47 replies to this topic

#1 Caliravenlover

Caliravenlover

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

Is James Hurst a capable back up for RT or LT? Is he worth keeping on the 53 man roster? I think he is and could be a very good player given time to develop. What are you thoughts about him getting on the roster. P.s He wont get to the practice squad other team will sign him so fast.  Give me your thoughts, guess's. 

#2 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

He is not ready to be on anyone's 53 roster right now. Before Preseason started I'd say another team might snatch him up just because of his potential but he showed next to nothing in preseason other then the fact that if you are relying on him even as depth, your oline is in trouble.

However with that being said I do see talent in him, he just wasn't ready right now, he has slowly gotten better, but he is PS material only imo.

mj5v69.jpg

#3 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

He is not ready to be on anyone's 53 roster right now. Before Preseason started I'd say another team might snatch him up just because of his potential but he showed next to nothing in preseason other then the fact that if you are relying on him even as depth, your oline is in trouble.

However with that being said I do see talent in him, he just wasn't ready right now, he has slowly gotten better, but he is PS material only imo.

First of all, you're definitely wrong here. He has shown great improvement through three preseason games. This last game was probably his best and he really did so well. I can prove it to you but he was blocking well even in the run and pass protecting at a high level. Not saying he's a threat to Monroe but he played really well.

#4 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

He's improved but I still think he's squeezed out of a roster spot.  I still believe he could make it to the practice squad, but he might be a phantom IR type of guy if we're worried about it.

#5 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

First of all, you're definitely wrong here. He has shown great improvement through three preseason games. This last game was probably his best and he really did so well. I can prove it to you but he was blocking well even in the run and pass protecting at a high level. Not saying he's a threat to Monroe but he played really well.

He has improved as I mentioned, but not to the point where you'd be comfortable with him as a primary backup to either position right now. If you are only keeping 9-10 OL, who are you cutting in favor of him? Maybe  Jensen if the number is 10, but at 9 I don't see him making it. Now with Jah Ried's injury history the Ravens might stash him on the roster much like Jensen last year but I don't see a guy who's ready to step in to game action right now.

If the Ravens are fearful of losing him on the PS, then they could stash him for a couple weeks to either Rice or Hill returns, but I think he still needs a lot of developing before he's a primary backup. I'll give you a player example. I thought Jack Cornell in 2012 played much better then Hurst has this year and he was placed on the PS. Because we can play with the numbers this year, he may very well make the 53 out the gate to stash him a bit, but if you are asking him to be a primary backup right now, we are in trouble imo.

mj5v69.jpg

#6 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

He's improved but I still think he's squeezed out of a roster spot. I still believe he could make it to the practice squad, but he might be a phantom IR type of guy if we're worried about it.

I he's got a 50/50 slightly leaning towards not making it but I think he could make it.

#7 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

He has improved as I mentioned, but not to the point where you'd be comfortable with him as a primary backup to either position right now. If you are only keeping 10 OL, who are you cutting in favor of him? Now with Jah Ried's injury history the Ravens might stash him on the roster much like Jensen last year but I don't see a guy who's ready to step in to game action right now.

If the Ravens are fearful of losing him on the PS, then they could stash him for a couple weeks to either Rice or Hill returns, but I think he still needs a lot of developing before he's a primary backup. I'll give you a player example. I thought Jack Cornell in 2012 played much better then Hurst has this year and he was placed on the PS. Because we can play with the numbers this year, he may very well make the 53 out the gate to stash him a bit, but if you are asking him to be a primary backup right now, we are in trouble imo.

The area where I disagreed with you and thought you were wrong is when you stated he showed nothing in preseason. That's just wrong. The rest I agree with.

#8 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

I he's got a 50/50 slightly leaning towards not making it but I think he could make it.

I want to put him there because I really like his potential and the improvement he's show, but I just can't find a spot unless we want to carry 10 lineman, which is pretty unlikely.

#9 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

I want to put him there because I really like his potential and the improvement he's show, but I just can't find a spot unless we want to carry 10 lineman, which is pretty unlikely.

We'll see. I still like him better than that piece of garbage Shipley. Rookie Hurst looks better than veteran Shipley. He has played like trash all preseason

#10 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

We'll see. I still like him better than that piece of garbage Shipley. Rookie Hurst looks better than veteran Shipley. He has played like trash all preseason

Replace the P in Shipley and replace it with "t" and that's his nickname in my household
Banned

#11 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Difference being that Shipley is a G and Hurst is a T though.

