usmccharles

Everything Science

109 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Steve0x said:

So what,,,If were gonna die let everybody just kill each other. 

Lovely thinking 

NASA teases a major new exoplanet discovery

The space agency is holding a news conference Wednesday to announce a big new find of planets beyond our solar system but still in the same neighborhood of the Milky Way

Our cosmic neighborhood is starting to feel a little more crowded. 

This week NASA will announce new findings about planets orbiting other stars that look to be the biggest exoplanet news since last year's announcement of a potentially habitable exoplanet around our closest stellar neighbor, Proxima Centauri. 

The space agency has set a news conference for 10 a.m. PT Wednesday to officially share the science. The news, which will also be published in the journal Nature, is officially embargoed until the start of the news conference. We've seen the research, and while we can't share details yet, let's just say it could very easily provide us with new settings for many future works of science fiction.

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/nasa-space-exoplanet-preview-sara-seager/

WOW!

NASA Telescope Reveals Largest Batch of Earth-Size, Habitable-Zone Planets Around Single Star

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has revealed the first known system of seven Earth-size planets around a single star. Three of these planets are firmly located in the habitable zone, the area around the parent star where a rocky planet is most likely to have liquid water.

The discovery sets a new record for greatest number of habitable-zone planets found around a single star outside our solar system. All of these seven planets could have liquid water – key to life as we know it – under the right atmospheric conditions, but the chances are highest with the three in the habitable zone.

“This discovery could be a significant piece in the puzzle of finding habitable environments, places that are conducive to life,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of the agency’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. “Answering the question ‘are we alone’ is a top science priority and finding so many planets like these for the first time in the habitable zone is a remarkable step forward toward that goal.”

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-telescope-reveals-largest-batch-of-earth-size-habitable-zone-planets-around

You know at times, I wonder and I say to myself, "You mean to tell me a telescope is able to see light-years away and able to identify a planet's features?" It sounds so surreal to me. 

9 hours ago, DomMcRaven said:

You know at times, I wonder and I say to myself, "You mean to tell me a telescope is able to see light-years away and able to identify a planet's features?" It sounds so surreal to me. 

I think about how we're able to use telescopes to see into the past and I wish we could look at the future.

4 hours ago, darklight1216 said:

I think about how we're able to use telescopes to see into the past and I wish we could look at the future.

Personally, I prefer NOT to see the future. That's just me though.

I've been following that mess in California with all the rain and the sheer damage at Lake Oroville to the spillway  and displacing all those people.

I then came across this Lake Berryessa and the morning glory hole  Which is beyond cool.  For some reason Dams and their towers be it Liberty, Patuxant or Conawingo, fascinate and  scare me all the same.  I had a friend sucked up in an intake and killed in 1990 or '91 while working as a diver. Water can be the most beautiful and destructive force of nature.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, Moderator 2 said:

I've been following that mess in California with all the rain and the sheer damage at Lake Oroville to the spillway  and displacing all those people.

I then came across this Lake Berryessa and the morning glory hole  Which is beyond cool.  For some reason Dams and their towers be it Liberty, Patuxant or Conawingo, fascinate and  scare me all the same.  I had a friend sucked up in an intake and killed in 1990 or '91 while working as a diver. Water can be the most beautiful and destructive force of nature.

That's pretty amazing, ive never seen that before.  Next time im up that way im going to make time to check It out. 

2 hours ago, 52520Andrew said:

More storms to come through today, more a wind threat as things stand

I have never dealt with this much rain out here compacted in such a short time.  2 months in and I feel like its been raining non-stop.

Edited by usmccharles

6 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

That's pretty amazing, ive never seen that before.  Next time im up that way im going to make time to check It out. 

I have never dealt with this much rain out here compacted in such a short time.  2 months in and I feel like its been raining non-stop.

Yeah crazy water year for you guys out there, showed that drought who was boss

You should be clear today, was talking about the east getting the storms today

17 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

Yeah crazy water year for you guys out there, showed that drought who was boss

You should be clear today, was talking about the east getting the storms today

Yea I knew what you meant, just was saying how crazy it is out here.  Global warming? lol

Just now, usmccharles said:

Yea I knew what you meant, just was saying how crazy it is out here.  Global warming? lol

We have certainly had a warm winter over here, gonna hit 70 today before the storms roll in

Just now, 52520Andrew said:

We have certainly had a warm winter over here, gonna hit 70 today before the storms roll in

I don't even remember the last time I was there.  I just want to go back for the blue crab and a home game

3 hours ago, usmccharles said:

Old wives tale :Thunder in Winter.
Snow in 7 Days.
This week we won't be looking, rather, we'll be listening for the sound of thunder in the sky. As the saying alleges, roughly 7 days after a thunderstorm, snow will be falling.   FROM the Old Farmers Almanac 
For every thunder with rain in February, there will be a cold spell in May.
Thunder in September brings plenty of snow in February.
Thunder in spring, Cold will bring.

WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE MARS HABITABLE

A group of scientists have devised a plan to make Mars a little more hospitable to human life.

A computer modeling experiment suggests that we can use a spacecraft to create a magnetic field around Mars, shielding it from the solar wind that’s stripping its thin atmosphere away, oxygen ion by oxygen ion.

If the plan works — and that’s a big “if,” it could melt the red planet’s polar ice caps to bring back some liquid water to the Martian surface for the first time in billions of years. 

http://www.thetopuniversities.com/uncategorized/we-might-be-able-to-make-mars-habitable/

Discuss.

Another nearby planet found that may be just right for life

WASHINGTON (AP) — Astronomers have found yet another planet that seems to have just the right Goldilocks combination for life: Not so hot and not so cold. It's not so far away, either.

This new, big, dense planet is rocky, like Earth, and has the right temperatures for water, putting it in the habitable zone for life, according to a study published Wednesday in the journal Nature .

It's the fifth such life-possible planet outside our solar system revealed in less than a year, but still relatively nearby Earth. Rocky planets within that habitable zone of a star are considered the best place to find evidence of some form of life.

"It is astonishing to live in a time when discovery of potentially habitable worlds is not only commonplace but proliferating," said MIT astronomer Sara Seager, who wasn't part of the study.

The first planet outside our solar system was discovered in 1995, but thanks to new techniques and especially NASA's planet-hunting Kepler telescope, the number of them has exploded in recent years. Astronomers have now identified 52 potentially habitable planets and more than 3,600 planets outside our solar system.

The latest discovery, called LHS 1140b, regularly passes in front of its star, allowing astronomers to measure its size and mass. That makes astronomers more confident that this one is rocky, compared to other recent discoveries.

In the next several years, new telescopes should be able to use the planet's path to spy its atmosphere in what could be the best-aimed search for signs of life, said Harvard astronomer David Charbonneau, a co-author of the study. If scientists see both oxygen and some carbon in an atmosphere, that's a promising sign that something could be living.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/another-nearby-planet-found-may-just-life-172316788.html

I hope they found another earth.

More UFO sightings around the ISS  I love the U.K. Papers!  The article discusses cylinders and cloaked ships so I guess they are Romulens and not the Cylons.

Conspiracy theorist Scott C Waring, who runs UFO Sightings Daily, shared the footage, writing: “I noticed a UFO in the distance that was coming closer and closer to the space station.

“The UFO was partially cloaked, which made it look transparent.

“In the deep blackness of spaces, blending into the environment means you will be safer from other alien species that may not be friendly.”