• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
sflegend89

Was Harbs winning a SB lucky?

99 posts in this topic

No. If anything it was unlucky it didn't happen earlier, with the horrible ending to the AFC 2012 Championship game (not saying that guarantees a Super Bowl title, but we would have had a good chance). 

please don't bring that up; it's my worst nightmare when both of our defense and offense playing lights out......

please don't bring that up; it's my worst nightmare when both of our defense and offense playing lights out......

Trust me it's one of my worst memories too. But I think that proves my point effectively for this thread.

Elaborate, I gave him his credit where it was due but there is no denying the external factors that were the driving force behind winning that SB.

1. Ray Lewis Magic - There's no other way to put it, something once in a lifetime went on that postseason from his last dance at M&T, the mile high miracle, the David vs Goliath game in NE, the goal line stand in the SB.. it was like watching a movie.

2. Flacco Legendary Performance - 11 TD's 0 INT's, enough said, even with all the Ray Lewis "last ride" going on we don't beat Denver without Flacco playig out of his mind.

3. Great Coaching Staff - So many coaches from that squad have been promoted to higher positions with other teams, Teryl Austin did amazing work with the db's and Caldwell provided exactly the type of well balanced attack the offense and Joe need to thrive that we didn't see again until Kubiak.

I'll stick with my analogy in my OP, Harbaugh was the glue, he was the team manager, Ray and Ed were the leaders, they commanded the locker room. I don't believe he was a driving force behind that SB.

Im with you on this 100% .. harbaugh more less attained a great team with a great organization and managed it well

needs to go...just gets worse week after week...and been a downward spiral last two years...

Terrible amount of injuries, crappy imaginations on our coordinators. 3 man rushes on d all day. Run Run Pass on O.

It wasn't luck that won our SB. Harbaugh reestablished our franchise that plummeted to nothing after our final season of Billick. It was no fluke, we could've had Jason Garrett as our HC. He had one winning season as the Cowboys HC and nobody is calling for his head. We lose a handful of games with some glaring problems and the sky is falling? I think most of our fans have been conditioned to winning that they just cannot accept losing any games at all. It happens.

The mighty have to fall so they can get back up and stand strong

Playoffs year after year. AFCCG appearances, Super Bowl victory, those were not accidents and sure as hell weren't luck

Many of you are running with the intention of this thread in the wrong direction, my point is that Harbs isn't a great football mind but he is a very good team manager and I don't mean that as a back handed compliment, it's a valuable skill set as a HC. I just personally feel like he was the glue keeping everything together (which is very important) but not an active orchestrator behind that SB like a Bill Belichick or Sean Payton.

I also said I'm not opposed to Harbs staying, I just see a chance for both sides to get a fresh start because the train is off the tracks.

I think a better fit wold be someone like Josh McDaniels from NE, say what you wnat about his first gig in Denver but the guy has a tremendous mind for the game and i think he's grown as a coach a lot since then. That's the type of guy who will get hands on with the scheme, that's the type of guy who can help this team evolve with the times. I like Harbs, don't mind him staying at all, just see that the grass might be greener on the other side for both parties if he were to get offered USC.

I get what your saying.I agree.I've always said that I respect John but i dont always trust him.Things such as clock management down the stretch, many of the challenges he makes and his 4th down decisions instead of taking points knowing your team needs them.Also his passive attitudes in press conferences such as downplaying something when its clearly wrong or making adjustments when his assistants clearly aren't getting it done(Cam,Mattison,Pees,Trestman).Hes a great coach and I'm glad to have him here,plus his job is safe but I don't think hes really that good of a football mind.More of a players type of coach.

needs to go...just gets worse week after week...and been a downward spiral last two years...

Last year we were up on the Pats 14 points twice, after beating the steelers in the playoffs....wierd looking rabbit hole there....

Many of you are running with the intention of this thread in the wrong direction, my point is that Harbs isn't a great football mind but he is a very good team manager and I don't mean that as a back handed compliment, it's a valuable skill set as a HC. I just personally feel like he was the glue keeping everything together (which is very important) but not an active orchestrator behind that SB like a Bill Belichick or Sean Payton. while i am on Johns side, not too many teams has EVER had a belichick. 

I also said I'm not opposed to Harbs staying, I just see a chance for both sides to get a fresh start because the train is off the tracks.

I think a better fit wold be someone like Josh McDaniels from NE, say what you wnat about his first gig in Denver but the guy has a tremendous mind for the game and i think he's grown as a coach a lot since then. That's the type of guy who will get hands on with the scheme, that's the type of guy who can help this team evolve with the times. I like Harbs, don't mind him staying at all, just see that the grass might be greener on the other side for both parties if he were to get offered USC.

