30 replies to this topic

#1 Sam

Sam

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

Wonder if there is any interest in Samuel with us being thin at DB? with so many down, might not be a bad pick up.

#2 BmoreBird22

BmoreBird22

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

That's a negative, Ghost Rider

#3 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

I'm sure he'd be here by now if we really wanted him.  I think it's quite obvious that we're not a fan of anything left on the bare market, and we're waiting to see if any other options become available.  Besides, at this point in his career, Samuel isn't much more than a name.  He was terrible last year.

#4 52520Andrew

52520Andrew

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

We would have brought him in with Ross and Franks if we were interested. I don't think we get a CB on the open market if we do get one unless they are a cut.

In Ozzie We Trust

#5 hn68wb4

hn68wb4

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

At this point it pretty obvious that either teams think he's done or he's asking too much money. Either could be reason why he's on the market but I'm leaning towards him being done. He's 33 and, based off last year, he hasn't got much left in the tank, I suppose its not out of the realm of possibility to bring him in solely for depth but i don't think its likely at all. If we're going to sign someone it'll probably be a cut, if the FO was going to sign someone off the free market they would've done it by now so they can learn the playbook and get reps in the preseason, so a FA probably isn't going to happen.

#6 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'm in the minority but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in. Now, if Webb, Smith and Asa/Chykie are healthy and can play there is not need for Asante. However, the Webb situation is concerning and if he can't play to start the season off, then Asante is not a terrible option. 

#7 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

At this point it pretty obvious that either teams think he's done or he's asking too much money. Either could be reason why he's on the market but I'm leaning towards him being done. He's 33 and, based off last year, he hasn't got much left in the tank, I suppose its not out of the realm of possibility to bring him in solely for depth but i don't think its likely at all. If we're going to sign someone it'll probably be a cut, if the FO was going to sign someone off the free market they would've done it by now so they can learn the playbook and get reps in the preseason, so a FA probably isn't going to happen.

Last year he was dealing with a thigh injury and maybe more which may had some dealings with his  performance atleast preventing him from playing at his best. Not sure if Samuel is a good fit for our secondary though

#8 I AM LEGEND

I AM LEGEND

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Anyone saying No obviously hasn't seen what we're potentially going into the start of the season with as a secondary.

Any and everyone is worth a try...keyword try. If it doesn't look like its working. Let em walk.

#9 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

Anyone saying No obviously hasn't seen what we're potentially going into the start of the season with as a secondary.

Any and everyone is worth a try...keyword try. If it doesn't look like its working. Let em walk.

The whole "trying" period is pretty much over.  With training camp done, practices are heavy on game planning and not player evaluating.

Plus, you aren't getting Samuel for the minimum.  If you want him, you likely have to guarantee him something.  He's made it obvious to other teams that he has a price in mind or he'll call it a career.

#10 Puntit

Puntit

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

He's got nothing left. If we want a guy who can't cover any more we have plenty of rookies on the roster with upside, plus we have a ton of young safety prospects we like that might be willing to try and convert to CB to make the team. If Chykie, franks and company aren't up to snuff, cut em and carry seven safeties -- most are better special teams guys anyhow. In the mean time, teams are going to have to start cutting down to get to 53 pretty soon. Ozzie will find a roster casualty we like better then whomever we decide isn't cutting it. And that assumes we won't have Webb, Smith and Jackson ready to go by then.

#11 RavensDE

RavensDE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

Oz and Co. look like they want to see what we have in the young boys and then jump on the scrap heap after roster cuts. We prefer not to pay top dollar or even medium dollar but we saved this last bit of cap room for a reason.

I wouldn't expect Asante to play for the minimum and I don't think he's the kind of corner we covet. That said if we were desperate and he was an upgrade we'd sign him and scheme away from his weaknesses. (We won't)

#12 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

ahem... no thanks.

Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

#13 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

The fact that he hasn't signed at this point leads me to believe he's asking for more money than any team is willing to pay him.

#14 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

It doesn't matter at this point but I would've liked to see the Ravens spend their money on Champ Bailey when he was a free agent. We have this extra money and Bailey got a super cheap deal with the Saints competitively speaking.

As for Samuels, I think that ship has sailed, personally. Perhaps he could be an effective safety, I don't know, but I wouldn't trust him at CB. It's also not that easy to change from CB to FS. Samuels really doesn't fit what we do here. Training camp is also over do he doesn't even provide competition.

#15 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

It doesn't matter at this point but I would've liked to see the Ravens spend their money on Champ Bailey when he was a free agent. We have this extra money and Bailey got a super cheap deal with the Saints competitively speaking.

As for Samuels, I think that ship has sailed, personally. Perhaps he could be an effective safety, I don't know, but I wouldn't trust him at CB. It's also not that easy to change from CB to FS. Samuels really doesn't fit what we do here. Training camp is also over do he doesn't even provide competition.

The only thing I say about Champ Bailey...  Also older...  our guys burned him bad in the playoffs....  So, not thinking he has a lot left either... and I know he's the kinda guy who is asking for top $$$ too.  Both of these guys need to understand that they aren't top corners anymore.

117hd79.jpg

#16 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

The only thing I say about Champ Bailey... Also older... our guys burned him bad in the playoffs.... So, not thinking he has a lot left either... and I know he's the kinda guy who is asking for top $$$ too. Both of these guys need to understand that they aren't top corners anymore.

Champ got a deal for like two years at 3M total. That's like about 1.5m each year. That's peanuts.

#17 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

Well  from what I been seeing there is possibility Champ could be cut by The Saints. He hasn't been able to practice much in training camp and has missed two preseason games so far. For a guy his age sometimes it can be easy to be lost in sauce especially if the young guys are tearing it up in your absence.

#18 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

Well  from what I been seeing there is possibility Champ could be cut by The Saints. He hasn't been able to practice much in training camp and has missed two preseason games so far. For a guy his age sometimes it can be easy to be lost in sauce especially if the young guys are tearing it up in your absence.

Huh, that's interesting. Admittedly, I haven't followed other teams quite as closely as in years past. I just felt like he was a decent CB with experience who could perhaps help some of our younger CBs along and play a role in the defense. He's definitely older, but at like 1.5M or so that's cheap. 

#19 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,084 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Just what we need...someone else who can't get on the field. SMH
15fqib6.jpg

#20 The Mom Gene

The Mom Gene

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Champ got a deal for like two years at 3M total. That's like about 1.5m each year. That's peanuts.

Just sayin' Grim....  We don't need anymore old guys...  We did that one last year with Clark and Stokley, and we all see how that worked out for us.

117hd79.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users