Cillmatic

Honest predictions for the coming season

220 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, 757RavensFan said:

If I recall correctly, the schedule is usually released a week or two before the draft.  

Third Thursday of April is typically what they shoot for. Sometimes miss by a week or so.

11 hours ago, GrimCoconut said:

It sucks we play Washington at home. I'd rather have played them away for another home game. 

True but I'm not upset at all about our travel schedule. Furthest away is a 3-hour flight to Dallas, I believe. Far cry from last year with the back-to-back western region games (twice).

Even though we went away from the 'business trip' thing we did with weeks 1 and 2, we still went 0-4 in all of those games.

1 hour ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Its on a four year rotation with them. We last played them in 2012 in Washington (regular season).

We only play them once every 8 years in Baltimore. Last Ravens/Redskins home regular season game for us was in 2008.

Slightly unfortunate in the way the rotation fell, in that both of the nearest opponents in the NFC East (Philly and Washington) are on the same rotation.

Though if you remember, in 2012, we played Dallas and the Giants at home and traveled to Skins and Eagles, so we had two road games within about 100 miles or so. That was nice. We will see that again in 2020 (short of realignment).

Can't really complain though... coming off last years schedule of playing both West divisions, we only have one road game west of Ohio this year and 15 of 16 games are in the Eastern Time Zone. Basically as good as it gets.

I'm not complaining. I'm just saying it sucks lol. It seems like we agree so I assume you're just adding onto my comment.

Edited by GrimCoconut

6 hours ago, Tank 92 said:

This...... 

Even at week one of the season predictions are useless and more than speculative. So many variables and so much depends upon good/bad fortune.  

That said, it's always fun to give a WAG. Last year with a few breaks we would have been at least an 8 - 8 team, even with all of the injuries.  With any sort of good luck this season I think a record worse than 10  - 6 would be very surprising. 

yup.

we have no idea what the roster will look like in week 1.
no idea where everyone is that is coming back from an injury.
no idea who is going to be injured/suspended when its week 1.

if i go by the roster at this precise moment , i see a repeat of last season TBH.

Don't know about our record. Looking at the opponents, it seems many we think will be tough end up weak, and many that are supposed to be easy wins turn into surprise contenders. One thing I will say, I LOVE the travel (or lack there of) this season compared to last. Those early west coast double dips killed us last year. This year, only one trip outside the Eastern time zone. That's much better.

Because of that, I predict that we at least find our stride and consistency earlier this year.

Edited by beanfigger
Upgrade

1 hour ago, Tru11 said:

yup.

we have no idea what the roster will look like in week 1.
no idea where everyone is that is coming back from an injury.
no idea who is going to be injured/suspended when its week 1.

if i go by the roster at this precise moment , i see a repeat of last season TBH.

Well, I'm going to go with the assumption that all come back healthy, Watson, Weddle and Wallace are good fits. With that roster I don't see how we could repeat last season.

In a perfect world and everyone comes back healthy, I'll say at least playoffs. We lost some really close games.

If we have the draft McShay just mocked (Buckner 1st, Spence 2nd), then I'd expect a real title run because it'll prove anything's possible and going our way.

15 hours ago, Maryland said:

Reserving this space for after the draft :lol:

But I agree with the above poster that something around 8-8, give or take a couple wins, seems achievable.  

For what it's worth, our 2016 opponents:

Home

• Cincinnati Bengals
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Miami Dolphins
  • Oakland Raiders
  • Philadelphia Eagles
  • Washington Redskins

Away

• Cincinnati Bengals
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • New England Patriots
  • New York Jets
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • New York Giants

Based on this, I see 9-7 as currently constructed. 

I know we have to wait on the draft, but assuming we get an expected haul (1 impact player right away, 1 possible starter, 2 immediate rotational pieces) I would probably jump it to 10-6.

But I see 5-3 at home with wins against Cle, Cin, Mia, Phi, and Wash.

Away 4-4 with wins at Pitt, Jax, Dal, and NYG.

Swing games that could make it a great season: Pitt, Buff, Oak, @ Cle, @NYJ

Swing games that could make it worse: Cin, Mia, Wash, @Pitt, @Jax, @Dal.

So, to recap i see 9-7, but 5 of those 7 losses are winnable. 6 of the wins are loseable. So, 3-13 is the basement and 14-2 is our ceiling. But, according to my calculations theres a 98% probability we end up 7-9 to 10-6 with 8.5 being the over-under that Vegas will use.

14 minutes ago, beanfigger said:

If we have the draft McShay just mocked (Buckner 1st, Spence 2nd), then I'd expect a real title run because it'll prove anything's possible and going our way.