I havent heard of any USC talk, whats the connections there

McDaniels was also 33 years old and was the youngest HC in NFL history at the time, he was thrust into a position of responsibility/power that he wasn't equipped for at that age and his immaturity showed, he was coaching some players older than him. 

I think he's evolved a lot as a coach/person since then and working closely with Belichick more closely as an OC has really groomed him for a HC job now. He will no doubt be a HC after this season. Look at what he's doing up there in NE, that's not all Belichick, McDaniels is on the cutting edge of how the game is evolving and is playing a different game than we are, regardless of personnel.

I don't want to turn this into Harbs vs McDaniels, John is still our coach and I stand by him. But if he get's offered USC I'm not going to be crying for him to stay because there is certainly A LOT of untapped potential with someone like a Josh McDaniels.

I have always liked McDaniels.  He was very arragoant when he went to Denver, something he got from Belichick.  But i like his aggressiveness and i think mixed with a GM like Oz they could do great things. 

Better than ours with our Harbaugh after they had the biggest mass exodus of key players I have ever seen in a single offseason. Willis (Pro Bowl caliber), Borland (Pro Bowl caliber), Aldon Smith (Pro Bowl caliber), Justin Smith, Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox, Mike Iupati, Anthony Davis, Michael Crabtree, Stevie Johnson.. oh yeah Jim Harbaugh...am I forgetting anybody?

We actually lost to that team today, but nah it's injuries, excuses, excuses, excuses from this coaching staff. I understand injuries have taken their toll, I get it, I'm not asking to be a top tier team, but to not even be middle of the pack with our roster is a flat out joke. We're sitting here acting like it has little to nothing to do with coaching when the Steelers are beating an upper tier team with Landry freakin' Jones at QB. The steelers also have the best RB in the NFL, two awesome WRs.  Brown, Bell, Bryant are better than any weapons we have. 

our issue is no defense, our offense can score, our D is a cheescake, meh.

When did we ever think this would be a true statement. 

Who can we replace him with? That's all I need to know. Ive been a strong supporter to highly indifferent. I don't see anyone that would be available.... Maybe pagano....

To answer your question btw...no.

Brian Billick would come back. We seen him one good year with McNair that couldn't throw more than 40yrds....give him a Flacco and he should kill the game like he did in Minnesota. 

but billick runs cupcake camps and practices tho....and his teams lacked the discipline of harbs. I would hope a more mature billick wouldn't lose the team. 

Terrible amount of injuries, crappy imaginations on our coordinators. 3 man rushes on d all day. Run Run Pass on O.

It wasn't luck that won our SB. Harbaugh reestablished our franchise that plummeted to nothing after our final season of Billick. It was no fluke, we could've had Jason Garrett as our HC. He had one winning season as the Cowboys HC and nobody is calling for his head. We lose a handful of games with some glaring problems and the sky is falling? I think most of our fans have been conditioned to winning that they just cannot accept losing any games at all. It happens.

The mighty have to fall so they can get back up and stand strong

Playoffs year after year. AFCCG appearances, Super Bowl victory, those were not accidents and sure as hell weren't luck

i agree.... he brought us discipline that the billick era didn't have at all. 

harbaugh grew our fanbase, came up with slogans/mantras, always about next man up, sent tape to the nfl his rookie season to show the bias refs had against the ravens. 

I get what your saying.I agree.I've always said that I respect John but i dont always trust him.Things such as clock management down the stretch, many of the challenges he makes and his 4th down decisions instead of taking points knowing your team needs them.Also his passive attitudes in press conferences such as downplaying something when its clearly wrong or making adjustments when his assistants clearly aren't getting it done(Cam,Mattison,Pees,Trestman).Hes a great coach and I'm glad to have him here,plus his job is safe but I don't think hes really that good of a football mind.More of a players type of coach.

billick was a players coach and that backfired....he had an undisciplined team. 

HC: harbs

OC:billick

DC: Rex Ryan  

would be success!!! 

Just stop it. Fans are so wishy washy and always have to have instant gratification.

Harbs takes us to the divisional playoff game last year after the whole ray rice debacle and everybody wants to give him coach of the year and he gets off to one bad start and now it's he should be fired and everything he's done before was pure luck. Never heard a word of that before the 1-4 start. Just stop it. Unless you wanna end up with a tony Sparano as our head coach and have this same feeling year after year after year then give it a rest. This is an anamoly and won't last long. This may not be our season but trust and believe we will be right back in the mix next season.

