RaineV1

Odd men out at receiver

254 posts in this topic

Why all the Campanaro can't stay healthy talk? He had ONE injury and it was a bad hamstring pull that took awhile to heal.

I don't get why people say that he could be cut. That's craziness to me. Harbaugh said he expects big things from him, and last time he did that it was Wagner. Granted, we'll see if that happens again but I think it's unfair to call him competing to make the roster. I can't see Campanaro falling to make the team. Btw, it's Campanaro for anyone who's calling him Campanero. Not that you're calling him that. Just a pet peeve. This isn't Kyle Juszczyk here.

Anyway, to answer your question, Campanaro had injury issues in college IIRC. That's where I think it stems, since they continued to follow him as a pro.

Steve Smith - Safe, no question.

Breshad Perriman - First rounder, safe.

Michael Campanaro - Looked great before hurting his hammy last year. Safe.

Kamar Aiken - Shined at times when given the playing time he's been fighting for his entire career. Safe.

Marlon Brown - Showed what he could do his rookie year. Team could see what he could do with more playing time again. Safe.

Jeremy Butler - Has some measurables and speed, signed as an undrafted free agent. So no real investment thus far. Shaky future.

Aldrick Robinson - Signed and found his way onto the practice squad with Baltimore. Again, no real investment, shaky future.

Darren Waller - Extremely athletic, big bodied receiver. Invested a sixth round pick in him. If he's willing and able to play ST, he should be on the final roster.  Extremely likely he could end up on the practice squad, and risk being plundered.

The way I see the final cut being for receivers is:

Steve Smith

Breshad Perriman

Michael Campanaro

Kamar Aiken

Marlon Brown

Darren Waller

Without any real investments in Butler and Robinson, they'll find themselves cut or on the practice squad, if eligible.

Waller will probably be a practice squadder. If someone wants to take him from the PS, they'll have to sign him to their active roster, which no team would reasonably do since he's such a project. 

I think we carry 5 WRs since we drafted 2 TEs and an RB we'll want to keep.

Love how much competition there is at WR. I think all these young guys are really going to push each other in camp with SSS leading the way and mentoring them. 

I don't think Perriman will get a lot of action in his rookie year.

He has a lot to develop.

SSS, Brown, Aiken, and Camp are going to have to do the heavy lifting this year.

Perriman will just play a couple "nine" routes here and there.

The way I see the final cut being for receivers is:

Steve Smith

Breshad Perriman

Michael Campanaro

Kamar Aiken

Marlon Brown

Darren Waller

Without any real investments in Butler and Robinson, they'll find themselves cut or on the practice squad, if eligible.

Would agree with the top 5. After that, who knows? The upside: we haven't looked this deep and competitive at WR in...ever. Great job for our FO. Looking forward to the battle during training camp. No matter who makes the grade - we'll be a better WR unit for it.

Would agree with the top 5. After that, who knows? The upside: we haven't looked this deep and competitive at WR in...ever. Great job for our FO. Looking forward to the battle during training camp. No matter who makes the grade - we'll be a better WR unit for it.

Yeah, there's a fair amount of variables on who #6 can be: special teams/return game namely.

Yeah, there's a fair amount of variables on who #6 can be: special teams/return game namely.

True. We may get that elite kick returner out of this talent.

Why all the Campanaro can't stay healthy talk? He had ONE injury and it was a bad hamstring pull that took awhile to heal.

campanaro has a injury history dating all the way back to high school i believe. maybe its just college im not sure, but i THINK he has quite the long list of football injuries.

He has a lot to develop.

SSS, Brown, Aiken, and Camp are going to have to do the heavy lifting this year.

