JO_75

The NFL Ratings Decline Problem

120 posts in this topic

Packers-Cowboys draw highest Divisional Round Rating in 20 years. The overnight rating came in at 28.2 in which let me put that in perspective. It beat Game 7 of the World Series(25.2 Rating) and the NBA Finals(18.9 Rating) in ratings. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/16/packers-cowboys-draws-highest-divisional-round-rating-in-20-years/

1 hour ago, JO_75 said:

Packers-Cowboys draw highest Divisional Round Rating in 20 years. The overnight rating came in at 28.2 in which let me put that in perspective. It beat Game 7 of the World Series(25.2 Rating) and the NBA Finals(18.9 Rating) in ratings. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/16/packers-cowboys-draws-highest-divisional-round-rating-in-20-years/

Despite the lower ratings in general, rivalry games and high stakes games between popular teams still did great (like the Ravens vs Steelers game near the end of the year). The NFL just needs to do a better job of making sure those games end up in prime time.

2 hours ago, JO_75 said:

Show good games and the fans will watch.  

5 hours ago, Moderator 3 said:

Show good games and the fans will watch.  

For then most part, TNF and MNF are awful games.

Are too many commercial breaks really behind the NFL's declining ratings?

It’s really, really rare for an NFL owner to suggest he and his brethren accept less money for the good of the league.

So we at least have to take Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti’s suggestion seriously.

Bisciotti said that the NFL has too many commercial breaks, and that’s what has been affecting NFL ratings.

“It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that nobody wants to see two minutes of commercials, come back, kick the ball and then go to a minute-and-a-half of commercials,” Bisciotti told the Ravens’ website. “I’ve thought that was absurd since I was 20 years old.”

Then Bisciotti answered the obvious follow-up question: If you cut down on commercials, doesn’t that mean less income for the NFL? Bisciotti acknowledged it would cut into the NFL’s bottom line, and he’s fine with that.

“We’ve got to figure that out,” Bisciotti told the Ravens’ site. “Again, if you change that, it could mean a reduction in income, but that’s going to hit the players more significantly than it’s going to hit the owners. I still don’t know any owner that’s in this business because of the money.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/are-too-many-commercial-breaks-really-behind-the-nfls-declining-ratings-175654907.html

See i told why ratings are declining,, Im not allowed to discuss the business of television here its against the rules. But i can say its not about Kappernick sitting down during the National Anthem.  

I don't think for a second commercials are the reason someone won't tune into an entire game. 

Who said you aren't allowed to talk about the business of TV? I started a thread about the demise of ESPN where it discusses all of this.   My belief was the election,  not Kap.   I really don't get what your talking about. 

Quality of games seemed pretty bad to me as well, not too many Thursday, Monday,  or Sunday night games I was this excited for.  

1 hour ago, usmccharles said:

I don't think for a second commercials are the reason someone won't tune into an entire game. 

Who said you aren't allowed to talk about the business of TV? I started a thread about the demise of ESPN where it discusses all of this.   My belief was the election,  not Kap.   I really don't get what your talking about. 

Quality of games seemed pretty bad to me as well, not too many Thursday, Monday,  or Sunday night games I was this excited for.  

Said the same.  TNF is an awful product majority of each time and the MNF game match ups seem to be declining.  Add in the all around quality of early NFL games being bad with lack of practice and it's easy to understand.  

I'm also sick of SNF basically being Cowboys vs whoever on primetime...

2 hours ago, usmccharles said:

They make other team's games very hard to watch for me. It's like touchdown-commercial-extra point-commercial-kick off-commercial. It's incredibly annoying and makes me honestly lose interest.

Just now, BmoreBird22 said:

They make other team's games very hard to watch for me. It's like touchdown-commercial-extra point-commercial-kick off-commercial. It's incredibly annoying and makes me honestly lose interest.

See, this is where i think the issue lies.

I dont think the NFLs popularity has diminished at all -- i think people are still watching their team just as much if not more than ever. But i think the neutral, national audiences are tuning out a bit... because of a mixture of things.

I agree here when watching other teams the commercials drive me nuts. During our games i dont mind bc it gives me a minute to let my heart rate cool down. But combine those commercials, along with the other posters point of not many true marquee type match ups in prime time games this year, along with more accessible alternatives (streaming) and there you go.

The commercials are annoying but ill still tune in for a great game. If its not a great game, forget about it ill catch it on red zone; flip between streams, or just catch the highlights.

3 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Exactly. They should focus on the whole NFL fanbase rather than the two teams' fanbases playing that game. That will go a long way.

