757RavensFan

Kamalei Correa - thoughts

273 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

He spent all camp and the first preseason game at ILB, and moved to the outside for the rest of the preseason games and the little bit of action he did see on defense in the regular season.  I'm guessing they saw enough to form the opinion that it wasn't going to work.  I'm fine with that as I thought he looked much better inside.  It's just disappointing that they draft a guy with the pass rush in mind and seemingly give up on that so soon.

Truth be told, I'm not overly surprised. For an OLB, he shifted to ILB a decent amount in college or at least more than you'd expect on average, so his versatility was a plus. With regards to the Clay Matthews comparison that was mentioned above, I didn't see it personally. I thought he was closer to Nick Perry, and that's not a meant as a lazy comparison because they both wore No.8 in college. I feel like he may bounce between the position in the upcoming season. The disappointment you mentioned is understandable. In either case, I do hope in a way that we initially drafted him to try him at OLB. There were a few ILB prospects selected after him I felt were pretty promising.

53 minutes ago, -Truth- said:

Truth be told, I'm not overly surprised. For an OLB, he shifted to ILB a decent amount in college or at least more than you'd expect on average, so his versatility was a plus. With regards to the Clay Matthews comparison that was mentioned above, I didn't see it personally. I thought he was closer to Nick Perry, and that's not a meant as a lazy comparison because they both wore No.8 in college. I feel like he may bounce between the position in the upcoming season. The disappointment you mentioned is understandable. In either case, I do hope in a way that we initially drafted him to try him at OLB. There were a few ILB prospects selected after him I felt were pretty promising.

Oh I wouldn't say I'm surprised either.  I was never big on him as a true pass rusher.  I'm more on the side of it being unfortunate that the team was drafting him as an edge guy who could also play inside, but now it seems the edge might not be much of a future for him.

1 hour ago, trevorsteadman said:

I agree it was disappointing seeing him run at full speed and get completely haulted by a non-moving lineman lol I actually died of laughter during the game when that has happened.

That was my first moment of fear for his future lol.  I was never completely sold on the pick in the first place, and it's still not over, but that moment right there wrapped up all of my fears.

4 hours ago, trevorsteadman said:

I feel like he played there more than at OLB. Honestly I felt coming out he would be a better fit anyway. The Ravens usually have bigger guys build like DEs playing OLB. He was ahead of Orr for a bit on the depth chart going into the season then eventually lost out. Orr probably didn't get all his talent over night which means I bet Correa is progressing better than a lot of people are giving him credit for as of now.

My thoughts exactly. 

Although im a little surprised theyarent even giving him a look at OLB...

3 hours ago, rmw10 said:

That was my first moment of fear for his future lol.  I was never completely sold on the pick in the first place, and it's still not over, but that moment right there wrapped up all of my fears.

What game was this? I missed it entirely.

2 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Although im a little surprised theyarent even giving him a look at OLB...

We may still see him in a Von Miller role. Stand up backer in base and 3rd down rusher.

11 minutes ago, The Raven said:

We may still see him in a Von Miller role. Stand up backer in base and 3rd down rusher.

Is this more funny or sad?

8 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

Is this more funny or sad?

Uh, neither? Just a valid use of a linebacker without the ability to be a full time MLB or a full time OLB. I mean I guess we could say it's sad since we expected him to be a full time outside guy but..

1 minute ago, The Raven said:

Uh, neither? Just a valid use of a linebacker without the ability to be a full time MLB or a full time OLB. I mean I guess we could say it's sad since we expected him to be a full time outside guy but..

That's fine, I just couldn't decide how to feel seeing Miller and KC in the same sentence (and the same role)

1 hour ago, allblackraven said:

That's fine, I just couldn't decide how to feel seeing Miller and KC in the same sentence (and the same role)

For future reference, ability =/= role. There is an obvious difference between skill and skill set.

Edited by The Raven

I'm not sure that Miller's role is an apt comparison. He's played almost entirely as a 3-4 OLB last season in Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme. Even before that, he was a SAM in a 4-3 Under playing next to Derek Wolfe in a virtually identical role. I'd compare the description more to what Jatavis Brown did in San Diego, playing inside and then on the edge on 3rd downs.

I think a team like the saints , vikings, Dolphins would make good use of Correa but we don't play a 3-4 im not sure where he fits in.

2 hours ago, Static said:

I think a team like the saints , vikings, Dolphins would make good use of Correa but we don't play a 3-4 im not sure where he fits in.

We do play a 3-4....

21 hours ago, trevorsteadman said:

I agree it was disappointing seeing him run at full speed and get completely haulted by a non-moving lineman lol I actually died of laughter during the game when that has happened.

I still have yet to see this

my biggest problem is even if he is converted to an ILB, he does not have the speed to be a WIll. Mosley is the MIKE now, he struggled a little as the Will when we had Smith playing the Mike. Both struggled with deep drops. Mosley has improved in that regard, but you cant put Correa next to him. We would get eatin up by TE's or WR's and Back flexed in the slot. Or have to rely on sub packages too much. OLB is where he should stay. He can work on his hands and upper body strength. He has a good lower body and good bend. We do have one of the best linebackers coaches around, so if Wink thinks he can play inside or out, im not doubting that. He is not a coach I worry about.

