27 replies to this topic

#1 wademan2636

wademan2636

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

I have noticed that, in this preseason, the Ravens have used a bunch of different people to return both kicks and punts.  

This topic is under the premise that A.  Asa Jackson gets healthy and is ready for game 1, B.  Both Camp and Deonte make the team, and C.  Jacoby is still an option

Who do you guys think will be the primary return men?  I would love to gage your opinions on who you thought were the best guys for the job.

#2 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

I just don't see Deonte making the 53. As you said, we have Jacoby, Asa, Camp (if he makes it) and Forsett (who you didn't mention) who can all return kicks. Camp offers more as a receiver than Deonte, so I would assume he makes the team. It's just not worth it to keep him when we have so many other guys that will make the team regardless.

#3 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

Jacoby is your main Returner this year KR and PR. I think they want to keep ASA healthy so he will only PR in emergency situations. Camp will probably get most of the PR work as they ease him into the season and may spell Jacoby from time to time. I really like Deonte but with Wenning playing well and us needing the extra corner. Deonte may not make the roster.

post-53455-0-40820000-1365601474_thumb.j

#4 PurplePassion824

PurplePassion824

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

I think Jacoby is still the main guy.  I think they didn't want to risk an injury to Jacoby.  I didn't mind what I saw from Campanero last night.

#5 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Jacoby looked really slow for some reason.  Hopefully that goes away when the season starts.  If it was up to me I'd have Deonte Thompson starting as KR and leave Jacoby at PR.  

I think Asa is more of a risk than Jacoby at this point in his career.  DT was our best returner this offseason including the opportunities that Jacoby had.  I don't trust him as a punt returner though.  Prolly see Jacoby starting at PR and Asa as the backup.

In any case, DT is the most expendable guy we have.  I'd start him for kick returns.

Edited by dhstandard, 29 August 2014 - 02:03 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#6 Ravensuperfan1

Ravensuperfan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Jacoby is #1, Deonte or Asa should be number 2. I'd go with Asa but either one

#7 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

Michael Campanaro has proven to be a reasonably good return guy. As he is further down on the depth chart from Jacoby and with Jacoby seeming to be slowing a little I could see Camp taking over. As thin as we are at CB, I do not see them giving the return job to Asa and I am not at all sure that Donte will be sticking around.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

#8 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

Michael Campanaro has proven to be a reasonably good return guy. As he is further down on the depth chart from Jacoby and with Jacoby seeming to be slowing a little I could see Camp taking over. As thin as we are at CB, I do not see them giving the return job to Asa and I am not at all sure that Donte will be sticking around.

Well, perhaps we all forget the days when Webb was arguably our best CB (okay...he wasn't viewed that way but he was our best CB) and he was returning punts and we all feared he would get hurt?  Webb was the #3 then when we had Carr/Washington/Foxworth, and he still returned punts as the third CB. 

#9 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Well, perhaps we all forget the days when Webb was arguably our best CB (okay...he wasn't viewed that way but he was our best CB) and he was returning punts and we all feared he would get hurt?  Webb was the #3 then when we had Carr/Washington/Foxworth, and he still returned punts as the third CB. 

Yes, I a cringed every time he did. I just do not want to go through that again. But then again, I don't get paid to make that decision. So I guess we will all find out on Sunday if I get my wish.  :)

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

#10 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

Anyone but asa and webb

#11 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,242 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:16 AM

Any mix of Jacoby, Deonte and Campanaro - probably in that order of frequency. Webb I could live with for rare punt returns if he goes out specifically to call a fair catch (think back to Pittsburgh 2011. There are times where a sure pair of hands is the most important thing imo).

#12 PurpleSnowman

PurpleSnowman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:28 AM

Deonte will probably return kicks and Campanaro will return punts. I don't think we would have retained Deonte if we didn't have plans for him on ST, and Camp has shown he has great hands and quickness fielding punts. 

#13 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

JJ does both to start.
Posted Image

#14 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,651 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

I think Jacoby is still the main guy!  But it is always good to have a few others in pocket as well!

#Mili

@Mili

mili1.png

"Hunt!  Hunt!  Hunt!  Keep Hunting!  Until You Put'em on Your Wall!"

- Ray Lewis

#15 03tsal

03tsal

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

Although Jacoby is excellent in this department, it is a very injury prone position.  I would let Deonte return kickoffs & Campanaro return punts

#16 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

I think you put Deonte on KR and allow Jacoby to do PR initially. This way when first down hits Jacoby is fresh along with Pita and the Smiths to put some pressure on the defense.

#17 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

I would guess JJ would be your primary guy, but it wouldn't shock me to see Asa return punts. It's odd how some teams will use their top players at return positions. Just look at Seattle with Thomas. Although, I'm not sure if there's any statistical evidence to support the claim that it's more likely to have an injury occur during a return than any other time

#18 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

I would guess JJ would be your primary guy, but it wouldn't shock me to see Asa return punts. It's odd how some teams will use their top players at return positions. Just look at Seattle with Thomas. Although, I'm not sure if there's any statistical evidence to support the claim that it's more likely to have an injury occur during a return than any other time

I like putting our playmakers back there when we need a big time play ala Desean Jackson for the Eagles at PR. Ed Reed used to be back there because we knew he could make plays and was sure handed at catching them.

#19 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

I like putting our playmakers back there when we need a big time play ala Desean Jackson for the Eagles at PR. Ed Reed used to be back there because we knew he could make plays and was sure handed at catching them.

Like I said, I don't think there's anything to suggest that injuries happen more frequently, so yeah, why not put your best playmaker back there?

#20 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Like I said, I don't think there's anything to suggest that injuries happen more frequently, so yeah, why not put your best playmaker back there?

If Deonte can do it I want him at KR and Jacoby at PR and #3 WR fresh to start the downs. If we need a big play on return then you can put Jacoby back there. To start the season off on Sunday I think we should put Jacoby there and then let Deonte take over after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users