BR News

[News] Late For Work 1/28: Ravens' Free Agency Shopping List

61 posts in this topic

I would love to see Travis Benjamin here. Yes he isn't the biggest name but look at all the big plays he made in Cleveland with no other staff around him. He is a speedy guy who can make big plays and that is what our offense needs to go back to. We haven't been playing off Flacco's arm strength the last couple seasons. Add in Travis Benjamin, Breshad Perriman on the outsides and have them fly and then Steve Smith in the slot and have Maxx Williams and Crockett Gillmore in the middle of the field. Have Buck Allen out of the back field. Honestly that is why I think our offense has sputtered recently in some games. We are not playing to Flacco's big arm and that is probably why some of his deep balls have been off target the last couple years. Remember how accurate he was on the deep ball in 2011 and 2012? We need to get back to those big plays to keep defenses honest.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahooooooy what an awesome list of FA. I'd love to get our hands on a few of them. Unfortunately as things stand, Ravens can't afford any of them under the cap. Let's hurry up and rework Flacco and Webbs deals. Then free up some space by letting go of some dead skin players. (upto 9 mil without losing a single starter)

Then let's all hope Ozzie has a more agressive approach than last year

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Show me one person that doesn't get along with Ozzie? He's egoless and talks straight and to the point. How can you not get along with him? Even Billick had a great relationship with Ozzie. Heck, Eric DeCosta has spurned several GM opportunities to remain Asst. GM simply because Ozzie is so easy to get along with and has no ego. Ego is the precursor of all relationships going bad.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume if we do plan to get a left tackle it will be post june 1 release to save some money. Which would mean a lot of the good talent will be gone. Maybe DB and WR will have something via cap casualties but thats all I can think of.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 28, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Halshayeji said:

Then let's all hope Ozzie has a more agressive approach than last year


I don't think that'll happen. It seems to me that the harsher the situation, the calmer he reacts. And that's usually the best strategy on the long run.

 

On January 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM, trevorsteadman said:

I think they could get Travis Benjamin for a decent price.

What makes you think so?

Edited by bioLarzen
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's forget about Von Miller for several reasons but mainly he has those dreaded 'character issues'. Check his police blotter.......

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pass Rusher
-------------------
Von Miller, Denver Broncos - never happening
Tamba Hali, Kansas City Chiefs - slim chance to none
Bruce Irvin, Seattle Seahawks - doable but not likely
Nick Perry, Green Bay Packers - ...eh


Cornerback
-------------------
Josh Norman, Carolina Panthers - never happening
Price Amukamara, New York Giants - not much better than what we have if at all
Trumaine Johnson, L.A. Rams
Janoris Jenkins, L.A. Rams - might be too expensive
Sean Smith, Kansas City Chiefs - doubt it
Josh Robinson, Minnesota Vikings

Offensive Tackle
--------------------------
Kelechi Osemele, Baltimore Ravens: best guy in this group, better keep him
Russel Okung, Seattle Seahawks: Russell Wilson gets hit way too much for this to sound like a good idea

(ambivalent about the rest of these guys. if nothing else, theyll probably be more available than Monroe)
Cordy Glenn, Buffalo Bills
Donald Penn, Oakland Raiders
Kelvin Beachum, Pittsburgh Steelers



Wide Receiver
-----------------------
Alshon Jeffery, Chicago Bears: never happening.
Anquan Boldin, San Francisco 49ers: we already have this guy twice in Smith Senior and Aiken. Too late for this reunion, we tried the 3 possession receiver thing in 2010, it didnt work.

Travis Benjamin, Cleveland Browns: or just keep Givens. same dude.

(these guys are good depth. Prefer Marvin over Sanu. Neither is a savior though.)
Marvin Jones, Cincinnati Bengals
Mohamed Sanu, Cincinnati Bengals

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A typical Ravens off-season for me. Drooling over free agents Ozzie won't get, loving our pick but knowing Ozzie will trade back for more picks and being crushed by our cap number. Seems like a typical offseason for me. We will pick up someone like Victor Cruz from the cap casualty list, we will trade back and grab a pick around 12 or 13 and then trade back up into the first round and use the picks we got to grab someone else around 16 - 20. Then we will pray for Flacco to restructure and hope a couple other vets push money down the road and take a cap cut so we can just fill out the roster. Another year. BUT, don't take this as negative. This is how Ozzie operates and he didn't get his reputation by not knowing what he is doing. Where I will be the first to admit I would be like a kid in the candy store, Ozzie knows and that's why I comment and he hires.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like it was stated in the article, Ozzie loves his comp pics too much to go after FA's.

 I really see him being stingy with them now since he can trade them in 2017. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 757RavensFan said:

Like it was stated in the article, Ozzie loves his comp pics too much to go after FA's.

 

It depends on how many "comp pick worthy" players we lose. If it goes above 4 - like it did last off-season (Owen Daniels, Torrey, Darian Stewart, Tyrod Taylor and Pernell McPhee), we can sign one player without giving up a comp pick - as one team cannot get more than 4 comp picks per season - that's how we got Kendrick Lewis.

Edited by bioLarzen
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must shout out my brother Ed Dickson and Blind Side Oher for going to the big dance once again. Glad you found a place where you are needed and can shine. Going from my team the Ravens to my Sons favorite team teh Panthers.. I still Win. One Love Fam

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bioLarzen said:

What makes you think so?

