• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Moderator 3

Baltimore Orioles Off-season 2016-2017

226 posts in this topic

I'll format my wall of text in the other thread better here. Funny what paragraphs can do lol

On 10/5/2016 at 9:47 PM, 52520Andrew said:

Things I would like to see this offseason. 

I would love to see us get a bat who can hit for contact assuming Trumbo goes. We still would have Machado, Davis(please learn to hit left this offseason), Jones and Schoop so the power would not be lacking. If they played at a corner outfield slot that would be even better. Speed on top of that would be really nice. Maybe Rickard makes a jump for us. 

A decent starting pitcher would be nice too but we already have money invested in Ubaldo and Gallardo so I am not holding my breath. We have Miley for next year as well. Hopefully what we have seen from Tillman, Gausman, and Bundy carries over into next year and Bundy makes the jump to a full time starter. I feel more confident in the starters next year as opposed to this year at least. With our pen, the pitching could be pretty good overall. 

A couple guys I wouldn't mind bringing back would be Alvarez and Pearce. Pearce for fairly obvious reasons but I think Alvarez could do well in the DH role and make up for the lack of HR from Trumbo going if given a bigger role as a DH.

As for Catcher, I think Weiters is out of here but I am hoping our top prospect in Chance Sisco can come in and do well. Not the best defender and power while shown in flashes is not overly impressive. Can hit for average however though and we really need that. Maybe bring someone in if we don't like him or don't think Joseph can step in.

We gotta get some stuff right but we have some interesting tools going into next year. 

I'd rather keep Manccini over Alvarez.  We need some speed. Our infield is solid, but they're slow, can't get an infield hit, and can't steal.

While the power is certainly nice, we need a couple more bats that aren't strikeout or homerun types.  We need some more consistency on the base paths.  Preferrably, both are corner outfielders so if we do happen to re-sign Trumbo (doubtful), he can be the DH.

I'd be looking strongly into another starting P somewhere along the lines as well.

I hope they keep Bourn. He adds base stealing ability that we simply don't have. Would like to add a bat who can take a count deep and get on base. Obviously a decent starter for the rotation would be nice but that's probably not gonna happen.

I don't believe we gonna be able to get much help in the pitching dept. Maybe a cheap veteran but my main focus would be on extending Tillman,Britton and Bundy. Gallardo and Jimenez contracts got us lassoed. I made an earlier post that I didn't want Gallardo and would've kept the 14th pick.

Trumbo,Alvarez and Wieters should not be resigned. Yes we lose power but we need better OBP than we have now. I also wouldn't sign any big ticket or even average FAs and would garner the draft picks we would gain in compensation(we will get picks for Trumbo and Wieters if we offer them 1 yr deals-please correct me if I'm wrong).

At catcher go with Joseph for veteran exp and entrench him in the #9 hole and give kids like Cisco a shot in preseason and bring in a veteran for insurance.

At infield go with the same starting 4 plus Flattery :unsure:.

Outfield is where Id look for competition and look for more speed and OBP. Jones for sure in center. Resign Bourn and Stubbs(both left hand hitters and can also fill in at center).Rickard and Reimold will offer options as right hand hitters at the corner outfield spots. Give Mancini and Walker a chance to win jobs( both provide pop and can play backup at 1st). Kim??? This is my DH with some time in the outfield.

Also again bring in rule 5 pick at either pitching or hitter. Always worth taking a look at that chump change.

Reimold can go.  Basically useless most of the year.  Keep Trumbo as DH, spare first base and outfiled. Rickard and Kim can platoon. Keep Bourn and Stubbs and try to find a spot for Mancini. Joseph, Pena, and maybe Cisco for catcher.  

2 hours ago, Moderator 3 said:

Reimold can go.  Basically useless most of the year.  Keep Trumbo as DH, spare first base and outfiled. Rickard and Kim can platoon. Keep Bourn and Stubbs and try to find a spot for Mancini. Joseph, Pena, and maybe Cisco for catcher.  

Yeah Reimold was pretty terrible at the plate this year. 

35 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

And not any better in the outfield.

3 hours ago, Tank 92 said:

Wonder what happened to Steve? He posts some pretty goofy stuff but I kinda like him.

