757RavensFan

Kamalei Correa - thoughts

273 posts in this topic

What's your initial thoughts on Kamalei Correa being active but not seeing a single snap on defense?

That's pretty disheartening for a 2nd round pick.  

I fear Correa is a guy without a true position - at least right now.  I never liked the move to ILB, but I was at least encouraged by the reports of how well he was doing.  Of course, that seemingly turned out to be a combination of media talk and camp not telling the full story.  Hopefully with him spending much more time outside, he can develop in that area and really focus on his pass rush.  He was always a good bet to need quite a bit of development, so I won't be surprised if he plays few defensive snaps this year.  The good thing is that there have been flashes in preseason play.

Edited by rmw10

Id be more concerned if we werent getting good play from the positions he could potentially fill, but since we are im not worried.

Both Mosley and Orr played really well, and McLellan, Suggs, Z and Judon played well. The only area of real improvement is from OLB's setting the edge and playing the run - neither of which are really Correa's strength.

So right now, i think its just a matter of guys in front of him playing well. I think we'll see him have a role as things progress and as the game plan changes. We need discipline from the edge in this game to not let Tyrod out of the pocket... and Orr Mosley are playing too well to need to take them off the field. Maybe with more of a pocket passer we'll see some of Correa either blitzing from ILB or speed rushing off the edge... but this just wasnt his time.

Not concerned bc he was always going to need to develop.

He needs work but I thought he needed work when we drafted him.  He's from Boise State and those guys tend to require quite a bit of coaching. I'll admit he wasn't my favorite pick but he's got the athleticism to become a true player. Let's hope he has the head for it unlike Arthur Brown, who also had a ton of athleticism but didn't know how to use it.  

2 minutes ago, GrimCoconut said:

He needs work but I thought he needed work when we drafted him.  He's from Boise State and those guys tend to require quite a bit of coaching. I'll admit he wasn't my favorite pick but he's got the athleticism to become a true player. Let's hope he has the head for it unlike Arthur Brown, who also had a ton of athleticism but didn't know how to use it.  

I can say that unlike Brown, he understands coverage fairly well. So he'll definitely do better than Brown.

1 minute ago, RaineV1 said:

I can say that unlike Brown, he understands coverage fairly well. So he'll definitely do better than Brown.

It's not really hard to do better than Brown, though. I also wouldn't say he'll definitely do better, either. I'm sure people thought Brown would definitely do better than Gooden but that clearly didn't happen.  Fact is Correa hasn't proved anything yet on defense not even in the preseason.  I'm pulling for him but make no mistake he could easily never make an impact. Then again, to be fair people said the same thing about Perriman and he's starting to show off. I definitely think Correa can do it, though.  

Its really just a lack of need for him right now. He wouldn't serve as anything more than a reserve ILB to rotate with Orr and Mosley (Who themselves played extremely well) seeing as we are super stacked at OLB (Suggs, Doom, Judon, ZDS, McClellan). I know I saw him on special teams, so at least he is seeing the field. Have him work on tackling and at least keep the confidence in knowing he have a somewhat decent reserve in Correa

look..pretty sure the FO panic picked him because they wanted a pass rusher. Certain now in hindsight they would have picked someone else. It happens..

22 minutes ago, RaineV1 said:

How does he understand coverage fairly well? From games at Boise State? 

5 minutes ago, redlobster said:

How does he understand coverage fairly well? From games at Boise State? 

He was used as a slot corner surprisingly often at Boise and showed good instincts and movement in coverage. 

He also was always in good position in coverage in preseason. His shortcomings came when he was engaged up near the LOS or in the backfield.

Correa was active for special teams, which was a positive.  

Like many NFL players, he'll probably get his first big chance from an injury.

8 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

Correa was active for special teams, which was a positive.  

Like many NFL players, he'll probably get his first big chance from an injury.

Yep. What makes it tough for Correa is Mosley, Orr, McClellan, and his versatility. He's not McPhee, who could play edge and interior pass rusher. He's clearly behind McClellan and Smith. Mosley and Orr aren't coming off the field for him to play ILB. Then you have Levine as our dime. He's also not any better than any of those guys, and he needs work with technique, which I felt was his issue coming out of Boise State. 