Just stop it. Fans are so wishy washy and always have to have instant gratification.

Harbs takes us to the divisional playoff game last year after the whole ray rice debacle and everybody wants to give him coach of the year and he gets off to one bad start and now it's he should be fired and everything he's done before was pure luck. Never heard a word of that before the 1-4 start. Just stop it. Unless you wanna end up with a tony Sparano as our head coach and have this same feeling year after year after year then give it a rest. This is an anamoly and won't last long. This may not be our season but trust and believe we will be right back in the mix next season.

I agree 100%.  The season is not how we envisioned but so called "fans" want Harbaugh or Ozzie to get fired or question what they have done for this organization is just plain ridiculous.  Harbaugh is a top 5 coach in the country, let alone the NFL.  We are decimated by injuries and have had to shuffle a lot of new guys into the lineup this year.  We will not be down for long though because Harbaugh and Ozzie have proven that they know how to put a good team together and coach that team to success

harbs was getting blasted during ed reed led mutinies, having camps harder than billick,  and the check down to ray rice era.

people have always said he inherited the team and would have rode kyle boller as well until injuries set him and troy smith back. Harbs had Flacco number 3 on the depth chart!!! (granted flacco & matt ryan started the let the 1st round QB play no matter what trend we see today....harbs was still in a traditional mindset until injury forced his hand)

Edited by RedFire

Dumb statement.  He's one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL and his record shows that.  The issue is lack of talent on the team.  The best players have retired or been sold off to other teams.  For years the Ravens didn't have a top quarterback, and the team was great but the quarterback position was unsettled.  Now we have a very qood quarterback who commands top dollar and takes away the ability to sign other players to big contracts, we also had Pro Bowl players retire, and the team didn't draft top talent because they blew some picks and they kept picking at the end of the draft order.  Its time to have one or two bad years to get a chance to draft some good ball players, renegotiate Flacco's contract to get more Cap room, and work to rebuild the team.  Sorry folks but the team is the Victim of its own success.  Still wish I knew how New England seems to get multiple 1st and 2nd round picks in many years, I guess they're better than we are at drafting and managing player personnel.

I'd say the lights going out in the Super Bowl giving the 49ers the momentum they needed to nearly make an epic comeback was lucky. Ravens looked dominant in that game before the infamous power outage. Any given Sunday any NFL team can win and yes luck is involved for things to go your way, but that can be said for any team. That season was well deserved. Call it luck, skill or a nice mixture of both, no one will ever be able to take that season from us. So much stuff happened that year. From Torrey's brother dying to Ray Ray retiring, to cap it off with a Lombardi Trophy feels right.

Lucky might be too strong of a word but I believe it was. More so just a benefactor of a strong roster (especially on offense, Torrey, Boldin, prime Rice, healthy Pitta), legendary leadership from Ray, and a strong well-rounded coaching staff (many of which are coaching at a higher position with other teams currently)

That's not to say he isn't a competent head coach because he is, that's also not to say that just anybody could've done what he's done during his time in Baltimore. Just that his role in previous years' success has been overblown and he acted more like the glue sealing the team together rather than an active force driving the team forward.

I've been an outspoken supporter of Harbs over the years but it feels like as time has gone on and the roster/coaching staff has become thinner that more of his shortcomings have been exposed. I don't think he's a great football mind, I think he's a great team manager.

Harbs isn't going to get fired, but this USC opening maybe a great median for the two sides to part ways without all the drama and bad blood involved with firing a winning HC. I think it may just make it easier on everyone for John to take the job if he get's offered, I've always thought his coaching style was a better fit for college similar to Nick Saban. When I watched Harbs in the rookie camp series he just fit the bill as a potential college coach, I think working with younger players in a more controlled environment is exactly the situation he needs. I'm not opposed to Harbs staying, I just see a great opportunity to part ways without things getting ugly.

As bad as we are right now and as interesting as it would be to have someone with a high powered offensive/defensive influence on our team come in as a new HC...I don't see it happening. This is Harbaugh's first humdinger of a year along with the 8-8 season after we won XLVII. I assume and expect there will be reports of Harbaugh on the hotseat this season, only to be shot down by Steve, Dick, and Ozzie.

John Harbaugh brings more to our team as a HC than most people think, and the biggest question of all would be who would replace him? It's hard enough just trying to replace coordinators, let alone trying to replace a proven, super bowl winning head coach. If we did ever cut ties with Harbaugh he would be one of the hottest if not the hottest coaching names out there, and would get scooped up in a trillionth of a second either by a NFL team or he could make millions coaching college kids like little bro.

