Photo

After 2 preseason games, how do you REALLY feel?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

I just want some honest discourse on the state of our Ravens after 2 preseason games. Let me begin first. I am somewhat dejected with both our first team offense and defense. More so with our defense than our offense because I had such high expectations for our defense.

My gripe is the calls are very vanilla (as expected to be in the pre-season), but our inability to stop the run is horrifying. It reminds me of last year. I know Pees won us a SB, but I don't think he is what the Ravens D is all about frankly. We are about disruption, turnovers, intimidation, smash mouth defense, organized chaos, etc, etc. (Remember Rex, Pagano, Marvin Lewis, etc?) We were feared by the entire league. Not anymore I don't think with Dean Pees with due respect. 

With regard to the offense, considering it is a new offense, I think we'll be alright come regular season. We may not be at the top of our game but will get there by season's end. Joe hopefully doesn't hold on to the ball any longer than he has to, because that is where our offensive woes typically start. Other than that, I am hopeful of our offense.

As much as you may not like what I have to say, I just thought it is time we have an honest discourse about our team after the first 2 preseason games by answering two important questions.

A) Are we really on our way to becoming a top 5 defense??

B) Are we going to win the time of possession battle and put up enough points for our D to defend?

Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

#2 PerpetuallyBored74

PerpetuallyBored74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Defense is a work in progress, and probably will be all or most of the season with these injuries.

Offense will be fine as long as Joe plays decisively instead of tentatively, as the running game is back.

#3 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,475 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

Like the regular season needs to get here.  Now.  

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#4 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

We're not a pretty team. We don't have players that the media fawns over. We're not on anyone's top 10 anything. Teams are going to score on us and stop some of our drives. But the defense has the ability to be on lockdown and the offense has the potential to score from any yard marker, and we'll be fine if we can master the situations where someone needs to come through. That's been the trademark of the team's success over the last few years.

#5 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

Ehh I honestly don't know whether this team will be good or bad based on two pre season games. I'm just going to wait and see what happens come regular season. 

Edited by Cville-Raven, 17 August 2014 - 10:56 PM.

#6 sflegend89

sflegend89

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

Totally undecided whether I believe the team is in title contention at this point. I believe the offense will be better than last year but that's not saying a lot when you think about how bad they struggled. Haven't seen enough of Kubiak/starting offense to decide whether I see a slight improvement or major improvement, at least we're running the ball well that's a huge plus for me. I've been very impressed with how far Juice has come as a lead blocker since last year and Rice looks like his old self again so those are positives. wr is a lot deeper than it's ever been.. I'll also give Talliaferro his props, looks like we might have the big bodied short yardage back we've been missing since Jamal Lewis/ Le'ron McClain.

The defense I'm more concerned about than I'd like to be. The DL haven't been firing off the ball all that well and our depth at cb makes me very uneasy. I don't like the thought of Chykie or Franks having to play a lot of snaps in a game that means anything. Run D has also been too soft for my liking so far. At least Mosley looks like a stud and Asa has really rose to the occasion, those have to be my biggest positives on that side of the ball.

Edited by sflegend89, 17 August 2014 - 11:46 PM.

<p>"I run wherever I land on the runway, gimme daylight and I'm Justin Forsett on a run play" - LOS

#7 BMORE21

BMORE21

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

Our defense is terrible, its like we have no type  of schemes. All those talented Lbs we have and we still look like [crap]. Without our secondary coach, you can already tell our cbs and safteys are having trouble.

#8 BMORE21

BMORE21

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:42 PM

Flacco still making inaccurate throws and still not getting the ball out fast enough. The only I see so far is the Oline and run game

#9 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

Today's NFL is a pass first league and the emphasis this year is on the no-touch WR. If our offense is run first we're negating the advantage the rules give the passing attack. The flags are going to fly, the 1st downs are going to pile up with pass interference calls. That's a tool we seem to be saying we're not going to use bc we're gonna run the ball instead. If the league follows through with the enforcement of the no contact after 5 yds, WRs are going to be wide open & scoring will soar. Last year we averaged 20 pts/gm. This year, I'm guessing, if teams don't score 28pts they're going to lose.

The league wants scoring and has opened the passing game to facilitate it. We may regret a run first scheme, a dearth of high caliber DBs and the lack of better WRs.

It will be interesting to watch this year play-out for the Ravens. The hi/lo ... 10-6 // 7-9.

#10 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

I just want some honest discourse on the state of our Ravens after 2 preseason games. Let me begin first. I am somewhat dejected with both our first team offense and defense. More so with our defense than our offense because I had such high expectations for our defense.

