zay jones 46th

14 hours ago, ravensnation5220 said:

Does anyone here see zay jones or juju as realistic options at 47?

Zay Jones will be a star in the NFL so I hope so. But I think he is taken early second before our pick.

Not sure if people have already brought this guy into the conversation or not, and I don't want to go back through all 17 pages, but what is the consensus on Ardarius Stewart from Alabama? Seems like he has solid hands and pretty good speed. I see him as a middle round pick. Is he a person you think could make this team better?

6 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

Not sure if people have already brought this guy into the conversation or not, and I don't want to go back through all 17 pages, but what is the consensus on Ardarius Stewart from Alabama? Seems like he has solid hands and pretty good speed. I see him as a middle round pick. Is he a person you think could make this team better?

I like him a lot. I really love his toughness. He blocks really well and is physical after the catch, hes also made a lot of big plays for Bama when they needed them

1 hour ago, trevorsteadman said:

I like him. Really tough runner after the catch. I dont see him becoming a star or anything like that... but i can see him having a longer career as a solid #2 option.

Am I the only one that thinks he runs really weird? Cant put my finger on what it is, but it just looks awkward to me.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

#WMU WR Corey Davis has a visit scheduled today & tomorrow with the #Titans, who have 2 first rd picks. He's got #Ravens tomorrow & Tuesday

7:28 AM · Apr 16, 2017

This could just as well be posted in, " under the radar" or, "bold predictions".

JORDAN WESTERKAMP, WR, NEBRASKA

Impressive prospect at six foot, one ninety.

Exceptional hands, highly competitive and skilled route runner. Shows ability to get off press with hands and with quickness.

Fearless over the middle...catches everything. Competes for and wins in jump ball situations. High points football. Tough.

Coming off meniscus tear in December and has not worked out for teams.

Could go undrafted as a result but strikes me as a player who will be very productive, primarily as a possession/slot receiver, though I believe he can be successful part time on the outside.

Very surprised to not hear his name. I have a 3- 4th round grade on him but am thinking he could be viewed as a guy who can be had later.

6 minutes ago, Edgar said:

This could just as well be posted in, " under the radar" or, "bold predictions".

JORDAN WESTERKAMP, WR, NEBRASKA

Impressive prospect at six foot, one ninety.

Exceptional hands, highly competitive and skilled route runner. Shows ability to get off press with hands and with quickness.

Fearless over the middle...catches everything. Competes for and wins in jump ball situations. High points football. Tough.

Coming off meniscus tear in December and has not worked out for teams.

Could go undrafted as a result but strikes me as a player who will be very productive, primarily as a possession/slot receiver, though I believe he can be successful part time on the outside.

Very surprised to not hear his name. I have a 3- 4th round grade on him but am thinking he could be viewed as a guy who can be had later.

Maybe in the 6th if we haven't drafted a receiver yet but I do believe he is underrated and could be sneeky good.

On 4/11/2017 at 11:17 AM, RaineV1 said:

Chad Johnson 

thats my comp for Davis and I stand by it. 

Dont think he'll be as great as chad was for a stretch, but his play is reminiscent

13 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Chad Johnson 

thats my comp for Davis and I stand by it. 

Dont think he'll be as great as chad was for a stretch, but his play is reminiscent

Corey Davis is my favorite WR in the draft and would like him at 16. But in what way do you compare him to  Chad Johnson?? I compare him to WRs like Amari Cooper, bigger Jeremy Maclin and even Terrell Owens with how he can win with route separation/size/run after the catch elusiveness for a big WR.

Edited by PurpleHorseman

48 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Corey Davis is my favorite WR in the draft and would like him at 16. But in what way do you compare him to  Chad Johnson?? I compare him to WRs like Amari Cooper, bigger Jeremy Maclin and even Terrell Owens with how he can win with route separation/size/run after the catch elusiveness for a big WR.

Chad Johnson was a very good athlete, not an elite one though, had good size,  not great size though, and in his time he was unquestionably one of the best route runners in the league gaining separation at all levels with smooth and sharp routes, and won a lot of intermediate stuff with a blend of sharp cuts and quick acceleration, does alright with contested catches on occasion but doesn't shine in that regard. 

I'm not ready to call Davis a TO lookalike(/although I understand the comp) because you're talking about the 2nd most productive receiver of all time, too much lol. He had a ton of manufactured production against inferior competition where things like missed tackles happen A LOT more often, and a lot of his bubble screens were poorly defended in general with him having way more space than he should and getting open fields by default, so I won't put his YAC ability on that level yet. 

John Ross should have had 25+ touchdowns last year. 

His qb Browning did him no service what so ever. He did make the 15-25 yard throws right on the money but underthrew him countless times on deep balls.....it is obsurd how bad it was at times. 

Its not only that, hes missed his read a ton of times as well where Ross was wide open on seam routes and crossing routes. 

Another note after watching the tape Ross seems to have very solid hands. Not too many drops what so ever and bailed out his qb a bunch as well. Hes a better blocker than one would think. Hes more than willing and sometimes thats all you can ask for 

4 hours ago, ravensnation5220 said:

John Ross should have had 25+ touchdowns last year. 

His qb Browning did him no service what so ever. He did make the 15-25 yard throws right on the money but underthrew him countless times on deep balls.....it is obsurd how bad it was at times. 

Its not only that, hes missed his read a ton of times as well where Ross was wide open on seam routes and crossing routes. 

Another note after watching the tape Ross seems to have very solid hands. Not too many drops what so ever and bailed out his qb a bunch as well. Hes a better blocker than one would think. Hes more than willing and sometimes thats all you can ask for 

Without the injury history hed be the first wide receiver off the board I think 

2 minutes ago, arnie_uk said:

Without the injury history hed be the first wide receiver off the board I think 

The weird thing about guys with injury history in college is some guys end up becomming extremely reliable and never seem to get hurt in the pros and the ones who stay healthy end up being injury prone in the NFL. Its not always like that but it does happen

Just got done watching Kenny Golladay and he's pretty impressive. 

Makes circus catches look easy. 

Has height and length and looks to have decent speed. Def needs to become a better route runner and add some bulk to his frame... but I'd love this kid in the late rounds or as an UDFA. 

There is a forgotten WR nobody talks about after his 4.7540. I know I make jokes about how slow  Darreus Rogers is. I guessed he would run 4.7 range and he was worse. I know he isn't the No.1 we need. But he plays faster than his computer numbers. He is fluid and fast in and out of breaks. He has huge hands and can make all the contested catches. Maybe he is a no.3 wr. But he is going to be s chain mover. In the late 90s there was a receiver that ran a terrible 40. He was same size as Rogers. Orande Gadsden made tough catches and was a very solid WR. He didn't even have any speed on the team to open things up.

Rogers is going to be a late round steal for somebody. I knew he was slow and didn't want him over JuJu. But I always felt he would be productive.  While most soured on him I like him in mid/late rounds. He creates late separation. In a legit offense he will be a 60-90 catch 700-1000 yards and a red zone scorer. Forget even his 10 yard split. His first several steps in his breaks  creates separation. He plays at full speed and knows how to get to the football when he doesn't create separation. He has a big arsenal. When he gets to rookie camp his team is going to realize really fast it has a player   Makes plays.