I know no one likes the idea that Correa practices and plays hard but the Ravens need some nasty back in the defense. No one fears us like they used to. We need his mean streak on the field.

1 minute ago, nextgen_RavensFan said:

I know no one likes the idea that Correa practices and plays hard but the Ravens need some nasty back in the defense. No one fears us like they used to. We need his mean streak on the field.

That's going to be hard considering he cant even make It on the field

2 hours ago, usmccharles said:

I still have yet to see this

I wanna say it happened vs jax at the end of the game, it was freaking hilarious. 

Man I wish that was gif'ed and made permanent

Just now, JoeyFlex5 said:

I wanna say it happened vs jax at the end of the game, it was freaking hilarious. 

Man I wish that was gif'ed and made permanent

Im at work and cant access youtube.  let me know if you find it

2 hours ago, TorryGundy said:

my biggest problem is even if he is converted to an ILB, he does not have the speed to be a WIll. Mosley is the MIKE now, he struggled a little as the Will when we had Smith playing the Mike. Both struggled with deep drops. Mosley has improved in that regard, but you cant put Correa next to him. We would get eatin up by TE's or WR's and Back flexed in the slot. Or have to rely on sub packages too much. OLB is where he should stay. He can work on his hands and upper body strength. He has a good lower body and good bend. We do have one of the best linebackers coaches around, so if Wink thinks he can play inside or out, im not doubting that. He is not a coach I worry about.

Have you seen his college tape? If there's one thing he doesn't lack it's speed and explosiveness. 

2 hours ago, TorryGundy said:

I read that when he played inside linebacker in college he struggled.  

4 hours ago, trevorsteadman said:

We do play a 3-4....

I meant 4-3 , apologizes. 

I'm going to keep an optimistically open mind when it comes to Correa.

He'll have all offseason now, with guidance from the coaching staff, to prepare for 2017. What position they want him in, what changes they want him to make to his body (add bulk, lose bulk, gain explosion, whatever) to fit one position or the other... and all that time to study it.

We could see a different Correa from the one we saw in 2016. It's just a matter of the coaching staff figuring out how best to use his athleticism; and him putting in the work to get his body right, and to learn whatever role they see him in.

Is not having a clearly defined role for Correa holding him back? Ok in LB duties, but a master at nothing?

Does this fall on the coaching staff, to equip him with clear direction at a future starting role on this team?

What exactly did we draft him so highly to do?

Does his development fall on Pees now? Otherwise, why even draft him so high? 

Again, getting back to Pees, master of the defensive scheme, others banged on us for lack of playmakers, lack of speed and explosiveness on defense, yet here we have a guy with those attributes, and he barely sees the field? 

i think that correa is gonna find his role and be very good at it eventually, what that role is and when does that happen? no idea. but this guy is too athletically gifted, hard working, passionate, and smart to just be an outright failure. maybe well always call him a bust because he doesnt edge rush, but if he becomes a good player anywhere im not calling him a bust, just like i wouldnt call upshaw a bust.

Hopefully Correa will find his way onto the field next season. He seems to have the physical skills even though he could gain some strength. His problem appears to be the lack of a good football IQ. He takes himself out of position to make the play.

I stand corrected. I went back and looked at all his draft profiles and everyone from Mayock, to draft scout to the hacks at CBS all said he's a 3/4 OLB that will need to develop. Possibly they see him as the replacement for Doom? Similar skill set. 

1 hour ago, terrynjulia03 said:

I stand corrected. I went back and looked at all his draft profiles and everyone from Mayock, to draft scout to the hacks at CBS all said he's a 3/4 OLB that will need to develop. Possibly they see him as the replacement for Doom? Similar skill set. 

it was a hot topic around here that he could end up a ILB long before we even heard that he was converted there in TC. 

i want him to pan out as an OLB badly, his potential is huge there, but its an uphill climb. hes undersized there and extremely underdeveloped, hes got a lottttt of work to do. i think hes probably most likely to play ILB this year and i think he will end up being decent there, and he will end up staying there. 

19 hours ago, Somerset Ravens said:

Hopefully Correa will find his way onto the field next season. He seems to have the physical skills even though he could gain some strength. His problem appears to be the lack of a good football IQ. He takes himself out of position to make the play.

I think you hit on something here.

We were very fortunate to have Ray and Ed all those years with the highest football IQ's of any defensive players ever.

It did not happen overnight, but from endless film study of opposing QB's and offensive tendencies, putting themselves in correct position to make plays.

Lets face it, the great players get back from the game, what they put into it, and truly reap the rewards, accolades, and championships that go with the hard work off the field. 

Lets hope Correa takes his job seriously, and can make the mental aspect of his game rival the physicality of his game, and good things will be certain to come.