• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
757RavensFan

2016-2017 Coaching Carousel

362 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, JO_75 said:

It's not just Lynch, but Kyle Shanahan is getting a 6 year deal as well. Tying them both together but man if they get fired after 2-3 years, Jed will still be paying them for another 3-4 years.

LOL I hope. Take it out of the pockets of that oversized child. Except he gets it from innocent fans and revenue-sharing.

I may be out of the loop but has Lynch even had any coaching or front office experience? I do not recall hearing anything from Lynch since he retired. 

On 1/31/2017 at 5:45 AM, Rebel Raven said:

I may be out of the loop but has Lynch even had any coaching or front office experience? I do not recall hearing anything from Lynch since he retired. 

He calls games for Fox, I think. That's about it. Kyle Shanahan probably just wants full reign on the team like his daddy did.

2 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Very interesting to not have seen Kelly here, but I'd love for Kelly to come over to the Ravens in some capacity.

I'm just surprised that they passed on hiring their QB Coach Matt LaFleur who ended up taking the job in Los Angeles as the Rams OC. I figured they want someone who was under Kyle with the same system. Going to be interesting what their offense will look like under Sarkisian next year.

1 minute ago, JO_75 said:

I'm just surprised that they passed on hiring their QB Coach Matt LaFleur who ended up taking the job in Los Angeles as the Rams OC. I figured they want someone who was under Kyle with the same system. Going to be interesting what their offense will look like under Sarkisian next year.

I semi-understand since LaFleur has one year of OC experience at Ashland and McVay will likely call the plays in LA, but I'm really surprised by going to Sarkesian.

18 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

That is real interesting as he was about to take over at Alabama. I wonder what they will do now.

Something was brewing at Alabama already - they named Locksley offensive co-coordinator just after Shanahan was all but announced as 49ers HC. Seems like everybody was just waiting for SB to be done and dusted to release this news.

2 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Very interesting to not have seen Kelly here, but I'd love for Kelly to come over to the Ravens in some capacity.

Really? He has some good concepts but look what he did to the Eagles when he got full control there.

I know the concept is to Kelly-proof the team, similar to baby-proofing the house, but I don't think Harbaugh has ever really let someone like that on his staff.

1 hour ago, berad said:

Really? He has some good concepts but look what he did to the Eagles when he got full control there.

I know the concept is to Kelly-proof the team, similar to baby-proofing the house, but I don't think Harbaugh has ever really let someone like that on his staff.

I love Kelly's offensive philosophy. If you manage the team for him, I think he can be a great offensive coordinator.

4 hours ago, berad said:

He should never be in control of personnel decisions, but in terms of just offensive design and playcalling he was great in Philly. He made Nick Foles look like a star qb in his system.

He kinda reminds me of Rex in a way. Great mind for one side of the ball, but should never be a head coach at the NFL level.

1 minute ago, RaineV1 said:

He should never be in control of personnel decisions, but in terms of just offensive design and playcalling he was great in Philly. He made Nick Foles look like a star qb in his system.

He kinda reminds me of Rex in a way. Great mind for one side of the ball, but should never be a head coach at the NFL level.

Hard to resist the offer

The Falcons coaching staff will be overhauled in 2017, after a Super Bowl run this year they look to make another run with a different coaching staff. Falcons Defensive Coordinator Richard Smith will not return as Defensive Coordinator because... he's to blame for the poor clock management? Also their defensive line coach also won't be returning. A full list of Falcons coaching changes......

- New Offensive Coordinator(Shanahan left to become Head Coach of the 49ers)

- New Defensive Coordinator(Fired)

- New Defensive Line Coordinator(Will be dismissed)

- New QB Coach(Matt LaFleur is now OC for the Rams)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/08/report-richard-smith-wont-return-as-falcons-defensive-coordinator/

15 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I love Kelly's offensive philosophy. If you manage the team for him, I think he can be a great offensive coordinator.

12 hours ago, RaineV1 said:

But would he go somewhere when he can't have significant input into players he wants to target? A set up like that would seem to hamper both sides.

