usmccharles

Everything Science

109 posts in this topic

Lately there has been some decent topics about science stuff, a lot of space stuff which some of you know i can be a big nerd about.  So lets make this a thread about everything that pertains to science, space, technology, etc...

Here is a link about a privatized company wanting to send people to Mars....on a one way trip.  Some very interesting things here.    http://www.mars-one.com/

Here is a link for another privatized space company founded by someone i think is amazing, reminds me of a modern day Tesla, of course i am speaking about Elon musk and his ways of looking into the future.  http://www.spacex.com/

Here is a topic i started about Nasa finding over 1000 new planets, good stuff. 

So guys, lets have some good intellectual conversations, opinion based discussions.  We can bring back the alien talk: did they build pyramids? Is Roswell responsible for our tech boom, etc....As Bart Scott would say....Cant wait!

Lol, I was trying to bait people into the whole aliens built the pyramids thing...no, they didn't. We know exactly how it was built, by whom, where they mined the stones and how they transported the stones. We've actually known all that for quite some time.

Most interesting to me lately was the planet NASA found a couple months ago. Only 4.2 LY from our solar system, good chance it is habitable:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/24/health/proxima-b-centauri-rocky-planet-habitable-zone-neighbor-star/

53 minutes ago, flynismo said:

Lol, I was trying to bait people into the whole aliens built the pyramids thing...no, they didn't. We know exactly how it was built, by whom, where they mined the stones and how they transported the stones. We've actually known all that for quite some time.

Most interesting to me lately was the planet NASA found a couple months ago. Only 4.2 LY from our solar system, good chance it is habitable:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/24/health/proxima-b-centauri-rocky-planet-habitable-zone-neighbor-star/

Yea I was just stating random things, seeing if anyone wants to throw their theories out there.  @Steve0x started a thread about Proxima-B, good read, I love stuff like that.  hopefully we can get this thread going.

Weather is a science for the most part so figure this is more appropriate over here. Hurricane Matthew has now passed Haiti and about to pass Cuba on it's way to the Bahamas and potentially a brush with the southeast U.S. It may or may not make landfall but could affect areas from West Palm Beach all the way up to the Outer Banks. Seems to be holding together alright over Haiti and Cuba although it has weakened a decent amount. Could reorganize over some very warm waters in the Bahamas and could be a bad one for them. One to watch

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 3:29 PM, flynismo said:

Who built the ones in the jungles of Brazil? Where did they get the stones for the ones in Egypt? How many years did it take? How did they build those underwater ones off the coast of Japan? How come all thru the world they were built pretty much the same? Why were they built and what were they used for? Just being curious.     

5 hours ago, Willbacker said:

Who built the ones in the jungles of Brazil? Where did they get the stones for the ones in Egypt? How many years did it take? How did they build those underwater ones off the coast of Japan? How come all thru the world they were built pretty much the same? Why were they built and what were they used for? Just being curious.     

I know a one of these for sure and the answer for what the pyramids were used for (at least in Egypt) is that they were an ancient burial ground for the queens and pharaohs (difficult word to spell). They aren't all huge like we see in the movies. They actually came in varying shapes and sizes and I believe they were buried with their riches as well and booby traps were put all through the pyramids. Why were they buried with their riches? I cannot answer, but Egyptian mythology probably had something about carrying on their riches to the next life. 

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but the ones in Japan being under water is probably due to change in sea levels. If they were built thousands of years ago, oceans could have swallowed them up as the sea levels got higher. It's how we have underwater volcanoes, I believe.

I would assume that many have watched the Matrix movie, or is aware of the idea that we are all living in some kind of computer simulation.

Have you ever heard of the Mandela Effect.  I am not saying I believe it, but it certainly is interesting that many people around the world recall historical facts that are different from how it truly occurred.  Is it that our minds store memories in a way that can be recalled different from reality on a mass scale due to a collective subconscious or is it due to medium (media) flashing images or thoughts into our heads?