you are just wrong, i mean so wrong. torrey smith got the nod as the #2 almost immediately and breshad perriman is miles ahead of where torrey was as a rookie. perriman is capable of much more than just nine routes and you would be killing his value by only sending him out occasionally to run a nine route. brown and aiken simply do not deserve the hype, brown came in under the radar and posted a few wide open td catches as a rookie and then fell off big time and people still latch onto him as our savior, aiken made a few plays late in the season and the same thing is happening. we didnt draft perriman in the first round to let some UDFA depth wr's play over him. if you think perriman is so raw that he wont even see the field except for spread sets then you should stop listening to the naysayers, we have had much worse wide receivers come in as starters and no wr on our team right now besides SSS is even near perrimans caliber, and yes i can confidently say that before even seeing him take an nfl snap

you are just wrong, i mean so wrong. torrey smith got the nod as the #2 almost immediately and breshad perriman is miles ahead of where torrey was as a rookie. perriman is capable of much more than just nine routes and you would be killing his value by only sending him out occasionally to run a nine route. brown and aiken simply do not deserve the hype, brown came in under the radar and posted a few wide open td catches as a rookie and then fell off big time and people still latch onto him as our savior, aiken made a few plays late in the season and the same thing is happening. we didnt draft perriman in the first round to let some UDFA depth wr's play over him. if you think perriman is so raw that he wont even see the field except for spread sets then you should stop listening to the naysayers, we have had much worse wide receivers come in as starters and no wr on our team right now besides SSS is even near perrimans caliber, and yes i can confidently say that before even seeing him take an nfl snap

yeah, if he's healthy he's playing

People saying Perriman can only run fly routes are drinking the same koolaid as those saying the guy absolutely cannot catch. Perriman did run fly routes, but he also ran ALOT of slants, some come backs, and some digs. I also believe a few out routes here and there.

Will he "go long"? Sure, because he's the most fitting player we have at wide out who can do that, but regulating him to just going deep is a disservice to him and the team.

He has a lot to develop.

Harbaugh and the FO, I think, would strongly disagree with your assessment of Perriman, Brown & Aiken. They were comfortable enough with Perriman's abilities to draft him in the 1st round and he & Mad Maxx will start day 1 and grow into the job.

Torrey Smith was by far our most successful rookie WR. I agree that Perriman is better than Torrey in almost every way when both got drafted, but Torrey was a 2nd Round prospect and Perriman was taken in the 1st.

When you get taken in the 1st Round, there will be a lot of expectation. I'm going to wait and see if Perriman can surpass Torrey in year one because it seems the environment is perfect for him to excel with our strong running game and lack of depth at WR.

I'll be happy if he produces like Torrey in year one, but in my opinion, he is perfectly set to produce like Beckham Jr.

Senior

Perriman

Brown

Aiken

Campanarro

Waller

I just can't see it shake out any other way except god forbid nasty injuries. Waller has no chance staying on our PS longer than a minute and is pretty intriguing prospect. Butler, Robinson and Carter have a tall hill to climb to make the roster this year.

SS89

Perriman 

Campanaro

Brown

Aiken

Waller

I see Campanaro taking a big step forward this year if he stays healthy. He'll get his opportunities, especially if SS89 cuts down his snaps. 

I'm with everyone who is against stashing guys on IR. It seems like they don't continue to develop after that, probably because they can't practice with the team the rest of the season. If they do stash Waller, then put Butler on the list. 

They could also still pick up a roster cut, making this decision more difficult. James Jones will be released by Oakland. 

The thing about Brown is that it seems like he can never separate himself from his competition. By all rights he should have been one of the top receivers for the team last season. He stepped up when there wasn't anyone else. And yet Aiken and (when healthy) Camp constantly seemed to beat him out for playing time. If he has another rough preseason, Waller or Butler could take his spot. If he doesn't step it up and actually shine vs his competition, then he's leaving the door open for that possibility.

I think one of the main problems with Brown last year was  not only was he he having trouble getting adjusted to the new offensive scheme but he doesnt stand out on special teams like Aiken and Campanaro. If you a back up player on John Harbaugh team one way to get more playing time on offense or defense is to make plays on special teams

#1: Smith Sr.

#2: Perriman

Slot: Campanaro

#3: Aiken

#4: Brown 

I can def. see Perriman take over in the 2nd half of the season. The way I see it, Perriman, Smith Sr., Campanaro, and Aiken are safe.