My gripe is the calls are very vanilla (as expected to be in the pre-season), but our inability to stop the run is horrifying. It reminds me of last year. I know Pees won us a SB, but I don't think he is what the Ravens D is all about frankly. We are about disruption, turnovers, intimidation, smash mouth defense, organized chaos, etc, etc. (Remember Rex, Pagano, Marvin Lewis, etc?) We were feared by the entire league. Not anymore I don't think with Dean Pees with due respect. 

With regard to the offense, considering it is a new offense, I think we'll be alright come regular season. We may not be at the top of our game but will get there by season's end. Joe hopefully doesn't hold on to the ball any longer than he has to, because that is where our offensive woes typically start. Other than that, I am hopeful of our offense.

As much as you may not like what I have to say, I just thought it is time we have an honest discourse about our team after the first 2 preseason games by answering two important questions.

A) Are we really on our way to becoming a top 5 defense??

B) Are we going to win the time of possession battle and put up enough points for our D to defend?

Why would you gripe about what is to be expected in the preseason? :D

#Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

#11 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

I feel like this is a 7-9 team.

#12 edthehead

edthehead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

I know it is preseason and I know it is vanilla schemes,BUT,I am a lil worried ,,2nd and 18 DEZ makes the first down,,(should not have happened)the running and passing was given to them,the offense started slow AGAIN,,,,I tell allot of people here in Atlanta that we were 3 points away from the playoffs,so when I see us start slow it is a lil worrisome ,,  Dan pees have had the luxury of excuses injured players  Superbowl and the offense (last year) was so that we forget the defense allowed a game or two in losses,,so what will it take,,,I know sexy Rexy said he do not care what he has player wise,he will always have a good defense,you all remember in the past we had people and it worked,,C'MON DAN MAKE IT WORK,,                                            ,this was entirely to long   

#13 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

When has this team ever looked good in pre season?  Serious question cause I don't remember.

#14 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

When has this team ever looked good in pre season?  Serious question cause I don't remember.

Not a bad question honestly. Though I would actually say the Super Bowl season...we looked awesome against Jacksonville in game 3. We looked crap against Detroit in preseason game 2 though (and I remember this because I was there).

Even in 2011 in preseason game 3 it was a mixed bag vs. Washington. Flacco threw a pick-6. He eventually threw a TD to Lee Evans, but that was early in the third and at that point Washington had taken out some starters.

#15 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Way too early to make a judgment call. We are without our 3 starting corners, and our secondary should be better.

Offense just needs more time to develop. We should be good first 3 games, but the offense will be at it's peak mid season-. Not really worried.!
Banned

#16 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Way too early to make a judgment call. We are without our 3 starting corners, and our secondary should be better.

Offense just needs more time to develop. We should be good first 3 games, but the offense will be at it's peak mid season-. Not really worried.!

Unfortunately a slow offense to start basically dooms our season...a 1-2 start might not kill our playoffs chances but it pretty much destroys any shot of winning the division.

#17 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Unfortunately a slow offense to start basically dooms our season...a 1-2 start might not kill our playoffs chances but it pretty much destroys any shot of winning the division.

How they start the season is key.  I honestly feel this team can finish with 11+ wins, but the first 3 games will dictate a lot.  Nothing against Rice, but I'm actually kind of happy to see how Pierce does finally getting starts.  I think he proves his worth to the team early.

All the preseason games are a blur to me.  I remember that Pitta catch though and Jimmy getting mossed by I think Vincent Jackson.

Edited by redrum52, 18 August 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#18 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Pitsburgh's secondary situation lacks personnel. Ours is just unlucky. We should beat them. Not afraid of their defense.

Bengals I'm worried about. But outside of last year, which was a revenge game for the Broncos. Hasn't Harbaugh always done good week one?
Banned

#19 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

I feel like this is a 7-9 team.

Haha...... I'll bet you whatever you want that we finish much better than that. 7 and 9? LMAO!

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#20 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

I don't think you can honestly talk about the state of the Ravens after 2 games. When we haven't even played our starters against other starters that much. You have new systems and players getting acclimated to the NFL and you're playing vanilla schemes. I would wait until after the next preseason game when the roster gets cut down to 75. That way you actually see players who will actually play in this league and possibly on this team. Our schemes are vanilla and we don't even have our starting corner backs playing together yet. Pees usually has the defense playing well come season time. We may give up some runs or passes but we buckle down in the redzone. i expect us to become a better defense as the season come along and we get some game experienc for our young players. The 4th preseason game will primarily be a game where we find our final 53.

post-53455-0-40820000-1365601474_thumb.j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users