Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

52520Andrew

John Harbaugh Ranked #9 Among NFL Head Coaches

34 posts in this topic

Ranked according to the article by..." eight current general managers, four former GMs, four personnel directors, four executives, six coordinators and four position coaches" compiled by Mike Sando on ESPN.

1. Bill Belichick

2. Pete Carroll

3. Sean Payton

4. Andy Reid

5. Tom Coughlin

6T: Mike McCarthy

6T: Mike Tomlin

8. Jim Harbaugh

9. John Harbaugh

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/137330/john-harbaugh-ranked-no-9-in-coach-poll

For the record, I can't see how Harbaugh is behind Tomlin, especially after a certain sideline incident.

I typically wouldn't agree, but I have to concede to the NFL insiders, aka the people that know what they're talking about. I can't tell eight current general managers, four former GMs, four personnel directors, four executives, six coordinators and four position coaches that they're wrong. Although, I could question which insiders they asked. There could be bias among that group. 

EDIT: Can this at least put to rest the idiotic notion that Belichick "needs" to spy to be a good coach? I mean... 

I typically wouldn't agree, but I have to concede to the NFL insiders, aka the people that know what they're talking about. I can't tell eight current general managers, four former GMs, four personnel directors, four executives, six coordinators and four position coaches that they're wrong. Although, I could question which insiders they asked. There could be bias among that group.

EDIT: Can this at least put to rest the idiotic notion that Belichick "needs" to spy to be a good coach? I mean...

He doesn't need to spy to be a good coach. He needs to spy to win championships!!!!! Lol!!!!!!

Who's in front of him? ESPN Insider so I have no idea.

The bottom line for head coaches is W-L record, doublely important for the postseason. Harbaugh's record stacks up against anyone elses', I'd like to see the 'justification' for those ahead of him.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Rankings are rankings, the game isn't played on paper, yada yada.

Who's in front of him? ESPN Insider so I have no idea.

The bottom line for head coaches is W-L record, doublely important for the postseason. Harbaugh's record stacks up against anyone elses', I'd like to see the 'justification' for those ahead of him.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Rankings are rankings, the game isn't played on paper, yada yada.

1. Duh

2. Carroll

3. Payton

(end tier one)

4. Reid (I still can't get over that)

5. Coughlin

6t. McCarthy, Tomlin

8. Little Harbaugh

9. Big Harbaugh

There were quotes from the voters, but in the end they were just a bunch of voters, and coaches with big coaching trees in the league obviously had more votes from their understudies (asst coaches and team staff members).

I gather they are not going off of recent history. If they were there is no way that Tomlin is ranked higher than John. And if they are going off of the last five years it is hard to rank him above many coaches due to his win ratio and playoff history. So, I am not sure how they come up with their rankings. All I am sure of is that I am glad we have John as our head coach. Can't fault the W/L ratio he has put together.

Just speculating some reasons for coaches being ranked higher than John:

1) John is a hard butt and isn't always well-liked in the locker room. That could be a con.

2) Although he isn't as bad at football strategy as some suggest, he's not the strategist that some of the other head coaches are. 

I gather they are not going off of recent history. If they were there is no way that Tomlin is ranked higher than John. And if they are going off of the last five years it is hard to rank him above many coaches due to his win ratio and playoff history. So, I am not sure how they come up with their rankings. All I am sure of is that I am glad we have John as our head coach. Can't fault the W/L ratio he has put together.

That is really my only issue with the list. I think he is way overrated. John also doesn't get enough credit for not just winning a Super Bowl but doing so with a team that frankly wasn't all that talented.

Belicheck

Payton

John Harbs

Carrol

Jim Harbs

McCarthy

Reid

Fisher

Coughlin

Fox

Is how I'd rank em, but what do I know?

Chip Kelly, Bruce Arians, Chuck Pagano, Lovie Smith and Marc Tresman would be next for me despite small sample sizes. (Excluding Lovie)

How Tomlin is above the Harbros is beyond me.

1. Duh

2. Carroll

3. Payton

(end tier one)

4. Reid (I still can't get over that)

5. Coughlin

6t. McCarthy, Tomlin

8. Little Harbaugh

9. Big Harbaugh

There were quotes from the voters, but in the end they were just a bunch of voters, and coaches with big coaching trees in the league obviously had more votes from their understudies (asst coaches and team staff members).

Thanks for posting it, not going to argue with the opinions of the nameless because that won't go anywhere but my list would look differently and factor in coaching 'ethics', shall we call it?

FWIW, I like Reid as a coach but that's a high ranking for his playoff performance, especially 0-3 since 2009.

I can't believe Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin are rated higher than Harbs. 

The only coaches that should be ahead of him are Belichick, Payton, and maybe Carroll. 

The only coaches that should be ahead of him are Belichick, Payton, and maybe Carroll.

You have to look at who the voters were. Assistant coaches and various team staff members thought the league were asked. Reid has been around forever, and has probably personally had a hand in the careers for a lot of these guys. He's held in high regard by the people he helped bring up through the ranks and give jobs, and they then pass that regard down to those they bring up, I'm sure. That's the only way I can make sense of this all. Any outsider watching the NFL today knows John is better than Reid at the moment.

Its amazing how Carroll gets so much respect(recent history) but yet John doesnt get the same and still falls behind the likes of Tomlin.

