126 replies to this topic

#1 I AM LEGEND

I AM LEGEND

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Letting Dilfer walk after the Superbowl....or letting Boldin walk after the Superbowl.

Both I think were extremely valuable. Dilfer alittle more under appreciated.

Post-Dilfer we still ended up a playoff team. Post -Boldin we were one game short.

What team do u think had a better shot of repeating if they kept said player?

Edited by I AM LEGEND, 20 August 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#2 acranfor

acranfor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

The team after the first superbowl had the best chance to repeat, but losing Dilfer was not the reason we did not. Losing Jamal Lewis to injury was the biggest blow.

We were not a superbowl team last year even if we had Boldin.

BUT to answer your question, I think losing Boldin was the bigger mistake in that he was the more 'impactful' player.

#3 757RavensFan

757RavensFan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

I think losing Boldin was the bigger mistake. I personally feel with him the Ravens would have won 2 more games and that would have got them to the playoffs.

#4 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

The biggest mistake? Bringing up Boldin once again

#5 BSHU_Miami

BSHU_Miami

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Not drafting a corner

#6 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Do not know how much of an impact Boldin would have made especially with injuries at key positions player departures and lack of the run game.

#7 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

Boldin wouldn't have magically made the OL play better, cured all of our injured players or help Ed Dickson hold on to the ball. And those are just the issues the team had on the field. Our coaching staff was a mess, too. No, the only thing, that could've saved us last year, would be a carreer year by Flacco and the opposite happened.

I still miss Q. He, Ed and BP were my favorite players on the team. I can understand why we let them go, but it was still hard to go through.

bJNF689.jpg

#8 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,811 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

I call shenanigans. NEITHER was a mistake, so one cannot be a bigger "mistake" than the other.

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#9 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Good one!

I think it was definitely Dilfer. No matter how pedestrian his play, he would have done much better than Elvis in 2001. Losing Boldin last year is way over blown. Losing our O line and Pitta is what killed the Ravens in 2013.

#10 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Good one!

I think it was definitely Dilfer. No matter how pedestrian his play, he would have done much better than Elvis in 2001. Losing Boldin last year is way over blown. Losing our O line and Pitta is what killed the Ravens in 2013.

I wasn't really a fan of football back then, but from all of my understandings, Dilfer wasn't going to win games, but he could at least manage them really well. With that defense and running game, hard to imagine the Ravens not doing better with Dilfer.

#11 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Good one!

Elvis Grbac was in 14 games played 14 games started  56.7% completions 3,033 yards 15 td's and 18 int's with no running game.

Trent Dilfer was 11 games 8 started 59.3% completions 1,502 yards 12 td's and 11 int's. Trent Dilfer has never in his entire career passed for 2,900 yards in an entire season 16 games included. I'm glad he was our qb that won our first super bowl but lets be honest he was a mediocre qb that knew how to manage the game. If he was our qb the year after with no running game he woudn't have made it through the season. Randall Cunningham would've taken over midway and we would've had a better chance at repeating over both Elvis and Trent IMO. Jamal Lewis was the biggest loss over the two mentioned choices.

Another choice could've been keeping Trawick over Rainey for the final roster spot. With Pierce and Rice banged up I think Rainey would've sparked the running game a little more to help out. Rice didn't have his burst and Pierce was banged up. Rainey would've got at least 3 yards a carry that would've been better than our 1-2 yard clip last year. Trawick also fell into Jacoby Jones that took him out of the first game against Denver. Who knows with a healthy Jacoby our offense might've been able to score more to keep up with Denver or beat them. We were winning at the half before Jacoby and Oher both ot hurt.

Trent Dilfer was

post-53455-0-40820000-1365601474_thumb.j

#12 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

Not drafting a corner

I wanted the Honey Badger last year.  Would gladly have had him over Arthur Brown. 

#13 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Elvis Grbac was in 14 games played 14 games started  56.7% completions 3,033 yards 15 td's and 18 int's with no running game.

Trent Dilfer was 11 games 8 started 59.3% completions 1,502 yards 12 td's and 11 int's. Trent Dilfer has never in his entire career passed for 2,900 yards in an entire season 16 games included. I'm glad he was our qb that won our first super bowl but lets be honest he was a mediocre qb that knew how to manage the game. If he was our qb the year after with no running game he woudn't have made it through the season. Randall Cunningham would've taken over midway and we would've had a better chance at repeating over both Elvis and Trent IMO. Jamal Lewis was the biggest loss over the two mentioned choices.

