15 replies to this topic

#1 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

The Lions parted with Drayton Florence and it will be interesting to see if the Ravens pick him up. We had him in for our minicamp, so I would not be surprised if the Ravens bring him in to provide veteran depth especially since our CB's are injury prone. Not to mention now with the PS being 10 players we could store more of our rookie CB's. Anyone else think we could potentially bring him in? 

#2 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

If the lions of all teams cut him.....
Banned

#3 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

If we wanted him, I think we would have signed him back when he tried out.  Word is that his tryout didn't go too well at all.  It's possible, but if he only lasted about 2 weeks on a CB starved Lions team, there's a good chance there's very little left in the tank.

#4 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

If the lions of all teams cut him.....

The Lions are looking to get younger it doesn't necessarily mean he was awful during his two weeks with them. What's it going to hurt to bring him in for a preseason game and see how he performs. 

#5 RavensNation14

RavensNation14

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

If we wanted him, I think we would have signed him back when he tried out.  Word is that his tryout didn't go too well at all.  It's possible, but if he only lasted about 2 weeks on a CB starved Lions team, there's a good chance there's very little left in the tank.

I think we just preferred Franks and Ross better. Now that Ross is gone we may look to take Florence to provide a veteran in our secondary. 

#6 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

I think we just preferred Franks and Ross better. Now that Ross is gone we may look to take Florence to provide a veteran in our secondary.

You've seen how bad Franks has been. The Ravens just didn't think Florence would be that good here, and it's hard to not agree

#7 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

We still had an opportunity to add him after Ross went down and we still passed on him, and that was before Asa emerged and when Chykie was in his heaviest of struggles.  I was very interested in him, but being cut by the Lions does not bode well at all.  That Carolina front 7 really helped him out last year.

#8 acranfor

acranfor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

You've seen how bad Franks has been. The Ravens just didn't think Florence would be that good here, and it's hard to not agree

Franks has actually graded out pretty well. He has not given up many completions other than the bad one to Dez. BUT he was 1 on 1 with the 2nd best WR in the game. It was a mismatch to begin with.

He entered much earlier and the overall results weren’t bad. He never found the ball and overran the TD pass to Bryant (Q1, 6;51), but the other 3 passes directed his way all went incomplete. His game highlight was a vicious hit on Harris (Q2, 14:18) where he appropriately went for the body on 3rd down short of the sticks.

I think Franks could be a solid 3 or 4 CB.

I still think people are overreacting to our CB situation. We will be more than fine if everyone is healthy. Smith, Webb, Asa, Franks, Brown is a solid group - more solid than what we have had in years past. 

Injuries suck, but I truly believe if the season started Sunday, all of them would be good to go. They are just taking precautions in pre season.  

Edited by acranfor, 20 August 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#9 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Franks has actually graded out pretty well. He has not given up many completions other than the bad one to Dez. BUT he was 1 on 1 with the 2nd best WR in the game. It was a mismatch to begin with.

He entered much earlier and the overall results weren’t bad. He never found the ball and overran the TD pass to Bryant (Q1, 6;51), but the other 3 passes directed his way all went incomplete. His game highlight was a vicious hit on Harris (Q2, 14:18) where he appropriately went for the body on 3rd down short of the sticks.

I think Franks could be a solid 3 or 4 CB.

I still think people are overreacting to our CB situation. We will be more than fine if everyone is healthy. Smith, Webb, Asa, Franks, Brown is a solid group - more solid than what we have had in years past. 

Injuries suck, but I truly believe if the season started Sunday, all of them would be good to go. They are just taking precautions in pre season.  

How was he ranked in the 49ers game?

#10 acranfor

acranfor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

How was he ranked in the 49ers game?

Played well when able to read the eyes of a 4th-string QB with a PD and INT on the 49ers final drive.

That is not my analysis. He played sparingly in the 1st game. He has only recently shot up the depth charts. I think he may be ahead of Chykie now...

FYI:

49ers

http://russellstreet...eseason-opener/

Cowboys

http://russellstreet...-safety-patrol/

Edited by acranfor, 20 August 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#11 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Played well when able to read the eyes of a 4th-string QB with a PD and INT on the 49ers final drive.

That is not my analysis. He played sparingly in the 1st game. He has only recently shot up the depth charts. I think he may be ahead of Chykie now...

FYI:

49ers

http://russellstreet...eseason-opener/

Cowboys

http://russellstreet...-safety-patrol/

Oh, it's RSR. I thought this was PFF. Well, that writer is probably the best of the bunch at RSR

#12 acranfor

acranfor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Oh, it's RSR. I thought this was PFF. Well, that writer is probably the best of the bunch at RSR

Yes, he is probably the best analytical writer outside of PFF I have found. I wish I had a PFF subscription, but cannot justify it.

A lot of good reads:

http://russellstreet...r/ken_mckusick/

Edited by acranfor, 20 August 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#13 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,087 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

I think Franks and Jacobs have to feel good about their chances of making this team. Webb, Smith, Jackson are all but locks and conventionally you'd assume Brown is included in that group but recently he might not be. He does offer value as a gunner and isn't an awful fourth string CB but with the injury history of both top CB it's slightly alarming. This is especially true of Webb.

Here's a spin-off question: if Webb gets hurt again and is somehow done for the year do you cut him or move him? He counts for quite a large sum of money to not be reliable for at least 14 games.

As for the question itself, I think Florence is better off not here. I think the elite DL that Carolina has really helped him in terms of pressure on the QB. Not sure he would get the same benefit here.

#14 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

beggars cant be choosers.

I realize we are not begging,,,,,, YET.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#15 Tenacious Faulker

Tenacious Faulker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

Drayton Florenece who...?

“Attack this day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind”  

~ Harbaugh family creed

#16 sflegend89

sflegend89

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:41 AM

He's just name value at this point. Florence didn't get signed after a try out with both us and KC prior to the Lions signing him.. Detroit needs all the help they can get in their secondary, if they've already cut him then it's a clear sign that something is wrong with how he's playing. 

To be honest if any of the FA cb's had anything to offer at this point in the offseason then they would be on someone's roster. Our only hope at adding more cb depth is after the final round of cuts around the NFL (good corners don't just get cut but maybe an upgrade over Chykie is realistic). Then there's the route that I would prefer us to go and that's looking for a mid tier corner via trade.

<p>"I run wherever I land on the runway, gimme daylight and I'm Justin Forsett on a run play" - LOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users