• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
LosT_in_TranSlatioN

Crockett and Mad Maxx

158 posts in this topic

Rather than Juice, it'd be better to give LT or Allen the chance to be a receiving back the way Rice used to be. With them in the game, it really could be a run or pass.

not bad company to be in.

also played more snaps then i expected.

Seems to be mostly blocking opposite of Gilmore.

So far, Boyle is out playing Maxx which is kind of perplexing.

I wouldn't say his outplaying him. I personally think that Williams being a 2nd compared to a 5th rounder like Boyle really made people think that there wouldn't be any competition between Williams and Boyle. 

I wouldn't say his outplaying him. I personally think that Williams being a 2nd compared to a 5th rounder like Boyle really made people think that there wouldn't be any competition between Williams and Boyle. 

Plus Maxx has been injured. Boyle is taking advantage of every opportunity given to him.

Edited by RobFuseRaven

Plus Maxx has been injured. Boyle is taking advantage of every opportunity given to him.

Yeah, I think Boyle has impressed, don't get me wrong, but I feel like saying he's been outplaying Williams is a bit overblown. I might have said the remark he made before, I might have forgotten, I don't know but he's looking good and has exceeded my expectations. If Maxx continues to miss time then year, and Boyle continues to play well then you can start talking about him being better than Maxx this season, but TEs are just not high impact guys year one. 

Seems to be mostly blocking opposite of Gilmore.

yup.

i expected gilmore to be the better blocker and the better receiver.

I personally don't think fat maxx is much more of a seam threat than Gilmore or Boyle. Which is disappointing considering he was drafted to be a faster receiving threat of a TE similar to a Travis Kelce. The fact that you can even speak of a blocking TE outplaying him says something about his speed, athleticism and overall receiving skills.

1669b44d40156b6f31623495a1986f9d.png

I'm impressed with that blocking score. I didn't expect him to be a bad blocker by any stretch, but I didn't think he'd be that high, either. That's awesome

I had criticized Trestman for using the outside of the field for the most part and running mostly boundary routes with receivers (which he changed up in Arizona, a bit), but perhaps the reason the middle of the field isn't being utilized much is because Gilmore just isn't winning his match ups.

I see him frequently disappear and fail to get open and it may really be hampering what Trestman wants to do. That's the big guy you want going across the middle and he's not really getting it done. I didn't expect him to be a great receiving tight end, but there are some limitations I didn't really see happening that are, such as a lack of jump ball skills.

As for Boyle out playing Williams, you're simply looking at the box score. Boyle, I'll admit, has been good for a first down catch here or there, but he's not really wracking up a ton of YAC or routinely getting open. A lot of his catches are in fairly tight coverage and Joe just makes a good throw and there's a good catch. He is defidnekty showing good hands and I'm glad he can move the chains, but with Maxx, you're getting a good blocker and surprising athleticism to work the inside and outside of the field as a receiver. He's shown pretty good ability to get down the seam at times. Just wait until he gets more in shape.

I'll say it again. Maxx is a great football player. The fact that he holds up and stays on blocks doesn't surprise me at all. If you have watched any college game film at Minnesota you see clearly how sound he is in his assignments. How well rounded and versatile he is. Doesn't have size/strength yet to consistently hold up in line,yet but I suspect he will.

Just wait and just watch.

I love what I'm seeing out of Maxx, I expect him to come into next year in much better shape and ready to go. Gilmore is interesting, nobody can take this guy down. I can only wonder what these 2 guys can do for us going into the future.

Trestman loves TE's, and having 2 of them will be great

I like Maxx, I think hes going to be a good player, but I wish Preston Smith stock didn't blow up the way it did, really loved his game.

I wasn't a Maxx Williams fan before the draft.I just didn't see the athletic TE he was being touted as and I'm still waiting to see it.I won't go as far as to disrespect him and call him Fatt Maxx,but he really needs to drop a few pounds and work on his speed in the off season.

Let's talk about something awesome.

This is going to be a big part of our future

Crockett, Gilmore, and Boyle are going to be studs for us (currently studs right now). If only our WR corps can be awesome as well........

