• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BR News

[News] Benjamin Watson Compares Joe Flacco To Tom Brady, Drew Brees

16 posts in this topic

I hope Watson is productive here, but if he has anywhere close to the same numbers he had last year, that would not be a good sign for Gilmore or Maxx Williams.

Truthfully as much as I like and admire Joe Flacco, while he doesn't match up to either Brees or Brady in terms of stats or performance, he has performed on par with or better than those two in the playoffs when it counts. Will that continue? I'm not sure, but with a 5 yr sample size, it is safe to say Joe performs better in the playoffs than in the regular season.
I don't know how to account for this discrepancy between regular and post season performance, but Joe has to play up to his contract in the regular season starting in 2016.

I hope Watson is productive here, but if he has anywhere close to the same numbers he had last year, that would not be a good sign for Gilmore or Maxx Williams.

Yes, completely agree. Wattson is a solid signing to ensure there will be no issues at TE this year, evidenced by an "aggressive" signing. He is also another solid character in a young locker room to help set the tone and expectations of being a professional.

I think he will be the primary TE allowing Gilmore time to heal and learn! It will also give Maxx Williams, Boyle (when he returns) and Waller the opportunity to learn from a a professional. It is a win/win for the Ravens and the TEs!

Ben Watson is a nice guy in all, but his age is concerning. Is he going have the same production last year at age 35? I don't know. I thought he was like 30 or 31 at first but 35 year old TE. I hope he could be still productive. We always give Joe 33+ year old weapons we gotta give Joe in their prime weapons. Plus we have TEs. l don't know how all these TEs will make the team.

Well, maybe Watson can run for office when his football career is over. Mentioning Flacco in the same sentence with Brady and Brees, would be like mentioning Jimmy Carter with George Washington or Abe Lincoln. Absurd!

Well, maybe Watson can run for office when his football career is over. Mentioning Flacco in the same sentence with Brady and Brees, would be like mentioning Jimmy Carter with George Washington or Abe Lincoln. Absurd!

Why not? Joe's had almost as many wins as Brady, since his rookie year. More than Brees. Also more playoff wins, a lot more. That's all that really matters.

7 minutes ago, JacktheRaven said:

Why not? Joe's had almost as many wins as Brady, since his rookie year. More than Brees. Also more playoff wins, a lot more. That's all that really matters.

Agree. Most people forget that winning is what matters and that's all Flacco has done since he has been in Baltimore. He has owned Brady head to head in the last couple of years. He is definitely a winner. Look around at what is happening with teams scrambling around in free agecy desperate for a starter. We have one. We like ours and he is not going anywhere anytime soon. Go Ravens!!

Ben Watson is a nice guy in all, but his age is concerning. Is he going have the same production last year at age 35? I don't know. I thought he was like 30 or 31 at first but 35 year old TE. I hope he could be still productive. We always give Joe 33+ year old weapons we gotta give Joe in their prime weapons. Plus we have TEs. l don't know how all these TEs will make the team.

I was surprised just like you at first but this actually makes a lot of sense. Dont let the 35 scare you because that's the only reason we got him for 3 mil this year. Watson was a top 5 TE last year. If he drops off a bit he's still a top 10 guy. If he was 30 years old then he'd be making 7 or 8 mil a year for 4 years and we wouldn't be able to reach for him.

Lots of TEs produced pro bowl seasons around that age because you really don't need speed as much as other positions. Maxx williams and Gilmore are still going to be used a lot and whenever they are ready it's their roster spot to take. We have a top 10 TE for years to come with Gilmore and Maxx.

We're gonna see a loooooot of 2TE sets and Joe should have a monster year.

Welcome to Baltimore!

We are the media acting like Ben Watson is the second coming or something. So many articles on this guy. Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's here and hope he brings what he had in New Orleans here, but can we cool it with the articles on this guy.

Quick question is this the only move we are going to make in Free Agency? Give these guys something else to write about. Please.

Evil wayz you took the words right out of my mouth.

To add to that, what would you expect a tight end to say about his QB. For the writers, (NO) Joe is not an elite QB, the whole argument is dead. Some of the fans want to go with a cheaper option at QB. So we are arguing if we still want him on the team. Elite ? Please.

Evil wayz you took the words right out of my mouth.

To add to that, what would you expect a tight end to say about his QB. For the writers, (NO) Joe is not an elite QB, the whole argument is dead. Some of the fans want to go with a cheaper option at QB. So we are arguing if we still want him on the team. Elite ? Please.

I'm just glad that " some of the fans" don't make ANY decisions about the team. That's why yhey are fans.

Watson was my favorite FA pick up out of the three. Very good TE and even better character. I think Pitta's career is over. Gilmore will be returning from injury and Boyle is suspended for ten games. Even though Maxx Williams was my favorite pick, this guy should mentor him well. I think Maxx will be another Todd Heap or better. He's the youngest Raven I believe. Let's not forget that Waller is moving to TE. I don't think that Steve Smith will play at the same pace for over 1200 yards, but I don't see why he doesn't have another 1000 yard season. If Watson can get 800 yards along with Maxx maybe getting between 300-400. And if Wallace can get between 600-800, I think he was worth the price. Aiken should still be able to add 600-800 and that's not all of the WR's and RB's. Flacco should throw for 4000 easily in Trestman's second year as OC.