Personally, I've been enjoying the boards more without the constant "fire buck" comments. But he definitely got some conversations going, I'll give him that

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:51 PM, Tank 92 said:

Wonder what happened to Steve? He posts some pretty goofy stuff but I kinda like him.

I think after we lost the playoff game he started working on a plan to fire Buck.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:39 PM, 52520Andrew said:

And he made mental mistakes running the bases. He needs to go.

I would love to keep Trumbo, but I don't think that is happening.

And we definitely need starting pitching. And the whole teams needs to take a course called "How Not to Swing at Balls in the Dirt".

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagicPlease said:

I think after we lost the playoff game he started working on a plan to fire Buck.

I started working on that plan about the top of the 10th of the WC game.   lol

Why hasn't Buck been fired? I told Y'all Buck is like Marty Shotenheimer. You win season and he loses the playoffs. Remember The Drive and The Fumble?  

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:47 PM, Moderator 3 said:

I'll just start it off with this:

H-c07lOI_normal.jpg Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch)
Buck said talked to pending FA Wieters: "Tough. Not many dry eyes in that place." #orioles

Sounds like Wieters is gone.  Will post some more tweets from today's press conference.

No qualifying offer for Wieters.

33 minutes ago, OriolesMagicPlease said:

No qualifying offer for Wieters.

Not surprised at all that they didn't extend one. He'd probably accept it again and he's not worth an even bigger pay bump.

On October 10, 2016 at 8:51 PM, Tank 92 said:

Im here...But im surprised Buck is still here. We will not go to the world series as long Buck is still in that dugout. Buck doesn't know a thing about pitching. At Least Earl Weaver knew all about pitching thats why O's had 20 game winners back in 70s and early 80s Almost every year an O's pitcher won 20 games when Weaver was manager, Since when Buck has produced a 20 game winner as manager for any team? Not even the Yankees or D Backs had an 20 winner when Buck managed them. And The last O's pitcher won 20 games was Mike Boddicker 1983 That was after Earl retired 

23 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Not surprised at all that they didn't extend one. He'd probably accept it again and he's not worth an even bigger pay bump.

Agreed, but we are definitely going to miss his defense behind the plate. And before Joseph gives Flacco a lesson in sliding, I think he should give himself a lesson on how to get an RBI. :D

17 hours ago, Steve0x said:

Im here...But im surprised Buck is still here. We will not go to the world series as long Buck is still in that dugout. Buck doesn't know a thing about pitching. At Least Earl Weaver knew all about pitching thats why O's had 20 game winners back in 70s and early 80s Almost every year an O's pitcher won 20 games when Weaver was manager, Since when Buck has produced a 20 game winner as manager for any team? Not even the Yankees or D Backs had an 20 winner when Buck managed them. And The last O's pitcher won 20 games was Mike Boddicker 1983 That was after Earl retired 

Buck is a finalist for AL Manager of the Year.

46 minutes ago, OriolesMagicPlease said:

Agreed, but we are definitely going to miss his defense behind the plate. And before Joseph gives Flacco a lesson in sliding, I think he should give himself a lesson on how to get an RBI. :D

The good think about Joseph is that he hits better with consistent playing time.  It's not coincidence that his best moments over the last 2 seasons have come when Wieters was injured and Joseph was the every day catcher.

With that being said, 0 RBI over the entire season is still crazy.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagicPlease said:

Buck is a finalist for AL Manager of the Year.

And no trip to the World Series? Comon?? Im dying to get my hands on these tickets 

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Steve0x

1 hour ago, rmw10 said:

The good think about Joseph is that he hits better with consistent playing time.  It's not coincidence that his best moments over the last 2 seasons have come when Wieters was injured and Joseph was the every day catcher.

With that being said, 0 RBI over the entire season is still crazy.

Oh, he does hit better with consistent at bats, that is true. But it will be a downgrade from Wieters. It was unbelievable that he didn't get one, single RBI. I felt bad for him.

6 minutes ago, Steve0x said:

And no trip to the World Series? Comon?? Im dying to get my hands on these tickets 

s-l300.jpg

Every single fan of every single team wants to see their team make it to the World Series. Buck is our best chance.