JO_75

The NFL Ratings Decline Problem

120 posts in this topic

Since the start of the season, the NFL has run into a major issue. Their TV Ratings are declining when it comes to prime-time games. Each week, whether it's TNF, SNF or MNF the ratings have seen a decline from the 2015 games in those weeks. The Colts/Texans on SNF saw a massive 38 percent drop from the 2015 Week 6 SNF game of the Patriots and Colts. Arizona's blowout win over the Jets saw a 34 percent drop from the 2015 Giants/Eagles Week 6 MNF game. Even more, it represented a 27 percent decline from the 2014 Week 6 MNF game between the Rams and 49ers.

Is the NFL Bubble about to burst? Was Mark Cuban right about the NFL imploding and is this the start of said imploding? What is it that the NFL can do to turn things around or will ratings continue to decline and potentially drop in the playoffs and carry over to the Super Bowl where even the big game's ratings is down? Once I gather info, I'll post the full breakdown ratings comparison soon. 

The rating drops pretty much due to the wrong match up they put on the prime time; Colts and Texans are horrible to begin with and Arizona and Jets? 

The highest rating should be the rivalry and QB matchup like Peyton vs Drew or vs Brady or Flacco vs Ben; it has to be SB winner QB on prime time. 

11 minutes ago, AsianRice said:

The rating drops pretty much due to the wrong match up they put on the prime time; Colts and Texans are horrible to begin with and Arizona and Jets? 

The highest rating should be the rivalry and QB matchup like Peyton vs Drew or vs Brady or Flacco vs Ben; it has to be SB winner QB on prime time. 

Right on.

I LOVE watching all teams, not just our own, but I also have a life. I'm not missing out on something I'm really interested in to watch something lame like Indy vs HOU

3 minutes ago, flynismo said:

Right on.

I LOVE watching all teams, not just our own, but I also have a life. I'm not missing out on something I'm really interested in to watch something lame like Indy vs HOU

Very true, and I think that's it. I believe that thanks to Thursday Night Football, every team is on prime time at least once. Thursday Night Football was alright with me when it only happened late in the year and wasn't every week. I don't know how contracts work but the NFL may want to look into removing Thursday Night Football completely. 

I think the quickest fix would to make every primetime game a rivalry game. And that's not to say it has to be like Pitt-Bal because I think Bal-NE is a pretty big rivalry. I bet that drums up some interest.

And I bet there are other teams that hate each other outside of division lines.

1 hour ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I think the quickest fix would to make every primetime game a rivalry game. And that's not to say it has to be like Pitt-Bal because I think Bal-NE is a pretty big rivalry. I bet that drums up some interest.

I agree it would help, I just don't see why, since they're in flex scheduling, they didn't flex the ATL/SEA game into the 8:30 spot.

7 minutes ago, Rav'n Maniac said:

I agree it would help, I just don't see why, since they're in flex scheduling, they didn't flex the ATL/SEA game into the 8:30 spot.

That would have been an excellent game to flex with Quinn facing off against Seattle. Not to mention #1 offense vs #1 defense.

On 10/19/2016 at 10:00 AM, BmoreBird22 said:

That would have been an excellent game to flex with Quinn facing off against Seattle. Not to mention #1 offense vs #1 defense.

Exactly right. Makes no sense that when you have the option to flex and you are concerned with ratings, you leave a game that people, other than locals, have little interest in seeing. I tuned in to the Indy/Hou game, was out on the couch well before halftime.

1 hour ago, Rav'n Maniac said:

Exactly right. Makes no sense that when you have the option to flex and you are concerned with ratings, you leave a game that people, other than locals, have little interest in seeing. I tuned in to the Indy/Hou game, was out on the couch well before halftime.

The "problem" with flexing is that you have to get the other network to agree to release the game you want.  That isn't easy and I think they wait to late in the season to do that.

2 hours ago, Moderator 3 said:

The "problem" with flexing is that you have to get the other network to agree to release the game you want.  That isn't easy and I think they wait to late in the season to do that.

Thanks, didn't know that. I thought it was written in the network contracts that during the flex portion of the season, the NFL made the final call. Guess I should research it more.

Edit: Weeks 5 - 17,  The NFL decides (after consulting with the networks) which games (up to two) would be flexed a minimum of 12 days before the scheduled game.

Edited by Rav'n Maniac

1 hour ago, Rav'n Maniac said:

Thanks, didn't know that. I thought it was written in the network contracts that during the flex portion of the season, the NFL made the final call. Guess I should research it more.

Edit: Weeks 5 - 17,  The NFL decides (after consulting with the networks) which games (up to two) would be flexed a minimum of 12 days before the scheduled game.

