Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edreedfromtheu

Keeping 7 receivers? But LaQuan was cut?

31 posts in this topic

Seems like receiver was not a position the Ravens would need much from after the top 4.  And anything after 4... the only one I can say showed ANY promise or potential was Deonte Thompson.

Any receivers after that I would assume are only kept for special teams.

How in the world do you let LaQuan Willaims walk... who was awesome on special teams, but also showed he can play receiver when called upon.  But keep guys like... Aiken and Butler(IR).  Aiken in particular looked horrible this preseason.

Gotta question "Harbaugh's doghouse" again.  He just seems to have certain guys he doesn't like and whether it's good for the team or not... he will not play them.

With Kubiak coming to town, I already question if we're going to run his favorite tight-end heavy offense.  It just doesn't fit the talent the Ravens have.  So if we're keeping this many receivers, I sure hope I see more 3 receiver sets, and even 4 receivers when the situation allows.  These first couple weeks when the running game won't have Rice would be a perfect time to try it.

The guy has done nothing all off/preseason...

There's no doghouse. LaQuan did well to beat the odds and carve out a nice little career, but it was clear he was behind 8 or 9 guys this go around.

The only way we can run a tight end heavy offense is if Crockett Gillmore(who I have big hopes for as our first all around TE since Heap) is able to start and fill a big role. Owen Daniels should mainly be kept as an insurance policy in case Pitta goes down. Keep Owen fresh and just practicing and let Crockett be the other starting TE.

Laquan was cut because he has been here for 4 years and has never done anything.There are plenty of guys on the roster who can actually play wr or have WAY more potential at wr and can also do just as good on special teams as he did.Just look at the tackle Marlon made a few weeks ago.Also,there's already another thread discussing wr's so this is probably going to get merged or locked.

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS

I think it may be taking it to far to say Laquan Williams was awesome on special teams. The guy made some plays here and there but he wasn't our best special teamer and he always seem to have trouble staying healthy. Does it really make sense for us to even re-sign Laquan Williams if he was going to automatically be in Harbaugh dog house? This was Williams first time not seeing much playing time ever in preseason and he honestly just got beat out by the other receivers fair and square.

We are technically no stranger to the so called tight end heavy offense because back in 2011 we ran alot of two tight end sets.

Edited by jazz1988

Well what does the 6ft 205lb wr bring to the table that the other shorter wrs don't

Clearly he isn't steve smith or Torrey smith so that's out

He isn't faster than Thompson who has stepped up and is a good returner or camp who has also shown some elusiveness as a returner

So maybe we move a taller guy, well not jacoby who has made big plays and knows the system and not brown because who lets 9tds walk out the door. So that leaves keeping him over Aiken despite Aiken out playing him

Nope Laquan just didnt fit and didnt offer something that someone else already offers plus some

This "dog house" thing comes up almost as much as the

"Harbs family" thing.

its quite silly.

LQW.png

He was never even a starter at MD. He barely saw the field on offense during his college years.

He was always going to be the longest of shots to stick in the NFL as a WR.

Lol, Laquan is nothing more than a ST player. Gotta do more than that if you wanna stick.

I'll remember his catches against the Steelers for the sweep. He didn't show anything to keep him above the guys on the roster though.

Edited by redrum52

Quan has been here awhile and hasn't been able to be more than ST. if that is the case why not give some youth a try to see if they can be more. We won't be carrying 7 WR all year. There will be moves before the season and during.

I love this age old Williams love fest. I was a fan of his while he was here but let's face it--he's just not good enough. He's a decent player but average won't take you that far on the NFL. As another already said, we won't re-sign him and have him automatically in the doghouse. That's stupid. Lol. I think you're being a bit emotional here.

I love this age old Williams love fest. I was a fan of his while he was here but let's face it--he's just not good enough. He's a decent player but average won't take you that far on the NFL. As another already said, we won't re-sign him and have him automatically in the doghouse. That's stupid. Lol. I think you're being a bit emotional here.

But Laquan helped us sweep the Steelers 3 years ago lol.