Another choice could've been keeping Trawick over Rainey for the final roster spot. With Pierce and Rice banged up I think Rainey would've sparked the running game a little more to help out. Rice didn't have his burst and Pierce was banged up. Rainey would've got at least 3 yards a carry that would've been better than our 1-2 yard clip last year. Trawick also fell into Jacoby Jones that took him out of the first game against Denver. Who knows with a healthy Jacoby our offense might've been able to score more to keep up with Denver or beat them. We were winning at the half before Jacoby and Oher both ot hurt.

Trent Dilfer was

eh, Elvis was just a quitter.  It was painful to see his t. brady impression and just fall down when rushed. No matter, as painful as it seemed, losing Q was not what made us fail last year.

lol......you're right.  If nothing else, keeping Rainey would have saved JJ!  But I doubt anyone could have done much with the O line play of last year.

#14 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Not firing Cam and getting rid of the traditional Air Coryell sooner (which almost never perfectly fit our personnel), and replacing him with a top 10 OC who ran a modern offense more in line with what the rest of the league has been running. We might have gotten Ed and Ray at least one more ring as the 2011 team was strong with the 2010 team close behind. And Joe would be further along in his development as a QB.

#15 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

Actually the biggest mistake was reading this thread.

It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#16 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Actually the biggest mistake was reading this thread.

+1

#17 Warren2621

Warren2621

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

I get so tired of this Boldin topic because you would think our fans would understand what the situation was. 

Ok, the Ravens just won the super bowl and had serious salary cap issues. Does no one realize that winning the super bowl isnt realistic EVERY season? Boldin had one year left on his deal and was owed over 7 million for that one year. By keeping him, that is saying "we are making this huge investment because it is a crucial piece to the super bowl."

Do you really think we were going to repeat as champs just by bringing Boldin back? And if he was brought back, it would have been for ONE year. So what happens when we keep him for that one year, DONT win the super bowl, and then are thin at a position of need that could have been filled with the cap room made by getting rid of Boldin?

I dont understand why people continue to question what this front office does. The money made sense. Boldin had only one year left. Why is it so hard to understand why the team cut ties when it did? They needed more help last season than just Boldin. 

#18 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

I'd rather have Dumervil than Boldin.  No chance we would have gotten him if we kept Boldin.  

People seem to think Boldin would have magically fixed the offense last season.  Guess what, it wouldn't.  Now we have Steve Smith and Dumervil.

Edited by dhstandard, 20 August 2014 - 06:13 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#19 Static

Static

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

People need to let Boldin go. I don't understand the fascination with him to this day. He disappeared in games just like the rest of our WRs.

He wouldn't have made us any bettee last year any better considering the additions made with his money.

Bodybuilder , Rugby Player , and Diehard fan. 

#TeamBrooks!!

#20 Ravensuperfan1

Ravensuperfan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

obviously Anquan. He is a beast and still a good WR. Obviously it was a cap issue so it wasn't like we wanted to let him go. 

Dilfer wasn't a good QB. It was a failure of the Ravens not getting a good QB till Steve McNair, but i don't fault them for getting rid of Dilfer completely.

Ravens obviously didn't foresee the injuries to Jacoby and Pitta coming, or KO and Ray Rice which ruined our offense last season, so having Anquan would have helped.

We got so desperate we signed Dallas Clark and Brandon Stockley.  Basically all we had was Torrey with the emergence of Marlon Brown. Despite all the koolaide ppl were drinking about our WR depth truth was we only had 3 options after Anquan (Torrey, Jacoby, Pitta)  when those 2 went down that was it for the passing game. Deonte Thompson looked like he had shot at being a number 2, but injuries and poor play killed that dream.   I think if we had Anquan we would have made the playoffs, but not done much more.  The offensive line was the biggest issues.

Anquan would have made some plays other receivers didn't and he and Flacco had just gotten some really good chemistry.  Anquan was really good at blocking on outside runs, and always fought back for the balls when Joe was under fire.

Dilfer's job was just not to screw up and turn the ball over.  Our offense was Jamal to the right and Jamal to the left, and once in a blue moon we needed Dilfer to complete a past, but it was pretty much don't turn the ball over and get it in Field Goal range.

Heck Tony Banks started off way better than Dilfer, than he fell apart out of nowhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users