On 2016-10-06 at 10:26 AM, Willbacker said:

1: Ancient indians, not sure if they have a name for that people really, they were also constructed under a very long time span.

2: Mostly from nearby quarries, they´re primarily made out of limestone. there are several interresting documentaries about how they built them, how they transported the huge stones etc.

3: I´m not sure if anyone knows and my guess is it varies alot depending on size obviously, and also lot of other factors like slaves and the pharaoh and so on.

4: If they were indeed wholly or partly man made (still debating it as far as I know) it´s no real mystery, sea levels have risen and fallen over the years, istosasy in some form seems likely. There are other "sunken cities" around the world, and more will probably be found too.

5: They weren´t really. The ones you mention in Brazil for example are very different from the egyptian ones.

6: Almost exclusivley for various religious reasons, and sometimes scientific aswell. In the case of Egypt BmoreBird22 has written the explanation, graves.

Otherwise I suggest google or youtube, there are plenty on these subjects for curious people. :)

18 hours ago, bosso_fataka said:

1: Ancient indians, not sure if they have a name for that people really, they were also constructed under a very long time span.

2: Mostly from nearby quarries, they´re primarily made out of limestone. there are several interresting documentaries about how they built them, how they transported the huge stones etc.

3: I´m not sure if anyone knows and my guess is it varies alot depending on size obviously, and also lot of other factors like slaves and the pharaoh and so on.

4: If they were indeed wholly or partly man made (still debating it as far as I know) it´s no real mystery, sea levels have risen and fallen over the years, istosasy in some form seems likely. There are other "sunken cities" around the world, and more will probably be found too.

5: They weren´t really. The ones you mention in Brazil for example are very different from the egyptian ones.

6: Almost exclusivley for various religious reasons, and sometimes scientific aswell. In the case of Egypt BmoreBird22 has written the explanation, graves.

Otherwise I suggest google or youtube, there are plenty on these subjects for curious people. :)

It is not allowed on this thread to give realistic answers. Its just not very scientific. :)

I do disagree with your answer to #5 since the ones in Brazil I believe were not completely made out of stone and have fallen apart. I mean a pyramid is a pyramid and that is the way scientists believe they were shaped by looking at all the evidence on the foundations and the base of it. The ones in Japan were also pyramid like but its amazing how cultures in the past who had no connection built these structures in the same likement. The spaceing  of how all these structures were built is also unique and there is just no explanation as to why plus there is no concrete explanation or 100% proof on anything. Just basic realism

2 hours ago, Willbacker said:

It is not allowed on this thread to give realistic answers. Its just not very scientific. :)

I do disagree with your answer to #5 since the ones in Brazil I believe were not completely made out of stone and have fallen apart. I mean a pyramid is a pyramid and that is the way scientists believe they were shaped by looking at all the evidence on the foundations and the base of it. The ones in Japan were also pyramid like but its amazing how cultures in the past who had no connection built these structures in the same likement. The spaceing  of how all these structures were built is also unique and there is just no explanation as to why plus there is no concrete explanation or 100% proof on anything. Just basic realism

Haha, I thought that´s exactly what it was? :)

Yeah, I think they very in large made out of sea shells, nad often it seems they were being built on in decades. But that whole process does make it very different from the egyptian ones.

It is fascinating yes. But I always looked at it this way; We´re all human beings from the same origin populating the same world. It´s not that strange that what is discovered to work in one place for that species is also discovered to work elsewhere by other members of that species. With differencies of course, but the basic conecpt of pyramid-like building makes a lot of sense if youre intent on building something very large (and don´t have modern alloys and such at your disposal).

Simply put, a wheel is a wheel everywhere since that´s what works best if you want to move something heavy from point A to B. Therefore it follows that lot´s of civilazationswill have had wheels in different forms and shapes, independent from each other.

But I agree, it is fascinating all this. And I wish we heard more about the newly discovered ancient civilazations than we do.

