17 replies to this topic

#1 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

My buddies and I decided to start a 20 man fantasy league. this league is for money ($10 buy in, $140 winner, $40 second place, third gets $20). I'm drafting 16th in a snake draft format. I got so ideas of guys who might fall to be and I'm praying one of Murray, Morris, Bell, Bernard, or Ellington last to me. Any ideas who I should target?

Standard scoring btw on Espn

Edited by ravensnick, 15 August 2014 - 09:07 AM.

God, Glory, and Texas Football

Hook 'em Horns

#2 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,890 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

My buddies and I decided to start a 20 man fantasy league. this league is for money ($10 buy in, $140 winner, $40 second place, third gets $20). I'm drafting 16th in a snake draft format. I got so ideas of guys who might fall to be and I'm praying one of Murray, Morris, Bell, Bernard, or Ellington last to me. Any ideas who I should target?

Standard scoring btw on Espn

Those are all good guys.  In a 16 team league, I highly suggest to make sure you keep your focus on RB.  It doesn't have to be with the first two picks.  Midway through the season, the number one regret is that you never have enough RBs in a 16 team league.  

Murray would be at the top of that list for me.   Playing behind a potentially great O-line.  I'd also throw in Zac Stacy onto that list.  But one of the top WRs isn't out of the picture either.  Its really a personal preference where you are picking.  

Posted Image

#3 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

I would consider graham as well.

2014 BR.COM Forum Franchise Draft

NY Giants

Round 1: Zack Martin(OT/G), Notre Dame  Round 2:  Demarcus Lawrence(DE), Boise St.  Round 4:  Preston Brown(LB), Louisville.  Round 4:  Devonta Freeman(RB), Florida St. Round 4:  Devin Street(Wr), Pitt.  Round 5:  Aaron Murray(QB) Georgia  Round 6:  Jalen Saunders(Wr), Oklahoma, Round 6:  Marcus Williams(CB), North Dakota State  UDFA:  Willie Snead(WR) Ball State, Alden Darby(S)Arizona state, Antonio Andrews(RB) WKU

#4 Dubs

Dubs

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Those are all good guys.  In a 16 team league, I highly suggest to make sure you keep your focus on RB.  It doesn't have to be with the first two picks.  Midway through the season, the number one regret is that you never have enough RBs in a 16 team league.  

Murray would be at the top of that list for me.   Playing behind a potentially great O-line.  I'd also throw in Zac Stacy onto that list.  But one of the top WRs isn't out of the picture either.  Its really a personal preference where you are picking.  

I would echo this especially in a 20 team...even if you are reaching for a RB I would make sure my first two picks were RB, I rarely if ever deviate from this though...Of the non-RBs to go it may be Calvin Johnson, Peyton, Jimmy Graham, and maybe an AJ Green, Julio Jones, Demaryius (may be missing some) but that is maybe 3-6 non RBs (on the safe side)...You should get a shot at Demarco Murray or someone similar. 

First round I would hope for: Murray, Alfred Morris, Zac Stacy, Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Ryan Matthews, Reggie Bush

For second round personally I would take: Frank Gore, Toby Gerhart, Jennings, Bishop Sankey...after that I would probably deviate unless you like Ray Rice, CJ, Ben Tate, MJD, Lamar Miller

Edited by Dubs, 15 August 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#5 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,890 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

I would echo this especially in a 20 team...even if you are reaching for a RB I would make sure my first two picks were RB, I rarely if ever deviate from this though...Of the non-RBs to go it may be Calvin Johnson, Peyton, Jimmy Graham, and maybe an AJ Green, Julio Jones, Demaryius (may be missing some) but that is maybe 3-6 non RBs (on the safe side)...You should get a shot at Demarco Murray or someone similar. 

First round I would hope for: Murray, Alfred Morris, Zac Stacy, Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Ryan Matthews, Reggie Bush

For second round personally I would take: Frank Gore, Toby Gerhart, Jennings, Bishop Sankey...after that I would probably deviate unless you like Ray Rice, CJ, Ben Tate, MJD, Lamar Miller

Even though he said 20 teams twice, I thought 16 team (but that's where he's picking).  But yes, in a 20 team league, RBs are even more important.  You can never have enough RBs in a 16+ league.  If you end up having two many, you can always fleece someone who needs one (there will be many).

I would also add that in deep leagues, QBs come back into importance.  I'm not saying draft one in the first two rounds.  But their value does get bumped up because of the limited number of quality QBs to teams.  If a position needs to suffer, let it be WR.  There is plenty of WR depth and the waiver wire is always filled with WRs.  

Posted Image

#6 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

I think graham, if available and then two running backs could be a huge advantage here.

