RaineV1

Odd men out at receiver

254 posts in this topic

So the Ravens have gone from not enough weapons on offense to possibly too many, a good problem to have mind you. But it's now a situation where some touch decisions have to be made before the season itself starts. I'm going to guess that the Ravens only have 5 receivers on gameday.

Safe bets: There are 3 receivers that'd really have to screw up to lose their their active spots: SSS, Perriman, and Aiken.

Marlon Brown: A good number 3 guy and quality depth. However, he does tend to get outshined by more aggressive receivers. There's a reason he wasn't used as often last season. Camp and Aiken just proved that they should be in the rotation more than him. He has the inside tract for being kept as one of the main group of active receivers, but it's by no means safe.

Campanaro: Very talented slot receiver that did seem to be on the same page as Flacco last season. But there's one little problem, he has a hard time staying healthy. All the talent in the world doesn't help if you can't regularly be in the game.

Waller: He's got two things in his favor: he was just picked in the draft, and his size. He could be intriguing if he shows that he can out play guys on jump balls in the endzone. There aren't many corners that can beat a 6'6" receiver for a jump ball.

Wildcards: Then you have the two wildcards in the mix. First is Butler, who got hurt during preseason last year. He has respectable size, speed, and will fight for the ball. He could be everything the Ravens wanted from Doss. Then there's DeAndre Carter, a guy who seems to be built in the same mold as SSS. I remember one quote about him (from his Coach I think) saying that he's a 5'8" receiver that plays like he's 6'5". He's also a good special teams player, as he was a gunner for the punting squad. And he could potentially be a solid returner.

The coaches could be in store for a very tough decision or two come the start of the season.

Edited by RaineV1

The 6th spot is where the real competition is, pending there are no injuries of course.  Smith, Perriman, Aiken, Brown, and Campanaro are likely safe.  That last spot looks to be a competition between Waller, Butler, Carter, and Robinson.

SSS gonna retire soon. IR Waller, just like we did with Streeter or just carry 6 receivers. The Ravens need to prepare for a SSS-less 2016 season, imho.

Edited by PolishRifle

SSS gonna retire soon. IR Waller, just like we did with Streeter or just carry 6 receivers. The Ravens need to prepare for a SSS-less 2016 season, imho.

Has that ever worked out? Fans suggest it every offseason, but I've yet to see a young player stowed away on IR ever actually play great afterward. They're usually gone in a couple seasons.

So the Ravens have gone from not enough weapons on offense to possibly too many, a good problem to have mind you. But it's now a situation where some touch decisions have to be made before the season itself starts. I'm going to guess that the Ravens only have 5 receivers on gameday.

Safe bets: There are 3 receivers that'd really have to screw up to lose their their active spots: SSS, Perriman, and Aiken.

Marlon Brown: A good number 3 guy and quality depth. However, he does tend to get outshined by more aggressive receivers. There's a reason he wasn't used as often last season. Camp and Aiken just proved that they should be in the rotation more than him. He has the inside tract for being kept as one of the main group of active receivers, but it's by no means safe.

Campanaro: Very talented slot receiver that did seem to be on the same page as Flacco last season. But there's one little problem, he has a hard time staying healthy. All the talent in the world doesn't help if you can't regularly be in the game.

Waller: He's got two things in his favor: he was just picked in the draft, and his size. He could be intriguing if he shows that he can out play guys on jump balls in the endzone. There aren't many corners that can beat a 6'6" receiver for a jump ball.

Wildcards: Then you have the two wildcards in the mix. First is Butler, who got hurt during preseason last year. He has respectable size, speed, and will fight for the ball. He could be everything the Ravens wanted from Doss. Then there's DeAndre Carter, a guy who seems to be built in the same mold as SSS. I remember one quote about him (from his Coach I think) saying that he's a 5'8" receiver that plays like he's 6'5". He's also a good special teams player, as he was a gunner for the punting squad. And he could potentially be a solid returner.

The coaches could be in store for a very tough decision or two come the start of the season.

Another thing you forgot to mention in Waller favor is his soft hands. I think he was a steal in the 6th.

i think the #2 will be perriman, in terms of role and production. i think steve smith takes the #1 in terms of production(targets) and i think he moves around often from the outside to the slot, just to create the best mismatch possible, he is an ideal slot receiver and at his age i think he holds more value there than a full time outside job, i think kamar aiken will typically see alot of snaps as the outside receiver opposite perriman in 3+ wr sets. 

in spread sets where we use 5 wr's i think the most used formation would be perriman on a island, with camp working the slot on his side, with a bunch formation on the opposite side consisting of aiken and brown with smitty being the one lined up off the LOS to take advantage of the size difference and letting smitty get lost in the crowd, it keeps our 2 best receivers separate on the field, and forces too much accountability on each side of the formation for the defense to handle consistently. 

i think we will carry smitty, perriman, aiken, camp, and brown on the active 53, waller gets the ir treatment, butler is the odd man out. i think by year 2 waller is more of an asset than marlon brown and he phases him out on the active 53, if smitty retires then brown stays on the active 53 as the 5th man and sees little playing time as our TE sets would likely be favored over a 5wr set. if brown isnt offered any kind of deal from another team then we keep him around for depth purposes and special teams.