8 minutes ago, berad said:

But would he go somewhere when he can't have significant input into players he wants to target? A set up like that would seem to hamper both sides.

I think he would. He was willing to go to Jax where Coughlin will control all of that.

Just now, berad said:

I think he might, since it's not like his phone is blowing up with people wanting him to be a head coach at the moment.

Ian Rapoport tweeting that Kyle Shanahan will not hire an actual offensive coordinator, just relying on his position coaches while he calls the plays and 'coordinates'. He's also working as the defacto GM because Lynch is way over his head.

This reeks of Chip Kelly 2.0

'It's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off for 'em'

Pat McManamon ESPN Staff Writer 

mcmanamon_pat_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

The Browns will soon announce that they have hired David Lee as quarterback coach. Lee was the Bills' QB coach the last two seasons. This move will do little to diminish talk about the very real chance that the Browns will try to sign Tyrod Taylor if the Bills release him.

Looks like we might see Tyrod again next year.  We will see.

12 hours ago, JO_75 said:

The Falcons coaching staff will be overhauled in 2017, after a Super Bowl run this year they look to make another run with a different coaching staff. Falcons Defensive Coordinator Richard Smith will not return as Defensive Coordinator because... he's to blame for the poor clock management? Also their defensive line coach also won't be returning. A full list of Falcons coaching changes......

- New Offensive Coordinator(Shanahan left to become Head Coach of the 49ers)

- New Defensive Coordinator(Fired)

- New Defensive Line Coordinator(Will be dismissed)

- New QB Coach(Matt LaFleur is now OC for the Rams)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/08/report-richard-smith-wont-return-as-falcons-defensive-coordinator/

I imagine the Falcons are in for a rough ride next season. That generally happens to Super Bowl losers, and their franchise isn't exactly a model of consistency. Plus their division tends to change leaders a lot I believe. Add all the coaching changes on top and it's going to be an uphill battle... but then I guess every season is tough. 

22 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I think he can do well scoring points but one of my big problems with his up tempo scheme is that it leaves the defense out to dry. Kinda funny how as soon as Kelly leaves, the Eagles suddenly become a lot better on defense although Schwartz does deserve credit on that front as well.

4 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

I think he can do well scoring points but one of my big problems with his up tempo scheme is that it leaves the defense out to dry. Kinda funny how as soon as Kelly leaves, the Eagles suddenly become a lot better on defense although Schwartz does deserve credit on that front as well.

I think I read he only ran no huddle like 60% of the time and didn't even lead the league in that category. I think some of the defense part is they were an explosive offense that scored on big plays.

1 minute ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I think I read he only ran no huddle like 60% of the time and didn't even lead the league in that category. I think some of the defense part is they were an explosive offense that scored on big plays.

They were pretty quick off the snap compared to most NFL teams. Maybe he toned it down a bit towards the end but I remember the defense would be playing more snaps than average and the time of possession was pretty bad. 

2 hours ago, 52520Andrew said:

They were pretty quick off the snap compared to most NFL teams. Maybe he toned it down a bit towards the end but I remember the defense would be playing more snaps than average and the time of possession was pretty bad. 

I don't think he's always go-go-go, but I know he very much looks for the explosive scoring play above all else.

It wasn't only the no-huddle style though, the were snapping the ball very quickly in general. Probably because his QBs were never that good and he just eliminated some of the usual pre snap reads to make it easier for them. All in all I think he could work as an OC, kind of like Rex. (I like that comparison a lot actually), but he'd need a strong head coach who can sort of control him in a way. Otherwise I think I'd just lead to the D being gassed all the time...

47 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I don't think he's always go-go-go, but I know he very much looks for the explosive scoring play above all else.

Yeah I mean he managed to make Foles and Sanchez look respectable so that does take some skill

Just now, 52520Andrew said:

Yeah I mean he managed to make Foles and Sanchez look respectable so that does take some skill

Foles had some absurdly explosive plays. I still remember that six (seven?) touchdown game. Ridiculous 

3 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Foles had some absurdly explosive plays. I still remember that six (seven?) touchdown game. Ridiculous 

I think he had like 24 TDs and 2 ints, it was pretty crazy