#12 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Difference being that Shipley is a G and Hurst is a T though.

Yeah that's true but Reid has played LG before and honestly looked better than Shipley. Gradkowski was once listed as a LG back-up. Urschel has gotten many reps at guard. I even remember Wagner talking about possibly playing guard. I don't disagree but imo just because garbage can play backup LG doesn't mean it tastes good. For all we know Hurst, Urschel, could play LG as well as Shipley.

#13 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Also, another point is that I think even if we cut Shipley we could probably still sign him as a free agent. I can't imagine any team calling him to sign. Even if he did we could probably get better from Wade Smith.

#14 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Yeah that's true but Reid has played LG before and honestly looked better than Shipley. Gradkowski was once listed as a LG back-up. Urschel has gotten many reps at guard. I even remember Wagner talking about possibly playing guard. I don't disagree but imo just because garbage can play backup LG doesn't mean it tastes good. For all we know Hurst, Urschel, could play LG as well as Shipley.

It all sounds fine in theory but I'm not sure we're willing to shuffle things up that much this year.  Reid looks much better and much more comfortable back at his natural T position.  Gradkowski hasn't taken a snap at any other position except for C this off/preseason.  If you take Hurst over Shipley, that leaves you with Urschel as your primary backup at G.  I can't see us putting that much responsibility on a young guy who has largely played with the 3rd team all throughout camp.  I get the disdain for Shipley but he's still the top backup at G.

#15 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

It all sounds fine in theory but I'm not sure we're willing to shuffle things up that much this year. Reid looks much better and much more comfortable back at his natural T position. Gradkowski hasn't taken a snap at any other position except for C this off/preseason. If you take Hurst over Shipley, that leaves you with Urschel as your primary backup at G. I can't see us putting that much responsibility on a young guy who has largely played with the 3rd team all throughout camp. I get the disdain for Shipley but he's still the top backup at G.

It's not just that. I just think that you could cut Shipley and not worry about another team signing him than to cut Hurst. I think even if we cut Shipley he'd remain on the market. I'm thinking an OL Billy Bajema except not as good.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 27 August 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#16 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

It's not just that. I just think that you could cut Shipley and not work about another team signing him than to cut Hurst. I think even if we cut Shipley he'd remain on the market. I'm thinking an OL Billy Bajema except not as good.

I highly doubt that happens either way.  Shipley has routinely been the guy that steps into the 1st team at G when Yanda or Osemele weren't there for whatever reason.  As much as we all hate it, he's their top option at G and I don't see him being cut.

#17 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

I highly doubt that happens either way. Shipley has routinely been the guy that steps into the 1st team at G when Yanda or Osemele weren't there for whatever reason. As much as we all hate it, he's their top option at G and I don't see him being cut.

Neither do I. I know I'm preaching to the converted here but Shipley is trash. I know he'll probably stick around because of his experience but if they're going off tape for real and the best 53 make the team, there's no way this guy makes it imo. He's just not a good fit here. I'm just holding out hope that we really do keep the best 53 because this guy isn't one. I'm not saying Hurst is, but I like him better than this guy. Shipley is only better than Jensen imo.

#18 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

The area where I disagreed with you and thought you were wrong is when you stated he showed nothing in preseason. That's just wrong. The rest I agree with.

Yea I admit that was pretty harsh and didn't realize it came off that way. Just meant to say he showed promise but not enough for enough to make me thing another teams would be watching Ozzie's every move in a couple days to see what he'll do with this kid like many, including me, thought when we first signed him.

mj5v69.jpg

#19 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

I'd like for him to go to PS, but I think he flashed enough to where some tackle needy team may scoop him. PS or IR. 

#20 beasy2487

beasy2487

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

I highly doubt that happens either way. Shipley has routinely been the guy that steps into the 1st team at G when Yanda or Osemele weren't there for whatever reason. As much as we all hate it, he's their top option at G and I don't see him being cut.

I agree with this sentiment. Shipley hasn't been a world beater by any means but to say Jah Reid is a better fix at guard is ludicrous given their body of work. Shipley is a viable liability at G whereas Reid has all the physical tools but has shown nothing at any position we've put him in over the past 4 years. I understand why he's still on the roster but he hasn't outperformed Shipley (to date) in any phase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users