• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
rmw10

Ravens cut CB Rashaan Melvin and OLB Jason Babin, Promote CBs Asa Jackson and Charles James

117 posts in this topic

I think I would have rather seen Brennen Beyer come up, if only for depth purposes at the very least.  7 CBs seems like a ton even with injuries.

Freeney was signed by the Cardinals today. One guy I thought we would look at would be Steven Means. I guess he was not at all what Ozzie and Harbaugh led us to believe this offseason

IIRC, we gave Means an injury settlement during training camp.

I don't get the cutting Melvin move.  I think he played in 6 games total, 4 decent and 2 bad games. They obviously thought he was better than Asa b/c he was on the active squad while Asa was cut and then brought back to the PS.  I would have thought they would have given Melvin another chance to redeem himself after Will Davis went down.  head scratcher.  

OMG

What I didn't get was holding onto him after he was Toasted vs. the Cheatriots.

We are so much better off with him gone. Glad Asa is back, at least he looks for the ball.

Good Riddance Melvin Toast.

This seems like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

You just answered your own question.

That is exactly what I am afraid of. I don't know that this "shake up" will make much difference. Hopefully I am surprised.

That is exactly what I am afraid of. I don't know that this "shake up" will make much difference. Hopefully I am surprised.

It's probably to show that guys shouldn't feel complacent.  Unfortunately for these two, they just happened to be the ones used as examples.  Melvin got the axe due to poor play.  Babin got the axe due to stupid play.  It's a slightly backhanded way to show that we aren't going to tolerate it going forward.

Babin and his tribal tattoos will not be missed. Whatta knucklehead.

Babin did command a double team, also go back and look at the tape. Both calls were bogus, on the call for illegal hands to the face, the offensive lineman actually had his hand on Babins throat, as far as the offside penalty he was lined up ok, and he shifted, I think in the process of doing so the ref assumed he was offside. But neither play should have been a penalty, go back and look at the tape.

I am kind of excited to see what Charles James can do as far as Asa we have all seen what he brings but James is going to be interesting to watch.

how much did the Babin rental cost us?

Veteran minimum weekly salary for the 4 weeks he was on the roster, so not much.

2.5 million now after the Zuttah restructure I believe

Yeah, I saw that came up on the LFW thread just after I mentioned that.

The Patriots claimed Rashaan Melvin

watch him turn into a star. Think we dumped him to early. He had 3 or 4 good games then 2 bad ones. I'd have kept him around and just gave him a shot over the next 3 or 4

watch him turn into a star. Think we dumped him to early. He had 3 or 4 good games then 2 bad ones. I'd have kept him around and just gave him a shot over the next 3 or 4

I do, too.  Harbaugh said today that they liked him, but things just weren't happening quick enough, which is a weird statement since he hadn't been here that long.  Although it was a very bad run, the guy only has a quarter of football to his name this season after a great offseason.  I would've given him a couple more games to see if we just lucked out and got a few good games out of him last year, or if he actually had some ability.  Seems odd how quickly we moved on from him after how much we seemed to like him this offseason and preseason.  I mean, the guy was out before halftime during preseason games.  That's usually a pretty good indication on their feelings of a guy.

Edited by rmw10

i was hoping for daniel brown instead of asa.

I really liked that guy in pre season.

Where is he now anyway ?

I do, too.  Harbaugh said today that they liked him, but things just weren't happening quick enough, which is a weird statement since he hadn't been here that long.  Although it was a very bad run, the guy only has a quarter of football to his name this season after a great offseason.  I would've given him a couple more games to see if we just lucked out and got a few good games out of him last year, or if he actually had some ability.  Seems odd how quickly we moved on from him after how much we seemed to like him this offseason and preseason.  I mean, the guy was out before halftime during preseason games.  That's usually a pretty good indication on their feelings of a guy.

It was shocking to see  him get cut. I know he got benched against The Bengels for playing with poor technique and  causing penalties but maybe his confidence went way down after that. It was kind of telling how Will Davis got  a shot to play over him then   he  also was being placed on the inactive list while Tray  Walker was on the  active list..

Wright was one of the worst defensive backs in the league last year so  I really don't understand what made him  a better fit over Melvin but it is what it is.

Cutting Babin is a joke. This is a pathetic attempt take your anger and fustration out and personify it on an expandable guy because your team sucks. The pathetic collapse in the 2nd half against the Browns isn't his fault. The season is done anyways, no need to shake up the roster.

He also looked good to me out there and he was great depth.

You are right and wrong at the same time. Babin's foul up certainty did contribute utensils in a major way to the loss. Second, cutting him sends a real message that mental lapses cannot be tolerated. I am sure the whole coaching staff was angered at the stupid penalties from Babin that cost the Ravens an INT and a Cleveland score.

I don't get the cutting Melvin move.  I think he played in 6 games total, 4 decent and 2 bad games. They obviously thought he was better than Asa b/c he was on the active squad while Asa was cut and then brought back to the PS.  I would have thought they would have given Melvin another chance to redeem himself after Will Davis went down.  head scratcher.  

Agreed. Would have liked him to have a bit more time to redeem himself especially in light of our play lately. At least give him a long look.

You are right and wrong at the same time. Babin's foul up certainty did contribute utensils in a major way to the loss. Second, cutting him sends a real message that mental lapses cannot be tolerated. I am sure the whole coaching staff was angered at the stupid penalties from Babin that cost the Ravens an INT and a Cleveland score.

The like 8 players should be out the door.

I think Babin was cut more because he just couldn't pick up the defense. He was here for some time (a month?) and still wasn't seeing a lot of game action. When he was out there, I wouldn't say he was very effective. He was OK. I thought he was at least decent, but he made some bad penalties and perhaps we just didn't want the young guys to be around him and pick up on those type of penalties by watching him? 

I hope we take a look at Freeney. Or maybe make a trade for someone. 

He at least pushed the pocket in and wasn't getting stood up. It was a classless move to cut Babin over a penalty when he's not even the reason we lost. Guy had a huge penalty also. Babin is still on the team without it.

This ranks second behind what they did to Boldin.

Edited by SomeCreepinaVan

they going to just start signing guys off practice squads to see if they find any gems or solid players ! im going to be so pissed if melvin turns into a solid player for belichick... the season may almost be over for us but im still behind the ravens 100 percent #ballsohard