And if you're the network with the game they want to grab, how loud will you holler "No"?

1 hour ago, K-Dog said:

I hope they flex Ravens vs steelers in two weeks.

Not happening, Raiders vs Broncos is the current SNF Game and with the AFC West as close as it is, NFL isn't going to remove it from Prime time.

22 minutes ago, JO_75 said:

Not happening, Raiders vs Broncos is the current SNF Game and with the AFC West as close as it is, NFL isn't going to remove it from Prime time.

Yeah, that sounds right.

Maybe 4:15.

On 10/19/2016 at 8:36 AM, BmoreBird22 said:

You might be on to something. Despite the game ending in a 6-6 tie, SNF saw it's ratings go up for the Seahawks/Cardinals game. In fact it was a 22% improvement from last week's Colts-Texans game. So you may be right, rivalries might be the key to it. Not just divisional, but also try to find the best conference rivals as well(like Ravens-Patriots). AFC South excluded, can't wait to see how low ratings are for Thursday's Jaguars/Titans.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/10/24/sunday-night-football-ratings-seahawks-cardinals-tie/92678062/

Edited by JO_75

1 hour ago, JO_75 said:

You might be on to something. Despite the game ending in a 6-6 tie, SNF saw it's ratings go up for the Seahawks/Cardinals game. In fact it was a 22% improvement from last week's Colts-Texans game. So you may be right, rivalries might be the key to it. Not just divisional, but also try to find the best conference rivals as well(like Ravens-Patriots). AFC South excluded, can't wait to see how low ratings are for Thursday's Jaguars/Titans.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/10/24/sunday-night-football-ratings-seahawks-cardinals-tie/92678062/

are ratings determined by how many people tune in at the beginning, or watch the whole thing? I know I was asleep by halftime, I just wonder how many people actually stayed up to watch the bitter end.

Not disagreeing with you at all, just curious.

7 hours ago, JO_75 said:

I fell asleep just before OT for the Seahawks game, but despite it being an incredibly boring offensive game, I still watched until the fourth ended.

Karpernicks political agenda is hurting the ratings for sure. Of course if you disagree with him you are turned off the game. But even people that agree with him, watch football for entertainment. To escape all the political talk. And he is pushing that on people. He is at work. His crusade should be on his own time. What would happen if anybody else took their political agenda to work? Even if you agree with him, who wants to see that and hear about the backlash while trying to enjoy a football game with friends and family. Football brings people together.

2 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Karpernicks political agenda is hurting the ratings for sure. Of course if you disagree with him you are turned off the game. But even people that agree with him, watch football for entertainment. To escape all the political talk. And he is pushing that on people. He is at work. His crusade should be on his own time. What would happen if anybody else took their political agenda to work? Even if you agree with him, who wants to see that and hear about the backlash while trying to enjoy a football game with friends and family. Football brings people together.

And you just very well described why we don't allow politics here.

games just aren't that entertaining to me anymore. i didn't even flip on MNF, barely watch TNF , I'd rather spend time with my family, netflix, play battlefield 1, etc.

55 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

I don't think Kaep has anything to do with it because it's not just 49ers games that are suffering; it's all games across the league.

2 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I don't think Kaep has anything to do with it because it's not just 49ers games that are suffering; it's all games across the league.

Yea I don't see any reason that would cause a decline in ratings.  Think about how many players do some sketchy stuff, there would be no fans left if we cared about stuff like that, even if Kap brought it on the field.  I find that situation ironically hilarious

Collin Cowherd thinks the decline in ratings has a lot to do with the Presidential situation, he had stats showing that ratings declined each 4 years of elections

4 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Agreed.

Parity, free agency, and ridiculously low salary cap in relation to QB's going rates, all adds up to team's (like us) inability to retain fan favorites.  Too much movement in FA for the casual fan to keep up with.  Double the cap,  enable teams to retain more homegrown players, fans might become more invested. 

1 hour ago, MTRavensFan said:

Agreed.

Parity, free agency, and ridiculously low salary cap in relation to QB's going rates, all adds up to team's (like us) inability to retain fan favorites.  Too much movement in FA for the casual fan to keep up with.  Double the cap,  enable teams to retain more homegrown players, fans might become more invested. 

Even if the salary cap was raised it would just equal out and QB salary would still be taking up the majority of a teams cap.   Only way imo would be to cap position salaries,  but there's all kinds of problems with that.  

11 hours ago, usmccharles said:

Even if the salary cap was raised it would just equal out and QB salary would still be taking up the majority of a teams cap.   Only way imo would be to cap position salaries,  but there's all kinds of problems with that.  

I think a better way would be to set up a "cap discount" for re-signing your own players.