• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
kennethyamini1989

Is Harbaugh on the Hot Seat Yet

1,243 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Moderator 3 said:

Because misspelled subject lines are embarrassing.

The misspelling of his name didn't stop people from getting the context of the message. This isn't a scholarly article where spelling is going to change the point of the thread. 

2 minutes ago, kennethyamini1989 said:

The misspelling of his name didn't stop people from getting the context of the message. This isn't a scholarly article where spelling is going to change the point of the thread. 

Makes us all look like idiots if the coach's name is misspelled in the subject.  

9 minutes ago, kennethyamini1989 said:

Strong indication of effort, or in this case, lack thereof. Maybe you don't care about things like that, but most do.

4 hours ago, wizard1 said:

I want Josh Daniels in here next year.

Never trust a Patriot, he's the OC for Bill Belicheck and one of the best QB's of all time and the best TE ever on his team...

Litterally ANYONE could succeed with that.

Trestman is the one who needs to go. Not saying Harbaugh isn't at fault, but if we have a decent offensive coordinator, we will win more games. If we find a good offensive coordinator (and still a good defense of course) and still don't perform well, then Harbaugh's seat needs to get hot.

Edited by FoxRox75

I would give him a 6. 

I do not think he brings any betterment to our offense or defense, only Special teams.

His decision making really hurts my grade, as I believe on game changing crucial decisions, he makes the right call maybe 25% of the time during his tenure.

What I do like about him, is that he does look and act like a head coach, like hes not stupid, and can teach fundamentally sound football, but talent evaluator and making crucial decisions have gone horribly wrong time and time again, which is a head scratcher, because he looks like the type of guy to make the right decisions, not sure what happens to the brain in the heat of battle there though.

How would you guys rate him?

If you asked me a month ago, I would have said 9.3374 (I'm precise like that).

Now, after nine years, my patience is growing very thin with the way he sugarcoats things, and flat out lied today, talking about how we didn't abandon the run. Don't treat the fans like we are idiots, even if it means you have to hold your OC publicly accountable. He has no problem blaming the players when they do not execute, so hold these coaches to the same standard.

I give him an 8.75 now. Too many costly decisions this year. I usually agree with his aggressive calls, but not as much this year.

This year I'm split. I would go with a 6 but he persevered the first three games but these recent two have been very questionable. I don't know if I were to go with a 6 or 7 for this year. 

- Slow starts, HC takes more blame for that than any other coach. 

- The decision to accept that penalty against Oakland which resulted in a TD. 

- The fake FG move using Tucker as your QB when the wind has an effect. 

- Running a play before the half on your side of field knowing you're getting nothing and injuring a starter in the process. 

- Also, not stepping in and re-asserting the run game. As a HC if you feel like the OC if running away from the run, then you run him back into. One of the responsibilities of a HC is to manage his staff and he did not do that. Harbaugh takes fault for that. 

Overall, I'm going with an 8, I still think Harbaugh is our guy but he has to make a choice soon at OC. Maybe Trestman rebounds and redeems himself but right now hes in trouble. 

Edited by PurpleCity5

1 hour ago, Cillmatic said:

Never trust a Patriot, he's the OC for Bill Belicheck and one of the best QB's of all time and the best TE ever on his team...

Litterally ANYONE could succeed with that.

He had some good offenses in Denver and he made Garrapollo look like a Pro Bowl talent with no Gronk.

Also, Belichick is a defensive coach by trade, so McDaniels is more to thank for that offense.

3 hours ago, kennethyamini1989 said:

Sure, but it is impossible to take someone seriously when they can't even be bothered to get someone's name right. Its either laziness or ignorance, either way, its embarrassing and reflects poorly on whatever point you are trying to make.

Edited by flynismo

He's an emotional guy, for better or for worse. We saw last year how his competitive spirit still had the remaining guys left on the roster playing hard even at the end of a meaningless season, and I don't doubt that that competitive spirit gets the team amped for big games vs Pitt and NE. However, sometimes Harbaugh will let his emotions get the best of him and make poor decisions here and there. When it works (like that time he went on 4th down on his own side of the field @ Miami two years ago) it's called being gutsy. When it doesn't work (like the accepted penalty last week or the fake kick this week) it just looks dumb. You have to take the good with the bad with Harbaugh. 

I actually like that he doesn't call-out his players and coaches publicly and essentially "lies" to the press/fans in the postgame, since if you're calling-out guys publicly, then you're setting yourself to lose the locker room. I respect him for being able to hold-in his emotions after the game, assuming he talks with players and coaches in-person about what needs to be improved (Trestman abandoning the run, for example). 

