Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Photo

Could Taliaferro challege Bernard for #2 spot?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cushrinada1986

cushrinada1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

We know Bernard Pierce will have his first chance to play as a starter back this season against cinci and the following but and I do think he has the ability to succeed but what if the run game that big tali provided wasnt just preseason junk yards and he continues making the same amount of yards in the regular season? What do we do with Bernard and more importantly Rice once he returns?

#2 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

If Bernard gets hit hard and can't go or has another concussion he can. If Forsett fumbles again LT will be getting the bulk of the carries until Ray comes back.

post-53455-0-40820000-1365601474_thumb.j

#3 Florida Ravens Fan

Florida Ravens Fan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

Bernard didn't impress me much, I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think he is going to do too good. He looked slow when he ran in the games. 

Posted Image

#4 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

If Pierce can stay healthy then probably not, he won't lose the starting job because of one game, he'll get the two starts most likely regardless of how he plays the first game. If he gets hurt again and LT plays well in the first game then its definitely possible he gets the start in the second game, but from what i see he isn't really the back to rely on right away, right now he is a one cut power back through and through, his game isn't versatile enough to handle the load right now

#5 5aiah

5aiah

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

Well for one I hope not but at this point it's very likely. Like I've said before I don't think an early year of wear and tear is good for him especially while he's still learning the game. It's not like he's the second string back at any point this year from the start. Really I just want him used for goal line situations and to have that year of conditioning under his belt come next season. He's got potential, especially for zone running, but he's still rough around the edges.

#6 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

It will be Pierce's to loose. If, heaven forbid, he gets hurt or starts loosing the ball again like he did for a few games last year, then I see Taliaferro getting the job over Forsett. However, during these first two games, I think that Pierce will be going strong. He is well aware that this will be the biggest spotlight for him while he is with the Ravens as long as Rice is healthy. Peirce will take full advantage of this opportunity and will secure his position as the second RB.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

#7 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

I think so!

#Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I don’t care about the opponent. They’re nameless, gray faces!"

- Mike Tomlin

#8 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

We'll see. I think he could, but it appears to me that we're going RB by committee without a set #1, #2, and #3. Pierce is the workhorse, LT is the short yardage guy, and Rice is the passing threat guy. 

Imo, Pierce should be the starter with LT as the change of pace back. Rice should be the 3rd down back so we can extend his career just a little bit more. Why let him take the big hits getting carries when he's always been more effective catching than rushing?

#9 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

I would like to see it.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#10 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

I think it is possible he could take over as the #1 RB eventually. I think the best kind of RB are the tough, hard-to-bring-down, nasty RB--like Jamal Lewis and even Lynch. Those guys are the epitome of RBs to me, and I think Lorenzo could very well become that kind of player for us. It's not a slight on Pierce but more of a testament to the skill and power I see Lorenzo run. He looks special. 

#11 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

Not for the first two games no.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him steal carries in goal line situations however, throughout the season.  Ray Rice looked phenomenal in the preseason in terms of his speed, cuts, quickness, and ability to break tackles.  Taliaferro didn't look all that impressive when getting carries against better players.  The bulk of his best runs (most of them) came against 3rd and mainly 4th string guys.

In summation, expect him to get goal line carries but not much more.

2yno6dx.png

#12 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:44 AM

Taliaferro needs to run with his pads lower. Staying upright not only robs him of extra yards but also leaves the ball more exposed to a direct hit from a shoulder or helmet that knocks it free from his grasp. He also needs to prove he can handle pass protection. though from what I understand, that was one of his strengths in college.

#13 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

^^^^ some one should tell him that....
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#14 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Could he? Absolutely. Do I think he will? Probably not this season.

#15 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

All you gotta do is look at Lynch last night against Green Bay and you know Pierce really is an average to decent back. Nothing special.

I think Lorenzo will be the no 2 back by the end of the year.

#16 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:41 PM

Looks like we got our answer, but it's not Taliaferro who challenged him for the #2 but Forsett, and it seems like he won the throwdown. 

#17 cushrinada1986

cushrinada1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

Im thinking Tali will end up being what Anothony Allen should have been, a down hill option for short yardage. 

#18 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:43 PM

I think so!

#Mili

I called it!  Pierce was benched yesterday and Rice released today!

@Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I don’t care about the opponent. They’re nameless, gray faces!"

- Mike Tomlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users