Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rmw10

Ravens restructure Webb's contract

134 posts in this topic

Wow ... that is a tell, for sure. We already had 4M available, so to do this now would indicate something significant. It would seem it would have to be in the works already, for us to make what would appear to be a preemptive move. 

I'm pretty sure that any move that would require that kind of additional space - if it involves a trade - that trade won't be met by moving Deonte Thompson or Josh Bynes. If such a thing comes to pass, we'll be parting with a significant future draft pick, I would suspect. 

Maybe not a trade. Perhaps an extension for Torrey or Jimmy?

Good point - that too is a possibility. But no doubt, to do this now indicates something is up.

Good for Lardarius, good for us.

Maybe this is the harbinger for bigger news? Maybe they're just clearing space to have on-hand for bargain-hunting in the next round of cuts?

Clears $3M this year.  That's an awful lot to clear for no reason.

This move gives the team over $7 million in cap space.Ozzie has to be doing this because has his eye on someone.I'm about to take a look at what cb's are in the last year or two of their deals.I don't think we have an other position that needs a player that would require that much cap space unless Owen Daniels recovering leg is worst than is being reported.

This move gives the team over $7 million in cap space.Ozzie has to be doing this because has his eye on someone.I'm about to take a look at what cb's are in the last year or two of their deals.I don't think we have an other position that needs a player that would require that much cap space unless Owen Daniels recovering leg is worst than is being reported.

If that's true, I'd cut that dude before his salary gets guaranteed

Either extension for another player or trade.

What team would trade a valuable asset before the season tho......besides the Pats.

Trade for DL/DE to remove Cody or upgrade Canty? Trade for a vet corner? Trade for another TE to remove Daniels? I'm excited and don't what I'm excited about. lol

It would be too simple to trade for a corner...instead they'll trade for a position no one expects or wants.

But lets say its a corner..we can narrow it down by:

looking for a team outside of the division.

Not looking at a contender

A corner and with only 1-3 years left or not playing on their rookie contract

A team who realistically doesnt expect much from this year

Texans

Raiders

Rams

*shrugs*

Not even with bonuses?

I could be wrong,but I don't remember hearing about a player signing an extension and having their cap number go up in that year.If anything it usually brings it down.Just look at what we did with Suggs a few months ago.

Let us know who the best CBs available are when you do your research.

It would be too simple to trade for a corner...instead they'll trade for a position no one expects or wants.

But lets say its a corner..we can narrow it down by:

looking for a team outside of the division.

Not looking at a contender

A corner and with only 1-3 years left or not playing on their rookie contract

A team who realistically doesnt expect much from this year

Texans

Raiders

Rams

*shrugs*

Giants have a plethora

I could be wrong,but I don't remember hearing about a player signing an extension and having their cap number go up in that year.If anything it usually brings it down.Just look at what we did with Suggs a few months ago.

It may not bring it up, but in the case of Suggs, it was an extension to spread a bonus out

Doesn't excess cap space carry over into next year? Maybe it was easier to restructure for this season somehow, and we are preparing to have extra cash available for the younger Smiths and Tucker next year. I'm not predicting that's the reason because I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was to prepare for a move coming soon, but it might be possible that we are just thinking ahead.

Doesn't excess cap space carry over into next year? Maybe it was easier to restructure for this season somehow, and we are preparing to have extra cash available for the younger Smiths and Tucker next year. I'm not predicting that's the reason because I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was to prepare for a move coming soon, but it might be possible that we are just thinking ahead.

It does, but that's still a lot of money to clear in preparation, especially being that Webb's cap number is only going to go up and he doesn't exactly have the best health record.

Let's go outside the box and get crazy. I say we are getting Vernon Davis. He has voiced his displeasure with San Fran already and held out a bit early on. He went to Maryland and is good friends with Torrey Smith. Kubiak always has liked two tightends and Daniels isn't cutting it. Davis has always been a great blocker which means Pitta can be freed up as the "move" tightend. We have obviously made trades with San Fran before look at Boldin. Plus the 49ers have a lot of players needed catches with Sevie Johnson and Crabtree back.

It does, but that's still a lot of money to clear in preparation, especially being that Webb's cap number is only going to go up and he doesn't exactly have the best health record.

At the very least, though, it's an added benefit if whatever move we are planning to do now doesn't work out.

Let's go outside the box and get crazy. I say we are getting Vernon Davis. He has voiced his displeasure with San Fran already and held out a bit early on. He went to Maryland and is good friends with Torrey Smith. Kubiak always has liked two tightends and Daniels isn't cutting it. Davis has always been a great blocker which means Pitta can be freed up as the "move" tightend. We have obviously made trades with San Fran before look at Boldin. Plus the 49ers have a lot of players needed catches with Sevie Johnson and Crabtree back.

This would probably be one of the craziest possible moves

His cap hit is just slightly too high, though, so it would require trading a pick and player