Sure he has his flaws sometimes not controlling the clock well or timeouts, challenges or what have you...but thats because he is a risk taker, and that same sense of "going for it" and taking those risks has helped our team as many times as it has hurt our team.

Still too early to be thinking about dropping a nuke on our team and cut ties with Flacco and Harbaugh. We are just a spoiled franchise used to WINNING.

Until we become the new Raiders, Browns, etc. And throw up losing records year after year after year Harbaugh will remain our head coach.

Dean Pees is a whole mother story...He is done as our d-coordinator. He is one Larry Fitzgerald TD away from being fired, at least hopefully that's the case.

It depends on what you mean by "luck." Every team that wins a Super Bowl has some things go their way. Some times its just not having injuries, which can be a form of "luck." In the Ravens SB run, it was the end of the Denver game that was their "lucky break." Last year, the Patriots, as good as they have been, won their first SB in ten years. And they got a pretty "lucky break" to get it done. However, you have to do a lot of things right to have those moments matter. As an outsider and Steeler fan, I have to say that the thing I don't get in here is the bashing of Harbaugh and/or Flacco. No person, player or coach gets it right every time. There are a bunch of other good coaches and great players…all professionals….who are chasing the same thing your guys are chasing. Its hard to get it, thats why it means so much. You don't have the run of success the Ravens have had without a pretty darn good coach and an above average QB. The Ravens have both. The line between wins and losses in the NFL can be razor thin. I fully expect the Ravens to remain competitive for the rest of the season and be right back to threatening for the division next year. Down years like this suck. I know, the Steelers have had them. But your team is not the Browns or the Lions. This won't last. One of the things that has kept the Steelers competitive through the years is coaching stability and job security. I wouldn't underestimate the value of those things. You all will be much better off if the organization stands behind your coach and rides this out. 

It depends on what you mean by "luck." Every team that wins a Super Bowl has some things go their way. Some times its just not having injuries, which can be a form of "luck." In the Ravens SB run, it was the end of the Denver game that was their "lucky break." Last year, the Patriots, as good as they have been, won their first SB in ten years. And they got a pretty "lucky break" to get it done. However, you have to do a lot of things right to have those moments matter. As an outsider and Steeler fan, I have to say that the thing I don't get in here is the bashing of Harbaugh and/or Flacco. No person, player or coach gets it right every time. There are a bunch of other good coaches and great players…all professionals….who are chasing the same thing your guys are chasing. Its hard to get it, thats why it means so much. You don't have the run of success the Ravens have had without a pretty darn good coach and an above average QB. The Ravens have both. The line between wins and losses in the NFL can be razor thin. I fully expect the Ravens to remain competitive for the rest of the season and be right back to threatening for the division next year. Down years like this suck. I know, the Steelers have had them. But your team is not the Browns or the Lions. This won't last. One of the things that has kept the Steelers competitive through the years is coaching stability and job security. I wouldn't underestimate the value of those things. You all will be much better off if the organization stands behind your coach and rides this out. 

This is probably the most rational post that I have actually bothered to read and it came from a Steelers fan. Ravens fans, read this because he knows what he's talking about.

We are very lucky that Art brought his winning team to Baltimore; otherwise, we have no team after Colts tailed out B-more.....

Shouldn't B-more be condemned for having this luck?

Who can we replace him with? That's all I need to know. Ive been a strong supporter to highly indifferent. I don't see anyone that would be available.... Maybe pagano....

To answer your question btw...no.

Maybe him, but if he has a 2-14 year you cant tell me you wouldn't entertain the idea of letting him go either

1. Harbaugh wasn't lucky it was skill, he has been a very good head coach up until this point, im inclined to say one of the best. However i am as concerned as you, as to whether or not he has lost it as a coach, i know dean lost his defense and because of the year we are having, how close is he to losing the team. Every head coach goes through it, almost always they get let go afterwords. I love harbaugh like the rest of you, but none of you can tell me that a 1-15 year or 2-14 maybe 3-13 is acceptable?.

That same O-line was up there in the league last season. They don't play as well this year but they are far from garbage.

Incidentally, I would put the blame on Harbaugh for that - he had the opportunity to hire Kyle Shanahan, probably the closest match for what Kubiak did with our offense last year, but opted for Trestman. Look at Falcons running game. Somebody mentioned that Harbaugh got rid of all the players who played like what we expect and I agree with that. Strong personalities are not Harbaugh's favorites. Harbs is tough man, I give him that but you can't surround yourself with quiet guys on every level and preach to them how to be a Raven. Maybe Ozzie needs to start drafting some guys who are not so "nice" as well.

