Ravens at Bengals      Pro Bowl Voting      #RavensPumpkin      Game Rewind   

Photo

Does Keeping a Full Complement of Receivers put Pressure on Smith and Brown?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Contract year for T. SMITH, looks like he has a herd of horses breathing down his neck now. I think he deserves an extension, but if cap is high, FO has some younger options in their back pocket now. It will be interesting to see him play this year. Thoughts?
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

#2 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

I don't think Thompson or Aiken affect Torrey. I think Torrey turns regardless. Smith Sr will be unlikely to get re-signed in three years when his deal is up, which will coincide with Campanaro entering his fourth year. Deonte and Kamar are both RFAs next year and could be traded or underperform this year and get cut. If Marlon Brown regresses then he could also be a concern and may have to fight for his job depending. There's a good chance we'll take a WR regardless next year, since we've drafted at least one every year for a total of 15/19 drafts. We've drafted a total of 21 WR drafted in franchise history, which is the most of any position. Then again, thus could be a draft where we wait and take one in 2016. Either course of action is possible but regardless, Torrey is likely to stay and I doubt anyone on the roster currently changes that.

#3 Kid87

Kid87

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

No pressure Torrey....I think a little pressure is on Marlon Brown just to see if he can be a consistent threat.  I feel like Thompson really improved, or maybe i just didn't pay attention to him last year. Thompson and Marlon will be competing for the #4 WR. Jacoby Jones has more pressure on him then any of the wide-outs. This will be a very important year for him. 

#4 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

I really want to see more from Marlon Brown.  Guy has so much potential and was outstanding for an URFA.  Hope to see him make some improvement this season.

2yno6dx.png

#5 Crabcakes&Football

Crabcakes&Football

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Torrey is way better than any of those guys. I believe he'll continue to improve this year and become one of the best at his position, pressure or not. Marlon Brown will almost certainly see less targets and playing time this year, and may not be as productive, but he can still improve his skills, as long as he does that he'll be fine. 

Enjoy the Ride.
Posted Image

#6 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,283 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

No pressure on Torrey or any of the other 3, but I do think in part it's a "just in case" scenario, like when we drafted Pierce in Rice's contract year or Taylor 2 years before Flacco's contract - in case these guys leave, there's at least someone who's been here and knows the system so it's not like starting completely from scratch.  The FO is always thinking a few years ahead, and they've certainly played out the very unlikely scenario that Torrey leaves and they've got to replace him, just like they do with every player on the roster.  But more, I think it's about not wanting to let certain guys hit the street without a very good reason e.g. a very good players is available to be added late, like the way we added TJ Houshmandazeh in September of 2010.  Otherwise, the players they could have kept over the receivers were just not going to add the same dimensions to the team as having all three of DT, Aiken, and Camp on the roster at the same time would.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 31 August 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#7 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

I see Torrey as catching the 3rd most passes but having the highest average which could possibly keep him in the 7-8 mil range but yet again the Dolphins paid Wallace 13 mil a season.

Brown probally has the most pressure and has to be more consistent with his hands.

#8 pep_meister

pep_meister

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

crazy that you think torrey has pressure with thompson and aiken remaining on the roster.

#RAVENSNATION

- ROOTING FOR WILL HILL SINCE 7/25/14-

#9 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:42 PM

A full complement of receivers is what this team's lacked for most of it's existence.

Would rather have one too many than three too few.

Torrey's under more pressure because it's a contract year.

Marlon's under more pressure because he's had a poor camp and preseason.

This would still be the case even if we didn't have Sr, Camp, DT & Aiken.

#10 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

I don't think Thompson or Aiken affect Torrey. I think Torrey turns regardless. Smith Sr will be unlikely to get re-signed in three years when his deal is up, which will coincide with Campanaro entering his fourth year. Deonte and Kamar are both RFAs next year and could be traded or underperform this year and get cut. If Marlon Brown regresses then he could also be a concern and may have to fight for his job depending. There's a good chance we'll take a WR regardless next year, since we've drafted at least one every year for a total of 15/19 drafts. We've drafted a total of 21 WR drafted in franchise history, which is the most of any position. Then again, thus could be a draft where we wait and take one in 2016. Either course of action is possible but regardless, Torrey is likely to stay and I doubt anyone on the roster currently changes that.

If Torrey is resigned then i completely disagree that we are likely to take a WR in the draft next year. Plain and simple we don't need one, We already have a ton of young talent in T. Smith, M. Brown, Thompson, Camp, Aiken and Butler, adding another WR would just make the situation crowded. The new guy would get no snaps and it would be a waste of a pick. Previous draft history tells you nothing of what we'll take next year. This is the first time in many years that we've been good at WR and had young guys improving behind the starters, so the fact that we've taken receivers in almost every draft doesnt really mean anything in regards to the current situation where we are stacked at WR. There is a much larger chance in 2016 where S. Smith will likely be leaving us and we have the season to evaluate the young guys we've already got with bigger roles. I think this draft coming up will be Defense heavy (i know people hate to hear that considering that how most of our drafts go, but Defense is where we need the most help). If i had to guess i would say we'll go Dline with the first pick or a FS is a good enough guy is available (i know people want to give Brooks a shot but if a guy good enough is there i would support the pick) or less likely a RB like Gordon or Yeldon. This of course is assuming that T. Smith is resigned, if he isn't i think we'll take a WR high maybe even in the first.

#11 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

for this year? no, but if those young guys continue to improve then it could put pressure on them in the future, moreso Brown than Torrey since T. Smith is like to get an extension this year but Brown will have to wait until his contract is up. If those guys continue to improve it could make Brown less of a priority to resign

#12 Ravensuperfan1

Ravensuperfan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

nope.