Harbaugh's statement after the last game about Smitty having "a role" that may not be an every down role makes me wonder if he'll truly still be the number one.  My depth chart, pending injuries or a player just plain sucking far worse than expect, would look like this:

Perriman

Smitty

Aiken

Brown

Campanaro

Waller

Getting injured last season hurt Butler a lot.  I also think that if Aiken, Brown, or even Waller can completely impress the coaches this offseason that Smitty could even end up being used as mainly a slot receiver.  It's incredibly unlikely though that Waller wins that battle but I definitely look forward to a day when he and Perriman are the outside receivers.  Having two big guys outside that can both go deep would be great for Joe since defenses wouldn't be able to role coverage to one side.

I can def. see Perriman take over in the 2nd half of the season. The way I see it, Perriman, Smith Sr., Campanaro, and Aiken are safe.

Where is Waller? He won't get cut unless he completely bombs playing football and he would not last on the PS. Please don't let them IR him either, hasnt that been proven that it kills receivers chances?

I see SSS as the #1 to start the season and as he tires (similar to last season) and Perriman progresses, the roles become a little more blurred as the season nears and end.

I think in terms of Marlon Brown, Steve Smith Sr summed it up the best 

“A guy came in named Steve Smith Sr.,” Smith responded with a laugh when asked about Brown’s drop in production.

I'm not sure why and where the opinion that Kamar Aiken or Camp outshined Brown comes from. I honestly don't understand it. Maybe its because Marlon didn't score a TD last season and both Aiken and Camp did. But the numbers suggest that Brown played a much larger role in terms of game plan and success of the offense down the stretch of the season. 

If we just look at numbers, Camp was only targeted 9 times all season. How anyone can say he outshined another player is beyond me. But it's not a knock to him because I definitely saw the potential of what he could be in those 9 targets.

Aiken played in a total of 13 games and was target a total of 33 times with 24rec 267yds 3Tds. Down the stretch of the season he was never targeted more then 2 times per game in any of the final 5 games. So during the last 5 games of the season his production looked like this 7 targets 4rec 50yds 1TD

Brown played in the same total of 13 games and was targeted 31 times with 24rec 255yds 0Tds. During the same 5 game stretch to close the season, Brown was targeted more then 5 times in 3 of those 5 games. His production looked like this 21 targets 13rec 141yds 0TDs

Now my point to this wasn't to showcase who was better or not, But for anyone saying Camp and Aiken outshined Brown I just can't see it, again unless you mean with TDs. Just looking at those numbers 80% of Aiken's production came before week 13 while 80% of Brown's proudction came after week 13. What does that all mean in terms of who is safe and who has to fight for a spot, i'd say both those guys better show up with the mindset of competing their butts off to make this team and that should be double true for Camp. 

Also for people so sure about Camp's role as the slot on offense, don't be so sure to bank on that just yet. Again I really like the guy and who he's a big part of the offense and Special Teams. However if you go back and listen to Marc Tresman talk after drafting Maxx Williams he spoke about how much Joe loves his TEs and having that big body in the middle. Tresman spoke about how adding Williams to what we already have, it'll allow us to use more 2TE set that takes 3WRs sets off the field to prevent defenses from running complex Nickle Packages. 

So just from that statement alone, which i'm sure isn't the end all be all, but it just sounds like Tresman wants to really create the match of bigger faster WRs/TEs against base defensive packages. Once the offense might not be operating in a lot of space this year which really suits a guy like Camp, but more so using the bigger more physical guys to work underneath while a guy like Perriman or even Waller can take the top off deep. 

I think it's gonna be fun to see who sticks their head up once all these guys are dropped into that WR competetion. I think the only guy who is a lock is Steve Smith Sr and he'll probably be the guy working the hardest. So all of these young guys better be ready to work.

I think in terms of Marlon Brown, Steve Smith Sr summed it up the best 

“A guy came in named Steve Smith Sr.,” Smith responded with a laugh when asked about Brown’s drop in production.

I'm not sure why and where the opinion that Kamar Aiken or Camp outshined Brown comes from. I honestly don't understand it. Maybe its because Marlon didn't score a TD last season and both Aiken and Camp did. But the numbers suggest that Brown played a much larger role in terms of game plan and success of the offense down the stretch of the season. 

If we just look at numbers, Camp was only targeted 9 times all season. How anyone can say he outshined another player is beyond me. But it's not a knock to him because I definitely saw the potential of what he could be in those 9 targets.