All that said (and back to the topic), there was no extra luck involved in winning the SB, just the ordinary amount you need to win any game. If anything, Harbs would have had 2 to his name if there wasn't for complete lack of luck on that incomplete pass year before.

I'd argue that we had lot of luck going to the playoffs last year, we all know what happened in week 17. Add to that 2013 and this ugly season and I don't see why people get upset if somebody calls HC on that. That's 3 years of regression, who should be responsible for that?

• Harbaugh wasn't lucky it was skill, he has been a very good head coach up until this point, im inclined to say one of the best. However i am as concerned as you, as to whether or not he has lost it as a coach, i know dean lost his defense and because of the year we are having, how close is he to losing the team. Every head coach goes through it, almost always they get let go afterwords. I love harbaugh like the rest of you, but none of you can tell me that a 1-15 year or 2-14 maybe 3-13 is acceptable?.
unless you want to be having 2-14 and 3-13 seasons every year , I suggest you realize what we've got. And I can assure you we will be winning more than 3 games this year regardless. And frankly I don't care if we went 1-15, I wouldn't want any other coach and I'd have no doubt that harbaugh would have us right back in the mix next year. We still have yet to even lose by more than 6 points and we've had a chance to win every single game on the last drive. At least we are staying competitive. It's funny one of the only ppl who sounded like they had any sense in this thread was the steeler fan. And just like he said, the line between wins and losses in the nfl is very thin.

That same O-line was up there in the league last season. They don't play as well this year but they are far from garbage.

Incidentally, I would put the blame on Harbaugh for that - he had the opportunity to hire Kyle Shanahan, probably the closest match for what Kubiak did with our offense last year, but opted for Trestman. Look at Falcons running game. Somebody mentioned that Harbaugh got rid of all the players who played like what we expect and I agree with that. Strong personalities are not Harbaugh's favorites. Harbs is tough man, I give him that but you can't surround yourself with quiet guys on every level and preach to them how to be a Raven. Maybe Ozzie needs to start drafting some guys who are not so "nice" as well.

All that said (and back to the topic), there was no extra luck involved in winning the SB, just the ordinary amount you need to win any game. If anything, Harbs would have had 2 to his name if there wasn't for complete lack of luck on that incomplete pass year before.

I'd argue that we had lot of luck going to the playoffs last year, we all know what happened in week 17. Add to that 2013 and this ugly season and I don't see why people get upset if somebody calls HC on that. That's 3 years of regression, who should be responsible for that?

3 years of regression when we came inches away from beating the future winner of the Super Bowl in the divisional. It's very possible that if we had jimmy smith in that game we'd be holding another Lombardi right now.

With Kubiak, Yanda has been great obviously and K.O. is starting to turn it on again but the OT play has been garbage and Zuttah is kinda in the middle.

would be success!!! 

If only this were possible.We'd be good to go!

would be success!!!

I'd watch that Hard Knocks.

I also believe Harbaugh and the F.O. benefitted from an aggregation of circumstances they didn't appreciate.  That Offense was finely balanced without intentionally being arranged. Their subsequent actions verify that.

The Defense was a bunch of Stone Veterans together at the peak of their mental prowess.

Unfortunately, I do not believe we will find ourselves in that Perfect Storm for many years.

Lucky might be too strong of a word but I believe it was. More so just a benefactor of a strong roster (especially on offense, Torrey, Boldin, prime Rice, healthy Pitta), legendary leadership from Ray, and a strong well-rounded coaching staff (many of which are coaching at a higher position with other teams currently)

That's not to say he isn't a competent head coach because he is, that's also not to say that just anybody could've done what he's done during his time in Baltimore. Just that his role in previous years' success has been overblown and he acted more like the glue sealing the team together rather than an active force driving the team forward.

I've been an outspoken supporter of Harbs over the years but it feels like as time has gone on and the roster/coaching staff has become thinner that more of his shortcomings have been exposed. I don't think he's a great football mind, I think he's a great team manager. 

Harbs isn't going to get fired, but this USC opening maybe a great median for the two sides to part ways without all the drama and bad blood involved with firing a winning HC. I think it may just make it easier on everyone for John to take the job if he get's offered, I've always thought his coaching style was a better fit for college similar to Nick Saban. When I watched Harbs in the rookie camp series he just fit the bill as a potential college coach, I think working with younger players in a more controlled environment is exactly the situation he needs. I'm not opposed to Harbs staying, I just see a great opportunity to part ways without things getting ugly.

His aggressive fourth down decisions are one of his strongest attributes. You have to play to win. Not to not lose.