If we get Spence in the 2nd I will be overjoyed. I think hes the best pure pass rusher in the draft, with Bosa being the only player better overall from the position.

With the current roster and that schedule of teams, assuming everybody stays healthy, 9 wins is the min.  I'm not gonna sit here and predict mediocrity after a season with so many losses by 3 points or less and injuries.  Putting everybody on the same level of health, we shouldn't lose more than 7 games on the season

May have to take my dad to the Skins @ Ravens game. I took him the year the Ravens played in Washington when Kirk Cousins took them to overtime and ultimately ended up beating the Ravens. I believe it was the year they won the Super Bowl. It was his first time seeing a Skins game and the first time for us both to see our favorite teams play one another.

id like to take him into Ravens territory and get a little revenge, hopefully.

as far as predictions go, we can only go up imo. Hopefully we get a healthy Joe, Steve, Camp, Perriman. Sure up the o line in the draft. 

Draft some defensive guys, plug a few guys in, and in that alone, we have to be 10 times better than last year. It will just come down to executing.

At least 8-9 wins if the draft goes well, and we get the guys we need to fill some holes.

Edited by RavensPunkXVX

I think as Joe's recovery and effectiveness goes, so will the fate of the team this year.

I am not always in the camp of "quality of drafted players" making a huge impact on the team in their first season with the team.

Adjustments in the running game (blocking schemes) due to cut block rule changes are going to be needed.  I don't see the ground game (or anyone else's ground game) improving drastically because of it.  I am cautiously optimistic about ours improving.

If Joe comes back strong, and can avoid injury.......we will have a better than average chance at a winning record.  I think we have many of the tools we need for our OL to be dominant with one more piece added to the puzzle (LT, whether that is a healthy Monroe, a FA home run, or a very solid draft pick).

I'll feel a lot better when we see how Joe's doing early in the season, and if we can get out of OTA's without train wreck injuries.

16 hours ago, allblackraven said:

Derrick Henry makes 1700 yards from scrimmage. If healthy, the team goes to divisional round with home field advantage.

And he gets 15 td's ... this is my favourite prediction, I'd love to see us pick up that beast in the 2nd. 

Well if last season taught us anything, it's that a quick turnaround is no longer off the table in the National Football League if you have the pieces in place and quality front office like the Panthers. I mean did everyone forget that they just lucked out the season before going 7-8-1 and still winning their division, and the year after that they went 17-2 and to the Super Bowl? If the right moves are made and the coach is in place to do so, then a large turnaround is possible, and I think Harbaugh and Newsome at least give us the possibility to do that (not saying they will, just saying the possibility exists.

If everything goes well, Flacco will have Ben Watson, Mike Wallace, and Breshad Perriman as new targets (and maybe a new WR from the draft). That is 3 definite new targets, 2 of whom have shown they can get open and be relied upon in other offenses. The running game scares me a little more than most mostly because we don't know how Forrest will be when he comes back as RB is a tough position to bounce back after an injury. I love Buck Allen as much as the next guy but to me he is best as a receiving threat out of the backfield, so to me getting a guy like Elliott in the first would serve as a huge upgrade to our offense, and with a talent like that Trestman will have to give him carries or he would be chased out of town. 

Our offensive line isn't as big of a question mark as people make it out to be. Euegen Monroe is a starter and quality one at that. I know he's been hurt in the past but I believe with all the doubt of the offseason and people questioning him he will be extra motivated this season, at least I hope. Yanda is one of the best guards if not the best, and Zuttah is a quality Center. LG is our only real question but we have young guys who have been put on the spot in the last few years and so their development has been accelerated which sucked for them at the time but will help them tremendously this offseason. And Rick Wagner is a young but up and coming right tackle who had a down year last year but he was coming off injury and I expect him to play at the rookie level he played in after a full offseason. I think Ronnie Stanley would be a bad pick at number 6, maybe if we traded down but he just doesn't look like a surefire prospect at OT and we need a surefire guy with such a high pick that we don't normally have.

Now on to the defense I have a lot of hope. If you look at our front 7, it is still a dominant force. With the likes of Jernigan, Brandon Williams, CJ Mosely, Dumervil coming back, and Terrell Suggs hopefully playing at pre-inury level we should be set. Not to mention we have guys who showed promise like Carl Davis, Za'Darius Smith, Urban and of course KLM who will hopefully stay healthy for a full season finally. Then not to mention the most underrated move of the offseason is the hiring of Leslie Frazier. Did no one see how much a difference a coach coming in can make? Remember how Kubiak came in with mostly the same offense (minus stEVE Smith) and quickly made it the best in franchise history? I believe Frazier, not to that extent of course, but he can make some things happen as the secondary coach. Especially with my favorite offseason addition ERIC WEDDLE coming in and motivated and hungry he will make a huge impact along with a rejuvenated Jimmy Smith, Shareece Wright, and a position switch for Lardarius Webb. I see a bright future guys!!

