99 replies to this topic

#1 daylt8dollashort

daylt8dollashort

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

First this team has to justify re-signing Jacoby Jones by inserting him ahead of Marlon Brown. Next this continued feeling that Deonte Thompson and Campanaro are close is laughable. Is this more of the feel good story of Campanaro growing up in the area? Thompson has showed when healthy he is just as much of a weapon as anyone else. But catching passes from Taylor late in games makes people question if he could do that against the better competition. Campanaro is small in size and if he is going to stay on this team as a returner, then again why the insistence on bringing Jones back, trade him to the Giants or somewhere in the NFC. I've seen flashes of Aiken in games but he has dropped just as many as he has caught. Williams and Butler in 3 games has not really shown much other than on Special Teams, but I know most feel that they should be on the 53 from what they've done in practice or Special Teams. I'm sure any QB would like to have receivers who are over 6 ft and over 200 lbs to throw to. I see both Smiths, Marlon, Thompson, Jones because of his contract, and maybe Aiken as being front runners, throw in possibly Butler and this team would not only have size except for Smith Sr, definite Speed and hopefully taking cues from Smith Sr as far as route running to get separation. But no matter who they keep Joe has to develop trust in them as well as continued reps. But this is for sure whomever the team releases probably will end up in Cleveland because they continue to want some kind of way to pay the Ravens back like moving up to get RB West. 

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,726 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Campanaro has legitimate hype.  He was silent in the first 2 preseason games, but finally showed what we were all looking for last night with his burst off the line and incredible route running.  He's consistently been one of the most impressive receivers in camp as well.  That's not even mentioning the fact that we thought highly enough of him to give up a future pick to move back in and get him.  He's safe as long as he's healthy.

The 6th WR spot (if there is one) is between Thompson and Aiken.  Aiken has had the more impressive camp but has had a couple of big drops in the games so far.  Thompson is the opposite where he's had a below average camp but has really showed up in game situations.  These guys are neck and neck right now and I think it could go either way.

Butler is a distant 4th out of these 4 options.  If we thought he would make the team, he would have seen more than a couple of snaps last night.  He's a practice squad candidate but nothing more at this point.  A killer game on Thursday could make him re-enter the conversation, but most of the roster decisions will already be made by then.

Edited by rmw10, 24 August 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#3 airconteka1

airconteka1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

So you think that the depth chart should be based on contract value rather than performance? Odd way of looking at things.

#4 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,045 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

As far as I can tell, it's going to Deonte Thompson, which means our WR corps will be Smith Sr | T. Smith | Jones | Brown | Campanaro | Thompson and not necessarily in that order. I think Aikens blew enough of his chances and Thompson just capitalized on his in actual games, which matter more than camp when it's all said and done. Butler, I expect, will be apart of our first round of cuts to stash him on the IR, leaving Aiken in the last game to possibly get attention elsewhere. But it could very well be vice versa. 

#5 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

I think Deonte is hype. Jacoby should not be used anything other than deep threat &KR.

Yea we overpaid Jacoby.

Aiken & Camp should get a try @ reg season.

So it should be: Torrey, Steve, Marlon, Aiken, Camp, Jacoby

#6 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Campanaro looks more polished as a rookie than Thompson has ever looked.

@gabefergy

#7 SomeCreepinaVan

SomeCreepinaVan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

You want to get rid of Jacoby after he took less money to say here. That would be pretty lame.

He's good for the team and is a great asset. I wanna see him and Thompson be used as returners, but I think Thompson is better.

Camp is for real and is going to be our Wes Welker, Did you see how fast he was off the line?

Edited by SomeCreepinaVan, 24 August 2014 - 06:33 PM.

Huge fan of PoesCrows and Sami84

#8 SomeCreepinaVan

SomeCreepinaVan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Michael Campanaro is a lock for the 53-man roster because he's a future investment. When the Ravens traded-away their 6th-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft just so they could snatch-up "Camp" in this year's draft, it showed that Campanaro is apart of the team's future. While he has the talent and potential to be a legit slot receiver in the NFL, he doesn't have the polish and experience, at the moment, to do much in 2014. But, still; he has shown lots of flashes during training camp.

So, the Ravens are essentially sacrificing a roster spot on this year's team just to hold-onto Michael Campanaro (and he probably won't suit-up that often, unless an injury were to occur at the wide receiver position); otherwise, another team can easily sign Campanaro off of Baltimore's practice squad, which would be very likely to happen (if "Camp" was to be put on the practice squad).

The 6th-and-final WR roster spot will be between Kamar Aiken and Deonte Thompson. It basically boils down to whether the Ravens want a special teamer (Aiken) or another return guy (Thompson).

I don't think the Ravens are sacrificing a spot by keeping Campanaro. The dude is legit, and I have no doubt that with his burst off the line, shiftiness and great route running, that he will be a asset for the team this year.

Edited by SomeCreepinaVan, 24 August 2014 - 06:34 PM.