Aiken played in a total of 13 games and was target a total of 33 times with 24rec 267yds 3Tds. Down the stretch of the season he was never targeted more then 2 times per game in any of the final 5 games. So during the last 5 games of the season his production looked like this 7 targets 4rec 50yds 1TD

Brown played in the same total of 13 games and was targeted 31 times with 24rec 255yds 0Tds. During the same 5 game stretch to close the season, Brown was targeted more then 5 times in 3 of those 5 games. His production looked like this 21 targets 13rec 141yds 0TDs

Now my point to this wasn't to showcase who was better or not, But for anyone saying Camp and Aiken outshined Brown I just can't see it, again unless you mean with TDs. Just looking at those numbers 80% of Aiken's production came before week 13 while 80% of Brown's proudction came after week 13. What does that all mean in terms of who is safe and who has to fight for a spot, i'd say both those guys better show up with the mindset of competing their butts off to make this team and that should be double true for Camp. 

Also add that Brown was injured early in the season and that's why he didn't play as much.  Honestly, I also don't get the talk of Marlon being at the bottom between those three.  Especially in a Marc Trestman office where a big man is loved the most.  Smith Sr. is guaranteed a spot amongst the top 2 easily, along with Perriman, but Brown will have to either regress heavily to be behind Aiken and Campanaro.  Either that or the final two need to seriously outshine him.  The fact that Trestman is the OC is also a reason I wouldn't count out a 6'6, 240 soft hands catcher with 4.4 speed. 

All of the sudden, we have what appears to be alot of talent on the receiving end.

This is a GREAT problem to have

Switch around Marlon and Kamar and I'd agree with you. With occasional apearencess by Waller

As it stands I believe our returners to be Campanaro and Webb but i think that changes.

At least a replacement for Webb in that regard.

With Perrimans speed i wouldnt be suprised if he starts off running back kicks.

Edited by WV RAVEN

Any chance we slide Steve Smith to the slot? With all those tall receivers I see Trestman running something similar to what Marshall and Alshon

Also add that Brown was injured early in the season and that's why he didn't play as much.  Honestly, I also don't get the talk of Marlon being at the bottom between those three.  Especially in a Marc Trestman office where a big man is loved the most.  Smith Sr. is guaranteed a spot amongst the top 2 easily, along with Perriman, but Brown will have to either regress heavily to be behind Aiken and Campanaro.  Either that or the final two need to seriously outshine him.  The fact that Trestman is the OC is also a reason I wouldn't count out a 6'6, 240 soft hands catcher with 4.4 speed. 

Agreed. Yea the injury history will be the biggest challenge for Brown imho. Kamar proved to be one heck of a possession type guy and I can't wait to see him with added opportunities, but Brown imo proved to be much more of a play maker when given the opportunity. Or maybe the better way to put it would be he seemed to have more run after catch plays then Aiken. I think the Ravens have really high hopes for Brown this year, I think he's the guy that Smitty mentors the most in terms of replacing him the following year. 

Yea even thought Trestman will be running the offense Kubes left behind, he'll still be allow to add his personality to the offense and he's an much more aggressive guy then Kubes, which is a part of the game that Flacco loves. So any WR that has the ability to make plays down field in this offense will have a shot to produce for this offense imo. 

Any chance we slide Steve Smith to the slot? With all those tall receivers I see Trestman running something similar to what Marshall and Alshon

Yes it's a great chance imo. Even before Marc came aboard as the OC, Harbs was talking about reducing Smith Sr's role in the offense and not asking so much of him to keep him fresh. However losing Torrey put Smitty back in a position where the offense will have to rely on him a lot(at least early) until hopefully these young guys can step up on a consistent bases. 

That's when I expect to see Smitty taking that lesser role, once you have guys like Brown, Aiken, Perriman, Williams and even Juice proving that they can be relied upon. Won't list Pitta for obvious reasons. 

But I don't think his role will be reduced because Trestman wants tall WR, because I think Marc likes physical WRs more then just tall guys and nobody is more physical then Smitty. But if the likes of Brown and Perriman can step up early, then it will appear that Smitty is taking a backseat to the taller WRs, but really it'll just be taking a backseat to younger WRs