33 replies to this topic

#1 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

Ranked according to the article by..." eight current general managers, four former GMs, four personnel directors, four executives, six coordinators and four position coaches" compiled by Mike Sando on ESPN.

1. Bill Belichick

2. Pete Carroll

3. Sean Payton

4. Andy Reid

5. Tom Coughlin

6T: Mike McCarthy

6T: Mike Tomlin

8. Jim Harbaugh

9. John Harbaugh

http://espn.go.com/b...9-in-coach-poll

For the record, I can't see how Harbaugh is behind Tomlin, especially after a certain sideline incident.

Edited by 52520Andrew, 26 August 2014 - 02:43 PM.

In Ozzie We Trust

#2 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

I typically wouldn't agree, but I have to concede to the NFL insiders, aka the people that know what they're talking about. I can't tell eight current general managers, four former GMs, four personnel directors, four executives, six coordinators and four position coaches that they're wrong. Although, I could question which insiders they asked. There could be bias among that group. 

EDIT: Can this at least put to rest the idiotic notion that Belichick "needs" to spy to be a good coach? I mean... 

Edited by The Raven, 26 August 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#3 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

I typically wouldn't agree, but I have to concede to the NFL insiders, aka the people that know what they're talking about. I can't tell eight current general managers, four former GMs, four personnel directors, four executives, six coordinators and four position coaches that they're wrong. Although, I could question which insiders they asked. There could be bias among that group.

EDIT: Can this at least put to rest the idiotic notion that Belichick "needs" to spy to be a good coach? I mean...

He doesn't need to spy to be a good coach. He needs to spy to win championships!!!!! Lol!!!!!!

#4 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Who's in front of him? ESPN Insider so I have no idea.

The bottom line for head coaches is W-L record, doublely important for the postseason. Harbaugh's record stacks up against anyone elses', I'd like to see the 'justification' for those ahead of him.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Rankings are rankings, the game isn't played on paper, yada yada.

a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#5 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Who's in front of him? ESPN Insider so I have no idea.

The bottom line for head coaches is W-L record, doublely important for the postseason. Harbaugh's record stacks up against anyone elses', I'd like to see the 'justification' for those ahead of him.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Rankings are rankings, the game isn't played on paper, yada yada.

1. Duh
2. Carroll
3. Payton
(end tier one)
4. Reid (I still can't get over that)
5. Coughlin
6t. McCarthy, Tomlin
8. Little Harbaugh
9. Big Harbaugh

There were quotes from the voters, but in the end they were just a bunch of voters, and coaches with big coaching trees in the league obviously had more votes from their understudies (asst coaches and team staff members).

Edited by beanfigger, 26 August 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#6 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

I gather they are not going off of recent history. If they were there is no way that Tomlin is ranked higher than John. And if they are going off of the last five years it is hard to rank him above many coaches due to his win ratio and playoff history. So, I am not sure how they come up with their rankings. All I am sure of is that I am glad we have John as our head coach. Can't fault the W/L ratio he has put together.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

#7 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Just speculating some reasons for coaches being ranked higher than John:

1) John is a hard butt and isn't always well-liked in the locker room. That could be a con.

2) Although he isn't as bad at football strategy as some suggest, he's not the strategist that some of the other head coaches are. 

#8 ravensfan160

ravensfan160

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

I gather they are not going off of recent history. If they were there is no way that Tomlin is ranked higher than John. And if they are going off of the last five years it is hard to rank him above many coaches due to his win ratio and playoff history. So, I am not sure how they come up with their rankings. All I am sure of is that I am glad we have John as our head coach. Can't fault the W/L ratio he has put together.

That is really my only issue with the list. I think he is way overrated. John also doesn't get enough credit for not just winning a Super Bowl but doing so with a team that frankly wasn't all that talented.

#9 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,433 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Belicheck
Payton
John Harbs
Carrol
Jim Harbs
McCarthy
Reid
Fisher
Coughlin
Fox

Is how I'd rank em, but what do I know?