Has that ever worked out? Fans suggest it every offseason, but I've yet to see a young player stowed away on IR ever actually play great afterward. They're usually gone in a couple seasons.

this is true but its something the ravens seem to favor, id prefer to see waller on the active 53 for special teams and as a sideline blocker and redzone guy.

This is tough

Steve Smith Sr

Breshard Perriman

Michael Campanaro (if he's not injured he's going to be a top notch slot guy..he has it all for that position)

The rest is honestly up for grabs. ( no pun intended). 

De Andre Carter has something special..he's a warrior at heart too. Aiken and Butler can be solid players ..i think brown has a marques colston ceiling. Waller could end up being a better version of brown..the thing is they are all different but none i think are a massive level ahead of each other..it will really come down to chemistry between the receivers and joe.

This is going to be a tough tough OTA for WR's to win positions.

I think Camp may be the familiar face that has to go, guy's got talent no question but its all wasted if he can't stay healthy, which he can't. He may be IR'd instead

SSS, Perriman, Aiken, and Brown are pretty much givens (although the article the other day about Aiken and Flacco clicking may have cursed him)

I'm thinking Waller gets stuck in the practice squad or IR'd, that height is tempting but he's raw and could use a year to develop

Preseason is going to be rather important this year for decided which receivers we keep

SSS

Perriman

Brown

Aiken

Butler - I'm a big fan, good size, good speed, solid hands, i think that if he stays healthy he will make the roster

Carter - If Camp gets IR'd or let go then we need a slot guy. Carter is a sleeper, he looks really good and i think he could have some return ability

we could hang on to 7 WRs this year but i doubt it

I don't think that Marlon Brown is guaranteed a roster spot. If I had to guess, I'd say Perriman, Smith Sr are our only two guarantees. We need both for various reasons. Smith will be vital to the development of these young WR. I also believe Campanaro won't go anywhere, since I feel very confident he's in for a big role in some form, whether at WR or RS.

Aiken is a guy I think sticks around as well. He offers too much to go and looked really good as a possession guy.

So, in short, I think Aiken, Perriman, Smith Sr and Campanaro are our safe bets. I think Brown, Waller, Butler, Robinson compete for two spots, possibly three. I can see a guy like Carter stick around as a RS for kick returns.

I couldn't agree more. It's very rare that our IR stashes ever amount to anything.

I doubt there would be much of a market but if they like what they see from Waller they could put Marlon on the trade block and see if there's any takers for like a 7th rounder or maybe a player for player trade like we did with colts a few years ago.

I couldn't agree more. It's very rare that our IR stashes ever amount to anything.

Yep.  I'm pretty much done with the nation of IRing guys just to stash them.  Very few ever amount to anything once they go through that.

I don't think that Marlon Brown is guaranteed a roster spot. If I had to guess, I'd say Perriman, Smith Sr are our only two guarantees. We need both for various reasons. Smith will be vital to the development of these young WR. I also believe Campanaro won't go anywhere, since I feel very confident he's in for a big role in some form, whether at WR or RS.

Aiken is a guy I think sticks around as well. He offers too much to go and looked really good as a possession guy.

So, in short, I think Aiken, Perriman, Smith Sr and Campanaro are our safe bets. I think Brown, Waller, Butler, Robinson compete for two spots, possibly three. I can see a guy like Carter stick around as a RS for kick returns.

Why don't you think Marlon has a spot?  He definitely took a huge step down last year, but they really started using him down the stretch and he started to play really well, especially on 3rd downs.  I won't go as far as to say he's guaranteed, but I think he has plenty of room to breathe right now.

It will be fun to watch. We might have to let someone we like go. Which is always hard. I like Waller just on his size. Perriman is our first pick. Aiken, SSS, and Brown I think are good. Camp is on if he can stay healthy. But i think we have 1 more WR. Making 6 in total. 3 or 4 TE will be another question.

But thats sort of like saying we shouldn't draft Bama players because they rarely work out. Just because it hasn't worked out yet doesn't mean it shouldn't be done at all. It's a good way to hang on to a developmental prospect without using up a roster spot, the problem is that developmental guys rarely work out regardless.