If you aren't familiar with the Drake Equation, it is an equation created by astronomer Frank Drake back in the 60s used to calculate the number of civilizations containing intelligent life in the universe.

If you plug any reasonable, conservative values in for each variable, you end up with a positively enormous amount of intelligent life throughout the cosmos.

Why have we not found any of these civilizations yet?

1 hour ago, flynismo said:

If you aren't familiar with the Drake Equation, it is an equation created by astronomer Frank Drake back in the 60s used to calculate the number of civilizations containing intelligent life in the universe.

If you plug any reasonable, conservative values in for each variable, you end up with a positively enormous amount of intelligent life throughout the cosmos.

Why have we not found any of these civilizations yet?

Possible answers:

- We don't have the technology

- We're waiting for them to find us

I was a biochemistry major, so if you all have any questions on anything chemistry, biology, or biochemistry related, send them my way and I can try to break them down in such a way that's not too difficult.

2 minutes ago, Moderator 3 said:

Possible answers:

- We don't have the technology

- We're waiting for them to find us

I think we can eliminate the second one, since we are actively seeking them out.

The first one could play a large role in that. I mean if we think about it, we have no clue how they communicate. Perhaps radio is an archaic technology that has been outdated for thousands of years to them and they use methods unthinkable to us; maybe they communicate through beams of light, maybe they use no technology at all.

There's the Fermi Paradox https://mic.com/articles/122857/fermi-paradox-explained-why-alien-life-hasnt-found-us-yet#.QI7iambjT and the Great Filter which is also mentioned in that article; a great read for anyone not already familiar with them.

7 hours ago, flynismo said:

I think we can eliminate the second one, since we are actively seeking them out.

The first one could play a large role in that. I mean if we think about it, we have no clue how they communicate. Perhaps radio is an archaic technology that has been outdated for thousands of years to them and they use methods unthinkable to us; maybe they communicate through beams of light, maybe they use no technology at all.

There's the Fermi Paradox https://mic.com/articles/122857/fermi-paradox-explained-why-alien-life-hasnt-found-us-yet#.QI7iambjT and the Great Filter which is also mentioned in that article; a great read for anyone not already familiar with them.

I just dont think we have the technology to find anyone yet, We cant even make it to Mars.  To E.Ts, contact with us might be as irrelevant as one of us traveling to Africa to go say hi to a specific ant hill to just turn around.  Yea, i watched contact recently. 

On 10/14/2016 at 2:48 PM, Willbacker said:

The structures in Brazil are much newer than the Egyptian pyramids. Some holes are now being poked into the explanation for how the pyramids were built. New explanations are now being examined.

6 hours ago, PurpleHorseman said:

The structures in Brazil are much newer than the Egyptian pyramids. Some holes are now being poked into the explanation for how the pyramids were built. New explanations are now being examined.

Yeah, they're saying that "aliens had to help them"  :lolpoof:

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:13 PM, Moderator 3 said:

Couldn't find it in the sky (darn trees), but caught the replay on NASA TV.  So happy to see a successful launch.

All I seen was a red dot.

5 hours ago, The Mom Gene said:

Yeah, they're saying that "aliens had to help them"  :lolpoof:

Nonbeliever.

On 19/10/2016 at 8:10 AM, BmoreBird22 said:

I was a biochemistry major, so if you all have any questions on anything chemistry, biology, or biochemistry related, send them my way and I can try to break them down in such a way that's not too difficult.

Has the relative lack of natural selection and proliferation of recessive genes doomed the human race?

Also, are autoimmune diseases caused and/or exacerbated by excessive vaccinations and antibodies? 

Also could it be possible to develop a preventative Tommy John type surgery to prevent knee injuries?

On 10/18/2016 at 6:10 PM, BmoreBird22 said:

How do you make nitroglycerin? lol

Edited by Rav'n Maniac

On 21/10/2016 at 3:53 PM, PurpleHorseman said:

Franz Lohners theory is the only one Ive seen that makes sense.