Chip Kelly, Bruce Arians, Chuck Pagano, Lovie Smith and Marc Tresman would be next for me despite small sample sizes. (Excluding Lovie)

How Tomlin is above the Harbros is beyond me.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#10 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

1. Duh
2. Carroll
3. Payton
(end tier one)
4. Reid (I still can't get over that)
5. Coughlin
6t. McCarthy, Tomlin
8. Little Harbaugh
9. Big Harbaugh

There were quotes from the voters, but in the end they were just a bunch of voters, and coaches with big coaching trees in the league obviously had more votes from their understudies (asst coaches and team staff members).

Thanks for posting it, not going to argue with the opinions of the nameless because that won't go anywhere but my list would look differently and factor in coaching 'ethics', shall we call it?

FWIW, I like Reid as a coach but that's a high ranking for his playoff performance, especially 0-3 since 2009.

a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#11 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

I can't believe Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin are rated higher than Harbs. 

The only coaches that should be ahead of him are Belichick, Payton, and maybe Carroll. 

@gabefergy

#12 beanfigger

beanfigger

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

I can't believe Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin are rated higher than Harbs.

The only coaches that should be ahead of him are Belichick, Payton, and maybe Carroll.

You have to look at who the voters were. Assistant coaches and various team staff members thought the league were asked. Reid has been around forever, and has probably personally had a hand in the careers for a lot of these guys. He's held in high regard by the people he helped bring up through the ranks and give jobs, and they then pass that regard down to those they bring up, I'm sure. That's the only way I can make sense of this all. Any outsider watching the NFL today knows John is better than Reid at the moment.

#13 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Umm....yeah.

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#14 Willbacker

Willbacker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

Its amazing how Carroll gets so much respect(recent history) but yet John doesnt get the same and still falls behind the likes of Tomlin.

#15 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,778 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Ranked according to the article by..." eight current general managers, four former GMs, four personnel directors, four executives, six coordinators and four position coaches" compiled by Mike Sando on ESPN.

1. Bill Belichick

2. Pete Carroll

3. Sean Payton

4. Andy Reid

5. Tom Coughlin

6T: Mike McCarthy

6T: Mike Tomlin

8. Jim Harbaugh

9. John Harbaugh

http://espn.go.com/b...9-in-coach-poll

For the record, I can't see how Harbaugh is behind Tomlin, especially after a certain sideline incident.

1. Deservingly so though his recent history may show he is number one based off past reputation

2. Super Bowl hype

4. Living off Reputation

5. Way past living off reputation.

Only thingsI really had a problem with above. Though how John is 9th after taking us to the playoffs 5 straight seasons and a Super Bowl win is beyond me. Even for how bad last season seemed, we still had a shot at the playoffs in week 17, and finished 8-8 meaning he still doesn't have a losing season as a HC.

Edited by JO_75, 26 August 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#16 Static

Static

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

That's insulting. Harbaugh is 2-4 period. I don't care about rah rah sensationalism. The proof is in the numbers.

Bodybuilder , Rugby Player , and Diehard fan. 

#TeamBrooks!!

#17 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,433 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Just wanna say, Pete Carroll definitely belongs among the top. Gotta respect the way he's helped turn that franchise around.

Edited by Gordo52, 26 August 2014 - 05:54 PM.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#18 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Yawn.

Opinions are like butts.

Every one has one and they all stink other than your own.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#19 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,024 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

I think Carroll is top ten but I'm not sure top five or top three. He definitely turned around that program so you really can't say too much about him being ranked highly on the list. I do think John should be higher, at least top five and that's removing the bias I may have. I think the list is wrong as it is though. I wouldn't rank Carroll above Payton. I wouldn't even put Harbaugh above him. My top four coaches are Bill, Payton, McCarthy in that order with Harbaugh after that. I'd probably put Jim right below him then Carroll. That's just me though.

#20 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

The reasoning from one executive was that John has had one of the best front offices in the NFL, one that's about as close to perfect as you'll find. Still doesn't change the fact that he took a very inconsistent team, a then rookie quarterback, and turned them into a winning team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users