17 minutes ago, Maryland said:

He's an emotional guy, for better or for worse. We saw last year how his competitive spirit still had the remaining guys left on the roster playing hard even at the end of a meaningless season, and I don't doubt that that competitive spirit gets the team amped for big games vs Pitt and NE. However, sometimes Harbaugh will let his emotions get the best of him and make poor decisions here and there. When it works (like that time he went on 4th down on his own side of the field @ Miami two years ago) it's called being gutsy. When it doesn't work (like the accepted penalty last week or the fake kick this week) it just looks dumb. You have to take the good with the bad with Harbaugh. 

I actually like that he doesn't call-out his players and coaches publicly and essentially "lies" to the press/fans in the postgame, since if you're calling-out guys publicly, then you're setting yourself to lose the locker room. I respect him for being able to hold-in his emotions after the game, assuming he talks with players and coaches in-person about what needs to be improved (Trestman abandoning the run, for example). 

Yeah, I love how the players clearly fight for him even when his time as coach was clearly in no danger (as opposed to when the players turn it on for Rex when he's on the hot seat). I'm mixed on some of the aggressive calls, I think being fearless enough to make those calls in the playoffs adds a real wrinkle that can make a huge difference in a game and keeps other teams honest so I'm glad he does them, but sometimes he seems to get a bit cute for his own good. But like you say you take the bad with the good.

It annoys me a bit when people say he doesn't show any emotion. Just because he doesn't go Jim Mora or Mike Singletary in the press conferences doesn't mean he doesn't get angry and yell at his players and coaches. It's just that he's professional and composed enough to keep that stuff behind closed doors and I wouldn't have him do it any other way. As a fan it can be a little frustrating when he gets vague about what they want to work on or the state of someone's injury, but I prefer it when he keeps a lid on things.

Being loyal to his guys is another interesting one. It means he sticks with Cam a little longer than he should, but aside from the argument about whether he should have fired Pees a couple of years ago (and miss out on our stellar defensive play to date) it creates a culture of professionalism and loyalty. And that's really appealing for prospective coaches - like when Kubiak came knocking it was between us and Cleveland and the choice was a complete no-brainer.

The big thing I'd want to see changed about him is his clock management. But for all the advantages of learning from the Andy Reid coaching tree, that's probably one of the bigger disadvantages.

Same problems year after year after year screams head coach to me. Penalties , I'll discipline, slow starts, low scoring etc etc.

7 hours ago, Nightman said:

Maryland should have hired John as head coach, just think having a Harbowl against Michigan every year would a hot ticket in either College Park or Ann Arbor.

Whoa there, it's not my job to go around hiring people

Leadership: 9/10

Team Discipline: 7/10

Football IQ: 6.5/10

Ability To Make Players Better: 5/10

Executive Decision Making: 5/10 

14 hours ago, Raving_Heathen said:

Harbaugh's not going anywhere any time soon. It'd probably literally take a couple more underachieving seasons for that to happen. This is coming from someone who's never been a big fan of his, but despite his boneheaded decisions throughout the years and in particular this season, I think he's the least of this team's problems.

I totally agree with this statement.  Owner has a bromance with him anyway.

6 hours ago, Maryland said:

I actually like that he doesn't call-out his players and coaches publicly and essentially "lies" to the press/fans in the postgame

If this was in reference to my comment, I want to clarify what I mean. There's a difference between blaming and calling out. For example:

1. "We need to execute better" is a generic answer, but is sending a clear message about the players. He is essentially blaming the players without singling anybody out. It is an answer he gives frequently, and one that I can respect.

2. "We abandoned the run today, and it was a mistake" is honestly assessing what went wrong. It is treating our fans with respect as intelligent people, while at the same time sending a clear message about the OC without flat out throwing him under the bus. This is also an answer that I respect, and one that I prefer above all else.

3. "We abandoned the run today, and it was a mistake. It is costing us games, and is becoming a distraction and big point of contention" is factually correct and an honest assessment, but is going overboard and now we're into "calling people out" territory. I can respect the honesty, but not the loyalty to his staff. There must be a balance between transparency with us fans, and maintaining cohesiveness in the locker room. This answer is not acceptable at any time.

So, by no means do I want him ever calling people out. Delegate the blame in a diplomatic way. Just be honest with us fans. Don't lie to us and say that we did not abandon the run. When you do that, you are:

A] losing my confidence in you. How can I respect someone who won't be honest with me and thinks I am stupid?

B] shielding someone from blame that they justly deserve. That makes me question whether you have what it takes to identify and fix a clear problem

C] being hypocritical. How can you talk about us needing to execute better -- but only when it comes to on field play, not when it comes to implementing a game plan. Completely unfair to the players

Now, has he been fired yet (Trestman)??

Edited by flynismo

He seems like the right guy for this Team ,but his coaching choices are questionable ( Trestman , letting go a Forsett & not being aggressive in most play callings)I like him As a Person just not sure of him as The Head Coach

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

He seems like the right guy for this Team ,but his coaching choices are questionable ( Trestman , letting go a Forsett & not being aggressive in most play callings)I like him As a Person just not sure of him as The Head Coach

letting go of forsett should have been done earlier. that was a good move. it's his bad in-game decisions which make a difficult situation even worse which is my issue.

