• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
usmccharles

Everything Science

107 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, 52520Andrew said:

Solar Eclipse coming this August. Gonna be partial in Maryland but a total eclipse a few hours south

As per usual Maryland gets ripped off when it comes to these type of things. I swear almost every time some cool space thing is supposed to happen its either somewhere else or when it is here, its too cloudy out to see anything. At least we should get to see some of it. 

3 hours ago, Cville-Raven said:

As per usual Maryland gets ripped off when it comes to these type of things. I swear almost every time some cool space thing is supposed to happen its either somewhere else or when it is here, its too cloudy out to see anything. At least we should get to see some of it. 

Yeah would be nice if it came right over Baltimore lol

Oh well, it is the first one in the lower 48 in quite some time so I will probably go at least try to see the total eclipse. 

14 hours ago, 52520Andrew said:

Solar Eclipse coming this August. Gonna be partial in Maryland but a total eclipse a few hours south

This might be worth taking some time off work.

15 hours ago, 52520Andrew said:

can you link to more specifics? I'm curious what the view in my area of Florida will be. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Key word(s) in that article - according to crackpot theorists 

Even the crap media outlet like Sun could not get around mentioning that NASA says it will be 32 million miles from the Earth, hardly on a collision course.

Just now, allblackraven said:

Key word(s) in that article - according to crackpot theorists 

Even the crap media outlet like Sun could not get around mentioning that NASA says it will be 32 million miles from the Earth, hardly on a collision course.

haha yea.  i had a better article on phone but cant find it now

41 minutes ago, Purple Nurple said:

A smaller one just passed between us and the Moon just two days ago. They didn't even see it until a couple days before it passed by us. Nuts.

http://www.space.com/35551-newfound-asteroid-2017-bs32-earth-flyby-webcast.html

Lets say a mass extinction asteroid was headed our way, does the government tell us?  It would be mass hysteria

20 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Lets say a mass extinction asteroid was headed our way, does the government tell us?  It would be mass hysteria

Its certainly interesting thinking about how the whole thing would go down. WikiLeaks with the whistle blowing lol.

2 hours ago, usmccharles said:

I doubt it but at the end of the day there isn't much we can do anyways. Just hope you could survive long enough to see the impact winter and at that point you would probably die of hunger anyways

1 hour ago, 52520Andrew said:

I doubt it but at the end of the day there isn't much we can do anyways. Just hope you could survive long enough to see the impact winter and at that point you would probably die of hunger anyways

In that case, would just as soon go out in the first wave.  Starving seems pretty nasty.

17 hours ago, Moderator 3 said:

In that case, would just as soon go out in the first wave.  Starving seems pretty nasty.

Yeah they don't call these types of impacts mass extinction events for nothing, better just to not think about it as there isn't much we can do anyways

On 2/5/2017 at 3:21 AM, 52520Andrew said:

NASA and ESA (european space agency) are working on AIDA, which is a project, where the crash a rocket on an astroid to alter his course.
They plan to send the rocket in 2020:

So they are working on it, no need to send Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis

53 minutes ago, feel_the_rush said:

NASA and ESA (european space agency) are working on AIDA, which is a project, where the crash a rocket on an astroid to alter his course.
They plan to send the rocket in 2020:

So they are working on it, no need to send Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis

Yeah that could be huge but right now we are still a sitting duck

On 2/5/2017 at 0:50 AM, usmccharles said:

Maybe not, but there are more countries with space observations.
So I am certain that one of those space agencies gonna pop the news on a world-destroying asteroid

18 minutes ago, feel_the_rush said:

Maybe not, but there are more countries with space observations.
So I am certain that one of those space agencies gonna pop the news on a world-destroying asteroid

I would think so as well or some scientist involved would spill the news. 

On 4.2.2017 at 6:50 PM, usmccharles said:

Which government? China might try to keep something like that from their people...

Seriously though, I don't know if the US gov would inform us about it as much as they would confirm it.  

If the asteroid was that big I'd imagine lots of amateur astronomers would notice even if the govvies tried to keep it hush hush.

3 hours ago, darklight1216 said:

Which government? China might try to keep something like that from their people...

Seriously though, I don't know if the US gov would inform us about it as much as they would confirm it.  

If the asteroid was that big I'd imagine lots of amateur astronomers would notice even if the govvies tried to keep it hush hush.

Yea i was mainly talking about the U.S. gov.  If they tried to cover it up, i think someone would let it slip out. 

This would tell you a lot about your goverment, but what would actually be better?

Telling the people they will die and risk the collapse of society OR just keep it quiet 

I think (similar to "The day after tomorrow") some scientist or members of the government will spoil it, by telling their families
so I will go with the first option

44 minutes ago, feel_the_rush said:

This would tell you a lot about your goverment, but what would actually be better?

Telling the people they will die and risk the collapse of society OR just keep it quiet 

I think (similar to "The day after tomorrow") some scientist or members of the government will spoil it, by telling their families
so I will go with the first option

I definitely think it would be better not for the world to know.  It would me mass chaos

6 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

I definitely think it would be better not for the world to know.  It would me mass chaos

I disagree, just imagine your doctor not telling you, you have lethal cancer.
Give the people a benefit of the doubt that they will use the last months wisley

1 minute ago, feel_the_rush said:

I disagree, just imagine your doctor not telling you, you have lethal cancer.
Give the people a benefit of the doubt that they will use the last months wisley

I understand what your saying, but i just think there would be mass riots, killings, etc...

6 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

I understand what your saying, but i just think there would be mass riots, killings, etc...

It is tough, hopefully the AIDA project to disrupt astroids will be a success.
Then the astroids only have to be detected early on, where we need better telescopes on better places (on Mars maybe?)

On February 6, 2017 at 8:14 PM, usmccharles said:

So what,,,If were gonna die let everybody just kill each other.