A lot of how well the Ravens do next season will depend on how healthy all the guys come back from their injuries. Flacco, S.Smith, D.Pitta, Monroe, Zuttah, Forsett, Perriman, Gillmore and that's just the offense and on the defensive side we have Suggs, and so many others I cant even remember all of them off the top of my head. Like others have mentioned in this thread Who do we draft? But honestly if everyone comes back healthy and Oz has one of his better drafts then the Ravens making the playoffs is not out of the question. I do think realistically we finish better than we did last season and at very least 8-8. 

Honest prediction, hm?

Let's say we start strong, then slow down. We finish at 10-6 or 11-5 and we lose the AFC North.
We are in the Playoffs tho with a Wild-Card, and then, anything can happen.

Looks pretty honest to me.

8 hours ago, 757RavensFan said:

If I recall correctly, the schedule is usually released a week or two before the draft.  

Thursday April 21st

9 hours ago, 757RavensFan said:

I want to see a game at Jerry's World, so I plan on going to this game.  

most exciting thing ever. got stationed 2 hours from fort worth. cant wait to see this one.

Honestly, right now we are a 7-9 team.  We could possibly lose every game on our schedule outside of the two Cleveland games, Jacksonville,Jets, Miami,Philly, and splitting with either PITT or Cinci.  

Any prediction is worthless until we see our QB in action. His recovery is the number one key to the season. Without him playing and playing well rest doesn't matter. 

22 hours ago, GrimCoconut said:

It sucks we play Washington at home. I'd rather have played them away for another home game. 

When Washington beats us, we win the Super Bowl.

6 hours ago, RavensPunkXVX said:

May have to take my dad to the Skins @ Ravens game. I took him the year the Ravens played in Washington when Kirk Cousins took them to overtime and ultimately ended up beating the Ravens. I believe it was the year they won the Super Bowl. It was his first time seeing a Skins game and the first time for us both to see our favorite teams play one another.

id like to take him into Ravens territory and get a little revenge, hopefully.

I have a long standing tradition with my Redskins buddy.  I take him to games at M&T, and he takes me to the game at FedEx.  I have been to two down there and he has been to one here. 

Haven't even seen the schedule(I know the list is there but the order we play them in does matter) or gotten to the draft yet so hard for me to make a prediction at this point

On March 24, 2016 at 9:43 PM, rmcjacket23 said:

Impossible to make any judgment until after the draft.

FA has gone well overall, but tentatively might be a stretch to go from 5-11 to playoff contender in one offseason.

Why exactly do you think playoffs is a stretch refs cost us 3 games we had 4 starting QBs a WR corp that had Aiken and a bunch of guys who couldn't make any 53 man squad no Suggs no LT a field that swallowed up Tucker and cost us a game a ridiculous bounce vs the Bengals and our 1st round pick didn't see the field that there if that changed puts us at 10-6 and 9 of the loses were less than a TD and we beat the Steelers twice have faith. It's like we have 2-1st round picks with Perriman coming back 

My take we will split with Pit and Cincy and sweep Browns 4-2 in division.

3-1 vs NFC East W vs Wash Phily Dallas L vs NYG

3-1 vs AFC East W vs Mia Buf NYJ L vs Cheatriots

W vs Jack

L vs Raiders 

11-5 playoff bound 

2 hours ago, K-Dog said:

When Washington beats us, we win the Super Bowl.

With the history of. This matchup I am almost willing to root against us for the greater good of the season. 

I'll deal with my stepdad and co. Gladly and I'll just say "you know what happens when you beat us, right?..."

1 hour ago, Wildabeast88 said:

Why exactly do you think playoffs is a stretch refs cost us 3 games we had 4 starting QBs a WR corp that had Aiken and a bunch of guys who couldn't make any 53 man squad no Suggs no LT a field that swallowed up Tucker and cost us a game a ridiculous bounce vs the Bengals and our 1st round pick didn't see the field that there if that changed puts us at 10-6 and 9 of the loses were less than a TD and we beat the Steelers twice have faith. It's like we have 2-1st round picks with Perriman coming back 

Man... When you add up everything, it's absolutely mind blowing. We were a God awful team devastated by injuries that could have quite literally been 10-6 or better had the refs not blown games and if we just had one bounce on occasion. 

Absolutely everything went against us last year, except for when everything also went against the browns lol