There's always pressure, but the only other proven playmakers are Jacoby, Steve Smith and Pitta.

Other players are unproven when it counts. Well not Owen Daniels but he's got to prove he's still got something left in the tank

Edited by Ravensuperfan1, 01 September 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#13 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:27 PM

It will definitely be interesting to see him play this year, undoubtedly. We do have young talent in our back pockets, however, totally unproven. Torrey is the franchise WR we've been looking for forever, none of the other guys come close. Both Smith and Brown have pressure to perform, but they would regardless (especially an undrafted guy like Brown). 

Edited by TDubbs, 01 September 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#14 redlobster

redlobster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Torrey is the best WR the Ravens have drafted by far and easily the top 3 they have had, in no particular order : Boldin ,Smith Sr, Torrey, Mason

#15 Stone

Stone

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Torrey will get resigned. I don't know when, but it will happen. He's a hometown hero and will have a great year. The other options at receiver will only make him better where last year teams could focus on him more. It will be interesting to see how a two tight end coach like Kubiak will utilize these guys cause I could definitely see some killer 4 wideout sets.

Geez! We got some awesome options with pass catchers this year! Even the potential Juice and Gilmore showed just adds to it.

#16 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

pressure is on marlon brown, not on torrey, torrey gets his contract, the ravens simply dont let players like this walk when they have this kind of relationship with them, look how much they have done to keep sizzle around this long, ed reed, mason, etc. torrey is one of the faces of this franchise, and is still very young and healthy, and one of the most high character guys in the whole league, and hasnt even hit his prime yet. torrey will be here for at least another contract in its entirety, he has nothing to worry about, the guy could be here past 2020 if he manages to stay healthy

#17 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

If Torrey is resigned then i completely disagree that we are likely to take a WR in the draft next year. Plain and simple we don't need one, We already have a ton of young talent in T. Smith, M. Brown, Thompson, Camp, Aiken and Butler, adding another WR would just make the situation crowded. The new guy would get no snaps and it would be a waste of a pick. Previous draft history tells you nothing of what we'll take next year. This is the first time in many years that we've been good at WR and had young guys improving behind the starters, so the fact that we've taken receivers in almost every draft doesnt really mean anything in regards to the current situation where we are stacked at WR. There is a much larger chance in 2016 where S. Smith will likely be leaving us and we have the season to evaluate the young guys we've already got with bigger roles. I think this draft coming up will be Defense heavy (i know people hate to hear that considering that how most of our drafts go, but Defense is where we need the most help). If i had to guess i would say we'll go Dline with the first pick or a FS is a good enough guy is available (i know people want to give Brooks a shot but if a guy good enough is there i would support the pick) or less likely a RB like Gordon or Yeldon. This of course is assuming that T. Smith is resigned, if he isn't i think we'll take a WR high maybe even in the first.

we thought we were good at WR last year, everyone was so certain that either doss or thompson were going to take some huge step forward. 

i dont think we have all this talent or a crowded WR position, we have an excellent stopgap in steve smith, one of the best #2's in the league in torrey, but still no true #1 for the future. i am not sold on marlon brown because his sophomore slump is just looking flat out ugly, aiken and butler have shown nothing to make us believe they should be out there starting(marlon performed well against starting defenses last preseason, aiken and butler havent performed half as well against players who arent even in the league at the moment) thompson is gonna be thompson, freakishly fast, freakishly clueless, and freakishly bad hands, he blows minds every preseason, and then looks worthless in the regular season and makes nothing of his snaps, i dont see any reason he wont do the same. campanaro is unproven and very undersized, needs a good 10-15 lbs of muscle before he can play consistently, but does have huge potential. after that, we have no receivers to name besides jacoby, and well, he is a nice 4th option, and a playmaker, but weve seen what happens when we target him too often, he just doesnt quite have the right stuff for a high snap count every week. 

if steve decides to retire after his 2nd year with us, then we have torrey, and jacoby, everybody else is unproven and pretty underwhelming at this point, and aiken and butler just arent gonna make some leap from where they are now to being a starting NFL WR in one offseason. 

taking a WR early next year would be smart for the team, we have 2 burners and a very short term stopgap, we are not crowded at WR, we just have too many bodies in a position we are going to desperate for in the near future.

#18 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

You can completely disagree all you want. I don't care. We have a ton of young talent but that doesn't mean anything. There's more to it than that. You can't say just because you have Deonte and Aiken (both of whom could be gone by next year, one of which could be gone this year) or Campanaro or even Marlon Brown (who could regress) or Steve Smith Sr (who's really old). This WR corps is talented but there's many question marks. It's not as strong as people think.

With that said I agree with you that it's very likely we go defense again next year. There are big changes coming. The DL, FS, CB. Those positions are of potential great need. I don't see us ever dressing a RB again in the first. The value isn't there anymore.

#19 admartian

admartian

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

I've been so impressed y Smith Sr. Let's hope he really does bring that needed Vet wilyness we've missed since Q.

#FlaccoProBowl2014 (Aug 2014 prediction)

Win or lose, I believe.

PS4 is WOW!

#20 Stone

Stone

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:16 PM

Thing is we never draft high enough where the "sure thing" receivers are (a true sign how competitive our GM keeps this team year in year out) and with Suggs and Doom up there in age, no Free Safety, and health issues at corner, I don't see how they will not go defense early again. Then again that's "right now" thinking. We'll just have to see how these guys do this year. We all know it's BP come draft time and I'm gonna really have my eyes on the tackle position. We need Monroe to be more than solid all season long,and a first year rookie on the right? We'll just have to wait and see. I have faith in the line though. I'm excited either way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users