Love the 3 headed monster we have at TE. Another plus is that none of them are FAs for another 2 years(Crocket is a RFA in 2017 but that shouldn't be a problem)

Edited by 52520Andrew

Nice to see Maxx get his 1st TD in his career. Hopefully, many happy returns. These TEs are definitely a bright spot in a dark and dreary season. 

Peyton. Quick release and quick reads. Quick progression from your 1 to your 2 to your 3. To an extent, Roethlisberger helps with his mobility and pocket awareness. Come on, that was easy ;)

Also reading the defense, identifying where the rush is coming from and communicating assignments to the line pre-snap.

As you mentioned, Peyton did it for years. He had garbage lines in his prime. Rodgers has had some pretty awful lines as well.

Brady's had some good protection, but they've been able to throw some below average guys on their lines who have performed like solid starters or better because Brady makes their job so easy with how quickly he gets the ball out.

Crockett, Gilmore, and Boyle are going to be studs for us (currently studs right now). If only our WR corps can be awesome as well........

Crockett and Gillmore are the same guy... You forgot to throw Maxx Williams in there haha but I think we all know what you meant.

Crockett and Gillmore are the same guy... You forgot to throw Maxx Williams in there haha but I think we all know what you meant.

Lol thanks! Didn't realize that I did that. 

Joe cool makes the TEs look better. He is having a phenomenal season considering the Receivers, oline and run game probs!! Gilmore and Boyle are more of blocking TEs. However they are very intelligent with good hands. When Ravens get a legit #1 WR to stretch defenses Gilmore and Boyle will be quite effective finding openings in zones. However they will never be seam threat playmakers that strike fear in defenses. Maxx was supposed to be the TE that stretched defenses. But who knows what how anybody saw that in his game. Boyle looks faster than maxx and I believe he ran a 5 second 40. And Maxx will never be the dominant blocker like Gilmore and Boyle. If Ravens get a Corey Coleman, will Fuller or Tyler Boyd then Gilmore and Boyle could do some damage finding openings in zones. Gilmore and Boyle will never be playmakers that scare defenses but will be very productive and very respected for their skill in clashing with von millers.

Joe cool makes the TEs look better. He is having a phenomenal season considering the Receivers, oline and run game probs!! Gilmore and Boyle are more of blocking TEs. However they are very intelligent with good hands. When Ravens get a legit #1 WR to stretch defenses Gilmore and Boyle will be quite effective finding openings in zones. However they will never be seam threat playmakers that strike fear in defenses. Maxx was supposed to be the TE that stretched defenses. But who knows what how anybody saw that in his game. Boyle looks faster than maxx and I believe he ran a 5 second 40. And Maxx will never be the dominant blocker like Gilmore and Boyle. If Ravens get a Corey Coleman, will Fuller or Tyler Boyd then Gilmore and Boyle could do some damage finding openings in zones. Gilmore and Boyle will never be playmakers that scare defenses but will be very productive and very respected for their skill in clashing with von millers.

huh

no joe has been pretty bad this year. bad in general. Correct me if I'm wrong but he has more interceptions than touchdowns? could have  had 5 interceptions yesterday.

Crockett is just really good. Maxx will end up showing everyone he's going to be a very very good TE. He's only just turned 21!

Edited by Sami84

huh

no joe has been pretty bad this year. bad in general. Correct me if I'm wrong but he has more interceptions than touchdowns? could have  had 5 interceptions yesterday.

Crockett is just really good. Maxx will end up showing everyone he's going to be a very very good TE. He's only just turned 21!

13 TDs to 10 INTs with 3 Rushing TDs

65% completion

2500 yards

He isnt playing as good as we all hoped obviously, im not going to knock him too much considering who he has to throw to.  The only blessing this year is seeing our TEs develope

Edited by usmccharles

Love the 3 headed monster we have at TE. Another plus is that none of them are FAs for another 2 years(Crocket is a RFA in 2017 but that shouldn't be a problem)

Gillmore isn't an RFA in 2017. He signed a 4-year deal, not a 3-year deal, and he wasn't cut, meaning he's still on his rookie deal as far as I know. Are you sure about this?