77 replies to this topic

#1 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

So who do we keep?  Or do we carry 3 QBs on the roster?

Have fun!

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,780 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

It's either Taylor or Taylor and Wenning. I don't see us going with just Wenning.

#3 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,905 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

I'd go with Wenning. Give Tyrod a shot to go elsewhere and be a backup because regardless... He won't be anything more than that here. If Joe stays healthy, neither will matter. Really though, Wenning has as much experience in this offense as Taylor.

Edited by H8R, 29 August 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#4 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,192 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

I think we could go with just Wenning but I'm not sure we're ready to let go of Taylor. I think we'll see Taylor stick and Wenning placed on the PS (or at least try to put him there) as the likeliest scenario. That's unless someone wants to trade for Taylor, which I don't see happening. If that does happen, then I think we could roll with just Wenning. We rolled with Taylor and he didn't look that good his rookie year. I think people place a bit too much emphasis on the experience thing.

#5 Alaska Alaska!

Alaska Alaska!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

We've only really seen Wenning for one preseason game.  No way am I confident that we should have him over a QB who 1) has experience playing in regular season games and 2) Has more rapport with players.  

The Post season Bengals are the stairs of the AFC. They'll help you get that 1st playoff win easy-peasy! Just take those stairs

b4d9a88c-bd31-4353-b854-9bd278d055a3_zps

#6 wademan2636

wademan2636

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

Taylor has more experience, but Wenning fits our offensive system better.  In the end, I doubt Flacco will get hurt, so I would go with Wenning because he has more upside.

#7 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

Wenning may have more upside but Tyrod Taylor right now is the better backup quarterback. 

#8 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

Wenning really impressed me yesterday. As much as I like what I saw, I doubt we go with just him backing up Joe. Unless we're shopping Tyrod (which we should do if we can), I think we'll keep three.

Edited by The Raven, 29 August 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#9 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

No reason not to keep Tyrod and I am admittedly not his biggest fan. He is better than Wenning this year anyway and its not as though we'd really get anything of much value for him in a trade (providing the team actually finds a trading partner). I don't particularly trust Tyrod to lead the offense if God forbid Joe got hurt but I do trust him a lot more than Wenning right now.

Some are worried that some other team might steal Wenning off of the practice squad but keep this in mind: to do so a team has to put him on their active roster and as QB starved some teams still are, I just don't see any of them making such a move to get Wenning on their 53 man squad, especially with only 2 and a half quartera of NFL game tape on the young man.

#10 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,780 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

No reason not to keep Tyrod and I am admittedly not his biggest fan. He is better than Wenning this year anyway and its not as though we'd really get anything of much value for him in a trade (providing the team actually finds a trading partner). I don't particularly trust Tyrod to lead the offense if God forbid Joe got hurt but I do trust him a lot more than Wenning right now.

Some are worried that some other team might steal Wenning off of the practice squad but keep this in mind: to do so a team has to put him on their active roster and as QB starved some teams still are, I just don't see any of them making such a move to get Wenning on their 53 man squad, especially with only 2 and a half quartera of NFL game tape on the young man.

I'm with you here.  I don't believe one half of football is enough to get him claimed by someone.  I do think we could still take the cautious approach if we truly do believe he's the backup of the future, but I still believe he'll be cut and placed on the PS with ease.

#11 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

There is no way Wenning is the #2 QB and you cut Taylor. If something crazy happens to Joe, Defensive coordinators will destroy Wenning and his confidence will be gone forever. I think we have to keep 3 QB's. htere is no way he makes it to the PS. We have an interesting dilemma. We can't keep 10 OL's, 6 WR's, 11 DB's, and 3 QB's unless we go with less DL's. Maybe you IR Wenning if you can so you can stash him for a year. Wenning will be ready to be a #2 by next season.

post-53455-0-40820000-1365601474_thumb.j

#12 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'd like to see Tyrod with Wenning making it to our PS. Don't know if that happens, but he did not see a whole lot of action, so maybe he would clear waivers. I don't want to see us carry three QB's though, that 53rd spot is just too important, especially when you are deciding between guys like Thompson and Aiken. 

Edited by dirtybird10, 29 August 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#13 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

There is no way Wenning is the #2 QB and you cut Taylor. If something crazy happens to Joe, Defensive coordinators will destroy Wenning and his confidence will be gone forever. I think we have to keep 3 QB's. htere is no way he makes it to the PS. We have an interesting dilemma. We can't keep 10 OL's, 6 WR's, 11 DB's, and 3 QB's unless we go with less DL's. Maybe you IR Wenning if you can so you can stash him for a year. Wenning will be ready to be a #2 by next season.

Yup and Tyrod's contract is up after this season, so that would be ideal that or getting him  on the PS. 

#14 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Wenning performance was good last night but I don't think it was that good to the point he won't make it to ps

#15 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,395 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

I think Wenning to PS, won't get hawked there imo. Too many other QBs out there

a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#16 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,192 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Every year you hear "There's no way ____ makes it to the PS!" This year, Butler, Wenning, Toussaint, Jacobs, Hurst are all guys who could fall into that category. As much as I like all five of those guys, I think it's really presumptuous to state that there's "No way they make it through waivers!" They all have their black eyes. None of those guys are perfect. Sure, they have potential but I really am not sure how far that takes you when you have a 53 man roster. It can happen, but the likelihood isn't always as much as we think. 

I think all five of those guys could end up on our PS. 

#17 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,586 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Count me as another one that thinks we can get Wenning onto the PS with no problem.  Or perhaps he injured his thumb last night and needs to go on IR.  

Either way if Joe goes down, we are probably going to regress.  

Posted Image

#18 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,780 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Count me as another one that thinks we can get Wenning onto the PS with no problem.  Or perhaps he injured his thumb last night and needs to go on IR.  

Either way if Joe goes down, we are probably going to regress.  

Matt Furstenburg, Josh Bynes, Nigel Carr, Bobby Rainey (in year 1), etc.  All guys that many said wouldn't make it to the PS.  All of them not only cleared waivers, but some some didn't even get signed to the PS until midseason.  It happens every year.  I've learned that unless you have an impact like Marlon Brown or Justin Tucker, you're more than fine on passing through waivers.

#19 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,192 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

Matt Furstenburg, Josh Bynes, Nigel Carr, Bobby Rainey (in year 1), etc.  All guys that many said wouldn't make it to the PS.  All of them not only cleared waivers, but some some didn't even get signed to the PS until midseason.  It happens every year.  I've learned that unless you have an impact like Marlon Brown or Justin Tucker, you're more than fine on passing through waivers.

Don't forget Omar Brown. Lol. To think, at one point he was hyped so hard around here. Furstenburg looked so bad last year. He was cut and never came back. 

#20 PurplePassion824

PurplePassion824

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

I think Taylor keeps his job.  He improved throughout the preseason.  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the last year of Tyrod Taylor's contract?  I think this is the last year for him here.  I just think Wenning needs more time to develop.  Maybe next year he can be a serviceable backup.  I agree with many that Wenning goes to practice squad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users