• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Moderator 3

Baltimore Orioles Off-season 2016-2017

226 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, rmw10 said:

Tomo Ohka?  Might as well take a flyer.  Seems we've been trying these knuckle baller projects for years now.

Camp arm, nothing more. They guy has been out of pro ball since 2014 and those last two seasons were horrible ones in Japan.

O's also brought back OF Chris Dickerson and re-signed Garabez Rosa who has played all over the field in his long minor league career. Then they signed somebody else from the Red Sox organization as well I think, some 25 year old coming off of injuries named Coyle.

If we're looking for an under the radar, top of the order type bat that can play the OF and steal some bases then we should look at Ben Revere. He's coming off of an injury marred season but he's a .300 hitter that doesn't walk or strike out a ton. Not a prototypical lead off guy because you'd like to see more walks generally speaking, but it beats wasting Adam Jones or Manny Machado there.

11 hours ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

Camp arm, nothing more. They guy has been out of pro ball since 2014 and those last two seasons were horrible ones in Japan.

O's also brought back OF Chris Dickerson and re-signed Garabez Rosa who has played all over the field in his long minor league career. Then they signed somebody else from the Red Sox organization as well I think, some 25 year old coming off of injuries named Coyle.

If we're looking for an under the radar, top of the order type bat that can play the OF and steal some bases then we should look at Ben Revere. He's coming off of an injury marred season but he's a .300 hitter that doesn't walk or strike out a ton. Not a prototypical lead off guy because you'd like to see more walks generally speaking, but it beats wasting Adam Jones or Manny Machado there.

Wow. We are tearing it up in the off season! :P

Buster Olney said that he highly doubts Machado signs an extension for anything less than a deal that shatters Giancarlo Stanton's. His arbitration eligible years will have him making north of $20M in the final year, so he has no reason not to wait another two years unless the Orioles want to give him something like 13yr/$350M, which would give the Orioles control through his age 39 season. Given that the Orioles have never approached a contract that large under Angelos, I don't see it happening. 

So, if the Orioles aren't competing, Olney suggested trading Jones, Machado, and Britton to get prospects. Those three alone could probably net several top 10 prospects and many top 50 on top of it. That could put the Orioles farm system back in the top 5 instead of the bottom 5.

2 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Buster Olney said that he highly doubts Machado signs an extension for anything less than a deal that shatters Giancarlo Stanton's. His arbitration eligible years will have him making north of $20M in the final year, so he has no reason not to wait another two years unless the Orioles want to give him something like 13yr/$350M, which would give the Orioles control through his age 39 season. Given that the Orioles have never approached a contract that large under Angelos, I don't see it happening. 

So, if the Orioles aren't competing, Olney suggested trading Jones, Machado, and Britton to get prospects. Those three alone could probably net several top 10 prospects and many top 50 on top of it. That could put the Orioles farm system back in the top 5 instead of the bottom 5.

This is why baseball sucks.  It sucks knowing that contracts have grown so large that even a larger market team can't afford to keep the face of their franchise.

1 minute ago, rmw10 said:

This is why baseball sucks.  It sucks knowing that contracts have grown so large that even a larger market team can't afford to keep the face of their franchise.

Salary cap would do wonders.

I've always hated this aspect of baseball. It's not right that teams can buy a championship or buy players just to keep them off the market from other teams.

Just now, BmoreBird22 said:

I've always hated this aspect of baseball. It's not right that teams can buy a championship or buy players just to keep them off the market from other teams.

Contracts have just gotten so out of hand at this point that there are only a few teams who can actually pay those prices without having to skate by at other positions.  Lower market teams that are handing out these contracts can't put much other talent around them.

1 minute ago, rmw10 said:

Contracts have just gotten so out of hand at this point that there are only a few teams who can actually pay those prices without having to skate by at other positions.  Lower market teams that are handing out these contracts can't put much other talent around them.

And unless you're very lucky like the Orioles and land a Machado caliber player and some really bargain one year players (Cruz), you won't compete. Teams have such a limited window.

18 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I've hated it since the Yankees bought their way to a championship in the late 70s. The problem is, a cap will never be instituted. The power of the players union is so strong and the league has devised ways for some teams to spend nothing, perennially suck and still make money. There is no appetite for the kind of labor bloodbath that would be required to even try to institute a cap in the sport. 

So - teams like ours ... who are middle of the road in terms of what they can afford, can hold on to some above average talents and have no chance of holding on to a  true marquee player. Others are forced to move their big names to big money teams, pluck their prospects and pray they can develop them quickly enough to have them produce before they have to wave goodbye to them. 

Back in the Oriole hay-day, I was a bigger baseball fan than a football fan. But the state of the game has caused me to lose interest over time. I still keep an eye to the Os and root for them, but my expectations are never going to be very high. 

1 hour ago, balfan23 said:

I've hated it since the Yankees bought their way to a championship in the late 70s. The problem is, a cap will never be instituted. The power of the players union is so strong and the league has devised ways for some teams to spend nothing, perennially suck and still make money. There is no appetite for the kind of labor bloodbath that would be required to even try to institute a cap in the sport. 