It's sad to see him go because you could tell he really loved being here. He's yet another player of our Superbowl team gone.

he was one of the better ST players on this team over the years, aside from ayanbadejo i would say our top 2 special teamers were laquan and anthony allen, i would have liked to keep laquan as a STer but he isnt anything special as a receiver, i was on his bandwagon big time a few years back but its obvious that it was just the hometown hype

The guys they kept dwarf LaQuan's talent as an actual WR.  I still like how people thought we'd cut Campy after we essentially spent two picks on him...only to give up on him after 3 months lol.

Clearly LaQuan wasn't irreplaceable on STs so they let him go.

Seems like receiver was not a position the Ravens would need much from after the top 4.  And anything after 4... the only one I can say showed ANY promise or potential was Deonte Thompson.

Any receivers after that I would assume are only kept for special teams.

How in the world do you let LaQuan Willaims walk... who was awesome on special teams, but also showed he can play receiver when called upon.  But keep guys like... Aiken and Butler(IR).  Aiken in particular looked horrible this preseason.

Gotta question "Harbaugh's doghouse" again.  He just seems to have certain guys he doesn't like and whether it's good for the team or not... he will not play them.

With Kubiak coming to town, I already question if we're going to run his favorite tight-end heavy offense.  It just doesn't fit the talent the Ravens have.  So if we're keeping this many receivers, I sure hope I see more 3 receiver sets, and even 4 receivers when the situation allows.  These first couple weeks when the running game won't have Rice would be a perfect time to try it.

Laquan did absolutely nothing during the preseason. What exactly made you think he should have made the team.

We all loved Quan coming in but it was obvious he was never going to make the team.  It was nice to see him make it his rookie year since he is local and friends with Torrey.

He got some playing time, won a Super Bowl with us.  What more can we ask?  He maxed out his potential and accomplished a ton considering his situation.  Most guys never see time on offense besides ST.  This guy got a few catches and won a ring.  I'm sure he his not completely disappointed with his career.

Laquan did absolutely nothing during the preseason. What exactly made you think he should have made the team.

Laquan was cut from the Patriots for an off-the-field incident at a Miami club that was later cleared of any wrong-doing on his part (a PR casualty), not because of his potential on the field. He's one of the good guys. If he simply got beaten-out for a spot - he'd just give his congrats and move-on. A lot can happen in an NFL season. There's still a chance that he may even see the field this season in a Ravens uniform so let's not give-up on him, yet. He's like a brother to Torrey and Harb really liked and respected him enough to give him a shot to resurrect his career. Who knows? Maybe it's not over. Just wish him the best. Personally, I think every NFL team should be required to have one 'native' player from the city they represent. That player could go along way sometimes in helping a team 'identify' with what they're playing for from a 'real' personal perspective. Just a thought.

Edited by jkm5bmore

Plus, Quan never took the ice bucket challenge!

Exactly. How can we trust him if he won't step up for the challenge

Laquan was cut from the Patriots for an off-the-field incident at a Miami club that was later cleared of any wrong-doing on his part (a PR casualty), not because of his potential on the field. He's one of the good guys. If he simply got beaten-out for a spot - he'd just give his congrats and move-on. A lot can happen in an NFL season. There's still a chance that he may even see the field this season in a Ravens uniform so let's not give-up on him, yet. He's like a brother to Torrey and Harb really liked and respected him enough to give him a shot to resurrect his career. Who knows? Maybe it's not over. Just wish him the best. Personally, I think every NFL team should be required to have one 'native' player from the city they represent. That player could go along way sometimes in helping a team 'identify' with what they're playing for from a 'real' personal perspective. Just a thought.

He sure didn't show anything on the team this year. Not the mention we have several Baltimore area players (Torrey, Campanero, maybe some more). No that your proposed rule makes any sense.

I don't understand it either. Why would they release a guy who has had many chances over the years and not done much of anything with them, and instead keep young kids who we'd like to see more from? Makes no sense!

LaQuan is obviously talented and is a good special teams player, but he didn't show up this preseason. This is a 'what have you done for me lately' league. Other players outperformed him. Fair is fair.

Edited by RobFuseRaven