3 hours ago, usmccharles said:

Mods warned me about certain things not to bring up on this forum. I gotta becareful here. 

Why not the NFL bring up a TV timeout just like in College Basketball. The NFL tells you when you can put commercial on not CBS or FOX. Just like the NCAA tells you when you can go on a commercial break. Not when the networks feel like it.  

2 minutes ago, Steve0x said:

Mods warned me about certain things not to bring up on this forum. I gotta becareful here. 

No need for the persecution complex ... this is a Non-Ravens talk thread and the topic is NFL ratings decline, which by definition is the business of television. 

Please, feel free to comment on that topic here ;) 

4 hours ago, usmccharles said:

I've actually turned off several games this season because of the ad breaks. I don't do it for Ravens games (though I've missed big chunks because I've tuned out during the ad breaks and just haven't bothered tuning back in) and the games being terribad is just as much a factor, but as others said the sequence of TD-break-kickoff-break-three and out-break gets pretty stale for me - especially when half the adverts are so bad that I take out my headphones when they start up (several involving a certain former QB) and the same ads get played for literally months at a time.

Honestly it's left me feeling kinda disillusioned about the NFL this season, to the point where I haven't even followed the draft stuff this year simply because it's not as fun for me as it was.

Heres another idea,,Why not do it like the NHL does it? Ever watched a hockey game on TV? Right around when a player shots the puck other side of rink its called icing. Then TV goes on a break just for 30 seconds til the face off. Why not when theres a change of possession after a field goal or a TD then you can only take a 30 second time out and then back on air when kickoff begins. 

20 hours ago, Inqui said:

I've actually turned off several games this season because of the ad breaks. I don't do it for Ravens games (though I've missed big chunks because I've tuned out during the ad breaks and just haven't bothered tuning back in) and the games being terribad is just as much a factor, but as others said the sequence of TD-break-kickoff-break-three and out-break gets pretty stale for me - especially when half the adverts are so bad that I take out my headphones when they start up (several involving a certain former QB) and the same ads get played for literally months at a time.

Honestly it's left me feeling kinda disillusioned about the NFL this season, to the point where I haven't even followed the draft stuff this year simply because it's not as fun for me as it was.

I guess im just different, I wont turn off a game because of commercials, I will just use that time to get another beer or something.  If im set on watching a game im going to watch the game, its just the quality of games to me have actually sucked this year.  I mean, didn't we start of the first MNF game with Rams and 49ers?  Seriously.   

I've never laughed this hard in a long time.... actual quote from Roger Goodell. 

“We’re more than just optics here. We’re into facts,” Goodell said. “Go to the same statistics, because you’re right about the quality of the games on Thursday night. There are actually less penalties, less turnovers. Almost by every barometer the quality of the games is better on Thursday night. Obviously, some games you’re going to have aren’t going to be as competitive, they will have a dominance. You get that.”

This comment on the PFT Article sums it up:

I love how out of touch the NFL is with it’s fan base.

Fan: The officiating is awful
NFL: No it isn’t

Fans: That’s a catch
NFL: No it isn’t

Fans: Thursday night games suck
NFL: No they don’t

Fans: Quality of game is down… and the NFL treats their fans like morons
NFL: That’s because we are smarter than you.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/25/roger-goodell-the-quality-of-games-is-better-on-thursday-nights/

Well, the fans do tune into those Thursday games when they actually matter. The Ravens vs Steelers TNF game got good numbers. Same for the Harbaugh bowl when the Ravens and 49ers played against each other. That said, there is certainly such a thing as over saturating the market. Keep the opening game a TNF match, and sprinkle some in during the second half of the year where all the TNF games actually matter. And have the Ravens play a couple TNF games each year since apparently Ravens equals ratings for TNF. Just make the second Ravens Steelers game a TNF each season and they'll get solid ratings every time.

What a way to end the season on a low note for the ratings. Struggling with ratings most of the year, the NFL's biggest game of the year saw a decline over last year's game. Super Bowl 51 had an overnight rating of 48.8, down slightly from Super Bowl 50's rating of 49.0. It also was a decline from the Patriots win over Seattle in Super Bowl 49 which drew a 49.7 rating. So a three year decline in the Super Bowl ratings currently. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/06/overnight-ratings-for-super-bowl-li-down-slightly/

4 minutes ago, JO_75 said:

What a way to end the season on a low note for the ratings. Struggling with ratings most of the year, the NFL's biggest game of the year saw a decline over last year's game. Super Bowl 51 had an overnight rating of 48.8, down slightly from Super Bowl 50's rating of 49.0. It also was a decline from the Patriots win over Seattle in Super Bowl 49 which drew a 49.7 rating. So a three year decline in the Super Bowl ratings currently. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/06/overnight-ratings-for-super-bowl-li-down-slightly/

if the Falcons didn't choke in the second half, the rating should top 49.7; most fans turned off the TV when Matty Ice took the sack and lost the most important FG attempt....