Huge fan of PoesCrows and Sami84

#9 ravensnick

ravensnick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

First this team has to justify re-signing Jacoby Jones by inserting him ahead of Marlon Brown. Next this continued feeling that Deonte Thompson and Campanaro are close is laughable. Is this more of the feel good story of Campanaro growing up in the area? Thompson has showed when healthy he is just as much of a weapon as anyone else. But catching passes from Taylor late in games makes people question if he could do that against the better competition. Campanaro is small in size and if he is going to stay on this team as a returner, then again why the insistence on bringing Jones back, trade him to the Giants or somewhere in the NFC. I've seen flashes of Aiken in games but he has dropped just as many as he has caught. Williams and Butler in 3 games has not really shown much other than on Special Teams, but I know most feel that they should be on the 53 from what they've done in practice or Special Teams. I'm sure any QB would like to have receivers who are over 6 ft and over 200 lbs to throw to. I see both Smiths, Marlon, Thompson, Jones because of his contract, and maybe Aiken as being front runners, throw in possibly Butler and this team would not only have size except for Smith Sr, definite Speed and hopefully taking cues from Smith Sr as far as route running to get separation. But no matter who they keep Joe has to develop trust in them as well as continued reps. But this is for sure whomever the team releases probably will end up in Cleveland because they continue to want some kind of way to pay the Ravens back like moving up to get RB West. 

I stopped reading at the bold, it told me all I needed to know. Thompson is a solid KR but can literally do nothing else. With having Jacoby, there is no reason why a better receiver (Camp) should get cut so Thompson can make the team.

Edited by ravensnick, 24 August 2014 - 06:39 PM.

Owner/GM/Coach of the Shaolin Cuban Lynx

Diggs (Quandre) and Diggs(Stefon) 2015!

#10 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I think Deonte is hype. Jacoby should not be used anything other than deep threat &KR.

Yea we overpaid Jacoby.

Aiken & Camp should get a try @ reg season.

So it should be: Torrey, Steve, Marlon, Aiken, Camp, Jacoby

I disagree. Jacoby Jones in my opinon has improve as a receiver and he knows Gary Kubiak offense which gives him a edge over Marlon Brown. 

#11 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Did you take some mushrooms before this post ?

#12 airconteka1

airconteka1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

I disagree. Jacoby Jones in my opinon has improve as a receiver and he knows Gary Kubiak offense which gives him a edge over Marlon Brown. 

Marlon did well as a rookie so I am pretty confident he will pick up Kubiaks offense so I don't think gives Jones that much of an edge.

#13 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

It's moments like this that i'm truly thankful for Ozzie.

mj5v69.jpg

#14 billick

billick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

JJ led the team in total yards despite being injured by a player on his own team.

Does any one here watch the games ?

Offensive Genuis & Quarterback Guru

#15 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

The way you feel about Aiken is how we felt about Deonte last year. The difference is Aiken aside from game one hasn't done anything during the actual games. Aiken has one final chance Thursday to prove himself. If Deonte drops balls and fumbles and Aiken catches a TD or two then he could still his spot. Camp is on this team's roster whether it's on the 53 or a mysterious IR stash. Deonte gives you and explosive RS as well as a capable deep threat. If Aiken can only practice well and make some ST tackles then he gets the PS.

post-53455-0-40820000-1365601474_thumb.j

#16 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,726 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

The way you feel about Aiken is how we felt about Deonte last year. The difference is Aiken aside from game one hasn't done anything during the actual games. Aiken has one final chance Thursday to prove himself. If Deonte drops balls and fumbles and Aiken catches a TD or two then he could still his spot. Camp is on this team's roster whether it's on the 53 or a mysterious IR stash. Deonte gives you and explosive RS as well as a capable deep threat. If Aiken can only practice well and make some ST tackles then he gets the PS.

I'm not sure Thursday really matters.  Roster decisions are pretty much already made at this point.  I don't think there's ever been a guy that completely stood out in the 4th game (unless he stood out in the others, as well) that has actually made the team.  These decisions are practically settled already,

#17 Ravensuperfan1

Ravensuperfan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

Campanero won't touch the field this season unless we get like 3 injuries at the position 

#18 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,167 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

Campanero won't touch the field this season unless we get like 3 injuries at the position 

I don't think you understand the type of player Campanero is. He's the kind of guy that won't see the top three spots for a while, but the coaches WILL get that talent on the field. He's a weapon. Not your typical starting WR guy yet, but he is a legitimate weapon and you're straight up kidding yourself if you think injuries are the only thing that'll get him on the field.

#19 Ravensuperfan1

Ravensuperfan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

I don't think you understand the type of player Campanero is. He's the kind of guy that won't see the top three spots for a while, but the coaches WILL get that talent on the field. He's a weapon. Not your typical starting WR guy yet, but he is a legitimate weapon and you're straight up kidding yourself if you think injuries are the only thing that'll get him on the field.

ok so who would you put him on the field over?

He wouldn't even crack our top 2 KR or PR spots right now, without injuries

#20 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,485 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

ok so who would you put him on the field over?

He wouldn't even crack our top 2 KR or PR spots right now, without injuries

......only because he is a rookie. He will eventually prove to be one of the great steals of the 2014 draft.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users