Ranked according to the article by..." eight current general managers, four former GMs, four personnel directors, four executives, six coordinators and four position coaches" compiled by Mike Sando on ESPN.

1. Bill Belichick

2. Pete Carroll

3. Sean Payton

4. Andy Reid

5. Tom Coughlin

8. Jim Harbaugh

9. John Harbaugh

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/137330/john-harbaugh-ranked-no-9-in-coach-poll

For the record, I can't see how Harbaugh is behind Tomlin, especially after a certain sideline incident.

1. Deservingly so though his recent history may show he is number one based off past reputation

2. Super Bowl hype

4. Living off Reputation

5. Way past living off reputation.

Only thingsI really had a problem with above. Though how John is 9th after taking us to the playoffs 5 straight seasons and a Super Bowl win is beyond me. Even for how bad last season seemed, we still had a shot at the playoffs in week 17, and finished 8-8 meaning he still doesn't have a losing season as a HC.

That's insulting. Harbaugh is 2-4 period. I don't care about rah rah sensationalism. The proof is in the numbers.

Just wanna say, Pete Carroll definitely belongs among the top. Gotta respect the way he's helped turn that franchise around.

Yawn.

Opinions are like butts.

Every one has one and they all stink other than your own.

I think Carroll is top ten but I'm not sure top five or top three. He definitely turned around that program so you really can't say too much about him being ranked highly on the list. I do think John should be higher, at least top five and that's removing the bias I may have. I think the list is wrong as it is though. I wouldn't rank Carroll above Payton. I wouldn't even put Harbaugh above him. My top four coaches are Bill, Payton, McCarthy in that order with Harbaugh after that. I'd probably put Jim right below him then Carroll. That's just me though.

The reasoning from one executive was that John has had one of the best front offices in the NFL, one that's about as close to perfect as you'll find. Still doesn't change the fact that he took a very inconsistent team, a then rookie quarterback, and turned them into a winning team

This is pretty much how I feel.

Ranked according to the article by..." eight current general managers, four former GMs, four personnel directors, four executives, six coordinators and four position coaches" compiled by Mike Sando on ESPN.

1. Bill Belichick

2. Pete Carroll

3. Sean Payton

4. Andy Reid

5. Tom Coughlin

8. Jim Harbaugh

9. John Harbaugh

First of all, Andy Reid..good coach but he's the Marty Schottenheimer of his time..playoff failures every year. 0-1 Super Bowl record.

Jim Harbaugh has had a good run, but hasn't won the Super Bowl. That's AT LEAST #7 right there.

Here's how mine would go-

1.Bellicheck

2.Coughlin

3. Peyton

4.JOHN Harbaugh

5. McCarthy

6. Tomlin

7. Carrol

8. Reid

9. Jim Harbaugh

Just wanna say, Pete Carroll definitely belongs among the top. Gotta respect the way he's helped turn that franchise around.

True but not that high on the list.

True but not that high on the list.

Why not? Look at all the transactions and drafts he's been largely responsible for. They have their GM, John Schneider but ultimately Carroll has the final say on everything....Pete even hired him lol.

Only Belicheck, Reid and Carroll have that much power over their team operations. He's made the right calls and brought a whole different culture to Seattle. Gotta love the energy and charisma he brings as well. Especially since he's the 2nd oldest coach in the league.

Why not? Look at all the transactions and drafts he's been largely responsible for. They have their GM, John Schneider but ultimately Carroll has the final say on everything....Pete even hired him lol.

Only Belicheck, Reid and Carroll have that much power over their team operations. He's made the right calls and brought a whole different culture to Seattle. Gotta love the energy and charisma he brings as well. Especially since he's the 2nd oldest coach in the league.

Actually, pretty sure Chip Kelly does as well. Also not sure Reid has that much power with Kansas City, but I could be wrong

I think Carroll is top ten but I'm not sure top five or top three. He definitely turned around that program so you really can't say too much about him being ranked highly on the list. I do think John should be higher, at least top five and that's removing the bias I may have. I think the list is wrong as it is though. I wouldn't rank Carroll above Payton. I wouldn't even put Harbaugh above him. My top four coaches are Bill, Payton, McCarthy in that order with Harbaugh after that. I'd probably put Jim right below him then Carroll. That's just me though.

I agree with your list and almost had it identical. I would only switch Carroll with Jim. They both coached in College and Carroll also coached in the NFL and was moderately successful. So he has a better track record. That's my only change. Carroll really knows talent that will work with his coaching style.

Actually, pretty sure Chip Kelly does as well. Also not sure Reid has that much power with Kansas City, but I could be wrong

You're right.

There's much more to being a head coach than simply winning a Super Bowl but that's a major part. I look at how competitive you are every year, knowing what your team does well, delegating jobs to those who do them best, managing talent.

If you compete yearly for the playoffs, that's huge. If you know who does what better than others, players and coaches, you'll have success. John knows how to do that. John knows how to delegate responsibilities to his coaches as well. He knows he's not the best at certain things and doesn't try to put his ego on that aspect. I respect that. John knows who to cut and who to keep. I know some might say that's Ozzie but it's also John because he makes the call on who stays and who goes.

I also think John did a good job developing our talent. Not all guys work out but he's done well overall.