I feel like he just isn't ready yet, and that's fine. It would have been nice to see him with Dumervil out, but the position is fine with Suggs, McClellan, ZSmith and Judon. He'd probably be getting more time on defense as an outside guy if he hadn't been competing with Orr all preseason for an inside spot. I don't think we should calling him Arthur Brown yet. 

1 hour ago, Sami84 said:

look..pretty sure the FO panic picked him because they wanted a pass rusher. Certain now in hindsight they would have picked someone else. It happens..

I'm pretty damn sure that they wanted Ragland. Bills knew it too. 

Said that, I think it's way too soon to give up on him. 

Just now, elemento said:

actually ragland would have been a poor pick also.

Joey Thuney has looked flat out awesome and he would have a been a great pick in the 2nd or 3rd and def looks more pro ready than alex lewis.

Just because a 2nd round pick isn't playing on defense in his first game doesn't mean he's going to be a disappointment.  He was playing on ST, and with McClellan, Orr and Mosely at ILB (all now on their 3rd+ year with the team) and Suggs, Smith, McClellan (all with 2+ seasons with the team) , I don't really see how this would be much of a surprise.  KC was also learning 2 different positions during training camp.

I think patience is the key with Correa.  If at this point next year, he's still not playing many defensive snaps then maybe we'll have some reason to be concerned with the pick.

A team's 1st round pick needs to be good enough to start, but I don't think the same is true of a 2nd round pick. However,  Matt Judon saw snaps on defense. Is it possible Judon is doing what they expected Correa to do?

2 hours ago, Sami84 said:

Pretty sure you don't trade back a couple times when you're in panic mode.

2 hours ago, ERey said:

A team's 1st round pick needs to be good enough to start, but I don't think the same is true of a 2nd round pick. However,  Matt Judon saw snaps on defense. Is it possible Judon is doing what they expected Correa to do?

Interesting way of looking at things but that is quote possible.   I'd love to know who the FO's originally intended to draft, not saying it wasn't KC, in the 2nd round. 

I would have been thrilled with Sterling Shepard and that isn't hindsight is 20/20 either.  I loved him from the start of the offseason.  That being said, KC has plenty of time before we start calling him a bust.

Edited by RavensFanMania

6 hours ago, elemento said:

Kevin Dodd perhaps.. 

1 hour ago, TurkishRaven said:

Cravens looking good. We could have picked him too.. 2nd round pick should at least play imo.

Looking good? He look lost tonight against the Steelers... I really really wanted Cravens I wished the Ravens would draft a LB/S to play the role that Levine plays. But lets be honest, Levine is better right now. Cravens doenst know the calls... they tell him where to line up 

1 hour ago, Davesta said:

Kevin Dodd perhaps.. 

Dodd was the one I wanted on day two, but the Titans picked him shortly before us.

I also think that if we wanted Spence, we wouldn't have traded down at all. The FO doesn't screw around if they like someone enough.

I personally was looking for a day one starter on either side of the ball with a high second round pick but let it play out, what the FO and scouting department get paid the big $$ for.

Sure they have a plan for KC, like to think so anyway

Sit and learn behind Suggs and Doom for a year perhaps

8 hours ago, Davesta said:

Kevin Dodd perhaps.. 

Yeah, the Ravens didn't start trading back until Dodd was off the board.

I didn't remember seeing him, guess it makes sense  now if he didn't get a single defensive snap. 

Early camp reports seemed to rave about Correa, yet in the preseason I never noticed him.  

So I feel like that was typical Camp Hype in previous years Matt Elam, E.Monroe & R.Melvin were the recipients of that camp overhype award.  Now this doesn't mean Correa won't become a good player for the team, he's learning multiple positions within the defense, so he needs time. 

3 hours ago, RaineV1 said:

Yeah, the Ravens didn't start trading back until Dodd was off the board.

Dodd was unquestionably Our guy. 

They wouldn't have reached on ogbah, that was the only logical option. 

I was really mad when theey took dodd, he was one of my favorite players in the draft. If we traded back in the first and took him top 20 I wouldn't have batted an eye, but obviously I'm glad we didn't after seeing Stanley lol

14 hours ago, KBoum said:

Looking good? He look lost tonight against the Steelers... I really really wanted Cravens I wished the Ravens would draft a LB/S to play the role that Levine plays. But lets be honest, Levine is better right now. Cravens doenst know the calls... they tell him where to line up 

he seemed to be one of the few bright sparks TBH