NY Giants

Round 1: Zack Martin(OT/G), Notre Dame  Round 2:  Demarcus Lawrence(DE), Boise St.  Round 4:  Preston Brown(LB), Louisville.  Round 4:  Devonta Freeman(RB), Florida St. Round 4:  Devin Street(Wr), Pitt.  Round 5:  Aaron Murray(QB) Georgia  Round 6:  Jalen Saunders(Wr), Oklahoma, Round 6:  Marcus Williams(CB), North Dakota State  UDFA:  Willie Snead(WR) Ball State, Alden Darby(S)Arizona state, Antonio Andrews(RB) WKU

#7 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

In a 20 man draft, I'd go for a qb and then an rb if possible

#8 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. Right now, I'm hoping I can get one of Murray, Stacy, or bell with my first pick at 16 and one of Bernard or Ellington at 24.

Hook 'em Horns

#9 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the responses. Right now, I'm hoping I can get one of Murray, Stacy, or bell with my first pick at 16 and one of Bernard or Ellington at 24.

Take a qb or you will get screwed

#10 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

Highly disagree. It's still a one QB league. QB is still the closest value wise position. Even going 20 deep. I would try to get an elite tight end and an rb with this pick. Those are the two scarcest positions.

NY Giants

#11 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

I'd try to get a good RB and top end WR with your first two picks. Do the same the next two rounds unless QBs start going, then you should try to get one of the top 12 QBs.

If you go RB, RB you are going to be seriously hurting at WR. RB position is too volatile to do that. Top end WRs are much more consistent than your non elite RBs, which you won't be getting at position 16.

I would even consider QB/WR in the first two rounds.

Blitz every down! It's the only way to win!

#12 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Okay I'm going to explain why the pick likely has to be a QB

There are only 32 starting quarterbacks in this league. Of those only about 16-20 are possibly startable (Minn, Cleveland, Houston, Oakland, Tampa, Buffalo, Jax, St. Louis are all not startable imho). The differential between having one of the lower QBs and one of the better QBs is substantial in this scenario. Additionally, if I were one of the teams, Id entertain going QB/QB just to screw another team into starting one of the aforementioned leaving him at a significant disadvantage and thus forcing a trade that could improve you at other positions while maintaining said advantage. It is the weakest position (least depth) in this type of draft.

Runningback value can be found in later rounds. Wide Receiver is even deeper. You may not get a stud, but you can get and manipulate production (Danny Woodhead, Sjax, Cecil Shorts, Colston.)

TE is intriguing, but the only one worth that level of investment is Graham. Otherwise it is a crap shoot.  

Edited by Sizzlebshu, 16 August 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#13 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

IDK, my usaul draft format is to take a QB later and get someone like Romo or Cutler.

Hook 'em Horns

#14 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Okay I'm going to explain why the pick likely has to be a QB

There are only 32 starting quarterbacks in this league. Of those only about 16-20 are possibly startable (Minn, Cleveland, Houston, Oakland, Tampa, Buffalo, Jax, St. Louis are all not startable imho). The differential between having one of the lower QBs and one of the better QBs is substantial in this scenario. Additionally, if I were one of the teams, Id entertain going QB/QB just to screw another team into starting one of the aforementioned leaving him at a significant disadvantage and thus forcing a trade that could improve you at other positions while maintaining said advantage. It is the weakest position (least depth) in this type of draft.

Runningback value can be found in later rounds. Wide Receiver is even deeper. You may not get a stud, but you can get and manipulate production (Danny Woodhead, Sjax, Cecil Shorts, Colston.)

TE is intriguing, but the only one worth that level of investment is Graham. Otherwise it is a crap shoot.  

Agree with WR being deep (very, very deep). But, there are at least 16 guys I'd consider decent fantasy starters or better. I'll probably snatch Flacco/Eli/etc late

Hook 'em Horns

#15 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

Highly disagree. It's still a one QB league. QB is still the closest value wise position. Even going 20 deep. I would try to get an elite tight end and an rb with this pick. Those are the two scarcest positions.

I dislike going for TE high, I picked up Julius Thomas last year. I'll probably shoot for Jordan Reed or Kyle Rudolph.

Hook 'em Horns

#16 ravensnick

ravensnick

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

I'm thinking RB, elite wr if an elite wr is still there. I doubt any qbs besides Manning or Brees really get drafted that early.

Edited by ravensnick, 17 August 2014 - 07:26 PM.

Hook 'em Horns

#17 BMOREHAWAII

BMOREHAWAII

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

Theres viable QB options late in the draft ie. Griffin/Luck/Wilson/Kaepernick, a DECENT amount of WR choices, but RB's are difficult to find.
So like the others said I would stack RB's 1st/2nd then maybe TE or WR depending if PPR or Standard formats.
"If the football gods were to create the perfect defensive player, he would be a MERE IMAGE of the immortal Ray Lewis.."

#18 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,890 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

I'm thinking RB, elite wr if an elite wr is still there. I doubt any qbs besides Manning or Brees really get drafted that early.

Well you received the gauntlet of responses. You just have to see how the draft goes. If QBs start going early and fast because its a deep league, nab one. Or if a stud receiver or Graham falls, consider them.

Just don't leave yourself short at RB in the end is my final suggestion.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users