Dont get me wrong, in no way, shape, or form am i blaming John for anything. But between accepting that penalty against the Raiders, and giving them an extra play that they turned into a first down, and later turned into points. And attempting a fake field goal, that looking at it now would have only made it a three point game at the end. Those two decisions are the difference between us being 3-2 and 5-0. What are your thoughts?

11 hours ago, flynismo said:

If you asked me a month ago, I would have said 9.3374 (I'm precise like that).

Now, after nine years, my patience is growing very thin with the way he sugarcoats things, and flat out lied today, talking about how we didn't abandon the run. Don't treat the fans like we are idiots, even if it means you have to hold your OC publicly accountable. He has no problem blaming the players when they do not execute, so hold these coaches to the same standard.

I give him an 8.75 now. Too many costly decisions this year. I usually agree with his aggressive calls, but not as much this year.

Given that Harbs did the right, but difficult, thing with Trestman this morning (I presume it was him, since this is the job of the HC), I want to bump him up from 8.75 to a resounding 9. I forgive you for talking to us like we're dummies, Harbs, just as long as you continue doing the right things regardless of what you say.

8 hours ago, arnie_uk said:

Same problems year after year after year screams head coach to me. Penalties , I'll discipline, slow starts, low scoring etc etc.

Penalties are sort of hard to put on the HC. Certainly at least depends on what type of penalties they are. 

A lot of your normal penalties, like Holding, PI, etc. are pretty much impossible to put on the coach, since no coach actually coaches those type of things.

14 hours ago, Moderator 3 said:

Makes us all look like idiots if the coach's name is misspelled in the subject.  

Half the posts in the thread are insanity but hey least we can spell the coach's name 

I am of the few 

I have never been a fan, but I am a RAVENS fanatic

so I support him, this is  not meant to pile on after 2 winnable games we lost

but what I have said for years.

most HC are either great OC or DC,  He was and is a ST

while we are overjoyed with our ST ranked 1 or 2

the def and off have always lacked,

former coach  Billick  was an offense guru, yet his offense was always sub par and he bet on kyle bollar

but he had a core group here that went over to harb tenure,

so while fans talk of the games he has won(record)

jon gruden and the incomparable JIM HARBAUGH(huge fan) took over teams good teams

our HC he is a good guy,I get the love

in the beginning the problems we had clock and game mgmt, loyalty to coaches, so called infamous doghouse  

he came in and corrected the dumb penalties, he wanted (imh) a type of player or character

he wanted players to play ST, (why is C.J Mosley still on ST),

but because he knew nothing about the offense , this is why trestman was allowed to continues to just pass 

or cam was kept so long or our other crazy DC

our team is almost like a N.E type of team without the intellect

while I am not a fan of him coaching I do like the guy,

grew up on pimlico rd,

The presence he and the players make in the city is huge, 

THANK YOU, in the event you get fired,

When you're right, you're right. Those decisions cost us dearly. But we cannot lay the blame solely on that. Just like any other game, we had plenty of other opportunities to walk away with the win, but our OC and our players failed us.

We win as a team, and we lose as a team. We're in it together. But as we saw this morning, if you aren't pulling your weight, you aren't going to be here long. This is Harbs' 9th year here, and for good reason. He'll make up for those mistakes. He's already begun doing so by making the much needed change at OC.

1. I have no valid support for that fake FG. I'm honestly not sure what he was thinking. A 40+ yard FG, sure, I get it. The wind sucks and it was a tough day to kick obviously. But not that from that distance and at that time in the game.

2. I have zero issue with the accepted penalty from last week. Still think it was the right decision. The risk was quite low of the Ravens coming out of that worse than they were. 

For starters, you push them back to a much longer FG, at about 52-53 yards at the time I believe. Now most people will ignorantly say "but Janikowski has a big leg", which is great and all, but it ignores the fact that there's more than just distance required to make a kick. You actually have to get the ball through the uprights as well, and on his career, Janikowski was I believe about 57% from that distance, meaning its close to a coin flip that he's going to make it.

You put your defense in a great spot... 3rd and 17. A sack or negative play puts them out of FG range all together, thus netting you points, and even if your defense gives up like 15 or 16 yards, you're in the same spot you were when you declined the penalty.

So a defense playing exceptional at the time gives up a 17 yard completion... and that alone wasn't enough. Then, you're defensive lineman have to decide to pretend like they've never seen a hard count before, and jump offsides like 12 year olds. 

And then, they still have like 20-25 more yards to go for a TD. A defensive stop at any point gives them the same outcome as declining the penalty.

Sorry, but for me, complaining about that decision just stinks too much of hindsight analysis for my liking. Too many things have to go wrong for it to backfire, and all of them did.