Why don't you think Marlon has a spot?  He definitely took a huge step down last year, but they really started using him down the stretch and he started to play really well, especially on 3rd downs.  I won't go as far as to say he's guaranteed, but I think he has plenty of room to breathe right now.

See I don't understand this at all.  Marlon was forced into starting in 2013 when Jacoby went down, and he caught less than 60 percent of the passes thrown his way.  Then he gets pushed to receiver number 3, all while everyone is learning a new offensive system, and responds by catching 3/4 of the balls thrown his way. Then he goes to the playoffs and catches more balls than Torrey.  Marlon wasn't used as much, but in terms of efficiency he was much better in 2014 than in 2013.  I don't see that as taking a step back considering he was forced out of a starter's gig by virtue of the fact that we brought in a HOF wide receiver to take his spot.

Edited by Ravenslifer

See I don't understand this at all.  Marlon was forced into starting in 2013 when Jacoby went down, and he caught less than 60 percent of the passes thrown his way.  Then he gets pushed to receiver number 3, all while everyone is learning a new offensive system, and responds by catching 3/4 of the balls thrown his way. Then he goes to the playoffs and catches more balls than Torrey.  Marlon wasn't used as much, but in terms of efficiency he was much better in 2014 than in 2013.

He was forced into playing his rookie year, but you also hope he can capitalize and improve on that success in year two.  That didn't happen, and it's not like he really had that much keeping him from the field either.  He had every opportunity to seize that WR3 role and failed to do so early in the year.  He had a rough camp and a rough preseason.  Later in the year, I think he really started to show shades of the guy we saw in his rookie year.  He was effective, but I don't think there's any argument that he took a step down from what we saw his rookie year, especially in the early portions of 2014.  It was a very slow start for him, even rendering him a healthy scratch twice I believe.

The thing about Brown is that it seems like he can never separate himself from his competition. By all rights he should have been one of the top receivers for the team last season. He stepped up when there wasn't anyone else. And yet Aiken and (when healthy) Camp constantly seemed to beat him out for playing time. If he has another rough preseason, Waller or Butler could take his spot. If he doesn't step it up and actually shine vs his competition, then he's leaving the door open for that possibility.

Unfortunately, you can't depend on Campanaro. He'll be a player that has issues week to week. And it's a shame because he's a good receiver.

But thats sort of like saying we shouldn't draft Bama players because they rarely work out. Just because it hasn't worked out yet doesn't mean it shouldn't be done at all. It's a good way to hang on to a developmental prospect without using up a roster spot, the problem is that developmental guys rarely work out regardless.

Can you provide me an instance where it worked out for us? I can't think of one

Why don't you think Marlon has a spot? He definitely took a huge step down last year, but they really started using him down the stretch and he started to play really well, especially on 3rd downs. I won't go as far as to say he's guaranteed, but I think he has plenty of room to breathe right now.

Very true. I don't think I agree with what I said now that I think about it. I think Brown, Aiken, Butler and Waller will all compete for roughly three spots. I think even Carter will compete as well but I think his role will mainly be as a RS. I think Brown, Aiken, Waller and Carter all have a really strong chance to make this football team. We've carried seven before so it's hardly out of the question.

Can you provide me an instance where it worked out for us? I can't think of one

i never said it had ever worked out for us, i even explicitly stated "Just because it hasn't worked out yet"....

i never said it had ever worked out for us, i even explicitly stated "Just because it hasn't worked out yet"....

Oh I understand. I was just trying to see if there was one. I didn't mean to imply sarcasm. That wasn't the case at all. I just subscribe to the belief that WR need real game time experience and I feel like if they don't get it early then they stagnate and just never reach their potential. Usually you see big things from most WR by their third years. Edited by GrimCoconut

Looking at the number of WRs we carry this year assuming 25 offensive players:

QBs = 2, Flacco, Schaub

RB/FB = 4, Forsett, LT, Allen, Juice

O-line = 9

TE = 4, Williams, Gilmore, Supernaw, Boyle, with Pitta IR'd for the year.

WR = 6. With the knowledge SSS won't be back in 2016.

Yep.  I'm pretty much done with the nation of IRing guys just to stash them.  Very few ever amount to anything once they go through that.

Also agree. Stick them on the PS and take your chances.

Marlon Brown will shine this year. He has alot of potential and we saw a glimpse of that his rookie year. His ROOKIE YEAR. Give the man 3 years before you blast him. Hes 6'5" and big with strong hands. I guarantee he will do very well this year. I see Marlon and Perriman rotating along with SSS, of course depending on the offensive packages we choose.

I've got Smith, Perriman, Aiken, Brown, and Camp making the roster. We may have more than one spot after them depending on how the KR/PR situation plays out.

Why all the Campanaro can't stay healthy talk? He had ONE injury and it was a bad hamstring pull that took awhile to heal.