Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ellicottraven

Ed Reed?

29 posts in this topic

I've been thinking and I have a feeling that bringing back Ed Reed to play free safety on a couple of downs isn't such a bad thing after all. Ed is still a ball hawk as evidence by his INTs last year. I also think he brings the defensive swagger back and will be a coach on the sideline and a mentor to all the young DBs and defensive players over all. 

I was one of those who wanted to have him retire with Ray, but since he's chosen not to retire, why not bring him back and give him a shot? You never know what we could get with Ed. If it doesn't work out, he can retire a Raven and all is well. But if he plays well enough to start for us, then who is better than Ed Reed?

I know it isn't a very popular idea, but just thought I would throw it out there and rekindle the debate a little...

Why? We have a lot of young talent at FS. There's no need. This would only set back the development of our future safeties.

EDIT: And if we were to bring him in for "a couple of downs" and to bring swagger back, then it's a waste of a roster spot and cap room.

No thanks!

Here's my issue with this idea. Ed Reed offers absolutely nothing on ST and you're talking about bringing him in to strictly be a rotational defensive player with no other value than being a coach and a ball hawk. That's essentially it. My problem here is that what does he bring other than his ball hawking skills? Trawick, Levine, Elam, Stewart, Brooks are all players who are being used in both roles--CB and S and they all can play ST. Ed can't do that. Miles is looking good as well, and he can also pick off passes as we saw. I don't think we have the roster spots to make this happen for a player in such a limited role. 

The safety position is set, we already have Brooks, Stewart and Hill. Ed would be a nice coach though...

With a clip board and a whistle is the only way I would take him back.

Dont get me wrong. Love me some Ed Reeeeeeed.

I've a feeling ed has a value and he'd rather sit at home than play for less than it with the stage his body is at. Not worth a life changing injury for peanuts, to him.

I want Ed Reed as an assistant DB coach that works primarily with the Safeties. Teaching them how to watch and read game film and play the postion. i want him hear in that capacity today.

Ed Reed is joining the show Inside The NFL on Showtime. 

Thread closed.

where did you see that? I love that show!

For nostalgia sake of having the greatest Safety to ever play the game back in purple and black and sportin' the #20 jersey?  Yes!  But for common sense? No!

#Mili

It was all over Twitter this afternoon.

Gotcha! I usually read the tweets and stuff after I'm done with the little one.

For nostalgia sake of having the greatest Safety to ever play the game back in purple and black and sportin' the #20 jersey? Yes! But for common sense? No!

#Mili

This lol

where did you see that? I love that show!

It was announced yesterday. He'll join the show starting Sept I believe. He'll join Brandon Marshall, Phil Simms, Boomer Esiason, and others.... 

It was announced yesterday. He'll join the show starting Sept I believe. He'll join Brandon Marshall, Phil Simms, Boomer Esiason, and others....

Thanks LFW has it today!

I truly hate the way Reed has gone about the end of his career. In his last year in Baltimore he was still considered a top Safety, hadn't missed a game in 2 years and produced pretty decently. Finally got that Superbowl in his hometown with Ray Ray and even got an INT to top it off. Could it get any better than that? (Should have retired, imo). 

Reed couldn't give up the game though and he chased the money (don't blame him the least bit). Goes to Houston and finds out the grass isn't always greener. Gets cut ... who would have ever thought the greatest safety ever could get cut? Finishes up as a Jet with Flacco putting a TD right over his head. Now he is in limbo, hasn't officially retired, but no team is interested at the moment. 

Wasn't the way I thought it would finish, but he's still my 2nd favourite player of all time and a Raven for life. I truly hope we can see Reed start his coaching career with the Ravens in any capacity, he will be a great coach if he wants it. 

I truly hate the way Reed gone about the end of his career. In his last year in Baltimore he was still considered a top Safety, hadn't missed a game in 2 years and produced pretty decently. Finally got that Superbowl in his hometown with Ray Ray and even got an INT to top it off. Could it get any better than that? (Should have retired, imo).

Reed couldn't give up the game though and he chased the money (don't blame him the least bit). Goes to Houston and finds out the grass isn't always greener. Gets cut ... who would have ever thought the greatest safety ever could get cut? Finishes up as a Jet with Flacco putting a TD right over his head. Now he is in limbo, hasn't officially retired, but no team is interested at the moment.

Wasn't the way I thought it would finish, but he's still my 2nd favourite player of all time and a Raven for life. I truly hope we can see Reed start his coaching career with the Ravens in any capacity, he will be a great coach if he wants it.

Agreed. The way his 'people' tried to big time Ozzie was shameful.

Agreed. The way his 'people' tried to big time Ozzie was shameful.

Couldn't agree more. All they wanted was a final commission off of an NFL contract and tried to squeeze out as much as they could. It is a business, but it could have been handled with more respect for a guy who gave Ed the platform to succeed. 

Reed could have had the fairy tale happy ending like Ray.... but somehow I don't think he'll regret the 6+ million he made from the Texans and Jets.

I would happily become a Jets fan and renounce the Ravens for a cool 6 million.

won't happen, but its not a bad idea.

Our secondary isn't that good especially our safety position. We lost Ed, Pollard and Ihedigbo our best safeties of the last 3 years. Elam didn't hasn't really shown much yet.  Brooks is still learning.  Stewart won't do too much.

We've got two solid CBs. Neither one is 100% healthy. Web and Jimmy are starting to become injury prone. We use to have good corner depth.  But not anymore. Asa looks good in preseason but is unproven. Chykie simply isn't that good. After that no one else on the current roster should start. I miss Chykie and Carry but no point living int he past, nature of the NFL we got a salary cap and those two deserved their money.

Ed could certainly help educate these young players. Teach them how to read offenses and get lined up.

I'd still be a little concerned about Ed's nerve injury that impeded his tackling ability over the last 3 years or so, but I'd never question his passion, effort, vision or those hands. I know we all saw the ball fly right through Trawick's hands in the last preseason game. Having more than 3 DBs who can catch would certainly be nice.

Ed Reed is joining the show Inside The NFL on Showtime. 

Thread closed.

So what?  Brandon Marshall is on that show...must mean he is retiring right?

Ed should retire. He has nothing more to prove. Superbowl champion, stats, multiple All-pro's and Pro Bowls, first ballot HOFer, made millions, regarded as probably the greatest safety to play the game. Plus his body is done, bad neck, bad hip, bad knees. Just retire and leave us with the memories how great of a player he was, not the shell he is today