I just do not see him as one of those bigger named guys who will command a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if he did in the end, but I am sure he doesn't want to stay with Cleveland. He played horrible with Manziel in the game and was actually good at the beginning of the season with McCown. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted a cannon armed quarterback to throw to him. If we went this route I doubt we would draft a receiver and we would go into the season with Benjamin, Perriman, Aiken and Steve Smith Sr... Which none of them should be a #1 threat. Sure Steve Smith may play well again but I would like him in a smaller role in the offense considering his age and 2 years ago with us he slowed down as the season went on. Benjamin would be a good deep threat but then again the same can be said for Perriman who has question marks around him. I bet it all depends on how they rate the receivers going into the draft. They should have a better look at it after the combine. I don't think they could afford anyone else on that list and if they do not think a player there can step into a big role on our offense next year they may give Benjamin a look. I want more shots downfield for our offense because that is how we won the superbowl. Flacco's accuracy on short and medium routes is off and on but it seemed like when we were consistently throwing it downfield in 2011 and 2012 his accuracy was phenomenal on those throws and it would open up our younger receivers and tight ends a little bit. Just a thought... It all comes down to what they see at the combine.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bioLarzen said:

 

It depends on how many "comp pick worthy" players we lose. If it goes above 4 - like it did last off-season (Owen Daniels, Torrey, Darian Stewart, Tyrod Taylor and Pernell McPhee), we can sign one player without giving up a comp pick - as one team cannot get more than 4 comp picks per season - that's how we got Kendrick Lewis.

Understood.  But we're in a weird predicament this year.  KO maybe the only player we lose this year that results in a comp pick. Maybe Upshaw. But I think we sign most of the UFAs and the others don't rate high enough for a comp pick.  If for some reason we bring in at least 1 of the FAs listed in the article, we don't get a comp pick for 2017 b/c it'll be a wash. 

Edited by 757RavensFan
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 757RavensFan said:

Understood.  But we're in a weird predicament this year.  KO maybe the only player we lose this year that results in a comp pick. Maybe Upshaw. But I think we sign most of the UFAs and the others don't rate high enough for a comp pick.  If for some reason we bring in at least 1 of the FAs listed in the article, we don't get a comp pick for 2017 b/c it'll be a wash. 

 

Shame too, as the next round of comp picks will be trade-able!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's forget about Von Miller for several reasons but mainly he has those dreaded 'character issues'. Check his police blotter.......

he's got traffic violations

those arent "character issues"....

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1 hour ago, bioLarzen said:

What makes you think so?

I just do not see him as one of those bigger named guys who will command a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if he did in the end, but I am sure he doesn't want to stay with Cleveland. He played horrible with Manziel in the game and was actually good at the beginning of the season with McCown. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted a cannon armed quarterback to throw to him. If we went this route I doubt we would draft a receiver and we would go into the season with Benjamin, Perriman, Aiken and Steve Smith Sr... Which none of them should be a #1 threat. Sure Steve Smith may play well again but I would like him in a smaller role in the offense considering his age and 2 years ago with us he slowed down as the season went on. Benjamin would be a good deep threat but then again the same can be said for Perriman who has question marks around him. I bet it all depends on how they rate the receivers going into the draft. They should have a better look at it after the combine. I don't think they could afford anyone else on that list and if they do not think a player there can step into a big role on our offense next year they may give Benjamin a look. I want more shots downfield for our offense because that is how we won the superbowl. Flacco's accuracy on short and medium routes is off and on but it seemed like when we were consistently throwing it downfield in 2011 and 2012 his accuracy was phenomenal on those throws and it would open up our younger receivers and tight ends a little bit. Just a thought... It all comes down to what they see at the combine.

Well, we'll see. But I think Hue Jackson won't let a talent like him walk. Especially if they select a QB at #2 in the draft - which most analyst think they will - they will have to provide him with some weaponry. And Gordon plus Benjamin (and Barnidge) seems to be a good starting bet.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1 hour ago, bioLarzen said:

 

It depends on how many "comp pick worthy" players we lose. If it goes above 4 - like it did last off-season (Owen Daniels, Torrey, Darian Stewart, Tyrod Taylor and Pernell McPhee), we can sign one player without giving up a comp pick - as one team cannot get more than 4 comp picks per season - that's how we got Kendrick Lewis.

Understood.  But we're in a weird predicament this year.  KO maybe the only player we lose this year that results in a comp pick. Maybe Upshaw. But I think we sign most of the UFAs and the others don't rate high enough for a comp pick.  If for some reason we bring in at least 1 of the FAs listed in the article, we don't get a comp pick for 2017 b/c it'll be a wash. 

Well, at least it means we don't lose many key players :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have rather seen an article on the Senior Bowl, seeing that we have drafted so many players in the past that have played in that game and have made strong contributions. I think everyone knows we are not making any splashes in Free Agency, and if we do anything via Trade it will involve draft picks. BTW, KO should thank Monroe for the extra 10M he will have in his pocket after he signs his new contract.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

use all of the free agency $$ to resign osemele

 

does anyone know if this is the new format to the site or are they having techinical issues. it was tricky to log in

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRavengers said:

There's no way Von Miller leaves the Broncos, after the last 5 years he's had.

Absolutely. Manning will be sacrificed at the alter for the sake of keeping Miller. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not worried, Oz will do what he can with what he has to work with....And when the smoke clears it will be what it will be...going 5-11 is not acceptable and they all know it, so they will do what they feel will get us back to the dance.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now