So - teams like ours ... who are middle of the road in terms of what they can afford, can hold on to some above average talents and have no chance of holding on to a  true marquee player. Others are forced to move their big names to big money teams, pluck their prospects and pray they can develop them quickly enough to have them produce before they have to wave goodbye to them. 

Back in the Oriole hay-day, I was a bigger baseball fan than a football fan. But the state of the game has caused me to lose interest over time. I still keep an eye to the Os and root for them, but my expectations are never going to be very high. 

I still love watching Orioles games in person and I enjoy watching late in the year when tames really matter, but it's hard for me to really get into the league as a whole like football.

Like yeah, I know big names, but I can't tell you many starters from other teams or will break out.

I can hardly even name top prospects in AAA Norfolk and I go to those games.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:06 AM, BmoreBird22 said:

And unless you're very lucky like the Orioles and land a Machado caliber player and some really bargain one year players (Cruz), you won't compete. Teams have such a limited window.

That is exactly why I was so upset that we didn't get a top starting pitcher and keep Cruz & Markakis a few years ago. We had a real chance to win it all.

What do you all think of the O's acquiring OF Seth Smith from the Mariners in exchange for RHP Gallardo and cash?

4 minutes ago, cobrajet said:

What do you all think of the O's acquiring OF Seth Smith from the Mariners in exchange for RHP Gallardo and cash?

I'm excited.  Fielding percentage is great.  Might finally give us a reliable fielder out there with Adam.

3 minutes ago, Moderator 3 said:

I'm excited.  Fielding percentage is great.  Might finally give us a reliable fielder out there with Adam.

I know it probably frees up money for the O's (depending on how much we sent the Mariners) but Gallardo started to improve toward the end of the season when he got healthier and could have a bounce back year. Then again, he could decline even more like he has been doing for the last several years.

Gallardo was unfortunately expendable.  No better than our other starters.

From the Orioles press release:

Smith, 34, hit .249/.342/.415 (94-for-378) with 16 home runs and a career-high 63 RBI over 137 games with the Mariners last season. He led Seattle hitters with a .326 batting average (28-for-86) with runners in scoring position (ranked 12th among American League hitters), including a .545 clip (6-for-11) with the bases loaded. Smith homered in a career-high four consecutive games from June 30-July 3, one of nine American League players to homer in four or more consecutive games last season. He ranked fifth among American League outfielders with a .994 fielding percentage in 2016 and has posted a career .989 fielding percentage as an outfielder. 

33 minutes ago, cobrajet said:

Think it's a solid move although Smith can't hit lefties, which seems to be a crux for this team.  He's a solid option out there who hits well overall, but not great.  Solid AVG and pretty good OBP.  Good glove out there as well.

2 hours ago, cobrajet said:

I'm okay with it. Not impressed with Gallardo at all.

Glad to see us get rid of Gallardo. I like him as a person but he definitely seems to be on the downslope of his career. Need outfield help so good to get that. .249 average doesn't look great but the OBP is pretty solid at least so it looks like he can take a walk.

But we gave away PITCHING!!!  Maybe now they're sign a free agent pitcher like Tim Lincecum 

This is a bad move trading Yovani Gallardo. Now what if Yovani Gallardo rebounds and start pitching great. Does Jake Aretta ring a bell? If Mariners wind up  in the World Series IM BLAMING PETER ANGELOS!!!  

Why don't O's trade for McCutchen? 

Teams are still interested in trading for Pirates OF Andrew McCutchen

Pirates GM Neal Huntington has repeatedly said he is unlikely to trade OF Andrew McCutchen before Opening Day, yet interested teams continue to ask about him in trade, a source recently told the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo.

In late December, FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reported that the Mets have had trade talks to acquire a center fielder, including McCutchen. However, in the wake of Rosenthal's report, New York and Pittsburgh reporters cited a variety of team and industry sources who characterized a potential deal between the two teams as 'unlikely.'

For instance, a source told MLB.com's Anthony DiComo that negotiations between the Mets and Pirates about McCutchen had been "minor," and, "a trade is highly unlikely to materialize."

Instead, according to DiComo, the Mets expect to enter Spring Training with Curtis Granderson and Juan Lagares platooning in center field, with Michael Conforto also getting work at the position.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/teams-are-still-interested-in-trading-for-pirates-of-andrew-mccutchen/213093552

Why don't O's trade Schoop to the Pirates? This can add to the O's outfield. McCutchen would be perfect for Camden Yards. He can hit doubles and triples I can play left field with Adam Jones  And try to sign Free agent Kelly Johnson from the Mets 

Rumors going that we might be looking for Jason Hamel to come back as our #2/#3 option for pitching.   Wonder what he would command

23 hours ago, Ravenseconbeast said:

Rumors going that we might be looking for Jason Hamel to come back as our #2/#3 option for pitching.   Wonder what he would command

None of these pitchers will win 20 games i can tell you that right now