Photo

Keeping 7 receivers? But LaQuan was cut?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Seems like receiver was not a position the Ravens would need much from after the top 4.  And anything after 4... the only one I can say showed ANY promise or potential was Deonte Thompson.

Any receivers after that I would assume are only kept for special teams.

How in the world do you let LaQuan Willaims walk... who was awesome on special teams, but also showed he can play receiver when called upon.  But keep guys like... Aiken and Butler(IR).  Aiken in particular looked horrible this preseason.

Gotta question "Harbaugh's doghouse" again.  He just seems to have certain guys he doesn't like and whether it's good for the team or not... he will not play them.

With Kubiak coming to town, I already question if we're going to run his favorite tight-end heavy offense.  It just doesn't fit the talent the Ravens have.  So if we're keeping this many receivers, I sure hope I see more 3 receiver sets, and even 4 receivers when the situation allows.  These first couple weeks when the running game won't have Rice would be a perfect time to try it.

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

The guy has done nothing all off/preseason...

There's no doghouse. LaQuan did well to beat the odds and carve out a nice little career, but it was clear he was behind 8 or 9 guys this go around.

#3 5aiah

5aiah

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

The only way we can run a tight end heavy offense is if Crockett Gillmore(who I have big hopes for as our first all around TE since Heap) is able to start and fill a big role. Owen Daniels should mainly be kept as an insurance policy in case Pitta goes down. Keep Owen fresh and just practicing and let Crockett be the other starting TE.

#4 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

Laquan was cut because he has been here for 4 years and has never done anything.There are plenty of guys on the roster who can actually play wr or have WAY more potential at wr and can also do just as good on special teams as he did.Just look at the tackle Marlon made a few weeks ago.Also,there's already another thread discussing wr's so this is probably going to get merged or locked.

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS, 30 August 2014 - 11:31 PM.

#5 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:29 PM

I think it may be taking it to far to say Laquan Williams was awesome on special teams. The guy made some plays here and there but he wasn't our best special teamer and he always seem to have trouble staying healthy. Does it really make sense for us to even re-sign Laquan Williams if he was going to automatically be in Harbaugh dog house? This was Williams first time not seeing much playing time ever in preseason and he honestly just got beat out by the other receivers fair and square.

We are technically no stranger to the so called tight end heavy offense because back in 2011 we ran alot of two tight end sets.

Edited by jazz1988, 30 August 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#6 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

Because the others were clearly better...

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#7 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

Well what does the 6ft 205lb wr bring to the table that the other shorter wrs don't
Clearly he isn't steve smith or Torrey smith so that's out
He isn't faster than Thompson who has stepped up and is a good returner or camp who has also shown some elusiveness as a returner

So maybe we move a taller guy, well not jacoby who has made big plays and knows the system and not brown because who lets 9tds walk out the door. So that leaves keeping him over Aiken despite Aiken out playing him

Nope Laquan just didnt fit and didnt offer something that someone else already offers plus some

#8 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

This "dog house" thing comes up almost as much as the
"Harbs family" thing.
its quite silly.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#9 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:08 AM

LQW.png

He was never even a starter at MD. He barely saw the field on offense during his college years.

He was always going to be the longest of shots to stick in the NFL as a WR.

#10 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:14 AM

Lol, Laquan is nothing more than a ST player. Gotta do more than that if you wanna stick.

@gabefergy

#11 5aiah

5aiah

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:52 AM

He was a feel good local story, but life isn't a fairy tale.

#12 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:27 AM

I'll remember his catches against the Steelers for the sweep. He didn't show anything to keep him above the guys on the roster though.

Edited by redrum52, 31 August 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#13 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,846 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:30 AM

What has LaQuan shown over these seven guys? 

#14 Gtown Purple

Gtown Purple

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:17 AM

Quan has been here awhile and hasn't been able to be more than ST. if that is the case why not give some youth a try to see if they can be more. We won't be carrying 7 WR all year. There will be moves before the season and during.

#15 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,107 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:35 AM

I love this age old Williams love fest. I was a fan of his while he was here but let's face it--he's just not good enough. He's a decent player but average won't take you that far on the NFL. As another already said, we won't re-sign him and have him automatically in the doghouse. That's stupid. Lol. I think you're being a bit emotional here.

#16 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,589 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

I guess he was in the Patriots dog house, too, since they also cut him.
15fqib6.jpg

#17 SomeCreepinaVan

SomeCreepinaVan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

I love this age old Williams love fest. I was a fan of his while he was here but let's face it--he's just not good enough. He's a decent player but average won't take you that far on the NFL. As another already said, we won't re-sign him and have him automatically in the doghouse. That's stupid. Lol. I think you're being a bit emotional here.

But Laquan helped us sweep the Steelers 3 years ago lol.

It's sad to see him go because you could tell he really loved being here. He's yet another player of our Superbowl team gone.

Huge fan of PoesCrows and Sami84

#18 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

"Harbs doghouse"....hahahahaha!
Posted Image

#19 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

he was one of the better ST players on this team over the years, aside from ayanbadejo i would say our top 2 special teamers were laquan and anthony allen, i would have liked to keep laquan as a STer but he isnt anything special as a receiver, i was on his bandwagon big time a few years back but its obvious that it was just the hometown hype

#20 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

The guys they kept dwarf LaQuan's talent as an actual WR.  I still like how people thought we'd cut Campy after we essentially spent two picks on him...only to give up on him after 3 months lol.

Clearly LaQuan wasn't irreplaceable on STs so they let him go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users