1 hour ago, AsianRice said:

if the Falcons didn't choke in the second half, the rating should top 49.7; most fans turned off the TV when Matty Ice took the sack and lost the most important FG attempt....

Believe it or not a lot of people tuned out at halftime.

1 hour ago, JO_75 said:

That's really a small drop if you look at the big picture.

I think the recent rule changes are also to blame for the declining ratings.

the NFL is getting more safe, and most fans don't like the results (stricter penalties on hits)

The (slightly) dropping SB ratings could also be credited to the teams playing in it I think. Everybody has seen the Patriots a lot in the SuperBowl (though some people would probably just tune in to see them lose) and the Falcons are not that big a team, compared to the real heavy weights in the NFL. Even though they had a terrific O they also weren't as hyped as the Panthers were all season last year. One also should consider the fact it was not the celebratory 50th edition.^^ 

So, I got this email today.  Anyone think it will help?

Dear Fans,

Here at the NFL, we have a relentless drive to improve—particularly when it comes to the way fans experience our game. 

In order to understand how we might deliver a better and more exciting entertainment experience for you, we embarked on a specific project before the start of the 2016 season to gather feedback about the in-stadium and live NFL game viewing experience. 

Consistently, we heard from fans that we can improve in two key areas: the flow and pace of the game, and commercialization and the number of unnecessary disruptions to the game on the field. 

Today, I want to tell you about some of the ways we are working to address that.

On the football side, there are a number of changes we are making to the mechanics and rules of the game to maintain excitement and also improve the consistency of our officiating. 

For example, next week clubs will vote on a change to centralize replay reviews. Instead of a fixed sideline monitor, we will bring a tablet to the Referee who can review the play in consultation with our officiating headquarters in New York, which has the final decision. This should improve consistency and accuracy of decisions and help speed up the process.

Regarding game timing, we're going to institute a play clock following the extra point when television does not take a break, and we're considering instituting a play clock after a touchdown. We're also going to standardize the starting of the clock after a runner goes out-of-bounds, and standardize halftime lengths in all games, so we return to the action as quickly as possible. Those are just a few of the elements we are working on to improve the pace of our game. 

Together with our broadcast partners, we will be working to meaningfully reduce down time and the frequency of commercial breaks in our game. We will also be giving our broadcast partners increased flexibility to avoid untimely breaks in the action. For example, we know how annoying it is when we come back from a commercial break, kick off, and then cut to a commercial again. I hate that too. Our goal is to eliminate it. 

We also know that you feel there are too many elements in the broadcast that aren't relevant to the play on the field. With our partners, we will be looking to instead focus on content that is most complementary and compelling to you–whether that is analysis, highlights or stories about our players. 

All of these changes are meant to give you more of what you want: a competitive game with fewer interruptions and distractions from the action. 

There is much more work to do in the coming seasons as we continue to listen and learn. But these positive changes are intended to create a better experience for you, our fans.

We hope that you will continue to give us feedback on how we can improve. 

Thank you for all that you do for our players, our teams and our game.
Roger Goodell

11 hours ago, Moderator 3 said:

So, I got this email today.  Anyone think it will help?

Did Roger mention the Invision contract and killing message boards? lol

4 hours ago, Moderator 2 said:

We didn't get one.....

I got one, and believe me Roger got an ear full from me, lol.

There's some decent stuff there, especially the play review process. A centralized system is the way it should be done and allows for the quickest decisions I think.

On 12/27/2016 at 0:07 PM, Moderator 3 said:

At home.

And why do you want one? I would rather get a good nights sleep .

In the NFL's attempt to catch up to streaming, they had Twitter stream TNF games last season. This year, Amazon Prime will stream Thursday Night Football for a one year contract. Will say, the NFL is moving in the right direction though as they have to do something to keep up as streaming becomes more popular. Maybe work something out with Direct TV where Amazon or some other streaming service can stream Sunday Ticket or a deal with Sony or Microsoft to stream it on Xbox Live or PSN.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19078771/amazon-wins-rights-livestream-nfl-thursday-night-football-replacing-twitter